As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Cookie Brigade - $17,650+ for Child's Play - You rock East!

ransimransim Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in PAX East
Totals for PAX East 2013

Cookies - Over 11,000 cookies donated
Bakers - over 43 bakers
Distributors - 37+ distributors

Money - $17,420+

This year was a landslide success thanks to the hard work of our brigadiers and the stunning and humbling generosity of the PAX attendees. We also want to thank ThinkGeek for partnering with us and providing some awesome swag to give away to attendees and for running a fun raffle with tickets given out by brigadiers.

Special shout out to the awesome E's in Red, you're always there to yell for us, guide us, and give us a hand. And a big thanks to Jamie Dillion and Child's Play for their help and support. Even on nearly no sleep Jamie was a superstar.

Cookie Brigade East signing off, next up, Cookie/Biscuit Brigade PAX Australia!
If you were looking for information regarding becoming a part of the Cookie Brigade for PAX East 2013 or you're just curious about what we're all about then you're in the right place. We're gearing up for PAX East 2013 and looking forward to trying to smash our record from last year!

If you will be involved with the brigade at PAX East 2013, please fill out this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFh4di16VzR5bUtjVloyV1ZOS2JuZGc6MA#gid=0

If you're not already registered on the Cookie Brigade website please do so ASAP and join our PAX East 2013 group.

Current Announcements...
03/12/2013 - Pax Information Email has been sent! - Please check your inbox for an email containing important Brigade information for PAX East 2013. If you did not receive the email please see the thread on the brigade website.

03/11/2013 - Important Update! Communication at PAX!

03/07/2013 - Cookie Drop Off Locations posted to Brigade Website!

02/04/2013 - Baker/Distributor Survey is live!
Hey guys! PAX East 2013 is now just right around the corner. Like last year we are going to collect information from bakers and distributors who plan to help out ahead of time so we can communicate information with you in a timely manner. If you will be involved with the brigade at PAX East 2013, please fill out this survey:[/b] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFh4di16VzR5bUtjVloyV1ZOS2JuZGc6MA#gid=0

wQojq.png

WHO WE ARE:

The Cookie Brigade is a ragtag group of Penny Arcade Forumers who have assembled since PAX 2007 to provide our fellow gamers with delicious baked goods! Cookies are baked by forumers, brought from afar by forumers, and distributed by forumers!

The Cookie Brigade does not sell cookies. We give cookies away for free.
Brigadiers also accept donations to Child's Play, which are entirely voluntary and greatly appreciated!
It's very convenient to get a cookie and give a donation at the same time.

Starting in 2008, the Cookie Brigade began a mission to give these cookies in exchange for donations to Child's Play, the charity started by Mike and Jerry that provides entertainment to kids in children's hospitals. Since starting on this mission, the Cookie Brigade has raised over $71,000 completely from the handing out of cookies and the reception of donations from the incredible, amazing, and generous PAX community! In 2012 alone we raised over $26,000 for Child's Play! Woooooot! Thank you everyone for your generous donations, you have helped an awesome cause!

WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?

Looking to Volunteer? Head to http://cookie-brigade.com/ for more information!

Looking for some general information? Check us out on the PAX Community Wiki!

Twitter: @Cookie Brigade
G+: Cookie Brigade
Hashtag: #cookiebrigade

I WANT TO HELP IN THE BRIGADE!

If you're interested in
  • Baking delicious cookies
  • Distributing to people during PAX
  • helping with Logistics

We can definitely use your help! Sign up at our website, http://cookie-brigade.com if you wish to participate in the planning, baking, and/or distributing!

An important note: due to certain external pressures on the Brigade, we have to keep some of our more sensitive planning operations private. If you sign up at the Cookie Brigade website, an Administrator will contact you if you're not a known or frequently posting member of the Forums so that we can verify your identity. Thank you for understanding!

BASIC BRIGADE GUIDELINES
  • We give out cookies we do not sell cookies! We do happily pass donations along to Child's Play, so feel free to give us donations if you want.
  • Keep it PG and family friendly. We love to give cookies out to kids and as such we ask all brigadiers to remain family friendly with their cookies (sorry no dickerdoodles) and distributing activities!
  • Have fun and enjoy PAX!

ransim on

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    can't wait !! I'm already thinking about it, and tickets aren't even available yet. crossing my fingers :P

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    I won't be attending the PAX East but my cookies will. Already thinking more cookie ideas.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Figured since I can't Enforce due to being Canadian I may as well distribute if I can!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • d0ughb0yd0ughb0y Registered User regular
    Muahaha :) I will most certainly be in full force!

