As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Simcity] Where discussion of water pollution and power grids is normal.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I do have to say that everything about the UI and the presentation of this game is completely awesome and wonderful to look at.
    Like, just seeing it makes me want to play with it, even if the actual game might not be what I want it to be.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The scale definitely appears smaller but the simulation also looks to be much better than previous sim games. I'm looking forward to this even if I can't build enormous cities.

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    The preview itself on Oct 9th was really disappointing. Replay of the gameplay video from the week before, and all questions but 1 dealt with information we already knew. Were like 2 small things to glean out of a bit more gameplay when they followed up with some live gameplay of the same city from the video.

The real winner actually, was the Live thread on the FORUM -- 2 of the Maxis devs were on there answering questions for the past two days, and we got infinitely more new information from them that way.

The Live Broadcast was pretty much a PR Red Herring to get The Sims3 players to look at Simcity and try to leverage them into buying into it. Not surprising since Simcity 2013 seems aimed in large part at that casual facebook crowd...

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    What kind of new information was gained from the forum? Can you link this thread by any chance?

Edit: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9034498.page

Edit2: Also, someone in the SimCity forums just pointed something out: You know that Dev playtest on page 7? Yeah, know what wasn't in that video that we all missed? Zone Densities. It wasn't "Dense Residential" or "Light Industrial"... it was "Residential".

KiTA on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I am just awful at this game. Been playing it all day and my cities are just a mess.

Also you guys are a bunch of babies. It's really fun.

• BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I am just awful at this game. Been playing it all day and my cities are just a mess.

What?

• wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Behumat wrote: »
    wakkawa wrote: »

What?

Alpha!

I doubt I can say anything else other than yay its fun!

wakkawa on
    Oh, cool beans. Yea, I hear a lot of whining and dick beating over on the maxis forums, but personally I'm really looking forward to this game. I hope I get in the beta.

• SichoSicho Wellenstein, Luxembourg, EuropeRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for this game. I love the genre and I love the series since the SNES version ... I even got some fun out of SC Societies and the SC Facebook Game :p I do see why a lot of people have concerns but I'll wait with the judgement until I finally play the game. Recently, I find myself to have a lot of fun with games that aren't very popular (DNF, Mafia 2 or Dragon Age 2 for example) while some very popular games bore me to death (Assassin's Creed ...). Therefore the only opinion I can rely to is my own :D

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
  • Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    SimCity looks like it might be fun, but I don't understand why they didn't just call it something else. "Sims Nation", maybe?

Absurdity Matrix on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    So yesterday I got to play some Sim City, I didn't know people disliked it so much, it seemed fun enough to me. My favorite was the E.A. representative carrying out all the alpha-DVDs to sell them on ebay for big bucks.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • sedasisedasi Registered User regular
    I had so much fun playing Simcity 4. I'm so looking forward to this.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    New trailer is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ig6E2460V0

Yeah.. the big city that was featured seems... well, the curvy roads just don't seem to fit my image of any major city except Boston and its cowpaths.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    That Earthquake effect was...kind of lame...Meteorite looked nice at least.

The whole "small cities with lots of empty space" are kind of jarring still.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I'm certainly hoping this launches with more than 4 disasters.

The town sizes are starting to grow on me, but every time I see the damned perspective trick they're using it ruffles my feathers.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The city size is growing on me. The problem with really big cities, at least in my experience, was that they became too homogenous and dull looking, whereas these look varied and nice to look at.

The earthquake disaster is also looking alpha-ey. Maybe it will change?

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I guess because my point-of-entry into city-building games was the Impressions series (Zeus, Pharaoh, Caesar, Emperor) I am looking forward to this more than most. I like seeing the hustle and bustle of my city down to its individual citizens because it ends up adding some personality to it (I really liked the citizens of Tropico 3).

I especially liked two of the things the Impressions games did. First, they gave a visual representation of your resources, and two, they gave a visual representation of your industry buildings working. Those two features often worked together to help me determine whether I could shut down buildings without looking at a table or graph as I could easily see which goods I had an excess of and which I was running low on.

