As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre PAX East 2013 Forumer's dinner - ALL DONE!

acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East

Hello All!

PAX East 2013 is DONE! I want to thank all of those who came and helped at the dinner as well. For those who want to comment on the restaurant's performance, here is the link to their Yelp page:

Durgin Park on Yelp!

I hope all of you had a great PAX this year and look forward to seeing you again next year!.

3/8/2013

UPDATE: The order has been placed and the dinner is on as planned. All paid orders cannot be refunded, but if you want to transfer ownership of a ticket, PM me and we can work out the details.

3/7/13

ALL TICKET SALES CLOSED. I'm putting in the order today, so if you're "team freestyle" and you didn't tell me what you want, I can't guarantee that the restaurant will have what you want when you get to the dinner.

3/6/13

Freestyle tickets closed, I need time to compose that order. If you haven't sent me your request by tonight, I cannot guarantee what you want the day of the dinner. Paid tickets are available until 11:55 pm (EST) tonight!

1/18/13

UPDATE: So I've finalized the arrangements with Durgin-Park for March 21st from 5pm to 7pm. A heads up: the area we will be in is NOT wheelchair accessible. I will not be able to acomidate those who are in a chair, so please be mindful of that.

Here are the menu choices:

Chicken Caesar
Cheeseburger
Chicken Tenders
Pasta Primavera (vegetarian option)
Fish & Chips

All of these meals will start with a house salad and end with vanilla ice cream.

Also, I was able to keep the option of ordering off the full menu, but you must send me an approximation of what you want (via the forums) by March 5th. Just so your'e not in the dark, here's the full menu: Full Menu

Seating will be first come, first serve.

I was able to keep last years prices for the Pre-Paid Choices (around $25.00 per), but at the cost of paying for this menu 2 weeks before the event. So, when you buy your ticket, know that you have until March 6th to choose if you want to go to the dinner or not. IMPORTANT: I cannot guarantee a refund after the 6th of March in order to pay for the pre-paid meals ahead of time, so please keep that in mind.

More importantly, I will need help. As in actual physical people. If you want to volunteer, message me through the forums.

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

acumen101 on

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Id like to take advantage of the prepax events mainly this and the pokecrawl. After getting wasted at last years pokecrawl a dinner beforehand is probably a great idea.

Can you give us some more details on the dinner? Where was it? What time does it start and end? How many people were expected vs. Showed up? Whays required to participate?

Triiipledot on
  • Liz SLiz S Goomba Symphathizer MARegistered User regular
    I didn't go to one last year (I'm new to the forums) but maybe this year. I live in Boston so just out of curiosity, where did you go?

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    last year's dinner was at durgin park. i personally enjoyed it very much; our server was super friendly and the food was great. definitely in favor of doing it there again, and i may be available to assist you if needed, acumen!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I will finally be in town the day before PAX, so I am up for this.

• DeJarnacDeJarnac Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Any details for the first-timers among us?
    edit: Found details in the wiki.

DeJarnac on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I'd say overall, last year's dinner was good. Someone at my table said her food wasn't very good (too dry, i think? don't remember for sure) and she had trouble getting a waitress' attention to get a replacement. Everyone else I talked to enjoyed it though. If they're willing to have us again, I'd be happy to go again.
    @acumen101 I can help you checking people in. I spent hardly any time at my seat last year anyway :P My burger even got whisked away before I was done with it because I kept wandering off from my table to say hi to people. If I'm checking people in, I'll get to say hi to everyone :D

HI3789R.png
  • Liz SLiz S Goomba Symphathizer MARegistered User regular
    I've been to Durgin Park once or twice. It's not a place I go to regularly (it's mostly a tourist place) but I remember the chowdah being good.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I liked last years dinner, but was that impressed with the food offerings there. I really liked Dicks Last Resort in 2k11. So, I'd like to put that back in as a suggestion if possible. Oh, what about the Hard Rock also? I know we are limited to restaurants that can seat large groups, so I don't know about that one. Oh, again :) what about Fire and Ice. I think that was done, like the first year? That would be great, IMO. Seems to have lots of choices from meat to veggie.

• SausageSausage FLRegistered User regular
    Last year I had the fish and chips, I didn't think it was very good, but would still go again and just get something else next time. The people I met at my table were what made the event which is pretty much synonymous with the community pax events. It doesn't really matter what I eat for dinner anyway, I have a craving for Mike's Pastries that needs attention first.

3DS: 2964-9827-0033
  • DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    Have Enforcers been to this regularly or are they usually too busy with setup to make it?

• KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the company. It was a nice atmosphere. I had a great time. Thank you acumen for all your hard work.

I ordered the fish and chips. The fish was really dry and had no flavor. I think they were understaffed for us because after we got our food the waitress never came back around.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Of course I want to be part of this again :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Durinthal wrote: »
    Have Enforcers been to this regularly or are they usually too busy with setup to make it?

I have seen [E] at the dinner, but I believe first-time Enforcers usually have a meeting Thursday evening that would interfere.

HI3789R.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I've been looking forward to the Dinner ever since PAX ended last year!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • SarahSarah Registered User regular
    Food before the pokecrawl would be good. We came to PAX 2 years ago, and the crawl on no food was great fun, but I did sort of get wasted....

I'd love to come along, so include me (my tea total hubby will come too).

• MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I loved going to the PrePAX Dinner this year! You did a great job. :)

I did like the food at Durgin Park. I guess my only complaint was that our server was very rushed (understandably) and was kind of short with us. I've worked in the food biz so I know it's stressful, so whatev. I also forgot to have pie. Serious dilemma. Will fix that next year.

I'm looking forward to meeting more of you fantastic people, definitely.

Edit: Also.. will DM you on Twitter about potentially helping you out!

Moocifer on
    PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    Hey everyone, the dinner was held at Durgin Park last year, because I wanted to make sure we had a room of our own and not worry about being remote from other PAXers. We had this problem when we went to Fire & Ice and Dick's Last Resort back in 2010 and 2011, respectively. As for the staff issues, there was another party on the other side of the restaurant, so they were bouncing back and forth; I think since it was Easter weekend, some people might've not shown up. I'll make sure that I address these issues when I investigate for the upcoming dinner.

• MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    Oh jeez, I've heard of Dick's Last Resort. And I've heard good things about Fire & Ice. Kinda curious about that one too. But Durgin Park was definitely a nice location. And I approve of going there again.. I still have my T card and it doesn't expire until next October! Woo! :D

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
    another selling point for durgin park was that it's very classic boston, so that's nice for those from out of town. i would personally LOVE to have the dinner at a mexican place, for example, but who on earth goes to massachusetts for mexican food?

7YIpfE5.png
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    I really need to go to one of these eventually (Prime or East)...

Another reason why I want to stay around Faneuil Hall was to make sure that anyone who was going on the PokeCrawl could go to the dinner (and start off with food in their stomach so they wouldn't be too hammered).

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    I've always had conflicts, and I'm planning to enforce if schedule permits (And I get accepted. I don't see a reason I wouldn't at this time, though) so I might not be able to due to conflicts.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    I had a great time at Durgin Park. The food and service were great. If I can make it to the Pre-Pax dinner, I would be interested in going there again.

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    When is the dinner usually held?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    XX55XX wrote: »
    When is the dinner usually held?

Thursday night before the barcrawl.

• RikuDawnRikuDawn Registered User regular
    I'd really love to go to some pre-PAX events but I don't think I'll be able to because I don't have a room for Thursday night. :(

• cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    I'd love to do this again, but I'm predicting that I won't be able to be in the States soon enough. If I discover that I am available before sign-ups close, you can bet your gooses I'll be there.

• Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    Hey, any chance those on the sonic line will be able to participate in any of the pre pax events?

Who is going to PAX South?
    Hey, any chance those on the sonic line will be able to participate in any of the pre pax events?

Depends on when it gets in. You'll have to wait till the exact times for various events get posted and compare that against your expected arrival time.

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Wow, this sounds like a cool event. I definitely want in since I don't know anyone who is going to Pax.

This space for rent
  • Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I love the venue last year and recommend going there again. Although, i agree with some of the others that did not enjoy the fish.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I went last year and I thought the venue was good but it was mostly the people at the table that made it a great event. I had no problem with my food but then again I had a vegetarian pasta which can be hard to mess up.

Also, to anyone who is interested in going and is a potential [E] or current [E] it was my first year as an enforcer last year and I was able to go to the dinner. However, did not get to walk around as much as I would have liked because I had to leave early in order to get back for my meeting. However, I can only speak for those working the Main Theatre as it might be different in a different department.

jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I liked last years dinner, but was that impressed with the food offerings there. I really liked Dicks Last Resort in 2k11. So, I'd like to put that back in as a suggestion if possible. Oh, what about the Hard Rock also? I know we are limited to restaurants that can seat large groups, so I don't know about that one. Oh, again :) what about Fire and Ice. I think that was done, like the first year? That would be great, IMO. Seems to have lots of choices from meat to veggie.