• d0ughb0yd0ughb0y Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So important, I said it twice!

d0ughb0y on
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    So how does baking for Cookie Brigade usually work? Bake at home, bring to PAX, and drop them off somewhere? I think I saw before that it doesn't have to be cookies only? I'm thinking of helping out with this because I make some pretty bomb from-scratch blueberry muffins.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    @kemikal that's the basic answer. If you are not signed up on the cookie brigade site, you'll want to do that. We have some wrapping and labeling guidelines we want people to follow to prevent health and sanitation issues as well as prevention of allergic reactions.

HI3789R.png
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    IMO, the best part of PAX right here.

• KapolKapol Registered User regular
    I think I might try to help out. Or at the very least see what'd be neccessary to do so. I make some very good chocolate chip cookies according to others, and I did something similar for The Escapist Expo anyways.

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    I have bought delicious cookies at every single PAX East, but I've never participated so I'm not sure how many volunteers there usually are or where/when they usually work. However, here is my polite suggestion on how to increase revenues by a non-trivial amount.

Last year I tried a couple times to 'page' a cookie brigade volunteer via Twitter and the forums. The time I remember most was during the D&D Next Playtest event, which was 3+ hours IIRC. There were dozens of tables of 6 players, and we were all engrossed for hours. About midway through the event, we started to get kind of hungry, but of course no one wanted to take any breaks, and I struck upon the notion that our savior could be a Cookie Brigadier bearing loads of chocolatey delights. Sadly, although someone did end up responded or retweeting, cookies never found their way over there. I think I actually ended up ordering a pizza and having it delivered to the BCEC (the driver just called me when he got there).

I fully understand that it was fairly late at night, and I was just being a whiny brat looking for some tasty cookies. Still, just like strategically setting up a table of girl scout cookies outside a head shop, you could make a killing if you sent 1 or 2 Cookie Brigade volunteers into the Tabletop/Card Game areas during the longer events and tournaments.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    flatline wrote: »
    The time I remember most was during the D&D Next Playtest event, which was 3+ hours IIRC.

you could make a killing if you sent 1 or 2 Cookie Brigade volunteers into the Tabletop/Card Game areas during the longer events and tournaments.

Was that the event where you had to wait in the queue and sign the waiver? b/c if so - then they might have been restricted from entering, since we were on lock-down to prevent info leaks.

I do, however, totally agree with the general point about the tabletop/card game area. I made rounds there one day for a little bit with my buddy, and we cleaned out our stock :P Definitely a spot I'm planning to frequent next year.

I think there may also have been a "Hot Spots" list that was circulated, but tips like those are definitely good to hear :)

edited October 2012
    ishtra wrote: »
    ishtra wrote: »
    The time I remember most was during the D&D Next Playtest event, which was 3+ hours IIRC.

you could make a killing if you sent 1 or 2 Cookie Brigade volunteers into the Tabletop/Card Game areas during the longer events and tournaments.

Was that the event where you had to wait in the queue and sign the waiver? b/c if so - then they might have been restricted from entering, since we were on lock-down to prevent info leaks.

I do, however, totally agree with the general point about the tabletop/card game area. I made rounds there one day for a little bit with my buddy, and we cleaned out our stock :P Definitely a spot I'm planning to frequent next year.

I think there may also have been a "Hot Spots" list that was circulated, but tips like those are definitely good to hear :)

You bring up another good point though, because I forgot about the line time entirely. Lines that form more than 30 minutes before an event are also a great place to scalp your delicious wares. Captive audience and all that.

If you factor in the part where we had to wait for 2 hours before the event to actually get a seat, we were at the D&D Next thing for more like 6 hours. The line was certainly open to everyone, and I don't *think* they were preventing people from wandering through the D&D/Tabletop area at that time? The WotC staff there couldn't possibly have policed the entire perimeter as they barely had enough GMs to run things and pass out materials.

I'm not sure about the schedule WotC has for the releasing the Next version of D&D (I know they have run at least 2 open beta/playtests so far). They may run another "closed" preview event at East this year, not sure. But they will definitely have other long events. If I recall, the DM Challenge is usually 3-4 hours yeah?

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited October 2012
    I don't *think* they were preventing people from wandering through the D&D/Tabletop area at that time? The WotC staff there couldn't possibly have policed the entire perimeter as they barely had enough GMs to run things and pass out materials.
    Yeah, that's definitely true. they were pretty cool about us clearing out our box of cookies while we waited at the tail end of the line - but I would have loved to have gone for more and been able to stay in that line. We missed the initial cutoff to do the test, but then got lucky when they opened the 2nd for the next day :)

Things to put on the list for next year :P

ishtra on
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Honestly I think it could be cool to have a cookie brigade request twitter account :)

GhostDan wrote: »
    Honestly I think it could be cool to have a cookie brigade request twitter account :)

Yeah, but I would feel bad. The Brigadiers are there to enjoy PAX too, not be at the beck and call of 30,000 nerds every time one of them forgets to eat.

