As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Space Invaders: Axed before it's time.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah some clarification on just how many of those things you plan to give the active squad would be handy.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    E(3) A small supply of heavy rockets would be good, but I'd hesitate to invest too heavily in them since we may be able to research better weapons soon.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I think we are buying what we need at the moment so as not wasting the turn.
    We are probably going to bicker about how many to bring on mission.

Does the rocket launcher replace the combat rifle or is it slung on the back and used when armor targets present themselves?
    This would probably help everyone decide how many to take. If they replace the rifle, we are crippling our dps by bringing more. if they are brought with rifles, having 2 would be useful for a quick one-two punch.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    As per usual, there will be no having your cake and eating it too. Otherwise you'd just give every man every gun!

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    As per usual, there will be no having your cake and eating it too. Otherwise you'd just give every man every gun!

Sigh... somebody knows us too well.

which saves us a lot of argument, thanks mojo :D

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    E(5)

Milking for funding then sorting powered armour for the troops should be our next priorities imo.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    What about if we duct tape the rocket launcher onto the rifle?

Kidding aside, voting E(5). Doesn't hurt to keep some extra firepower on hand.

my fingers are crossed about the next encounter. I misread our research as 2d6, not 1d12. 1d12 is much more variant.
    hopefully, we can get a really really good roll this turn and next turn to complete the armor

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Re: Action Recommendations

Ms. Mainer,

Unfortunately, while your report carried weight with me, the senior staff were not so convinced. We have lost some of our chance for extra funds from the Middle East, as good deeds fade quickly while lack of action lingers on. While we have clear skies, I feel we should continue to gather intelligence on the invaders, option A on trusty old 17-A1.

Senior Data Director Malcolm Ferris, ID DM2-Gamma-17B2

Addendum: Your suggestion about Cpl. Wolner was echoed by several others, and carried unanimously.

Addendum 2: You made some very good points that night—perhaps we should meet in the archives for some research Saturday at five?

Captain Carrot on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    E 5

Yeah, mojo is hinting at some combat next round, we'll want the firepower to get through that armor. But next we'll need funding, because if our next mission goes to shit, nobody will be giving us anything.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    A for the money!

• Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    A

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    E 3, equip the contact team with 1

Agreed that stockpiling the basics most likely won't be a good idea in the long term. 3 is a decent stock and having 1 in the squad to supplement the autocannon makes sense.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    D - Middle East, since we have downtime we might as well capitalize on our successes.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    A

• DumpShockDumpShock Does everyone? Registered User regular
    E5

• FailsafeFailsafe Registered User regular
    E-3

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    E (5)

The collateral damage caused by heavy ordinance is in acceptable parameters. Proceed.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited October 2012
    Turn 3
    Decision: E(5): Rocket Launcher Landslide

Numbers:
    Overview
    Funds: €55 [+€40/turn]
    Research Progress: Personal Armour 23/50 [+2d12/turn]
    Engineering Progress: No project 0/0 [+1d10/turn]

Agency HQ, Madrid
    Research labs [+1d12 RP/turn]
    Distributed Research [+1d12 RP/turn]
    Engineering bay [+1d10 EP/turn]
    Radar Antenna Array [Allows detection of enemy vessels]
    Hanger [Can maintain/hold 2 aircraft. Restores 1 aircraft wound / turn]
    Sickbay [Treats 1 wound or psyche damage / turn]

Personnel
    Format: [Target number, Wounds, Psyche] [Specials] [Gear]

Active
    Squaddie Steven Hiller
    [10,3,3] [Gunslinger] [combat rifle]

Squaddie Blain Cooper
    [16x3,4,3] [Tough] [autocannon]

Rookie Alan "Dutch" Schaefer
    [10,3,3] [combat rifle]

Rookie Dwayne Hicks
    [10,3,3] [combat rifle]

Rookie Jenette Vasquez
    [10,3,3] [combat rifle]

Standby
    None

Medical Leave
    Squaddie Edvard Wolner
    [10,2/3,3] [Revenge] [combat rifle]

Morgue
    Rookies: 1

Storage Locker
    5 x Anti-tank missile launcher (Target 14, [slow] [1d4 damage])

