As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2013 Registration: Badges have started to arrive!

• BloodyMaryBloodyMary Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So, I found out this morning that PAX East stuff was on sale when I did my every other day forum check, and what a surprise, a crap ton of stuff sold out. But I figured I'd have enough time to get a 3-day pass when I got home from classes tonight...NOPE. So, how many of you have missed out, what are your plans now that you can't get a 3 day, and what do you think they should do next year to make it easier for more people to go next year? Or how to go on sale?

BloodyMary on
    srsizzy wrote: »
    Bought a pass, but still pissed that these things sell out so fast now and there is no option to resell them. So many people cannot make certain plans this far in advance and won't be able to go -- hopefully I can make it work, but most of my friends can't just drop money like this without advanced warning.
    It's funny, because that was the reason I decided to just go with my boyfriend instead of also trying to plan with friends, since I wanted to make sure we'd get hotels in time...it turns out that we couldn't even get 3 day passes in time! Stupid me, working/going to school too much, not having time for this...:(

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Lucky for you, passes for the individual days are still available. I suggest picking those up before you complain that you missed out completely.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    BloodyMary wrote: »
    So, I found out this morning that PAX East stuff was on sale when I did my every other day forum check, and what a surprise, a crap ton of stuff sold out. But I figured I'd have enough time to get a 3-day pass when I got home from classes tonight...NOPE. So, how many of you have missed out, what are your plans now that you can't get a 3 day, and what do you think they should do next year to make it easier for more people to go next year? Or how to go on sale?

I pointed to a Debate and Discourse thread on large con registration on a previous page. The topic has been discussed thoroughly, and doesn't need to be rehashed here.

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular

While I do agree that the current method of sale could be improved, you have to remember that they did announce registration would be up this month, they did tell you to follow Official_PAX on twitter, and they did give a heads-up two days ago for people to get prepared. Of course, not everyone has constant internet access, so that's an obvious fault, but the 3-Day passes were up for 30 hours, which should cover all off work hours.

Also, you should at least be thankful that there are an abundance of one-days still available. Many people missed out on PAX Prime 2012 because of how fast the badges sold out. The fact that East's badges are still available is pretty nice, in my opinion.

Lazorz wrote: »

While I do agree that the current method of sale could be improved, you have to remember that they did announce registration would be up this month, they did tell you to follow Official_PAX on twitter, and they did give a heads-up two days ago for people to get prepared. Of course, not everyone has constant internet access, so that's an obvious fault, but the 3-Day passes were up for 30 hours, which should cover all off work hours.

Also, you should at least be thankful that there are an abundance of one-days still available. Many people missed out on PAX Prime 2012 because of how fast the badges sold out. The fact that East's badges are still available is pretty nice, in my opinion.
    It's funny because I specifically made a twitter, which I was DEAD against and told myself I'd never make one of those vile things
    zerzhul wrote: »

I pointed to a Debate and Discourse thread on large con registration on a previous page. The topic has been discussed thoroughly, and doesn't need to be rehashed here.
    It was really supposed to be about what others were doing that missed out, and I did not see anything on it at all on this forum, so I don't see the problem..? Can you link it to me, please, then, since I don't see it...?

Registration issues have been discussed at large in the Debate and Discourse subforum (from PAX Prime selling out in < 24 hours). Feel free to read through the thread here.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    So I changed my method of buying passes. Instead of harassing my buddies about buying theirs, I just bought them all and they're paying me back. Plus it saves money on Fed-Ex. If they don't come, I'm not out any money.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    It's funny because I specifically made a twitter, which I was DEAD against and told myself I'd never make one of those vile things

The key step with Twitter is set up Official_PAX to send you a text message alert whenever they tweet. You don't get any tweets they make when they answer people's questions, just the important ones they post as announcements.

I wonder if one of the reasons why it sells out so fast is not because of scalpers, but maybe a lot of people buy a second or third badge just in case for their friend/sibling/cousin/roommate's-sister's-boyfriend's-classmate who might be going, but isn't sure yet.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Now we just have to hope for good weather! We've been pretty lucky so far.

The key step with Twitter is set up Official_PAX to send you a text message alert whenever they tweet. You don't get any tweets they make when they answer people's questions, just the important ones they post as announcements.

I wonder if one of the reasons why it sells out so fast is not because of scalpers, but maybe a lot of people buy a second or third badge just in case for their friend/sibling/cousin/roommate's-sister's-boyfriend's-classmate who might be going, but isn't sure yet.