Fire & Ice was the place used back in 2010 (first PAX East) and it was to be used again in 2011, however something came up and it had to be moved to Dick's last resort. IIRC it had something to do with age restrictions and alcohol, unfortunately I could not find the original post in the PAX Archives. Whatever the case is, I think this is why F&I has not been considered again since, even though a lot of people liked it.

Also...
    acumen101 wrote: »
    Another reason why I want to stay around Faneuil Hall was to make sure that anyone who was going on the PokeCrawl could go to the dinner (and start off with food in their stomach so they wouldn't be too hammered).

This. The Pokecrawl tends to start right after the PPD is over, in fact they were almost overlapping a while back, as such some efforts was put into making sure people could attend to both if they wanted to. Consider all the factors involved [Large group, large dining area, age restrictions, food restrictions (allergies, vegetarian) ease of access/commute, near the Pokecrawl, time] and you are left with only a few possible choices.

Note: I'm no Bostonian, I don't really know how many places there actually are in that area :) Not sure, but I think the Hard Rock is a bit out of Faneuil Hall's way however.

If I may, I would suggest that people wear something that identifies them (if they want to) so that we can tell who they are on the forums.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Frugus wrote: »
    If I may, I would suggest that people wear something that identifies them (if they want to) so that we can tell who they are on the forums.

Like the forum badges that will be handed out at the dinner? :)

zerzhul wrote: »

More like their forum handles :)

Hmm... It's true that the badge does have a place where you can mark down your name, but I don't remember if it also came with a lanyard and plastic sleeve to hold it. Then again the thing is huge, chances are half of it (with the name) will be hidden halfway under the table.

Just sayin'. I know I'll have something on my bag, which is kind of necessary anyway, considering how half the population seems to have a Bag of Holding. It would be easy for someone to pick it up thinking it was actually theirs.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    zerzhul wrote: »

More like their forum handles :)

Hmm... It's true that the badge does have a place where you can mark down your name, but I don't remember if it also came with a lanyard and plastic sleeve to hold it. Then again the thing is huge, chances are half of it (with the name) will be hidden halfway under the table.

Just sayin'. I know I'll have something on my bag, which is kind of necessary anyway, considering how half the population seems to have a Bag of Holding. It would be easy for someone to pick it up thinking it was actually theirs.

It comes with the plastic holder. And yeah, the intention is that you would write your forum handle on it, but you could theoretically use that space for anything.

we could always have some little "hi, my name is ________" stickers available at the door. probably more visible than the forum badge (which tends to twist and turn and, yes, would likely be hidden below table level at dinner). unless that's too cheesy. perhaps someone has a more creative idea?

7YIpfE5.png
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I went to a forum get together once and a bunch of people had their avatars printed on t-shirts. I think they went with the iron-on decal option.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png

Fire & Ice was the place used back in 2010 (first PAX East) and it was to be used again in 2011, however something came up and it had to be moved to Dick's last resort. IIRC it had something to do with age restrictions and alcohol, unfortunately I could not find the original post in the PAX Archives. Whatever the case is, I think this is why F&I has not been considered again since, even though a lot of people liked it.

In 2011, we were going to go to the Bell in Hand, not Fire & Ice, because it gave us a room to our own, but they said they could only do 21+ and not all ages; Dick's Last Resort was a last minute call, unfortunately. I jumped on this early last year so I could make sure this wouldn't happen again and that time would be thoroughly invested. Also, last year was my first year hosting it, so I'm pleased as to how it turned out.

tvethiopia wrote: »
    we could always have some little "hi, my name is ________" stickers available at the door. probably more visible than the forum badge (which tends to twist and turn and, yes, would likely be hidden below table level at dinner). unless that's too cheesy. perhaps someone has a more creative idea?

I like this idea, but I'm always open to new suggestions. Forum badges are handy during the convention, but the dinner is a much smaller shindig (yes, I just used "shindig") and our badges will most likely be obscured by the table we're eating at.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I really liked Dick's Last Resort. It was inexpensive, big, and all-ages.

It wasn't gourmet food, but you've got to expect that from that sort of venue and the point of the exercise is to hang out with other forumers. The food is secondary. As long as it doesn't kill you, it's a win. I feel like if somebody wants a 5-star michelin dining experience, then that should be a separate effort.

I felt like it met all the priorities for the PPD : It could accomodate a large crowd, it was priced affordably so it didn't exclude anyone on a budget, and it was family friendly. There were quite a few forumers there with kids as I recall, and I bet a few under-21's who came on their own. I really like the fact that the East PPD makes inclusivity a priority and doesn't shut out the underagers. Please keep doing that.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.