Specials
    [Gunslinger] - On a natural 20 gains an extra attack
    [Tough] - +1 Wounds
    [Revenge] - +2 on combat rolls if a squadmate is killed in action
    [Slow] - Fires every other turn

Craft
    Assault lander [Unarmed, 2, 3] [Transport 5/5]
    Interceptor [10x2, 4, 3]

Funding
    Europe +€20 [Level 1] [Morale 0] [Difficulty 14]
    Middle East +0 [Level 0] [Morale 0] [Difficulty 13]
    Asia +0 [Level 0] [Morale 0] [Difficulty 13]
    Africa +0 [Level 0] [Morale 0] [Difficulty 13]
    Oceania +0 [Level 0] [Morale 0] [Difficulty 13]
    North America [Level 0] [Morale 0] [Difficulty 13, -2 penalty]
    Central America [Level 0] [Morale 0] [Difficulty 13]
    South America [Level 0] [Morale 0] [Difficulty 13]
    Internal: +€20

Research
    None

Narrative
    Several large wooden crates were added to a shipment of vacuum pump spares ordered by the ESAC. The crates were marked, innocently enough, "FAO: Sub-basement 5". This quite confused the porter who had signed for the shipment, as the ESAC didn't have any sub basements. Storing them at one side of the loading bay, he dealt with the rest of the morning's deliveries and by the time came from his lunch and siesta he'd entirely forgotten about the mysterious boxes. In fact, there was no record of him having signed or received for anything intended for a non-existent sub basement at all. The man smiled to himself, his mind playing tricks on him as he neared middle age and went back to reading his newspaper while he waiting for the late afternoon collection of assorted bits and pieces from the researchers upstairs. Sub-basement 5. Where had he got that idea from?

Down in Sub-basement five the crates were pryed open. Each was stuffed with hay, a wonderfully quaint addition by the Swiss Navy. Within the hay were several well sealed pelicases. And within those pelicases were enough armour-piercing rockets to blow a hole through a mountain, along with five brand new matt black launchers to accompany them. They were loaded onto a trio of small electric golf carts and driven down to the barracks. The strike team would want to inspect their new toys.

The agency was well stocked with listless engineers. It had been all hands on deck (along with an essentially limitless supply of money) when it was time to construct the facility and set up all the internal systems in a week, but now funds were more constrained and there just wasn't the same sense of freedom. A gang of structural engineers banded together with some aerospace-types and formed a coalition to go and present the case for a second aircraft hangar to Mr Fish and Ms Chia. Really, it was just logic. They were going to need to expand at some point and where would they put the next interceptor?

Any further discussion was delayed for the moment by Mother,
    "Three unidentified craft have been observed entering the atmosphere."

Once again came the theatrical music and red lighting. Generalmajor Reichenbach was already on his feet staring up at the three red marks moving apart in a lazy spiral on the great hologlobe. The three had all arrived at the same spot in the Indian Ocean and were still high in the atmosphere, just below the operational limit of the interceptor.
    "Their origin is almost exactly on the equator. No, sorry, ignore that. Their origin was exactly above the equator."
    The words came from an analyst somewhere in the upper reaches of The Pit. The three had come down just off the southern tip of Indian, and moved apart while they gently rotated. Gradually their paths smoothed out and some projections of their predicted paths were lashed across the globe. A three pronged spiral. Just as quickly a series of blue circles appeared indicating the likely interception regions. The first could be met somewhere in Northern Madagascar, the second in central Asia (most likely inside Kazakhstan) while the third would almost certainly be somewhere above Australia by the time the interceptor could reach it. All this assumed a constant path. Any of the three could suddenly detour or worse, land, at any point.

