As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    How does one get more alien alloys? I just researched lazer rifles, made 5 and then got a request for 4 and now I'm out of alloys.

Also, I forgot to transfer a plane to the other side of the globe, an alien ship flew around and made that country panic and leave the council.

Its all going downhill in normal ironman mode. I'm fucked, am I?

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    How does one get more alien alloys? I just researched lazer rifles, made 5 and then got a request for 4 and now I'm out of alloys.

Also, I forgot to transfer a plane to the other side of the globe, an alien ship flew around and made that country panic and leave the council.

From UFO's if it's like the original

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »

From UFO's if it's like the original

Correct. Shoot those fucks down.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @JaredBurton Well.. the end came sooner than I would've liked. The mission ended up being 5 Mutons, 3 Muton Berserkers, 3 Heavy Floaters. You ended up shotgunning down most of them, honestly you saved the two survivors. However, I lost @Skab and @Lanrutcon no.2 the rookie. Heres my memorial wall, this all went to hell after the last 3 missions. D:
    D2C9DE5F59FAE92249ADF3FE24DF3784F541BA2C

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DregurDregur Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I have made laser rifles, and I know they're better than the shotgun...but good lord, Major Kate Nichols, Assault, refuses to use anything but her shotgun. With her Lightning Reflexes, she will run up to a X-Ray shoot it two times in the head, and has only been injured twice on the job. Twice! She is nigh invincible. She also has 20 kills.

She's going to die soon in a blaze of glory, isn't she?

Dregur on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up on reaction fire.

Also, I'm really low on cash. Can I sell shit that I've manifactured? It feels so bad to select the moneymaking missions instead of scientist/engineers for some reason =)

Ed, come to think of it, what do engineers and scientists do? Speed up research and building I assume?

They speed up the process of research/manufacturing, and you also must have a minimum number of them to manufacture/research certain topics. They can be hard to come by and are pretty vital when it comes to actually winning the game.

Shit, ok. Never go for the cash grab then =)

Is there any reason to capture units other than the first time to interrogate? Do I get more artifacts or something?

I would not say "never go fot the cash" because dude, you will need some cash. more satellites means less angry assholes breathing down your neck. also. dead guys.

Yeah, like most choices in XCOM's strategy layer it's a balancing choice. You need more engineers, more scientists, and more money. You also desperately need to maintain panic levels across the globe, and some troops that know how to distinguish which end of a rifle goes where would also be excellent. You won't always get the missions you wan't, you won't always get the resources you need. Adapt or die. (Alternatively, in Impossible -- Adapt AND die.)

edit: oh yeah, and Squadsight snipers for life

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Dregur wrote: »
    I have made laser rifles, and I know they're better than the shotgun...but good lord, Major Kate Nichols, Assault, refuses to use anything but her shotgun. With her Lightning Reflexes, she will run up to a X-Ray shoot it two times in the head, and has only been injured twice on the job. Twice! She is nigh invincible.

She's going to die soon, isn't she?

I had a girl like that. She died horribly to crysalids

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    @CarbonFire I regret to inform you of your demise during operation Shattered God. Your sacrifice was not in vain, it enabled us to recruit jclast, who, like you, was an assault.. but two ranks higher than you.. and with the same haircut, I like to think you just came back from the mission with a tan, and a fake identity for tax reasons.
    @CorriganX You earned the nickname Nightmare, and had 21 kills to your name at the end of the first month. Best, Sniper, Ever.

We shall not be discussing the mission I failed, because I'm not playing ironman, and I intend to reload the previous save. so.. many.. dead..

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    JMT_AOTPJMT_AOTP Registered User regular
    Anyone still one their first run with classic ironman? I had a good 5 hour run going then messed up badly. Gotta start all over. I need to do a better job with my research, don't know a path to go since I want everything. Also, I'm afraid to use my Arc Thrower, scared to lose a good person :(

• Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So I made the mistake of naming my two female recruits after my daughters...gave them the same haircut, let my girls pick out the armor colors and everything.

They both died horribly on their first mission. One got flanked by a Thin Man, the other got poisoned... :(

<-- Father of the Year Canidate right here :(

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Think of Xcom as a roguelike and it becomes much more enjoyable like FTL.

