As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Blood Bowl 3 is out; praise Nuffle!

Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
edited March 2023 in Games and Technology
158_big.jpg

_les_origines_en.png;
Blood Bowl is an ultra violent team sport, based on the Warhammer fantasy world. Build up your team with Orcs, Elves, Dwarfs and many other fantasy creatures before jumping into the bloodiest arenas! Blood Bowl was originally created by Jervis Johnson and Games Workshop in 1987. The board game, a parody of the Warhammer world and American Football, met with success in the 80s and the 90s. The world’s largest Tabletop Wargames company continues to sell the game's miniatures today. Also, its creator never stopped improving and enriching Blood Bowl’s game system and universe with several rule changes.

Today, Blood Bowl remains very popular around the world thanks to a large community of players and numerous dedicated fansites. As for old Blood Bowl players, they have unforgettable memories of all the passionate games they used to play. Throughout the years, the original Blood Bowl game has earned a legendary status.

_le_jeu_en.png
The game is a combination of a tactical game and a sports game The basics are extremely simple: two teams, one ball. The team that carries the ball into the opponent's end zone scores a touchdown, the team with the most touchdowns at the end of the game is the winner. However, it’s how you decide to do this that makes things interesting, the ends justify the means! It’s not just the players you have at your disposal either. You can bribe the referee’s to look the other way as you cripple or trample annoying opponents and hire illegal wizards to give you a hand directly from the crowd… Blood Bowl severely tests the finest tacticians' strategies. Note: This is not anything resembling a Madden type game with Orcs, it is a TURN BASED game.

Main Website:
http://www.bloodbowl-game.com
Forums:
http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/
Some Additional Information:
http://bbtactics.com/
Good information for Newbies(Everyone):
http://fumbbl.com/help:The+Taoch!+of+Blood+Bowl:+A+Condensed+Guide+for+Newbies
Game Rules:
Competition Rules
Good bit of Rule explanation:
BB Forum explaining what nots
Steam Group Info for all PA players of any League:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pabb

Currently there is no Leagues running other than Open League where you can play against anyone at any time.
To Join our League:
Go into BB:LE
Go to Multiplayer
Internet Leagues
Login to your online account
Create a New Team as we're starting the League with "New" teams only
Click on "Leagues"
Select - PA Regular League

League Info:
RULES
Currently we are going by Gentleman ruleset. Don't be a Goose. Don't Disconnect if your losing. Don't Concede if you're losing. Try to get your game played in a reasonable time frame (One Week currently per game, may be adjusted later).

To keep the League flowing I'm instituting a new rule - If you are incommunicado for a week or more, you may be dropped for someone that is willing to be more active. As always, there are exceptions and what not, but if you can't send me a PM to let me know that there is an issue, then I can't guarantee your spot will still be there when you come back.

12 man Rule:
You have 12 men on the field of play. You are unable to remove one to make it 11. What do you do?

Player with the extra man:
- Move the offending player to the far corner of the end zone and not touch him unless he needs to move him to the other corner as the game play progresses. This player may not make any move other than to get out of the way of traffic and should never be in the way of traffic.

Player without the extra man:
- Will NOT touch the offending player and pretend it does not exist.

If you want your game validated in a timely manner, contact me either through Steam(preferred for quicker response times) or PM me here.

How do I know who I am playing and how do I actually Play a match?
Hey Banzai, Who do I play next?

First - go to the Multiplayer -> Internet Leagues

Enter Login/Pword and CONNECT

You will be on the Overview tab - click the LEAGUES tab on the top, between Community and Play!

first box, will have Auld World in it (black box with a Red banner at the end with a white urm... thing cuz I forget the name of that thing.. Chevron?

CLick the White chevron or in the black box, not the Pretty BROWN Auld World Banner.

Select the League in question - for Regular it will be listed under private Leagues and "PA GT League"

This brings you to the PA Regular League page(or the Open/Speed/etc.)

