As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Panda Thread of Mystery

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Yep, I feel that exact same way. It's the same reason I can't bring myself to roll a goblin warrior or DK. Just feels wrong to me.

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I really wonder at Blizzard's plan for questing sometimes. The end quest chain for finishing Valley and Wilds is fantastic and gives a nice glimpse at some basic raid mechanics. But you only unlock it if you finish both zones. Which means most people won't see it, cause you only have to finish one to be high enough for Kun-Lai. Also, the lack of breadcrumb quests to some hubs is a little disturbing. The Lagoon area of the Wilds is really cool (albeit really short and not utilizing the entire area), but unless you happen to see the yellow exclamation point on yellow wings on a yellow map, you're gonna miss it.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    You also don't get explicitly sent to Nesingwary's Camp this time. The best you get is if you do some quests for a goblin in the Wilds she will mention his camp when she leaves, but doesn't give you quests to go there. Fortunately this seems to trigger the "!" appearing on your map so that you can easily find it even without a breadcrumb.

As a side note, am I the only one who reads the title of the thread to the same tune as the opening line of the Darkwing Duck Theme?
    How about now?

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    I think those hubs don't have a breadcrumb quest because they're seen as optional.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I really wonder at Blizzard's plan for questing sometimes. The end quest chain for finishing Valley and Wilds is fantastic and gives a nice glimpse at some basic raid mechanics. But you only unlock it if you finish both zones. Which means most people won't see it, cause you only have to finish one to be high enough for Kun-Lai. Also, the lack of breadcrumb quests to some hubs is a little disturbing. The Lagoon area of the Wilds is really cool (albeit really short and not utilizing the entire area), but unless you happen to see the yellow exclamation point on yellow wings on a yellow map, you're gonna miss it.
    The raft was neat. Is that the only place they use that mechanic? Nothing like putting in a handy travel mechanic that you use for all of 10 minutes.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    The raft was neat. Is that the only place they use that mechanic? Nothing like putting in a handy travel mechanic that you use for all of 10 minutes.

The angler dailies have one you can use for some of them, and eventually, with enough angler rep, you can buy one.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=85500

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    So, having not played WOW in months - my account has been closed since May - my account got hacked last week. Odd, but I figured it might have something to do with the Blizzard hack I saw something about in August. So, I changed my e-mail password (using my iPad) to a 10+ digit combination of random letters, numbers and special characters, and then recovered my WOW account. Using a computer only used for gaming, never Internet browsing, protected by McAfee with regular scans, and reformated less than a month ago, I logged into battle.net and updated my passcode to a 10+ digit combination of random letters, numbers and special characters. I logged into Starcraft II, updated game files, and then did nothing else with my battle.net account. My e-mail has only been accessed on my iPad and my Android phone. My passwords are only ever used for one thing, and they're only written down in the physical world, taped to my tower at home. No one has been in my hoe but me in the last two weeks.

And I was hacked again tonight.

I am very sad. I was made more sad by Blizzard's customer care line being so full of people calling in that it wouldn't put me in queue.

Still, I'm not getting an authenticator. I'd rather find out I've been potentially compromised via my battle.net account acting screwy than my bank account suddenly missing funds.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    edited October 2012
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Still, I'm not getting an authenticator. I'd rather find out I've been potentially compromised via my battle.net account acting screwy than my bank account suddenly missing funds.

I'm confused as to how these two things are connected. The getting an authenticator and money leaving your bank account.

-edit-

Also, just in case.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

MuddBudd on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    As a side note, am I the only one who reads the title of the thread to the same tune as the opening line of the Darkwing Duck Theme?
    How about now?
    Nah, I thought that a month ago.

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    I've got both a Warrior and Warlock up to 76/75 now, and it's been amazing how fast they've blown through content. Besides the brief time in HFP level territory that is, which was, as I've said before, a fucking PvP horrorshow.

Hell, they both started in Borean Tundra at 68 and neither has actually completed it yet, with only one go through each dungeon for each of them for quest XP. Did they retune the Wrath zones XP-wise or something? :o

now if only i could decide which to main :(

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    An authenticator has nothing to do with your bank account, and is the easiest way to protect your account (especially since hackers will slap on your account anyways just to make getting the account back even more of a hassle). If you are that concerned about your credit card or bank account being put into jeopardy, then remove all payment information from you account and pay strictly via game cards from retail stores.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I'm confused as to how these two things are connected. The getting an authenticator and money leaving your bank account.

-edit-

Also, just in case.

I already use malwarebytes. It shows no infection.

If something changes on my Battle.net account without my say-so, it means I'm potentially compromised in other ways, and I need to take steps to make sure all of my other accounts online are protected. If someone has compromised my e-mail account, they potentially have access to my bank account. I would rather find out that I've potentially been compromised by someone taking over my Battle.net account than finding out by someone taking over my bank account.

Basically, the Battle.net account is a coalmine canary.