Next

A - Perform focused research [additional +1d12 RP this turn]
    B - Hire new military personnel (specify number) [€20M each, you can afford up to 2]
    C - Train existing military personnel (specify soldier) [Difficulty 10+Rank to promote]
    D - Hold negotiations to improve funding (specify council)
    E - Start on a second hangar [€100M, 50EP] INSUFFICIENT FUNDS

1 - Interceptor away to UFO #1 (projected engagement in Madagascar, Africa)
    2 - Interceptor away to UFO #2 (projected engagement in Kazakhstan, Asia)
    3 - Interceptor away to UFO #3 (projected engagement in Australia, Oceania)
    4 - Pursue (1,2 or 3) in the assault lander and engage on the ground when/if they land
    5 - Sit back and relax, those places are all far away
    (1,2,3 assume you'll send the assault lander to any suitable crash sites you produce)

£(n) - Loadout the strike team with n missile launchers
    $ - Keep those heavy weapons for a rainy day

Mojo_Jojo on
    I'm wondering if in future I'll just take charge of assigning crew gear. Otherwise we could end up with lots of voting for very slightly different things (which would make a simply majority a bad thing to use unless we had considerably more voters than combinations). We'll do it this time, and otherwise we'll think.

Maybe the thing to do is just to have a single guy in the squad with a heavy weapon.

• FailsafeFailsafe Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    A-1-£(1)

Failsafe on
    D(Middle East)-2-£(1)
    My vote goes to getting us more funding while we still have the bonus to our roll.
    As for our interceptor, Kazakhstan seems to be about the same distance as Madagascar, however it also represents a larger manufacturing base and likely a stronger economy. I hate to make decisions like "who do we save from aliens?" on the basis of "who can line our wallets better?" but we need some quantifiable method.

If it's possible to dispatch the transport to Madagascar to engage the enemy on the ground, maybe we could do that as well. Send them with a rocket launcher either way though.

A question about research, Mojo, if we invest in a turn of research now (before we have any actual research projects available) do we just accrue it like a resource that is spent when we have something to research?

Sorry, I missed something there. The bonus to your diplomacy checks for Europe and the Middle East is gone now.

I'm not sure about what you mean with the second question. Excess RP are wasted though, so if you're really close to finishing a project then Focused Research would be a terrible choice. Here it's fine though.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    A-1-£(1)

And Mojo, I recommend making things as simple and easy to handle for yourself in regards to the smaller details. Not getting bogged down in a lot of little votes will no doubt save your sanity. :P

Sorry, I missed something there. The bonus to your diplomacy checks for Europe and the Middle East is gone now.

I'm not sure about what you mean with the second question. Excess RP are wasted though, so if you're really close to finishing a project then Focused Research would be a terrible choice. Here it's fine though.
    Drat to that first part. Could really use some more money sooner rather then later.
    The second, I misread your post. I thought we needed to select a research project, but there wasn't anything under the research spoiler. I thought that meant there wasn't anything to research so focusing on research would have been wasted. My brain isn't working so well at the moment.

edited October 2012
    A 1 British Pound Sign(1 launcher)
    1 rocket launcher, 1 autocannon, and 3 rifles is a good mix. the autocannon covers the dip in firepower from the rocket launcher but allows us the punch needed for armored threats.

As much as I want to keep getting 2 out of 3 ufos tagged. We should not risk the transport near a flying threat. It pains me, but we have to let 2 of them go.
    and this will work out. we get the an explosive research push which hopefully fills out our armor. We pay for a few pieces of armor next turn and have enough to start work on the second hanger, then save for the second interceptor that's 5 or 6 turns out :S

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    A2£(1)

• Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    A13£(2)

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister

NOOOOOO!

Damn, really thought they would owe us one for longer than that. Well, just have to save the world a few more times then.

D (Middle East) 2, £(1)

Money makes the world go round, got to try to increase.

Vasquez is more than tough enough to be our "heavy weapons guy", let her carry the ordinance and the rest can give cover fire.

• psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    why are we trying to raise money now? we had our chance for that and blew it. wait until we have a bonus again to start going for money or else we're going to be wasting our time.

well psolms, we are not at an insurmountable obstical right now in getting funds. We don't have a plus one, but we still have a good chance. Also, no penalty for failure. We want another hangar quick or we will always be letting 2 UFOs get away.

More important, each UFO that gets away gives us a negative. So if things go tits up, it will be much harder to get the funding in the future.

@Mojo_Jojo: will our negatives go away like our benefits? It was one UFO, and the US is acting like we pissed in their cornflakes. Get over it man.

psolms wrote: »
    why are we trying to raise money now? we had our chance for that and blew it. wait until we have a bonus again to start going for money or else we're going to be wasting our time.