Now for the hard part, click CALENDAR.

It will bring up the FULL calendar for this League - and even tell you what Match Day you currently are on. Note the Day, scroll down as needed to find that Day and see who you are going to play. Or who you will play from then on out if so desired.

But Banzai, that's well and good, I now know I Play YOU! How do I challenge you and get this easy win?

From wherever you are click the PLAY tab at the TOP.

This will bring up a list of all your teams in their respective Leagues. Find the League/Team you are supposed to beat me with(Say the Regular one) and click that Team name(on the TOP part under Teams, not Under "PA Regular League"

Now we have your team selected, look under the League heading down below and your Name will be highlighted and low and behold you'll see you are up against my famous Human team of losing. CLICK there. Yes, anywhere on that line to highlight it in Red.

Ok, now is the complicated part. Your opponent needs to be ONLINE and in Blood Bowl at this point in time, so if you have not set this up ahead of time, it won't work. But since you are playing Me, I'm there and waiting.

Next to the League Name is a Football and a "Play Match!" button that is so fucking ridiculously inconspicuous that I don't have words to describe it.

Now click that Button and it will send a challenge, which appears in the opponents lower right hand side of the screen. They click accept and boom, the process of playing the game is now under way.

Please NOTE: If you are SENDING the Challenge, then YOU ARE HOSTING the game. You may/will/need/probably have to do some port forwarding for this to work. These ports are 9103 and 16962 - note they need to be TCP/UDP not just TCP. Any questions on how to do this go here - http://portforward.com/ select your router, then Blood Bowl and do what it says to do.

The PA Open League:
This League is ran by Rami(Steam:WSDX)

Search for 'The PA Open League'

Rules:
Any teams may apply
Usual password
No matchmaking (play whoever you want)
No limit on matchups (but please refrain from playing the same person over and over again with the same teams)
Turn based (of course)
You may enter more than 1 team

It's set as a championship I believe but there is no real championship to be had, just a palce to easily find PA matchups with similar teams.

50433.png?1708759015
Sterica on

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Hey guys remember that one time where I won some leagues? Cool. Yea.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular

I don't remember that, but then I may have missed it over the sound of dying elves.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

I don't remember that, but then I may have missed it over the sound of dying elves.

That Yhetee can go suck a dick.

On my phone but I'll post an idea for reviving the multiplayer later tonight.

steam_sig.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I'm congenitally unable to be available reliably for the extended time frame needed for past leagues, but i'd def. be up for a 4-8 team round robin played over one or two days - is that a format anybody could get behind?

fwKS7.png?1
    edited August 2012
    Ok so the big problem with MP is that leagues take way to long. Leagues pretty much have to be 1 game per week since games usually don't get played till the weekend which means even a short league can take almost a month to complete and when someones team gets fucked over with a bunch of dead players not many people are willing to keep coming back to get their ass handed to them so the league can stay on schedule. My proposal is we make an Open league that will take any PA league team and get our teams out of all the stalled leagues to go back to posting in this thread and hanging out in the Steam group Blood Bowl chat when we want to get our game on. Once we got a decent player base again we can go back to leagues by doing Playoff leagues by dropping our teams out of the Open league and rejoining once the trophy is handed out. A 4 person Playoff league is only 2 days of games so we can fit that into a single weekend. Fridays are usually good game days so we can have an 8 person playoff over a 3 day weekend. No more making a new team and spend weeks in a league trying to get in the playoffs for a chance at the trophy so you never play that team again. Instead the goal is to see how far your team can go before it is brutally murdered, leagues are just a way to have some guaranteed games with maybe a decent cash prize at the end.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I've started playing in a Blood Bowl league at the local game store, but I'm still rather new to it and I've been told a good way to get better would be to get the computer game to play. My question is, is the game up to date with the current tournament rules on Games Workshop's website?

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I've started playing in a Blood Bowl league at the local game store, but I'm still rather new to it and I've been told a good way to get better would be to get the computer game to play. My question is, is the game up to date with the current tournament rules on Games Workshop's website?