AKA me.

GhostDan wrote: »

Yeah, but I would feel bad. The Brigadiers are there to enjoy PAX too, not be at the beck and call of 30,000 nerds every time one of them forgets to eat.

AKA me.

True. I guess I was looking at it from the point of view of I'm a volunteer who's striking out where I'm trying to get rid of cookies, and I check the twitter and go 'oh hey look a bunch of people over at the Arachnid room line are hungry, let's go over there!' but it might be more of a pain than it's worth.

edited October 2012
    I think it would still work fine for using the #cookiebridage to beckon one who might be checking though. I feel when we're actively collecting donations, we're probably scanning the twitter at some point. worth considering though.

ishtra on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    As far as I know, the CB as a whole already has a significantly useful list of hotspots and events that will be ripe for cookie distribution. They've been doing this for awhile and have had a long time to collect that sort of data. The issue seems to revolve around having enough distributors to hit all these big things while they're going on. Also there's the consideration of the fact that the CB sort of operates on the periphery of the convention center rules and can't be a predictable vendor source of goods. It's possible that they don't hit official tournaments because that might garner more scrutiny from convention center staff (I don't know for certain since I'm not involved with the CB).

I do think that a cookie request hashtag could be useful, but I think that might exist already? Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, with the same problem of lack of distributors at PAX, even if they implement that (or already have it), there's no way to guarantee any sort of response time.

zerzhul wrote: »
    As far as I know, the CB as a whole already has a significantly useful list of hotspots and events that will be ripe for cookie distribution. They've been doing this for awhile and have had a long time to collect that sort of data. The issue seems to revolve around having enough distributors to hit all these big things while they're going on. Also there's the consideration of the fact that the CB sort of operates on the periphery of the convention center rules and can't be a predictable vendor source of goods. It's possible that they don't hit official tournaments because that might garner more scrutiny from convention center staff (I don't know for certain since I'm not involved with the CB).

I do think that a cookie request hashtag could be useful, but I think that might exist already? Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, with the same problem of lack of distributors at PAX, even if they implement that (or already have it), there's no way to guarantee any sort of response time.

We can setup secret signals.. You walk up to a brigaider and go "C is for cookie", if they respond with "It's good enough for me" you know you've got the right guy. Opens up his trench coat or costume and you see a (perfectly sealed) collection of cookies. Maybe a secret handshake with your fingers in the sign of a C. ;)

edited October 2012

yeah, I think we need to share the hashtag with more attendees and distributors so people use it better :)
    and hopefully get more distributors :D

ishtra on
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    So I went and created an account on the Cookie Brigade website a few weeks ago. Up until now, I still get the red message about waiting for my account to be approved, which cites an approximate 48-hour turnaround time. I haven't been contacted about it either. Is the Cookie Brigade group just not active yet, or does it normally take closer to this long (nearing a month now) for account approval? Or did I horribly botch something up?

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
    We do usually have at least one person manning twitter and keeping on eye on mentions of @cookie_brigade and use of the #cookiebrigade hashtag. Unfortunately, it doesn't mean we can always send someone to a requested place and in a timely manner. You guys already hit on the fact that we might not have many active distributors available and we have to be wary of staff, but there's also the size (and getting lost in the redundancy of) the convention center, getting access to areas without people thinking you're trying to cut lines or cheat the system, fire code issues, trying to find that one table of players who want cookies when the rest of the people look annoyed that you're interrupting their game, and a bunch of other factors.
    All that said, suggestions for how we can improve are always welcome :)

HI3789R.png
  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    You guys are awesome. I don't participate in the making/distributing, but I always make sure to find at least a group or 2 through the weekend and donate at least a buck a cookie. Thank you as always for doing this!

edited October 2012
    Aren't the cookies technically free? And a donation is just appreciated? I know I usually end up giving them twice the going rate for the cookies. I wouldn't think they would get in much trouble.

Something easily identifiable that marks a person as an "In-Service" provider of cookies would be helpful though. Obviously you can't go around the BCEC shouting "COOKIES! I GOT YER COOKIES HEE-AH!!!" But if I 'page' a brigadier to the D&D area and @cookie_brigade says salvation is on the way, and then I see a girl wearing the Cookie Monster hat (as an example), then I know the goods have arrived.

flatline on
    Cookies are and always have been 100% free. That does not mean we are exempt from issues with convention staff. I can't comfortably give much more info publicly.
    We have discussed distributors wearing various identifiers. Right now the Cookie Brigade patch is what you want to look for. Beyond that, a dustributor's methods and outfit are up to them (some people do openly shout!).

