As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spaceship games, but mostly X

1234568»

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    My Dad was a huge wing commander fan

wonder if I should introduce him to this newer stuff

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    Well, not a linear finish. I just meant from the time I picked up that game to the time I eventually stopped playing, there was no time when I was all, "Oh god, this game really falls apart..."

• RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Wing Commander 3

Luke Skywalker has his hot Space-French girlfriend disintegrated by a race of warrior tiger people.

Then he blows up their planet at the end.

Also Gimli was in the game. And Biff!

I loved WC3 so much but I probably played more Prophecy because seriously...

OH SHIT, BUGS!

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I played WC3 on the motha'fuckin 3DO

Hah, nice, I did not have nor know anyone who had a 3DO.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Maan, I remember when I was a kid seeing the intro movies to the early wing commanders playing on the computer screens for sale at stores.

And I was like ooooh my gooood that is a thing I neeeed. The graphics were amazing!

Ahh, childhood.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Kana didn't you post a lot in the short lived Go thread?

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, rip Go thread

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Hah, nice, I did not have nor know anyone who had a 3DO.

Buddy of mine in junior high/high school had one, so I had my save on his. Would have to leave the room while he played so I didn't get spoiled on the story.

Man, 3DO games.

Got to play this.

http://youtu.be/3AMw89H-Yjs

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I got this problem where I can't play games online unless I can talk to the people I play with. But I really love Go. So if you ever wanna VoIP and Go. Hit me up

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    who remembers Freelancer?

Game with all the potential and derp execution

Then someone fixed all the issues and called it EVO and charged a monthly fee :(

The best thing about Freelancer was space germans.

If I'm remembering correctly, and I believe I am, the developers went to some serious lengths to add in HILARIOUS ass sway for all the female characters.

Freelancer was alright.

Dude was voiced by Steve from 90210.

Just found this in the comments section of PARs coverage of the recent Chris Robert's news. Seems like a very impressive tech demo of what's possible and I just thought it was really neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrcEUO7TC28&feature=player_embedded

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm quite confused as to what I'm supposed to be impressed by in that video. It was just 15 min of flying around through space and on a planet.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    The whole entering/exiting a planet's atmosphere, seamlessly? If that doesn't impress you, fair enough, but it's sort of unprecedented for the genre. Space Sims for decades have basically been flying around in a giant vacuum with bits of geometry (ships, asteroids, space stations) here and there. This is the first video I've seen where planets serve as a tangible piece of the world and not just pretty scenery. At most, planet interaction in this genre has involved hitting a hot key, watching a canned little animation of your ship entering its atmosphere, followed by a loading screen, typically followed by a glorified menu.

Yeah, I get that's relatively new. But I don't get how that should get my dick raging hard from a gameplay perspective.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    It's a tech demo, duder. Kind of like how you might demo a new physics engine by colliding a bunch of fruit in an empty room. Aint no gameplay to be had.

I get what you're saying, but when I see this, I just imagine a game like X strapped onto this kind of technology, and then I begin to salivate, and weep for my girlfriend.

Basically, I was with you the whole time up until he entered the atmosphere seamlessly...and then exited just as seamlessly. I went from "meh" to "holy fucking shit!"

I get that it's a tech demo, but it's also logical to think ahead to how that will actually result in fun gameplay. And I'm not really seeing it.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Dru stop being old.

Honestly, there's a ton of times playing X3 where I wish they had the option to actually go do missions on world. Orbital bombardment, mixed land/space warfare, off-ship RPG elements, there's a ton of things that could be done with an engine that enables that sort of seamless transfer.

edited October 2012
    I think the niche of space sim games is, for a lot of people, akin to the niche of...say...model train collecting/landscape building and is less concerned with incredible gameplay as a result (not that I don't enjoy an awesome gameplay-based space sim like Freespace and the like). I.e., when I play X3, the gameplay isn't really that great, but I'm completely engrossed in building and living in that world, establishing trade routes, launching satellites, etc. You'll find a lot of gargantuan X fans, and a lot of them will admit, yeah the combat is pretty shitty. Yeah, the missions are pretty shitty. For them, it's sort of just a miniscule detail.

So, given that's my view and a lot of others, that might explain why I'm so susceptible to seeing something as simple as this and having to pick my jaw up off the floor.

I totally understand your sentiment--I guess what I'm saying is just that my brain works a bit differently as far as what it finds appealing in this subgenre.

Drew-B on
  • B_RB_R Registered User regular
    The best part of Freelancer was the online multiplayer. PvP was great.

edited October 2012
    That's a fair point! I guess I've just found that most of the time games that promise open exploration end up disappointing because it tends to either be vast swaths of geography/space devoid of content, or there is content but most of it is obviously very repetitive.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    I don't think I was suggesting you get a raging space-hardon for it Dru. That wasn't my intention at least. It was just a pretty neat bit of technology and that I could see how if developed by someone that was good at making fun things, that this particular bit of tech could be incorporated to make said fun things pretty fucking cool.

That's the point I was making.

Also, sometimes it's just nice to fly around in space.