As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

19495969798100»

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Well thats great. Just lost 3 Colonels in that fight. Greeeeat.
    InkSplat wrote: »
    I think you need to be more careful, yo. :P

My targeting cursor will be at the top of the cliff, then randomly jump to the bottom, then up and down. I'd wait for it to stop and settle, click the top, they'd still run down the cliff. Its infuriating, and I just lost 3 of my best guys on an ironman run. Iolo, Lanrutcon, and now ShadowThomas is bleeding out from a flank when I tried to get them to a safe position. :/

Noooooooo!

(These reports with forumer names are pure awesome, and make being at work tolerable today. :) )

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, I will just manually Ironman until I'm absolutely certain that it's "safe".

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm so going to put together an all woman team named after the my little ponys.

Fluttershys gonna snipe some aliens.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    So with the forum member name list is it possible to insert that somewhere in the pc version to replace the default rookie names?
    Anyone have details on how to do that? Or also other themed lists.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Yep.

1. Go to @jdarksun's sig and download one of the three lists. I see one of his posts at the top of last page. There's either the forumer country picks, equal distribution of countries, or random distribution. Save one of those files to your computer.

2. Go to {SteamFolder}\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XComGame\Config

3. Find DefaultNameList.ini, rename it DefaultNameList.ini.bak (so you can revert to the old list)

4. Put the DefaultNameList.ini you downloaded from jdarksun's signature into that folder.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DregurDregur Registered User regular
    bamjo wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Man, fuck VIP missions. Total squad wipe both times. First time my sniper panicked and shot the VIP who was huddled behind a car. Do cover and aim come into play with friendly fire?

Also to whoever had the view get stuck zoomed in when they tried to go to mission control, that happened to me too. Mashing on esc fixed it, for some reason the game doesn't seem to lock the mission control button out when you are in another room. The only other bug I've found so far is a texture glitch where certain geometries will change textures wildly with a flashing strobe-like effect. It is easily ignored except for when it is a texture your guys have to walk on, then it actually interferes with the movement ui box. In one of the above VIP missions it resulted in a rookie jumping down from a container and ending his turn in the open rather than in the elevated cover I was clicking on.

As soon as my VIP died I just booked it to the exit area. The real bullshit thing is how Thin Men just appear and gank your VIP. You telling me that I need reactive fire on 2 dudes to beat these missions? Goddamnit

Yeah the thin men coming down from nowhere and then popping overwatch is borderline bullshit. You don't know where they will drop, so you have to guess about good cover, but then you cant even move to better cover without taking reaction fire. It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much if I hadn't lost my best guy. The support who, after his whole squad was killed/critically wounded, stabilized a dying comrade and proceeded to clear a UFO single handed. With one hp bar remaining, he ran right up to the outsider and shot it in the face. RIP Cpl Sanders... I hoped to make you the Colonel.

Eh, I knew something was up, it would've been too easy otherwise. I had most my squad in overwatch. When the thinmen dropped down, I shot them in the face.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Whoever is doing the new thread:

Make sure to mention that I have died TWICE for the survival of mankind.

And was dressed in pink for added shame.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Whoever is doing the new thread:

Make sure to mention that I have died TWICE for the survival of mankind.

And was dressed in pink for added shame.

I'll be sure to edit that in. :D

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Argh, I just lost a ton of progress because of a crash. I failed to double-check my backup scripts, and I wasn't backing up files without an extension. Fuck.
    How dd you lose the data in the first place? I'm playing on ironman so it is relevant to my interests to make sure I am never in a position where my data is vulnerable.
    I screwed up and aborted a mission by mistake. I didn't realize what I had done until it overwrote my Geoscape autosave.

@akajaybay Dehumanized has the right of it. I'm jdarksun on Steam if you need live help.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Difficulty: Classic

Operation Devil's Stroke was a tragedy. Sgt. "Lights Out" Dirtmuncher took a critical hit from a Floater, which killed him instantly. Not even the nanoweave fibers we installed in his armor could save him. Sgt. "Voodoo" TheKoolEagle also took a hit, and is out for nine days.

