As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spaceship games, but mostly X

• Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    Oh my god. Is this really happening? Everything that you just said is everything that I want.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Oh my god. Is this really happening? Everything that you just said is everything that I want.

it's too good to be real man

like I don't think it's possible to live up to the amount of hype my mind has now created for this game

• Options
    You know the feeling of pop-rocks in your mouth? That's what's going on in my brain right now, only instead of candy it's space combat sim... bubbles.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    It's definitely a wait and see thing for me. I'm excited, but that excitement is tempered

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    That sounds amazing.

Anyone know if sword of the stars 2 has gotten better yet?

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2012
    Sounds too much like EVE

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    You shut your mouth

(Is it bad that I only like the concept of EVE but not the implementation or practical reality of it?)

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »
    Sounds too much like EVE

Except Eve wasn't skill based, it was stupid drop down menu automatic combat.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Sounds too much like EVE

It's obvious you don't like it

but that's a gross simplification of EVE

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    You guuuuyyyyyyys... stop iiiiiit

SPACE GIANT IS ROBERTS COMBAT NEW SIM ONLINE CHRIS MAKING

Chris Roberts is making a new giant space combat sim. That's what we should be taking away from this.

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    Sounds too much like EVE

There is obviously strategy too it too.

But it's too much like playing a spreadsheet to me.

• Options
    But the elements of EVE that people complain about most are a direct result of the fundamental design philosophy behind EVE of allowing players to play how they want to play, including fucking each other over if they can get away with it. Obviously it's far too early to say with any confidence, but if this game ends up having something equivalent to corps like EVE does, then you're going to see players banding together for protection and running around in gangs with a focus on ships and equipment that gives the most bang for the buck so you don't lose too much if your ship gets slagged and presumably that means that you need players supporting the economy by mining and trading and such. So yeah, seems like it's likely to end up being very much like EVE. The promise of playing how you want and even having the freedom to prey on other players sounds great in theory, but when the rubber meets the road I suspect the reality will leave most players quite disappointed because they didn't think the promises through to the likely conclusions.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    But the elements of EVE that people complain about most are a direct result of the fundamental design philosophy behind EVE of allowing players to play how they want to play, including fucking each other over if they can get away with it. Obviously it's far too early to say with any confidence, but if this game ends up having something equivalent to corps like EVE does, then you're going to see players banding together for protection and running around in gangs with a focus on ships and equipment that gives the most bang for the buck so you don't lose too much if your ship gets slagged and presumably that means that you need players supporting the economy by mining and trading and such. So yeah, seems like it's likely to end up being very much like EVE. The promise of playing how you want and even having the freedom to prey on other players sounds great in theory, but when the rubber meets the road I suspect the reality will leave most players quite disappointed because they didn't think the promises through to the likely conclusions.

I don't think the player pool is going to be big enough for that on most servers -

this is from lower in the RPS article on it, someone asking "Is this an MMO?"

fVlJH.png

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Although really, that also sets off some alarm bells for me because it sounds like they're trying to be everything at once - single player, co-op, mmo, with no real focus, but a lot of ambition.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Let us just enjoy the excitement for a while.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Rolo wrote: »
    Although really, that also sets off some alarm bells for me because it sounds like they're trying to be everything at once - single player, co-op, mmo, with no real focus, but a lot of ambition.

What? Come on, that worked perfectly for Tabula Rasa...

(I agree with your assessment though, as much as I don't want to) Although to be fair, this isn't exactly something he hasn't been thinking about for a while. My understanding is that this is a game he's been trying to conceptualize for years so maybe he's solved the problems? One can hope anyway...

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    Rolo wrote: »

Yeah, that talk about private servers seems to directly contradict this:
    The game’s name comes from the fact that in this universe, citizenship has to be earned. How you go about it though is completely up to you. If you want that Wing Commander flavour, sign up for a tour of duty in the military and you can focus on combat in a solo/co-op part of the universe. For more freedom, grab a ship and just do your own thing, Privateer/Freelancer style, only within a living economy and ever-expanding universe of mystery and intrigue, only with players instead of just NPCs and no one jerk getting to hog the Steltek gun.

Because if you have a private server with only four dozen dudes, how the hell does that economy work and what are you fighting against/for if not npcs?

