As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] will last forever!

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
00246.gif

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's no time for us
    There's no place for us
    What is this thing that builds our dreams yet slips away
    From us
    Who wants to live forever?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was wondering if people wouldn't post for long enough that the chat thread would drop off the first page of the D&D index.

japan on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I was really hoping that thread would last another five years.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    it will.

in our hearts.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I only use 10% of my heart, though.

Drez on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    this is what I like to see when I come back after a weekend away: a 27 page thread on circumcision.

too funny.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mmm, goat cheese quesadilla.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Raiders of the Lost Ark delivers.

I took this for granted when I was young.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Though nobody is outright admitting it, the circumcision thread is really nothing more than people defending their individual penises. At least that's my theory.

Drez on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Though nobody is outright admitting it, the circumcision thread is really nothing more than people defending their individual penises. At least that's my theory.

You'd be wrong, it's far more morals vs cultural norms.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Raiders of the Lost Ark delivers.

I took this for granted when I was young.

One of my biggest regrets upon moving away from home is that I didnt bring my indiana jones movies with me. Ditto for star wars, and also back to the future.

Fuck was I thinking

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Leitner wrote: »

Oh so you can answer for everyone participating in the thread? I'm proud of you, you've achieved perfect empathy with every D&D forumer.

*clap*

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Oh so you can answer for everyone participating in the thread? I'm proud of you, you've achieved perfect empathy with every D&D forumer.

*clap*

Don't attempt sarcasm. It's not becoming of you.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

*clap*

You're wrong. I'm very becoming no matter what activities I partake in.

Anyway, I absolutely guarantee you that a number of people defending circumcision in the thread are doing so because others have called their penises "mutilated" which is kind of obnoxious no matter what your moral stance is.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

*clap*

Anyway, I absolutely guarantee you that a number of people defending circumcision in the thread are doing so because others have called their penises "mutilated" which is kind of obnoxious no matter what your moral stance is.

Quite possibly. But generally I believe latter conflict that I mentioned to be a more prevelant reason among many of the posters. Especially with the last few pages.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

*clap*

If you remove a piece of flesh from your body in way that affects its appearance or function, it is mutilation

Hell, even piercings are mutilation

The word just happens to have shock value

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    00246.gif
    This right after watching a bunch of Youtube clips of the Grand National.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »

I am torn on this idea.

On the one hand, I'm a quesedilla purist. On the other hand, I love substituting expensive things for cheap things.

VishNub on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yeah. It's like "cult" vs. "religion" and so forth.

Synonyms in meaning can be fricking antonyms in recognition.

--

Vish: Brie Quesadilla?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

*clap*

If you remove a piece of flesh from your body in way that affects its appearance or function, it is mutilation

Hell, even piercings are mutilation

I agree with you there, but the fact is that people are using the word solely because of its shock value, and that's a very low debate tactic.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Yeah. It's like "cult" vs. "religion" and so forth.

Synonyms in meaning can be fricking antonyms in recognition.

Exactly. I cringe when certain people use the term "cult" here, not because it's inaccurate, but because they are using the connotation as a way of instigating the person they are debating with. And it's a very effective, but very base, tactic.

Drez on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn flashlight. Room 205, I will get your key item!

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I agree with you there, but the fact is that people are using the word solely because of its shock value, and that's a very low debate tactic.

Yeah, it's a bit of a dick move.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Do do do.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure whether I think my sig is ironic or not. Mostly because I can't tell if podly is kidding or not.

VishNub on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    VishNub wrote: »
    DiscGrace wrote: »

I am torn on this idea.

On the one hand, I'm a quesedilla purist. On the other hand, I love substituting expensive things for cheap things.

Goat cheese is fabulous, especially with black beans and tomatoes and corn. I love goat cheese of all natures, though, so I may be biased.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the past two months I've been working on teaching myself Russian. I'm only now beginning to look at the written alphabet. Can anyone tell me what "palatization" is? Is it when you put your tongue to the roof of your mouth, or something?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    VishNub wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether I think my sig is ironic or not. Mostly because I can't tell if podly is kidding or not.

As far as I'm concerned, music opinion threads simply don't exist. If I could adblock them in my brain, I would.

Drez on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Started Silent Hill 2. Got to apartment. Saved and stopped.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Shock value is not necessarily low. It helps when you are discussing a normalized cultural phenomenon, to show people for whom it is normalized what circumcision looks like to others. It helps to frame it in a different light. Pushing people out of their verbal comfort zone is an entirely valid course of discussion, IMO.

People have also remarked in the thread that uncut genitals look gross or creepy or weird, which of course elicits an initial "well fuck you" response from me, but helps me to see it from someone else's perspective, and that is effective. I don't begrudge them. That's how they see it. I see a rabbi sucking back blood from a baby cock, and they see a penis that looks like it's wearing too many sweaters.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    can i play silent hill on a macbook?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    For the past two months I've been working on teaching myself Russian. I'm only now beginning to look at the written alphabet. Can anyone tell me what "palatization" is? Is it when you put your tongue to the roof of your mouth, or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatization

It's a good read, but you're intellectualizing it too much. I think it's when you make a few sounds like the "ya" in Katya or when you say "you" in Russian, or when you add a soft sign to a word, etc. etc.

But don't worry about this stuff. Just worry about vocabulary. :P Learning the cyrillic alphabet is helpful.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I tend to use it mostly when referring to the absolutely grotesque things that can happen when you botch.

I'm pretty sure "Well I guess Billy has to be a girl now" can acceptably be called mutilation. :P

Unless Billy's in to that.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's a good read, but you're intellectualizing it too much. I think it's when you make a few sounds like the "ya" in Katya or when you say "you" in Russian, or when you add a soft sign to a word, etc. etc.

But don't worry about this stuff. Just worry about vocabulary. :P Learning the cyrillic alphabet is helpful.

Yeah, I looked at that article earlier and it went right over my head. I figured there had to be a simpler explanation.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh and never tell a girl "otsosi menya."

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Google suggests that is a butterfly painted on a vagina. :|

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Yeah, I looked at that article earlier and it went right over my head. I figured there had to be a simpler explanation.

I never even heard the term and took Russian for three years. It's a dense article.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's an extremely vulgar way of saying "blow me" or "give me a blowjob" (the latter, really, not the colloquial way we say "blow me"). But it's like 100x more vulgar than saying "give me a blowjob" in English.

Of course I said it once. Poor girl choked on her chicken wing.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It's an extremely vulgar way of saying "blow me" or "give me a blowjob" (the latter, really, not the colloquial way we say "blow me"). But it's like 100x more vulgar than saying "give me a blowjob" in English.

Of course I said it once. Poor girl choked on her chicken wing.

So it's like "Blow me you cum toilet?"

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What is the difference between the sounds ш and щ?

Edit: Haha, I took those phonetics you gave me, put them in the Russian alphabet, and ran them through a translator. The translator crashed.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
This discussion has been closed.