Sgt. "Lights Out" Dirtmuncher, 11/5. KIA.
    Sgt. "Voodoo" TheKoolEagle, 8/5. Wounded (9 days).
    Cpl. Just_Bri_Thanks, 8/3.
    Sgt. "Combo" Tef, 10/5.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Thanks, sounds easy enough. I noticed playing on the couch with the controller name editing wasn't really going to be possible. So changing the default sourcing would be fun.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Argh, I just lost a ton of progress because of a crash. I failed to double-check my backup scripts, and I wasn't backing up files without an extension. Fuck.

noooo i was doing so well in your game!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

noooo i was doing so well in your game!

"So......cold.....so cold....tell ...my...dog...he...will..have.to...walk...himseargblahpfft"
    Lights out will always be remembered for his famous last words.

@jdarksun,that list is very cool. I cant wait to.send my fellow paers to their glorious dea..destiny.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    I'm seriously fucking annoyed by how the aliens always get to move as soon as you see them. Why the hell did they add that?

• Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Right click being both "cancel" and "move your guy" is asinine, and it's gotten my guys killed more than once.
    I've since rebound it, but it won't let me use that key in the ant farm base management. Ugggh, so annoying.

Yeah, the first time that happened to me I just started using escape.

Except in the tutorial when it wouldn't let me cancel, so I just quit the stupid tutorial.

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    I'm seriously fucking annoyed by how the aliens always get to move as soon as you see them. Why the hell did they add that?

So you can learn the benefits of using Ghost Armor...

I think of it like this. When I come up on them, they are already in cover, I just get to see their last move in a cut scene. I just didn't see it until right then and the animation is just for fun. In all honestly, I'm also not dashing all the time. Slow and steady advance.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »

Because otherwise you end up with only clumps of guys, rather than aliens appropriately behind cover. It gives the Battle Scanner a reason to exist, and makes it a more tactical game, I think. Otherwise, grenades and rockets would just wreck the X-rays.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Here's to Brick and Richter. You were always a defiant bulwark, keeping the team safe from harm.

And to Colonel Madeline 'Lady Grey' Lefevre. On the skyranger every mission, hogging all the kills with that ludicrously good sniper aim.

Getting the final kill on your once-squadmates after the wall fell and you got tagged by a Chryssalid. Still awesome, even as a zombie.
    That's two attempts now, both Classic Ironman. First one I lost early after a couple of really dumb moves. The second, god, that terror mission... eightteen dead chryssalids and still more kept coming...

*sigh*

"Greetings, Commander"...

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Fuck mission creep and fuck you, sweater dude.

• Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    Heyy, how do I toggle the advanced options at the beginning of the game on the Xbox? I've hit all the buttons I have and can't for the life of my figure it out

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    ugh...this game just keeps you on the edge of sanity. Almost lost a few nations because It took me forever to get money and to get enough excavation going for another satellite uplink, then needed MORE money for the satellites. I bought three satellites, and it just put in an order which took 20 days or so. would it have been quicker if I did one at a time?

Also, on top of engineers and money, you need ALLOYS. My research is moving along easy peasy, but at one point I couldn't make a damned thing until I shot down a large UFO (laser cannon also definitely needed ASAP too). Take the time to do your interrogations as you'll get a research bonus.

When I got the satellites up, my money and panic situation improved drastically. Still trying to get everyone outfitted in carapace armor and laser or better weapons before I try and go after that alien base. I still haven't been able to do many of the foundry projects, except for shiv which I'm still waiting on.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    First wipe. Four presidents down. :(

http://www.twitch.tv/furiousjodo/b/335018317

This first play through is not going well. I think I'm maybe 8 missions in and so much death.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So far my only complaint is magic Thin Men falling from the sky on overwatch.

Hey, way to arbitrarily enforce "difficulty" by dropping an aliens right into flanking position in overwatch right after I swept the map. That's like some DA2 shit.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Well, I hadn't seen any repeated maps (barring the tutorial) and then I got the same urban map in a row. Not that I mind. You start on basically the highest ground so my sniper on overwatch got like 5 kills in the last mission.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I'm going to have to make a choice on which nations I'm okay with leaving the council, aren't I?

Oh, and both me and my friend got a dirty disc error one day one. Right from the box into my xbox. Anyone else have this problem?

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    That name list needs more Sonar.

I'll either play this weekend or tommorrow at work. Risk of being fired? High. Worth it? Sure, ok.

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
This discussion has been closed.