Sorta... and not really, but kinda. And playing vs the AI is worthless for learning so you'd have to play against another human.

50433.png?1708759015
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Sorta... and not really, but kinda.

Could you, uh, elaborate on that?
    And playing vs the AI is worthless for learning so you'd have to play against another human.

Oh, I've no doubt about that.

And playing vs the AI is worthless for learning so you'd have to play against another human.

In as much that they don't have all the Star players for all the teams, so there is a slight imbalance leading towards the bash heavy teams. I *think* they are *trying* to adhere to the rule book. I've never played Tabletop so I can't tell you how exact of a match the game is.

50433.png?1708759015

In as much that they don't have all the Star players for all the teams, so there is a slight imbalance leading towards the bash heavy teams. I *think* they are *trying* to adhere to the rule book. I've never played Tabletop so I can't tell you how exact of a match the game is.

Not to mention the UI gives some problems that wouldn't be an issue in the tabletop version and the bug that will probably never be fixed.

steam_sig.png
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So somehow I missed there was a new thread made for this. Anyway chaos edition is out in 5 days and you can buy it for 10$ if you own one of the previous versions (think it has to be a pre order to get this deal). You can also now register any existing codes into steam (I.e. all codes are now steam codes).

Being the blood bowl whore that I am I have pre purchased. I'll drop a review of the new teams in here when I'm done.

@Darkprimus Although I am months late, yes it is very faithful to the table top. There are some small bugs on skills but you will most certainly learn sufficient info from playing the pc game. Note that there will be a team in the chaos edition that won't be in the tabletop, although you could easily adapt it.

I hope that cyanide releases the other teams via dlc like they have done for dungeon bowl.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Just spotted Chaos Edition now, Kafka, next your name on the 'just purchased' bit on Steam.

Quite tempted, but coming out the day before Xcom is terrible timing for me.

OTOH, it's only £7 here, so I might bite the bullet and go for it.

Not too bothered by new teams, but the new single player enhancements sound fun.

Bought it - 107 hours in Blood Bowl Legendary, so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth...

And I think the discount is permanent - if you've ever owned a previous version of Bloodbowl, you get a 60% discount. Sweet !

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Hmm. I've wanted to try Blood Bowl. This new Chaos Edition a good place to jump in?

Hmm. I've wanted to try Blood Bowl. This new Chaos Edition a good place to jump in?

I'd guess so - the previous version version was Legendary, which I loved, despite some problems (multiplayer was flaky, there were a few skills that weren't implemented correctly).

Buckets of fun, though, both in single player and online.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Wow, almost no warning on chaos edition. They mention it was being made several months ago, and no news since until it shows up in the steam store.

So, the new khorne team has input from the guy who made chaos pact, slaan, underworld, so its nice that it isnt a cyanide brainchild. Im really looking forward to checking them out.

Edit: Looks like cyanide has released the roster:

0-16 Pit Fighter 60k 6/3/3/8 GP / AS Frenzy
    0-4 Bloodletter Daemon 80k 6/3/3/7 GAS / P Horns, Juggernaut, Regeneration
    0-2 Khorne Herald 90k 6/3/3/8 GS / AP Frenzy, Horns, Juggernaut
    0-1 Bloodthirster 180k 6/5/1/9 S / GAP Loner, Wild Animal, Claw, Frenzy, Horns, Juggernaut, Regeneration
    RR: 70k
    Apoth: yes

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I think TNTrooper's idea of having a playoff league over the course of a weekend is a pretty good idea. I have 93 hours spent playing Blood Bowl (how is that fucking possible), and probably only 15 or so of those were not spent trying to come up with unique names for teams and players that are inevitably killed within two games.

But... XCOM...

@wotananubis the only issue is the previous versions weren't compatible so you may have difficulty playing until chaos edition becomes the standard.