EDIT: To try to be clearer about what I'm talking about, I have absolutely no fear of someone getting my financial information through my Battle.net account. I do fear that a state of being compromised that initially manifests itself as a Battle.net account problem could instead be a symptom of a larger security problem. Having something go wrong with my Battle.net account? Mildly annoying. Having someone gain access to my e-mail accounts, bank accounts, etc? A significantly larger problem. If I'm compromised, and someone goes for my WOW account first, that's absolutely fantastic for me, giving me a heads up that I need to resecure things quickly. If I have an authenticator, I'd never gain that heads up.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Nesingwary is really that's all? for me. because before he would hunt big game why not hit up the dread wastes or some of the other zones?

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Nesingwary was kind of disappointing. I expected to have to grind out a lot more mobs. Also just a ring? Boo. I wanted to finally upgrade my weapon from the blue I've been using since the first zone.

Well I do find it funny that we are not drowning in questionable greens like in cata but at least I can try to do a vain search for a vendor when they pile up or de them

-edit-

Also, just in case.

I already use malwarebytes. It shows no infection.

If something changes on my Battle.net account without my say-so, it means I'm potentially compromised in other ways, and I need to take steps to make sure all of my other accounts online are protected. If someone has compromised my e-mail account, they potentially have access to my bank account. I would rather find out that I've potentially been compromised by someone taking over my Battle.net account than finding out by someone taking over my bank account.

Basically, the Battle.net account is a coalmine canary.

EDIT: To try to be clearer about what I'm talking about, I have absolutely no fear of someone getting my financial information through my Battle.net account. I do fear that a state of being compromised that initially manifests itself as a Battle.net account problem could instead be a symptom of a larger security problem. Having something go wrong with my Battle.net account? Mildly annoying. Having someone gain access to my e-mail accounts, bank accounts, etc? A significantly larger problem. If I'm compromised, and someone goes for my WOW account first, that's absolutely fantastic for me, giving me a heads up that I need to resecure things quickly. If I have an authenticator, I'd never gain that heads up.

"Basically, the Battle.net account is a coalmine canary."

One. The point of a coalmine canary was to know when something was wrong when the canary died, which was usually BEFORE the actual miners died. You're implying the only warning you want is when your buddy working the coal seam next to you falls dead, right before you do.

I'm assuming you mean "Basically, the LACK of a Battle.net account is a coalmine canary."

Two. Hacking one of your accounts does not give someone access to ALL of your accounts. Unless you are dumb enough to use the same password for EVERYTHING, and to keep a list of it in your e-mail somewhere. I don't think you are. Generally speaking, if someone is hacking your account, they are using a rootkit designed specifically for that, or more likely are just brute forcing passwords or using an exploit or something. Which brings me to...

Three. If a dude is hacking your computer at that level of skill he has NO interest in your WOW account at all. He came for your banking info, he's not going to be distracted by a shiny new WOW account to fuck with.

Get an authenticator.

Get an authenticator.

Picture130.jpg

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    While I'm amused that I can hit my "Boom" Macro (BW, Lynx Rush, Rapid Fire, Rabid, trinket)and watch people die in PVP inside of an intimidation, I'm not sure it's very well balanced.

On the other end of the spectrum, my class has three of the four lowest rated dps specs in PVE.

So, for now, I guess I'll continue to mash my "Skillz" button for easy gear.

If they don't buff Marks or Surv, when they finally nerf BM, the hunter class is pretty much done for this tier.

Has anyone figured out what the scrying orbs in Mogushan Palace do?

• KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Nesingwary was kind of disappointing. I expected to have to grind out a lot more mobs. Also just a ring? Boo. I wanted to finally upgrade my weapon from the blue I've been using since the first zone.

This was the one Nesingwary I disliked the most, and I don't like any of them (yet I do them anyway when leveling alts..). Mostly I blame the combination of 'kill 15 foxes' + 'kill 10 mooses or whatever'. Those quests come after I've had to avoid a minefield of mooses and get interrupted by damn annoying and not at all sly foxes constantly, and yeah, having to kill 15 stealth enemies in the same area as the mooses? At least they weren't both stealthy.

I liked the ending though, weirdly.

Somehow, after having a long series of the worst kind of pugs (not the wiping kind, that's made impossible now, just the jerks), I ended up running two dungeons with an awesome group. Tank who pulls big packs and can manage it, great healer, and even dps was excellent. Seemed cool people too, and yet it was full pug. I actually sort of felt like the weakest link, since I was on my alt and all. Must've been dreaming or something.

Yeah. I hated the foxes quest but liked the ending, too.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Has anyone figured out what the scrying orbs in Mogushan Palace do?

Mostly just for the jade quillien achievement

Javen on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Yo daaaaang, Vodka downed 3 heroic bosses already! Good shit to them. Good shit to the US in general, the entire first two pages of Wowprogress are US! Where you at, EU?!