Of course, I can see why people want to keep abstraction, as it is hard to visually simulate high-level/very minute levels of detail. These types of games also tend to take some control away from the player I think.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Man, this thread is super disappointing to me. Not because the game looks bad or something: I have actually been REALLY looking forward to all of the changes I've seen so far. But, because it makes me feel like there's something wrong with me for being excited.

For instance, I'm looking forward to the more social changes because, well, that's what cities are about: societies. Or, at least, that's how I see it. What always made me bored in other SimCity games was this feeling like I was just dicking around. The Sims did it to me, too. It was like there was no point to playing without opening the console, turning off disasters, giving yourself infinite resources, and just going hog-wild, building your dream city. I can see how some people would like that, but it always made my cities feel like they had no purpose, and purpose is important to me when I play things.

If I need other city's resources to survive, and they in turn need mine, there's that purpose I was asking for. Now, my city has a reason to exist, and I have a reason to maintain it (and a reason not to cheat, so that I don't mess up anyone else's experience). Not to mention, that constraint seems like an interesting thing; sometimes, constraints are meaningful, and I like the thought of this one (although I guess we'll see if the implementation holds up).

I don't know, though; maybe I'm just crazy and have been playing SimCity games wrong for over a decade? I kind of feel like that, reading this thread; like if I like this game, there's something wrong with me. :P

JackKieser on

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Don't let the negative nancies get to you. It seems like a combination of people jumping to conclusions from incomplete information and overreactions over changes made to the old Sim City formula has made for some very harsh opinions in this thread.

I am firmly in the cautiously optimistic camp. I will be waiting for reviews, but I can see this game being just the kind of city building experience I want. If nothing else, the replayability implied by the different ways you can focus your city is really appealing to me.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    JackKieser wrote: »
    Man, this thread is super disappointing to me. Not because the game looks bad or something: I have actually been REALLY looking forward to all of the changes I've seen so far. But, because it makes me feel like there's something wrong with me for being excited.

For instance, I'm looking forward to the more social changes because, well, that's what cities are about: societies. Or, at least, that's how I see it. What always made me bored in other SimCity games was this feeling like I was just dicking around. The Sims did it to me, too. It was like there was no point to playing without opening the console, turning off disasters, giving yourself infinite resources, and just going hog-wild, building your dream city. I can see how some people would like that, but it always made my cities feel like they had no purpose, and purpose is important to me when I play things.

If I need other city's resources to survive, and they in turn need mine, there's that purpose I was asking for. Now, my city has a reason to exist, and I have a reason to maintain it (and a reason not to cheat, so that I don't mess up anyone else's experience). Not to mention, that constraint seems like an interesting thing; sometimes, constraints are meaningful, and I like the thought of this one (although I guess we'll see if the implementation holds up).

I don't know, though; maybe I'm just crazy and have been playing SimCity games wrong for over a decade? I kind of feel like that, reading this thread; like if I like this game, there's something wrong with me. :P

No, you're just posting in G&T. Simcity is definitely getting a massive overhaul but I'm not convinced its going to be worse. It will, however, be fundamentally different. Which is why they are not calling it Simcity 5.

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

DLC Pack, for sure.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular

You're not the only one who is excited. I'm definitely looking forward to this, whether it's SimCity4 v2 or not. But yeah, for the past few pages, this thread has been super negative, I'll give you that.

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I'm kind of digging the space in between buildings and zones. SC4 practically forced you to jam as many zones close together to the get the ultimate "output" from each zone. Zoning efficiency was such a big deal that doing anything else, like creating open spaces and pleasing looking towns, was an aberration.

There's a moment in that last video where they show a town with circular roads sprawling out from a town center. I've tried to do something similar in SC4, and it never took off because the zoning was too sparse to pay for the expense of the layout. To me that just means the game is flawed. Maybe the name should have been SimZoningSquares. I'm looking forward to curved roads and organic-looking neighborhoods.

• ShoemakerShoemaker Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

DLC Pack, for sure.

Ever wanted to fight aliens in a post apocalyptic hellscape city of your own design? You can for only $9.99.
    "Post Apocalyptic Tile Set", "Untold Nuclear Disaster(TM)", and "Aliens!" DLCs sold separately.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Pretty much the only thing I liked about Cities XL. Curved roads all around, beautiful suburbs, modern commercial centers, coastal roads.