Also, remember Spore? *cough*

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Well Freelancer started off as this epic MMO thing with a dynamic economy that would create missions based on galactic supply and that would lead to interstellar conflicts over resources and ...

What it eventually turned out to was actually a pretty decent space-trading game but dramatically scaled back from its original premise.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dammit

I forgot about Spore

So much hype, so little delivery

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I just want to put on my smug face and say I knew spore was going to suck from the get go.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Spore was pretty much exactly what I expected, and just about what all the interviews/videos said it would be. People built it up into a lot more than it was and then got disappointed when their fantasies turned out to be just that.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Spore was pretty much exactly what I expected, and just about what all the interviews/videos said it would be. People built it up into a lot more than it was and then got disappointed when their fantasies turned out to be just that.

While I didn't buy the hype, you're wrong about how the game was marketed. It was definitely hyped up as this amazing game where you could do all these amazing things and you'd have all this amazing freedom. I just remained very skeptical of it all while plenty of people (including the gaming media) was all, "fuck yes this is going to be so motherfucking rad!"
    And Will Wright was absolutely guilty of hyping it up also.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

While I didn't buy the hype, you're wrong about how the game was marketed. It was definitely hyped up as this amazing game where you could do all these amazing things and you'd have all this amazing freedom. I just remained very skeptical of it all while plenty of people (including the gaming media) was all, "fuck yes this is going to be so motherfucking rad!"
    And Will Wright was absolutely guilty of hyping it up also.

They definitely hyped it up a lot, but they never really promised anything specific that wasn't in the end game, and the end game pretty much matched every demo video they showed of it - or at least all the ones I saw. Lots of people saw all the things that they showed you could do, combined with the general hype, and went "oh then you must also be able to do this this and this" and were disappointed when you couldn't.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Give spore to Sid Meier

I bet he can do something with it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    He could probably do something with it, but it still wouldn't be anything close to the game people were salivating over leading up to its release. It just wouldn't be as much of a mess.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Spore should be a cautionary tale to all game designers, imo

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Just saw the Squadron 42 trailer and my pants are missing.

• Options
    It's not even as if Spore is unique in that respect. Molyneux has definitely had his share of high concept games backed with lofty promises that fizzled because he couldn't figure out how to actually make the shit fun to play for any length of time.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    I loved Eve for over half a decade. I was a goonfleet cap pilot who would get paged in the middle of the night to get up and knock down BoB advances. I loved Eve.

But holy shit I've been waiting so long for something truly kin to wing commander and where are my pants

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Yup, pretty much where I am too.

I am nowhere near cynical enough to poo poo this announcement.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    Also remember how great APB turned out.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Druhim, you are the x-box to my atari

'cause there ain't nothing wrong with a flashy man

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    It's not even as if Spore is unique in that respect. Molyneux has definitely had his share of high concept games backed with lofty promises that fizzled because he couldn't figure out how to actually make the shit fun to play for any length of time.

Incredibly true, which is actually why I'm really excited at the fact that he recently left Microsoft to try his hand at indie development.

And yes, Spore was absolutely portrayed as an incredible universe sandbox with infinite possibilities. I still remember, quite vividly, watching the first long 'reveal' video and is pretty much left everyone's jaw on the floor. I, and most of the gaming press, saw the game as the second coming of christ.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I never got into Wing Cammander, but sweet mother of fuck Star Citizen looks amazing.

• Options
    Wing Commander 3

Luke Skywalker has his hot Space-French girlfriend disintegrated by a race of warrior tiger people.

Then he blows up their planet at the end.

Also Gimli was in the game. And Biff!

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Sounds too much like EVE

There is obviously strategy too it too.

But it's too much like playing a spreadsheet to me.

I haven't opened a spreadsheet for Eve in ages, probably because I avoid having any corp responsibility at all costs.

I am also getting the same vibe that Druhim is getting, but time will tell.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    If Spore had just been a really elaborate version of the first stage

Where you just float around eating things and evolving

I actually would've liked it

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    If Spore had a more seemless phase transition, to the point where they didn't feel like phases, it would have been so much better

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    Populous

That is a Molyneux game that was fun to play from start to finish. There...

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    there was an end to Populous? Other than the volcano?