Because right now we don't really have anything better to do. 3,4 turns down the road when we've got some alien tech to reverse engineer or a few corpses to dissect or a few pre-corpses to vivisect we won't have time to devote our best and brightest to kissing world leader ass for money.
    Second, right now we don't have much to spend the money on, so we'll be able to save it up. If we start earning an extra 15k a turn now, then we'll have it when we have something to spend it on. If we don't start saving cash, then next time a shiny new toy rolls out of our science rooms, we going to have to drop everything and try to scrape up funds.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    D (Middle East) 2, £(1)

I too vote for trying to raise funding. We should use the current crisis as a lead to the funding council - we'd be more then happy to protect all their countries equally, but without additional funding for multiple interceptor craft we can't deal with a numerically superior enemy who can disappear into space when it perceives a threat.

They need to understand that based on the historical incursion profile, we need at least 3 interceptors to have a chance of covering the globe.

In practice of course, we're just going to throw all 3 interceptors at the one target until our kill-rate increases.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    A 1 £(1)

Use any potential successes in Madagascar to boost negotiations next turn. Also, Madagascar should give a bonus to car interceptor insurance rolls.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • DumpShockDumpShock Does everyone? Registered User regular
    D (Middle East) 2, £(1)

Raising funds seems like a good idea....

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Turn 2

The Pit remained busy but Mother was quiet. A single false alarm had a half-strength strike team rushing for the hangar, but the red voxel vanished after four seconds. System technicians were sure that it was just an artefact. A signal processing error to do with non-standard formats in the incoming aerial intelligence.

Isn't anybody else worried about this? Seems to me that a ship stealthed soon after our radar detected it. There may be as many as 4 ships out and about right now. We need to get this armor completed in case this stealth ship tries to attack our boys at the base while our interceptor is out so that we can begin research on detection tech.

I suggest keeping the soldiers at the base while having the assault craft hovering near the base so that it can make a swift return if something pops up. If the (potentially) stealthed craft tries to raid our base while they think it's unmanned, we can have our guys pop out with rocket launchers and take it down.

A 2, £(1)

We need money for a better base. After we help out Asia, we should petition them.

e: Are we allowed to write in ideas for what we want? :D

Kaplar on
  • TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    A-2-£1

And yeah, if things go swimmingly asia should give us more cash. But for now, let us wait for it.

Kaplar wrote: »
    Are we allowed to write in ideas for what we want? :D[/b][/color]

Yep, some people have been doing just that. Hence the rocket launchers.

I reserve the right to ignore such things through

Kaplar wrote: »
    Turn 2

The Pit remained busy but Mother was quiet. A single false alarm had a half-strength strike team rushing for the hangar, but the red voxel vanished after four seconds. System technicians were sure that it was just an artefact. A signal processing error to do with non-standard formats in the incoming aerial intelligence.

Isn't anybody else worried about this? Seems to me that a ship stealthed soon after our radar detected it. There may be as many as 4 ships out and about right now. We need to get this armor completed in case this stealth ship tries to attack our boys at the base while our interceptor is out so that we can begin research on detection tech.

I suggest keeping the soldiers at the base while having the assault craft hovering near the base so that it can make a swift return if something pops up. If the (potentially) stealthed craft tries to raid our base while they think it's unmanned, we can have our guys pop out with rocket launchers and take it down.

*snipped vote so as not to confuse Mojo*

We need money for a better base. After we help out Asia, we should petition them.

e: Are we allowed to write in ideas for what we want? :D

All well and said Kaplar. Stealth ships are a possibility with the enemy. However, I think your paranoid over an attack so soon on our base and I believe that investing in ways to detect their ships is futile at the moment.
    -We dont even know what the material of their ships are made out of (asteroids and squid metal),
    -their propulsion signatures (aside from visual descriptions from our interceptor pilots in the middle of fights), or
    -how they communicate between ships.

until we research the fragments we collected and manage to capture a (mostly) intact craft and understand its components, (or interrogate a pilot/navigator/HVT) we are better off getting our troopers equipped to take on such tasks.

a4irovn5uqjp.png