HI3789R.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    while they may not always have the resources to send someone right to you, i have had good luck tweeting at the brigade (either @cookie_brigade or #cookiebrigade) to find out where people are at/if they're relatively close by so i can go to them. because let's be real, chocolate chip cookies with oreos baked inside are VERY worth hunting for. hooray for the cookie brigade!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    I generally man the brigade twitter for PAX East and I try to keep an eye on it and send people when I see messages. There are a few issues:

Twitter/Internet overload -
    It's common for messages to arrive late. Sometimes as much as an hour after the fact either due to issues posting or downloading updates. Its a big event and a lot of people using the networks.

Having someone available -
    We always need one person manning our super secret HQ, so if there isn't a distributor available then we can't send someone

Being mobbed in table top -
    So my ventures into table top generally always go like this:
    First Table"
    Me: "Hey guys I have cookies!"
    Hungry Tabletop gamers: *suspicious look* "How much?"
    Me: "Free, but I take Child's Play donations too."
    Gamers: "OMG FREE COOKIES! NOM NOM NOM! Take all of my monies for Child's Play."

After about table 4 I generally have hungry gamers mobbing me and throwing fistsful of money at me for food.

I'm usually lucky to make it 1/4 of the way through the tabletop area before having to trudge back and reload on noms. We know you guys love food when gaming but its a massive area to try and cover with what can be carried.

That said we can ALWAYS use more distributors and people looking to help out, we had a lot of great helpers last year that made a huge difference at East, and we could definitely use more cookie bearers this year. It's better to have 50 people willing to each put in two hours then 10 people trying to cover everything all weekend.

I'll add the hashtags and links to the wiki page with CB info to the OP.

I would volunteer to be a distributor, but it would basically just be me giving out any cookies I could carry but couldn't eat.

So, none.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    ransim wrote: »

If this is consistent, then when going to table top, why not just bring 2x as many as you normally would? Or if that doesn't do it, 3x.

edited October 2012
    Schmulki wrote: »

If this is consistent, then when going to table top, why not just bring 2x as many as you normally would? Or if that doesn't do it, 3x.

I think this goes back to number of distributors available. People can't carry an infinite amount of cookies with them ;)

From what I understand, most distributors take the *maximum* they can handle every time they go out.

zerzhul on
    why not just bring 2x as many as you normally would? Or if that doesn't do it, 3x.

Cookies are heavy.

HI3789R.png

I think this goes back to number of distributors available. People can't carry an infinite amount of cookies with them ;)

From what I understand, most distributors take the *maximum* they can handle every time they go out.

We also can't be obvious at East. IE no carrying in massive tubs of cookies like they have done at Prime at offsite locations. So its really whatever the distributors can easily, comfortably and properly carry in their bag.

And yeah cookies are heavier then you think and that table top room is massive.

• KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I will be doing this again! Really can't wait. I had lots of luck distributing in certain spots. Muhuhuhahahaha. :) And I'll be baking as well as having friends bake for me.

Ln5yLL7.png
  • shadowfaeshadowfae Registered User regular
    I was thinking I might get involved this year.

shadowfae wrote: »
    I was thinking I might get involved this year.

We'd love to have you on board. Make sure you register over on the brigade website. I'd also recommend following this thread as well for updates.

• aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    If you're a distributor or want to be a distributor, please make sure to sign up on our site and buy your PAX tickets!

Regarding the twitter thing - like ransim said, we do watch twitter, but it can be AWFUL with updating. Last east I was trying to locate someone who had tweeted but because of the tweets delays we never did meet up for the cookies. We're always trying to come up with better communication methods, but as others have mentioned too we're usually very short on distributors at East (hint hint.)

aerynkelly on
    fss_overall.png
    Since this is not the first thread to do so... we don't need to update every thread with "hey badges are live."

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    At Prime i heard this guy going off about how unsanitary it was to get cookies from a stranger. And how you can't trust some stranger to do little things like wash their hands. I gave him the WORST look i could manage and he shut up. Then i nom nom on my cookies while staring at him. It was a good moment. :D

got my pax room and badges, so I'm officially throwing my name into the mix as a distributor. Hoping to beat my record from last year (my first year - so I'm feeling pretty sure I can do that).

• ErickaJoErickaJo MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I loved baking and distributing last year, and I look forward to doing it this year. I can't be the only one that looks at a new cookie recipe and considers how well it would fit the needs of a CB cookie.

This discussion has been closed.