I'm sure there are multiple factors... but the chief one is that every year demand is increasing by a ton, with limited supply. If everyone at East this year convinces ONE other person to go to next year's East, that's a simple double in demand, not including any other forms of finding new attendees. PAX be popular, yo.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

I'm sure there are multiple factors... but the chief one is that every year demand is increasing by a ton, with limited supply. If everyone at East this year convinces ONE other person to go to next year's East, that's a simple double in demand, not including any other forms of finding new attendees. PAX be popular, yo.

yeah, i think people keep trying to speculate on why pax sells out so fast, blaming scalpers, blaming a faulty system, etc. really though, just a LOT of people really want to go to pax. that simple.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular

This. I know last year (ugh.. this year.. 2012.. whatever).. I had 3 more people come with me. For 2013 I added 3 more on top of that. Where it was just me in 2011, it was 4 in 2012, and now 7 (so far) in 2013. I doubt I'm the only one who has added to the entourage. Blame PAX for being awesome as to why you suddenly have a hard time getting into it.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I double my entourage from 2 to 4. Don't blame scalpers, blame your fellow nerds for wanting to have fun!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    yeah, i think people keep trying to speculate on why pax sells out so fast, blaming scalpers, blaming a faulty system, etc. really though, just a LOT of people really want to go to pax. that simple.

Yep. While there is a scalper market, the quick sellouts are due to the popularity of the event.

And now we can get back to actual registration :) Yes I know I made an off topic comment too.

Predictions on Saturdays selling out? I'm saying next Monday.

• MithrasMithras Registered User regular
    I, as well, missed out. I have to assume that they put more passes on single day, because selling out 2 days after live is pretty ridiculous, especially when all 3 single days are still available. I'd love to know how many single days exist; given the demand of the con I don't know why you wouldn't just go 3-day pass only at this point.

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Mithras wrote: »
    I, as well, missed out. I have to assume that they put more passes on single day, because selling out 2 days after live is pretty ridiculous, especially when all 3 single days are still available. I'd love to know how many single days exist; given the demand of the con I don't know why you wouldn't just go 3-day pass only at this point.

Selling out after 2 days? Granted, there may have been more available as BCEC is bigger than Prime's location, but Prime this year sold out in less than 24 hours.

For me, $70 is a don't-even-think-about-it amount of money for what I'm getting, but there are plenty of people out there who have to scrape and save to buy their PAX badge. I know several people who have wanted to see what all the hoopla is about but could only afford to come on one day. Granted, a LOT of people seem to buy 3 one-day passes, but they certainly also sell singletons to people (otherwise I doubt Saturday would always be the first day to sell out). It might be interesting to see the proportion of people who buy all 3 single day passes though.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • rosaparxrosaparx Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    [mod snip]

one for byoc please, Fri/Sat I'll be there with my laptop & my daypasses;

ANYBODY IN BYOC COMING TO THE PUB CRAWL?!

zerzhul on
  • thir13engunsthir13enguns Registered User new member
    I bought a few 3-day passes for my friends and I but I was too excited that I forgot to check the fedex mail option. How can I add that feature now? What do I need to do to to have the passes mailed to my address? Who do I need to contact to give my purchase order info and add the extra charge to my credit card? Is it possible?

So excited! First time at PAX East! :)

rosaparx wrote: »
    [mod snip]

one for byoc please, Fri/Sat I'll be there with my laptop & my daypasses;

ANYBODY IN BYOC COMING TO THE PUB CRAWL?!

You can't get a BYOC pass if you don't have a badge for all 3 days. I'm not sure what the ruling is this year on letting people in with 3 one-day passes.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    I bought a few 3-day passes for my friends and I but I was too excited that I forgot to check the fedex mail option. How can I add that feature now? What do I need to do to to have the passes mailed to my address? Who do I need to contact to give my purchase order info and add the extra charge to my credit card? Is it possible?

Where are you located? If you are in the US, I doubt you need the FedEx option.
    FedEx Shipping for International Orders and Orders of 5 badges or More
    A FedEx option is available for International Attendees who wish to have their badges mailed to them. This option will be available for orders occuring outside of the US and made before February 8, 2013. If you do not select this FedEx option or if you purchase your badge after February 8, 2013, your badge will be available for pickup at will-call. Ordering 5 or more badges? If you ordered 5 or more badges you MUST select this option if you wish to have your badge mailed.

• salecsalec Registered User new member
    edited October 2012
    Hey guys,
    The registration site says there's a limit of 5 badges per person. Since the 3 day passes are all sold out, I'm planning on buying a badge for each day for myself and my friend. The registration went through, but I'm worried they will end up cancelling the order because it's over the 5 badge limit. It's technically for 2 people, just the same credit card.

If it's going to get me in trouble, who would I contact to make changes to the order?

salec on

Flatline's advice is correct, and in addition you would talk to pax_questions@paxsite.com and/or registration@paxsite.com

salec wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    The registration site says there's a limit of 5 badges per person. Since the 3 day passes are all sold out, I'm planning on buying a badge for each day for myself and my friend. The registration went through, but I'm worried they will end up cancelling the order because it's over the 5 badge limit. It's technically for 2 people, just the same credit card.

If it's going to get me in trouble, who would I contact to make changes to the order?

I'm going to guess that you're fine. You can talk to pax_questions@paxsite.com and/or registration@paxsite.com though if you're worried.

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    And 3 Day badges are already showing up on craigslist but as seriously overpriced ($250). Considering three single days would run you $105, I hope no one falls for it. (I'd link but not sure if that'd violate forum rules on badge selling, even though it's not me).