No mutations for the khorne team seems weird (not even on doubles?) but that looks like it could be an interesting team.

steam_sig.png
    I think TNTrooper's idea of having a playoff league over the course of a weekend is a pretty good idea. I have 93 hours spent playing Blood Bowl (how is that fucking possible), and probably only 15 or so of those were not spent trying to come up with unique names for teams and players that are inevitably killed within two games.

But... XCOM...

One additional reason for me to get th new games IS Xcom - rather, it will give me something to play Thursday evening, while I wait for midnight, and xcom to unlock.

I think 6 or so hours of turn based combat should get me in the mood for...several more hours of turn based combat !

NEWS!:

I will be starting a new league after the release of chaos edition. Weekly games, if we get at least 6 players its a go. Chaos Edition is compatable with legendary (you just dont get to play the new teams), so if you aren't getting CE but still want to play, you are welcome to. I think CE adds more league options, so im going to wait until its release to list the league details.

If anyone is interested, let me know, along with any other preferences (allowing prior PA teams to join, team limits, etc.)

Steam
    I'd be keen to play but I'd need to see what other people's availability is. I'd only be able to play weekends, mostly Friday/Saturday night and Sunday morning PST. I don't want to sign up and have to skip a bunch of games.

steam_sig.png
    I will play!

I will play!

D:

50433.png?1708759015
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I think I'm going to get back into this. Took my Dwarf team (An Unexpected Journey) on a trial game against a pubbie in one of the public leagues and got myself one hell of an epic game.

High Elves verse Dwarves, mortal enemies square off. Dwarves go with Tails and promptly lose the coin toss, elves elect to receive. After getting all players into position Unexpected Journey send the ball deep and it lands in an empty corner of the end zone, while the pussy elves back off and stay one square away and their passer "Stupid Elf Name" gets the ball and throws an easy 2 square pass for easy points and end the turn. Nori promptly blitzes their level 3 linemen and kills his ass, and the pathetic elven apothecary kills him a second time, while the rest of the team gets into position to engage and defend because the pussy elves wont stay put. Next turn the elves get the ball into one corner of the field on my side and position a small but effective shield, while the Dwarves try to engage, but the only tackle that turn (a blitz) ends in the ball carrier getting pushed.

The third turn is the Elves ball carrier moving into the corner and the shield getting even tighter in a classic stall attempt, but this time the blitz connects with Bombur killing their level 4 catcher. Elves still continue their stall maneuver for their fourth turn, so this time the blitz just BH's a level 1 lineman. Fifth turn ends with the elves as bunched as they can get without going into the endzone, and the dwarves finally ending within tackle distance but those shifty bastards surfed my runner to BH him, then score the TD making it a 1-0 game. They kick off for my 6th turn, so I push around the 3 unlucky bastards that get to start on the line and get a cage set but fumble the ball pickup finally get it picked up on the 7th and get a cage marching down field but I don't have enough time to score

Second half starts with me getting the ball, so I BH one of the 3 unlucky souls on the starting line and knock down the other 2, get a cage set up middle of the field and my blitzer manages to pick up the ball, hand it off to another blitzer who gets safely in the cage. Elves try to defend by getting in the way of the cage without engaging it, but the Dwarves counter by blitzing and BHing an elf and methodically position the players into another cage a little further downfield. They keep that up until the 13th turn when they score their 6th casualty with another BH and also the touchdown.

Dwarves let their guard down on the ensuing kickoff and let the Elves get an easy 2 turn score, which left the dwarves 2 turns to get a TD to tie it. For those that aren't aware, Dwarves aren't speedy. Each side of the field is 13 squares long, and my fastest dwarf has 5 movement (since the Runner is BH :( ), so it's possible but not likely. I line up 3 of my 5 movement dwarves on the line and a third in the back to get the ball deep. Kickoff and I get a quick start so I move everyone up one and see the ball was kicked out of bounds so it goes right to my blitzer. Move a cage up to where I plan to move the ball, then move the ball carrier up 5 squares and now he only needs to GFI twice to score but notice a mistake in my cage:
    XOX
    X_X

Leaving the ball carrier wide open for an attack, which of course he does get attacked and drops the ball. Turn 16, this is it. I first blitz an elf and BH the elf that knocked the ball loose, then stand up my blitzer, pick the ball up, hand it to Nori my 2 ag Troll Slayer who then manages a double GFI to score and tie the game at the buzzer.