El Guaco wrote: »
    I'm kind of digging the space in between buildings and zones. SC4 practically forced you to jam as many zones close together to the get the ultimate "output" from each zone. Zoning efficiency was such a big deal that doing anything else, like creating open spaces and pleasing looking towns, was an aberration.

There's a moment in that last video where they show a town with circular roads sprawling out from a town center. I've tried to do something similar in SC4, and it never took off because the zoning was too sparse to pay for the expense of the layout. To me that just means the game is flawed. Maybe the name should have been SimZoningSquares. I'm looking forward to curved roads and organic-looking neighborhoods.

It'd make a great SimTown/SimSuburb.

A city? Well, I guess in the sense that Athens, Georgia is a "city."

• POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    ...?

The point was to build the best city you could, starting from very little. Proper management and sensible growth was where the challenge and, for me, the fun was. You could play through an RTS campaign using cheats to throw nukes at everything you come across from the tutorial onward, but that doesn't sound appealing to me either for essentially the same reasons.
    Honestly, yes, if you were doing nothing but cheating to make whatever you wanted as soon as possible because you didn't like having to plan things out, you were playing them wrong. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with you, it just means that you were treating the software as a bucket of Legos rather than as a game.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread when I talked about how it would be nice to have more spread out cities, nodes of development connected by lower-density areas--the way some American cities developed after the car became a widespread item. Unfortunately the map sizes look like they're going to keep that from happening.

Applied for the beta to give it a spin, hoping to be surprised. Nothing to lose by trying it. :/

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Maybe they just see Urban Sprawl for the terror that it is and want cities to build up, instead of out... There's a lesson to be learned here!

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    edited October 2012
    Maybe they just see Urban Sprawl for the terror that it is and want cities to build up, instead of out... There's a lesson to be learned here!

And by "up" we mean "outwards, but in a checkboard pattern."

I'm in the beta as well (registered a while back), but don't expect to "strike out."

Synthesis on
    I'm curious how people in the Beta would rate the game so far, bearing in mind there's still a good five months or so of development left. Enjoyable? Needs work?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Looking at the demo videos and such, it seems like the region/city distinction is literally a single click on a widget that zooms you in/out as necessary. With that kind of ability to wander around nearly instantly, I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't be thinking more of the entire region being our "city" and the individual city tiles being suburbs and components of a greater whole.
    Need more detail on what a region really is of course, but I think that's the approach they're going for.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Has this been posted yet?

http://youtu.be/aluNM_2G-cc

It seems like the cities are plenty dense to me.

Also, Ocean Quigley is an awesome name. Between that and the mustache he could be a 19th Century comic book hero.

Well, this is definitely new. It does change my perspective on the new Sim City quite a bit. And it makes it clear that playing with other people in the same region is completely optional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzouhrHCpM

edited December 2012
    @Sarksus, in regards to your concern that large cities are too homogeneous looking...if that video is any indication, don't worry, small cities will look homogeneous as hell, heh.

It's clear they're putting some thought into encouraging the region mechanic (no surprise there), but the weird empty gaps in cities are still CitiesXL jarring. The 'Great Works' option is...interesting.

Synthesis on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Metropolis Expansion pack.

Available first-day for $10.

Boom, I just figured out what they're up to.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    Municipal Wards DLC. Turns tiny regions into decently sized wards.

Mind = blown.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Well, this is definitely new. It does change my perspective on the new Sim City quite a bit. And it makes it clear that playing with other people in the same region is completely optional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzouhrHCpM

Hurrah for making it clear that we don't need multiplayer. Although, now we have to hope that the game ships with a few 'countries' already in existance, I always liked building small towns and imagining the people were heading off to the big city for all the things my town didn't have. I hope the game can lean a bit more towards allowing different 'types' of town to be built.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    So apparently the closed beta weekend of this game has begun.

Just got an invite!

Will report back on awesomeness.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • ShoemakerShoemaker Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    So apparently the closed beta weekend of this game has begun.

Just got an invite!

Will report back on awesomeness.

I loathe you and your luck!

But I eagerly await your opinion!

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I got an invite earlier too.
    It's.. Well.. A bunch of things are missing from the beta.
    Like hospitals. And schools above the grade school.
    And it runs kinda.. Funky.

Rizzi on
This discussion has been closed.