As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anti-virus software suggestions.

Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
I just built my new pc and my subscription to Norton just ran out. I know it's not the most popular among people who really know PCs. What anti virus and mal ware software should I run on my new comp?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
Shiny Code: 3837
Catastrophe_XXVI on

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    I just use Microsoft Security Essentials.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Microsoft Security Essentials

Malwarebytes

Those would both be links if I wasn't on my phone. Both programs are free,

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    As already pointed out, MSE for all virus and many things like advertising, bugs, etc.

And then Malwarebytes for the few things MSE doesn't cover.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Like others have said, Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.

You can also try out something like Soluto for things like cutting down boot times and keeping some software up to date.

Finally, Ninite is the best thing in the world. Use it.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I'm using Webroot Secure Anywhere

If you don't mind paying $40 for a anti-virus it's a great choice. I was using MSE for a long time, but sharing a computer with a little brother and sister kinda left me doing virus removal very often. I've had no problems since I started using this. Also barely uses any system resources.

• Options
    If you're paying for stuff, is ESET's Nod32 still good? I wouldn't buy it myself, but it's out there--and expensive.

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    How's AVG? It's one I cam up with during some searching. CNET gave it a good review. I also have no problem spending money. I've seen what happens to unprotected computers and for the price of a game I'll buy a yearly sub.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Microsoft. Security. Essentials.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Microsoft Security Essentials without a doubt. Avoid AVG.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    AVG was awesome in 2008. It's crap now. There's really no reason to use anything other than MSE unless you're looking for a centrally-managed enterprise solution.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    MSE is a lot better than any other solutions.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah, apparently AVG used to be great (prior to v8.0 anyway), but now is way larger memory wise and no longer as well designed. This might not be that big a problem if MSE wasn't so fantastic in practically ever regard, totally free, and integrated extremely well into Windows (i.e. that software practically everyone uses).

The only complaint I can think of against MSE is that it might be a little too proactive, leading to false positives. Which is maybe the worse complaint you can have about antivirus software...