I need to play this more

Veevee on
    I will play!

D:

Do... do you not want me to?

I will play!

D:

Just messing with you man.

50433.png?1708759015
    I will play!

D:

Just messing with you man.

Do... do you fear me?

edited October 2012
    I guess CE doesnt come out on steam until the 11th. That's too bad, because i really want to try out that khorne roster. It looks like they will be king of turnovers.

Nurgle being my favorite team, i like playing the positional game and focus on space control. Khorne seem to try and play the same game with way more aggressiveness instead of nurgle's conservatism. Skilling up Pit Fighters seems to be an interesting challenge as well. Leader, Dauntless, Block, Wrestle, Fend would all be super useful. I think all my double rolls for them will be Guard, but sidestep\standfirm also attractive options.

I can see myself using different builds for all the bloodletters and heralds, since this team has so many needs. Very excited for this roster.

Edit: I hope Khorne mirror matches are every bit as bonkers as i imagine them to be.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I'm back baby! I might get this as well. I am a goddamn fool who loves wasting money and time.

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Room for a Brit in the league? I feel the need to bring in the second generation of my blessed-by-the-devil High Elves team.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    Room for a Brit in the league? I feel the need to bring in the second generation of my blessed-by-the-devil High Elves team.

Careful, my dwarves eat elves for breakfast

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    i was an early adopter of the PC game (played tabletop once or twice way long ago) but could never get any friends on board to play with me

i wanna learn! and play!

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    The mythical PA league starts anew?

mrt144 wrote: »
    The mythical PA league starts anew?

Once CE is released on steam ill throw one up, im just waiting to see if they adjusted any of the league options/prizes. I'll put up a formal post when that happens.

Steam
    In the mean time, let's get an open league going where old and new teams are welcome

I guess CE doesnt come out on steam until the 11th. That's too bad, because i really want to try out that khorne roster. It looks like they will be king of turnovers.

Nurgle being my favorite team, i like playing the positional game and focus on space control. Khorne seem to try and play the same game with way more aggressiveness instead of nurgle's conservatism. Skilling up Pit Fighters seems to be an interesting challenge as well. Leader, Dauntless, Block, Wrestle, Fend would all be super useful. I think all my double rolls for them will be Guard, but sidestep\standfirm also attractive options.

I can see myself using different builds for all the bloodletters and heralds, since this team has so many needs. Very excited for this roster.

Edit: I hope Khorne mirror matches are every bit as bonkers as i imagine them to be.

I too am looking forward to try them out. I am interested to see how my planned starting roster will work.

I'm also keen to see the other teams in action. Chaos dwarfs are intense and the underworld team with its availability of mutations can make some interesting players!

Not sure what I would play in the league, wouldn't want 6 teams of khorne!

steam_sig.png
    I think my starting roster will look like:

3 RR
    6 Pit fighters
    4 Letters
    1 Herald

With 20k left over and an apoth then herald as my next purchases. The first pit fighter probably gets leader.

Steam
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    What's different in the CE besides the three extra teams?

World cup mode. New stadium (pointless). If you dont plan on playing with the three new teams, just stick with LE if you already have it, since they are compatible.

CE is a good jump on point at 30$, since it is standalone. If you already have a copy, its basically $10 for the three new teams. I'm hoping some other things have changed, but not holding my breath.

Steam
    I'm reading on cyanide's Facebook page that they've blocked access to the servers unless you have chaos edition. Seems a bit extreme. I'm still on holiday so can't confirm.

steam_sig.png