As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bullying

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    Goatmon you ain't that big.

Compared to what?

Your average dude. I've seen you dancin on tinychat and your YouTube response videos and I never really thought, 'goddamn, that's one tubby motherfucker'

You'd be what, 240lbs?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Last I checked, I was about 314.

I don't usually show myself shirtless, below the shoulders, on camera.

I haven't been 240 since, shit, before I finished high school.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Heh, I would be honestly impressed if you actually could remove me from the ground, momentarily.

Challenge accepted! I've carried multiple people at once dude, I could get your feet of the ground for sure.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Last I checked, I was about 314.

I don't usually show myself shirtless, below the shoulders, on camera.

I haven't been 240 since, shit, before I finished high school.

143kgs? I can pick you up. C'mere and gimme a hug!

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bullying has escalated in the last twenty years. Bullies today are sadistic monsters in ways we can't really comprehend until kids start killing themselves.
    So why would a kid risk that ? They know that turning in a bully shifts the target.
    From their point of view its just not worth the risk.

I strongly disagree with this. The only thing that's really changed is the tools kids can use to bully. But if you don't think kids got the tar kicked out of them on the regular for being different 50 years ago, I just don't know what to say. The main thing that's changed is the addition of social websites allowing bullies to harangue a target at any time of day but the flip side is that it also opens up new opportunities for the targets to find help and raise awareness.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Bullying has escalated in the last twenty years. Bullies today are sadistic monsters in ways we can't really comprehend until kids start killing themselves.
    So why would a kid risk that ? They know that turning in a bully shifts the target.

I strongly disagree with this. The only thing that's really changed is the tools kids can use to bully. But if you don't think kids got the tar kicked out of them on the regular for being different 50 years ago, I just don't know what to say. The main thing that's changed is the addition of social websites allowing bullies to harangue a target at any time of day but the flip side is that it also opens up new opportunities for the targets to find help and raise awareness.

Also, non whites and women have kinda got the shit kicked out of them for awhile.

And 50 years ago, bullying was just accepted as the price of not fitting in. Oh, you're getting the shit kicked out of you because you're the new kid? Or because you're fat? Well punch them back you sissy, or stop being so damn fat. It was a very different social landscape back then.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

As our resident historian, or at least the participant in history, I more inclined to believe dru.

But as you said, Facebook, and the Internet allows kids to be bullied in the middle if the night by themselves.

That's a pretty big difference.

Blake T wrote: »

As our resident historian, or at least the participant in history, I more inclined to believe dru.

But as you said, Facebook, and the Internet allows kids to be bullied in the middle if the night by themselves.

That's a pretty big difference.

But it also empowers some of those targets to reach out and find help through avenues that wouldn't have been available 20 years ago. Or to expose their tormentors and raise awareness. This has been a major component of the heightened awareness of bullying and the increasing intolerance of it.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's true. but it doesn't encourage the kids to seek help though, which is the difference.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Bullying is no worse than it was ten, twenty, fifty years ago

in fact, if bullying follows similar trends to a lot of other socially negative stuff (like crime) then it has possibly even decreased

the difference is that we are far more aware of it now because of many reasons. One is the growth of the information age where people just plain have access to more information and news than ever before in the history of mankind. Another is, like Druhim said, that the social landscape and the way bullying is viewed has also shifted hugely in recent years.

Regardless though, huge amounts of bullying is never caught or brought up or whatever, and it never was. There are no reliable numbers about the consistency and frequency of bullying amongst children so no-one could say with any degree of certainty that it has gone up. It wouldn't surprise me if reported cases have gone up, but actual bullying may be more, may be less, may be exactly the same.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, consider bullying from the perspective of someone who is not white, or not male.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Having never really been bullied I hesitate to judge people who have been really affected by bullying, but my basic feeling is that at some point you need to get over it, or at the very least try to deal it somehow

But I dunno if you wanna be bitter about middle school and let it ruin your life then more power to you

Bullying just kinda getting a pass from teachers and other students is super shitty and I applaud any effort made to crack down on that sort of thing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The media seems to imply that things like Swirly's and just plain beating the shit out of people was normal and expected. So I have a hard time thinking bullying in getting worse.

In fact it sounds like older kids beating the shit out of younger kids used to be a institution? The whole treating freshmen like crap just for being freshmen thing. That doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Quire.jpg
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I made a post some time ago in a D&D thread about how I used to be a bully in junior high but then had this realization that I was being a worthless shitheel, I will dig it up when I have some more time.

What I didn’t mention in that thread, however, was the positive action that came out of it.

I was captain of the improv team in my HS and was very buddy buddy with the Drama teacher, so she let me have the spare keys to the drama room for after school improv team rehearsals and whatnot.

I would also use the drama room as a place for people to eat lunch who didn’t feel like eating in the cafeteria. The only rules were you had to clean up after yourself, and if you acted like an asshat, you were out.

This naturally led to it being a place for a lot of kids who were picked on to come and eat their lunch without being hassled, and to still be social and have a good time. I made some of my best friends this way. I didn’t think much of it at the time, I just wanted to help some people out and make some friends.

