As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batch DWG to PDF conversion

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
Does anyone have experience or reccomendations for a program that converts DWG files to PDF? Currently, we can do this with AutoCAD, but there are thousands of DWG files needing to be done, and it would cost less to purchase a program to do batches rather than hire someone to do it.

Any ideas on this? I'm sorting through various ones online, but I don't see any reputable or big-name companies that make them.

GPIA7R on

• bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would personally use AutoIT if I couldnt find something else.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How are the drawing files set up? IE do you use just model space, 1 drawing/file or do you use paper space and have many drawings/file?

Do you want individual PDFs for each drawing or a single large PDF?

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One drawing per file, and we'd like one file per PDF, rather than a mass in one PDF

GPIA7R on
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Load them in batches into autocad then. Set PUBLISHCOLLATE=0. Select single sheet from publish. Select the page setup you want to use from the publish window. If you are using AdobePDF, you will likely have to enter a name for every PDF you make. If you are using AutoCAD's built in DWG-PDF Converter, you wont (it will save them to My Documents with names based on the DWG file name+Layout name or Model).

Thats about the only advice I can offer.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    edited October 2009
    Hmm, didn't think of that. I'll be trying that today, thank you!

GPIA7R on
  • ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What Soggybiscuit said. Assuming you have AutoCAD 2007 or newer, this functionality is built in to AutoCAD.

Get one sheet (the first one) set up with the appropriate settings in the plot page setup (Don't forget to save the setup and then the drawing). You can then import all of your drawings into a sheet set. Highlight the set, right click and select publish to dialouge. Highlight all the drawings from bottom to top (with the top sheet being the one you configured the page setup) then select the drop down arrow next to the first sheet and select the page setup you created. It should now import that page setup into all the rest of the sheets and you can hit "Publish" and walk away.

All the PDFs will be saved in the folder indicated in Tools->Options->Plot and Publish. I believe by default Soggybiscuit is correct, it will be My Documents.

Also the bit about publishcollate is important. Just type it at the command line before you publish your set. Set it to 1 if you want all the drawings in a single PDF, or 0 if you want individual PDFs for each sheet.

Chalkbot on
    edited October 2009
    I feel like I'm doing this correctly... but the Page Setup isn't staying. I go to the Plot Dialogue, and the drop down doesn't contain the new "batchplot" setup that I created.

GPIA7R on
  • ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    After you create it, you need to do one of two things; Either check the box that says "Save changes to layout" and then hit "OK" to plot it, or click the "Apply to layout" button after you've created your page setup. Then it will be saved in the plot dialogue. I recommend saving your drawing after that as well.

Chalkbot on
  • DarkAce911DarkAce911 Registered User new member
    We use Trix Raster Server at work to tie into our print emailing system. It works pretty good.

This discussion has been closed.