Honestly surprised that a lot of EU guilds haven't gotten any. Wait, have none of the EU guilds downed heroics yet? Wow, I think that's actually a thing! At the moment of writing this, 42 guilds have downed Heroic Stoneguard, and none are EU.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Erm, the raids unlock for the EU later today.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, hacking tends to be very targeted and purposeful. Nobody targeting your bank account is targeting your WoW account, and vice versa. The reason people target WoW accounts is because it's an easy way to make money, and there's still little legal action you can take against losing digital items like WoW gold. Stealing the password to a bank account will get you a whole lot of negative attention very quickly, so the people doing it are not the ones who have set up a way to make a profit off stolen video game accounts. They are focused on identity theft and not getting caught.

The only time there is any sort of cross-pollination between WoW and Shit-That-Matters is random hacker groups that are fucking with people for the sake of fucking with people. And that's generally because you have terrible basic security. If you Battle.net acount has the same password as ANYTHING related to important business, then you need to change the passwords of both Battle.net and any site associated with that password.

This is just a roundabout way of saying "Get a fucking authenticator."

YL9WnCY.png
  • KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Ugh, did the LFR (haven't touched those before), and I hate it. Pure zerg, should have wiped tens of times but no. I'll still probably end up doing those for possible gear upgrades (or alts), but.. ew. Why would anybody want that mindless zerging I don't know.

I change my battle net password every so often but then I hate when i decided to change it after work and forget what I used

It's the return of the BAG OF DISAPOINTMENT in the lfr I really do question why they thought the loot needed to be changed

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Mc zany wrote: »

Wait, really? Do raids not reset on Tuesday in Europe? Or is there some timezone thing going on? Oh man, I'm confused.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Mc zany wrote: »

Wait, really? Do raids not reset on Tuesday in Europe? Or is there some timezone thing going on? Oh man, I'm confused.

Yeah, in Europe, the maintenance window is during Wednesday mornings.

Just reached "Total 5-player dungeons entered: 200". Level 83. PvP server. "Total deaths from opposite faction: --"

So you did dungeon after dungeon like you said was the plan?

edited October 2012
    So far, yeah. Allowing exceptions for things like Brewfest, Darkmoon, and cooking/fishing dailies that give XP but don't require going anywhere that's contested.

Didn't complete all 200 of those instances, though. Just now bailed out of a run where people didn't know why LoS-pulling and waiting for a pack to reach the tank was a good idea. And also votekicked a mage out of a group when he linked DPS charts (with him at the front) and yelled at me for not hurrying fast enough. So it's got its own set of aggravations, even without the gankings.

SabreMau on
    I see a lot of mages in full herilooms linking dps charts and yelling about how great they are

I kind of did the same thing with my death knight but then it was more of I really did not want to quest in outland again

• ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    I got votekicked yesterday because the tank couldnt stay alive on those oh so wonderful Heroic Trash packs everyone is going on about.

I'm a Rogue.

I mean I guess he couldn't vote-kick his guildmates and needed to vent his frustrations somehow.

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Reigner wrote: »
    I got votekicked yesterday because the tank couldnt stay alive on those oh so wonderful Heroic Trash packs everyone is going on about.

I'm a Rogue.

I mean I guess he couldn't vote-kick his guildmates and needed to vent his frustrations somehow.

You probably got kicked because you were also taking damage, so the healer threw some heals and maybe spent a few cooldowns on you, which resulted in the tank then dying.

Completely your fault.

PSN Fleety2009
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Nyht wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a huge disconnect with Worgens being anything BUT melee characters. I have a hard time coming to terms with this huge, bestial werewolf using a gun/bow as a hunter while running away from a goblin warrior ...

Getting to command pets (wolves especially) works fine ... but being unable to go into melee ... it's weird. It was driving me crazy before so I switched to a NE hunter but I kind of miss being a worgen now >_<

I dunno, the only real disconnect I have for Worgen is casters, and that's because their casting animation is just so friggen goofy.

Goblins (and to an extent Gnomes) I have issues with as plate characters because of the way gear looks on them. Goblin helms look bigger than their chest armor and it reminds me way too much of some of the critters from Labyrinth.

On a side note, my vid card crashed hard last night during cloud serpent dailies (when I was killing Saurok). That's going to be a fun login when I get my new card.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    My warrior is a Goblin and I think he looks fine. I don't have a problem with smallish races being fighter-types, I actually like it. I agree that some WoW-races look stupid as casters, but that's mostly because all the males are built like bodybuilders. Humans, Draenei and Nelves are the worst offenders for me here and I hope that if they ever make new character models they give us some customization options.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Hit rating going away possibly?
    We've defended hit as an interesting stat for a long time, but I'm starting to be convinced that it isn't.
    Overall, it just feels more like a penalty when you're not hit capped rather than a bonus when you are.
    Pleeeease, for the love of god get rid of this ridiculous stat.

• KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Holy crap that would be amazing. I understand why it exists, but it just isn't any fun at all. It's a constant hassle every time I get even one new piece of gear.

As someone playing a brewmaster just short of the expertise cap, can't say that feels super fun either really.

This discussion has been closed.