When it came time for graduation I actually got a thank you and a handshake from the Principal who said that they were going to keep doing the ‘lunch in the drama room’ thing as it was one of the better ‘anti-bullying’ initiatives taken on by a student. It felt pretty great, and apparently is still happening.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    That's really cool, tasteticle!

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    That's awesome, Tasteticle

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Shut it down.

Shut everything down.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So the junior high I work at is pretty strong on the anti-bullying agenda.

One of the things they have the majority of students do is before they finish their three-year stint at the school they have to serve as a peer couch in one of the special education classes for a semester.

Tends to humble them on up.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Oh godammit

catching up on the thread now

Damn, @Goatmon, all the hugs

You have got some massive cojones standing up to your father like that, and the fact that you did not turn out to be a shitty person speaks volumes about your character

edited October 2012
    Zonugal wrote: »
    One of the things they have the majority of students do is before they finish their three-year stint at the school they have to serve as a peer couch in one of the special education classes for a semester.

Man, schools are doing crazy shit these days.

Goatmon on

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm really lucky that I was never really bullied too much.

Well I guess I was, kind off? There was a period where I was in high school where not only was I fairly insufferable in my nerdery (I was really goddamn obsessed with Fallout and Morrowind), but also I had admitted to a girl that I liked her but didn't do anything beyond that (and this was a girl I had barely ever spoken to - to her credit she was really nice about it!). As a result a bunch of my friends shied away from me.

One dude was a total shitbag to me, though. This was a guy who I considered my friend, though in retrospect I really wonder why I did. When it came about that another of my friends liked the same girl I did he would make up stuff about them getting together and tell me to make me upset, and then he would print out the AIM logs and show everyone at school.

Oh, high school.

@Goatmon, you endured some straight up horrible shit and I'm proud of you man. I don't know if I could have dealt with that crap as well as you have. <3

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, good on you for getting through that stuff, @Goatmon.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Also, consider bullying from the perspective of someone who is not white, or not male.

Uh, or heterosexual?
    Turns out there's plenty of bullshit you can throw at a white male who happens to be gay.

But yes, there's tons of bullshit across the map.

nevillexmassig1.png
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Having never really been bullied I hesitate to judge people who have been really affected by bullying, but my basic feeling is that at some point you need to get over it, or at the very least try to deal it somehow

But I dunno if you wanna be bitter about middle school and let it ruin your life then more power to you

Bullying just kinda getting a pass from teachers and other students is super shitty and I applaud any effort made to crack down on that sort of thing

This is not how this works. At all.

If you're a 14 year old kid who knows he is gay, KNOWS IT, and everyone picks on you for it, then how the hell is that on the kid?
    There's no way that is a kid's responsibility if his parents, family, school, etc are all saying "Gays are evil" etc... which is exactly the message sent in a lot of places.
    And since I grew up in rural South Carolina, I'm speaking from experience.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »

I posted this on my facebook wall and this guy was like " so why not just respect both groups and don't pair them up together?"

I should mention that this guy refuses to acknowledge marriage between homosexuals. He refers to it as faggage

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    Faggage? That's not even creative

What about fairyage

I think he means when you're an adult who's past the bullying looking back on it. I'm pretty certain he doesn't mean you should just "deal with it" when you're a kid being bullied. We were talking earlier in the thread about the harm it can do to oneself to hang on to that anger and resentment for decades, and I assume that's what he means.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    know what some bullies become? bullies with badges. the worst kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7rWtDMPaRD8

young black dude recorded a stop-and-frisk on his ipod. the cops recorded are just near-cartoonish in their douchiness.

I think the point kwoaru's making is that in later life, people have to release the bitterness that they have for being victimised and bastardised when they were younger. Of course, that's much easier said than done and I feel like Kwoaru did try and stress that

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited October 2012
    @Goatmon, you endured some straight up horrible shit and I'm proud of you man. I don't know if I could have dealt with that crap as well as you have. <3

That means a lot, coming from you, Dru.

Thanks, man.

Goatmon on

Tef wrote: »
    I think the point kwoaru's making is that in later life, people have to release the bitterness that they have for being victimised and bastardised when they were younger. Of course, that's much easier said than done and I feel like Kwoaru did try and stress that

Earlier in life they call it bullying.

What would you call the GOP's hatred/campaign for the "traditional family"? I'd call it bullying.
    They just wrap it up in baloney rationalization, but the core is the same; "You're different and I don't like you for it."

nevillexmassig1.png
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »

I posted this on my facebook wall and this guy was like " so why not just respect both groups and don't pair them up together?"

I should mention that this guy refuses to acknowledge marriage between homosexuals. He refers to it as faggage

run up to him and kick him in the nardledangers

reposig.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't remember ever being bullied.

One time a kid I was in middle school with said everyone was afraid of me?

That was weird.

I made friends easily enough but was so terrified to even be in a classroom.

Just smack bang right in the beanbags

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I got bullied enough for my mom to pull me out of school for a year.

This is the story of how I became a homeschooled boy.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My brother really should have been home schooled or tutored I think since he got really really bullied in school to the point they once jumped him in a parking lot walking home.

But we were poor and my mom had to work and take care of our step dad who had MS.

Me? I dunno maybe seeing what happened to my brother affected me more than I thought, I think that might be one of the reasons I was scared of school even though I had far less trouble.