5I7JEDi.png
    flatline wrote: »

A FedEx option is available for International Attendees who wish to have their badges mailed to them. This option will be available for orders occuring outside of the US and made before February 8, 2013. If you do not select this FedEx option or if you purchase your badge after February 8, 2013, your badge will be available for pickup at will-call. Ordering 5 or more badges? If you ordered 5 or more badges you MUST select this option if you wish to have your badge mailed.

I am in the US and I ordered 5 passes for my friends and I. I forgot to check the fedex option and it said I need it to check it...
    ... If you ordered 5 or more badges you MUST select this option if you wish to have your badge mailed.

My friends and I are all scattered in Canada/US and we will be arriving at different times. So I would like the badges to be mailed so I can send'em to my friends...

Direwolf wrote: »
    And 3 Day badges are already showing up on craigslist but as seriously overpriced ($250). Considering three single days would run you $105, I hope no one falls for it. (I'd link but not sure if that'd violate forum rules on badge selling, even though it's not me).

It's off-topic at the very least, as this is not the EBAY or CRAIGSLIST thread. Yes, linking it would violate the rules.

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    And now we can get back to actual registration :) Yes I know I made an off topic comment too.

I'm surprised they aren't sold out now, if I recall correctly Saturday sold out for Prime 2012 within 24 hours (I remember sleeping on it and then not having the option in the AM when I woke up).

My guess is that Saturday passes are sold out by this Saturday, and the other days are sold out by this Sunday night.

"Perception is reality." -unknown

I am in the US and I ordered 5 passes for my friends and I. I forgot to check the fedex option and it said I need it to check it...
    ... If you ordered 5 or more badges you MUST select this option if you wish to have your badge mailed.

My friends and I are all scattered in Canada/US and we will be arriving at different times. So I would like the badges to be mailed so I can send'em to my friends...

Talk to pax_questions@paxsite.com and/or registration@paxsite.com

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

as previously mentioned...
    Flatline's advice is correct, and in addition you would talk to pax_questions@paxsite.com and/or registration@paxsite.com

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    I added the shipping after reading this; I had 4 badges + 2 BYOC. So 6 total - they should have had this in bold...that's what I get for assuming the text didn't apply to domestic orders.

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    Can someone explain why 3-days were sold out last night but suddenly exist now? I bought three one days and have to pay $35 extra.. and right afterwards more 3-days.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Can someone explain why 3-days were sold out last night but suddenly exist now? I bought three one days and have to pay $35 extra.. and right afterwards more 3-days.

Transactions cancelled, orders modified, etc. These things happen, so the spares get thrown back in the pool - you can probably try your luck and modify your order using the link they mailed you.

Malfeis on
    PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
    Malfeis wrote: »

Transactions cancelled, orders modified, etc. These things happen, so the spares get thrown back in the pool - you can probably try your luck and modify your order using the link they mailed you.

Yeah this will be less common after a few weeks, but it could be they discovered scammers and canceled those orders, or some people screwed up their orders and emailed to fix them, etc.

• AoshiZeroAoshiZero Registered User new member
    So even though I heard that the 3-days were sold out, I decided to try... just in case, figuring that it'd bar me out if anything. Looks like my transaction went through, and I was sent a confirmation code. Did I somehow get super lucky and get one that got thrown back into the system? Or should I look forward to something saying it was an error and that I'm going to get refunded?

Just a confirmation:

You *can* add the FedEx shipping back in if you use the code e-mailed to you without any real issues (I'd do it now, not a week before the show...)

From the PAX Staff to me:

"I have just checked your order and your tickets will be mailed out to you via Fed Ex. Everything else matches perfectly and you are all set.

The tickets will be mailing out two weeks prior to the event. If you move or need to make any changes, please contact us before the tickets are mailed out."

So there you go, easy-peasy. Drop a line for peace of mind, though.

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular

I'll take that bet and wager 10 awesomepoints (I'm staying at the seaport, fyi, so the winner can collect), and say that they sell out *after* that date. What way that, if they sell out by then, you win, if they sell out after, I win, with a 5 day limit on the after which negates the bet after that point >D.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    Malfeis wrote: »
    Just a confirmation:

You *can* add the FedEx shipping back in if you use the code e-mailed to you without any real issues (I'd do it now, not a week before the show...)

From the PAX Staff to me:

"I have just checked your order and your tickets will be mailed out to you via Fed Ex. Everything else matches perfectly and you are all set.

The tickets will be mailing out two weeks prior to the event. If you move or need to make any changes, please contact us before the tickets are mailed out."

So there you go, easy-peasy. Drop a line for peace of mind, though.

Thanks for the reply!

I heard back from registration@paxsite.com and I added already!
    You have to log back in to your registration with your email and confirmation number and add it to your order.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Just wondering, since it seems like 3-day passes are in MUCH higher demand than single-day ones, to the point of people buying 3 1-day passes to make their own 3-day pass, maybe for future years, consider skewing the ratio of 3-days-to-1-days so there are more 3-day passes? If people are just putting 3 single-day passes together, it's not like those single-day ones are serving the assumed purpose to allow more people to go to the show for just 1 day, anyway.