• Options
    JMT_AOTP wrote: »
    Anyone still one their first run with classic ironman? I had a good 5 hour run going then messed up badly. Gotta start all over. I need to do a better job with my research, don't know a path to go since I want everything. Also, I'm afraid to use my Arc Thrower, scared to lose a good person :(

Can you use the arc thrower with one of your guys that can run n gun.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Difficulty: Classic

Operation Black Dream proceeded almost without a hitch. On approach the UFO, we flushes out a group of Floaters. vegeta_666, eager to get back at the alien bastards after a week in the hospital, charged right up to one and shotgunned it in the face. It didn't die. Luckily, Squaddie vegeta was able to shrug off the return fire and kill it at the next opportunity.

Sgt. "Lights Out" Dirtmunche, 11/4.
    Cpl. "Missionary" TheKoolEagle, 6/4. Promoted to Sergeant.
    Sq. vegeta_666 4/2. Gravely wounded (15 days).
    Sq. Mirael D'Kana (wtf?), 2/2.

Great, still alive!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Alright ladies and gents, I haven't played a game of X-Com in over 10 years, but playing the demo on Steam sold me. I am preparing to die horribly, viciously, and quickly and love every minute of it.

See you all on the other side.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Nope, you can only use weapons when you run n gun. Arc Throwers are items.

• Options

WELL AINT THAT A BAG OF DICKS

• Options
    Sidenote: I'm sure there's a pretty good reason for it, but is anyone thinking that Firaxis missed an opportunity for allowing multiple Skyrangers and multiple squads to go to different things? It seems odd for a force to be allowed multiple interceptors to not have a second Skyranger.

OMG, it's going to be an expansion, isn't it?

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Lost my second campaign because I didn't get enough engineers quickly which meant I couldn't build carapace armor and laser rifles.
    I favored scientists too much, so I won't do that next time.
    If you think 200 credits from a mission is worthless,you have no idea. Money is SPARSE and you need a LOT of it.
    I would rank things the following: Engineers > Money > Scientists.
    Usually it doesn't matter whether a research is done 3 days earlier, but it will matter a damn lot if you can't build your new toys because of a lack of engineers and money.

Also,I have no idea why people say the mouse/keyboard controls suck. They are perfect, the hotkeys for Overwatch and Reload are Y and R which work, you use TAB to cycle targets, everything else is done via number keys which you can double tap to use the action.
    WASD to scroll map, mouse for the usual selecting stuff.
    No idea why anyone would dislike this, but whatever, I don't care.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    hmm, is there any rush to do Priority missions/research topics? Or should that be treated as the "main quest" and you should try to do as many side quests/base upgrading for as long as possible before doing them?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    hmm, is there any rush to do Priority missions/research topics? Or should that be treated as the "main quest" and you should try to do as many side quests/base upgrading for as long as possible before doing them?

Welp, if you can do non priority missions while simultaneously keeping panic down, maybe.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    @Morvitz Engineers are more important than Scientists. Scientists speed up research, but aren't required for research. Engineers speed up construction, make things cheaper, and are a requirement to build certain things.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular

WELL AINT THAT A BAG OF DICKS

Lightning Reflexes is basically mandatory for capture teams though, so assaults are still awesome.

Snipers are the only thing I dislike. Just kind of cumbersome to use imo. Heavies are pretty damned awesome.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Lost my second campaign because I didn't get enough engineers quickly which meant I couldn't build carapace armor and laser rifles.
    If you think 200 credits from a mission is worthless,you have no idea. Money is SPARSE and you need a LOT of it.
    Usually it doesn't matter whether a research is done 3 days earlier, but it will matter a damn lot if you can't build your new toys because of a lack of engineers and money.

Also,I have no idea why people say the mouse/keyboard controls suck. They are perfect, the hotkeys for Overwatch and Reload are Y and R which work, you use TAB to cycle targets, everything else is done via number keys which you can double tap to use the action.

And space confirms things IE to overwatch hit Y then space and it fires off. Its not bad.

Lost my first dude in my first session. Awe kittens.....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular

The vertical layers would flicker for me sometimes with the mouse controls.

Also, using SHIFT+TAB to move backwards through the list is already bound to the Steam overlay. Argh, that is annoying.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

I'd go
    Upgraded Soldier > Engineers > Money > Scientists

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

And space confirms things IE to overwatch hit Y then space and it fires off. Its not bad.

Or just press the button twice, to let the game know you mean business.

• Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    My guess is they are more 'main quest.' But on classic and impossible the aliens tech level is not tied to your research progress. So putting off important research milestones and doing too many 'sidequests' might see you outpaced by the x-rays.

My strategy thus far has been to rush to arc throwers, then branch. Because aliens are sure as hell not going to get easier to capture as the game goes on, better to zap some in the earlier missions.

Edit: That was @Alucard6986
    Shit this thread moves fast.

bamjo on
  • Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    Sooooooooo.

I've got a bug where after a successful crashed ufo mission the skyranger goes back to base, my interceptor lands on antarctica and then I get a weird picture of the earth looking a little bit like the old earthscape, but with no ability to exit/scroll out/esc does nothing. Any ideas besides loading a pre ship action save?

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

No,you just hit Y and it overwatches.
    You just press R and it reloads.
    You press 1,choose a target with TAB and press 1 or space to fire.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Uggghhh, TPK in the tutorial on classic mode. I am so bad

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular

Welp, if you can do non priority missions while simultaneously keeping panic down, maybe.

yeah, about that....it's kinda taken me forever to get more satellites up, I only now am about to get a second uplink site for a third (and fourth) satellite. Several countries are near maximum panic...

hrrmmmm

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Right click being both "cancel" and "move your guy" is asinine, and it's gotten my guys killed more than once.
    I've since rebound it, but it won't let me use that key in the ant farm base management. Ugggh, so annoying.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options

yeah, about that....it's kinda taken me forever to get more satellites up, I only now am about to get a second uplink site for a third (and fourth) satellite. Several countries are near maximum panic...

hrrmmmm

I immediately have built a sat for the US starting in Asia. Gimme some dollars yo.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Tips I have found:

1) No matter when a country goes red, if they are red during a monthly report, they are out. I had (GUESS WHO?!?!?!) Canada bail on me after going red with a few days left in the month via the "Abduction Choice" system. My suggestion is to save a Satellite to launch at the end of the month to reset anyone that may be freaking excessively over a choice. That was very depressing because it cost me the continental bonus.

2) Don't get into prolonged firefights. If you have less than a 50% chance to hit, pull back out of range to cover and go into overwatch. Make the Aliens come to you.

2a) It may seem tempting to rush up behind that Sectoid and flank him, but remember: Every time you move forward into the unknown, you risk bringing more Alphas into the fight. This is especially true on Impossible, where missions have minimum 8-12 contacts. It's hard to not stumble into them.

3) This is a personal thing, but until you unlock letting a Sniper move then shoot, you may as well dash them everywhere. What I'll do is keep my Snipers in overwatch for Two turns while my squad advances. Squad sight means they still get to plink at any Alphas that show up. Once the perimeter is safe, I dash them up to my squad, reload the entire groups weapons, then repeat the process.

4) Grenades are so very useful.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Argh, I just lost a ton of progress because of a crash. I failed to double-check my backup scripts, and I wasn't backing up files without an extension. Fuck.

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Ugh this game is so good. Why couldn't it have came oh last week when I had 5 days off! Now I work for 11 straight days and all I can think of is this damn game!

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Argh, I just lost a ton of progress because of a crash. I failed to double-check my backup scripts, and I wasn't backing up files without an extension. Fuck.

How dd you lose the data in the first place? I'm playing on ironman so it is relevant to my interests to make sure I am never in a position where my data is vulnerable.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Anyone live streaming currently? I want to listen in while I'm at work.

Also, I'm really curious as to what the modding community is going to be like for this game. My dream: A 'Tremors' mod... I can just imagine dashing from rooftop to rooftop to avoid tunneling worms...

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    2012-10-09_000021.jpg

look upon my screen of doom ye mighty... and despair

Seruko on
    "How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Rend wrote: »

How dd you lose the data in the first place? I'm playing on ironman so it is relevant to my interests to make sure I am never in a position where my data is vulnerable.

This happened to me, kinda.
    After an ill-timed alt-tab, my game was completely frozen in the middle of combat, even after saving, exiting and reloading. Couldn't move my guys, couldn't issue commands of any sort, just sorta stuck.
    Luckily I had made a backup of that save before the start of that mission, so I was able to just start the mission over.

And whoops, there's 100. Someone want to recruit a rookie thread so we can retire this veteran?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
This discussion has been closed.