As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bullying

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Yeah it is stressful, I feel like I am often somehow pissing off other drivers or fucking up somehow, I don't like it but gotta do it

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    That's nuts. Here you have to have a mandatory number of lessons with a driving instructor (10 or so, but they say to expect ~20), then take your theory, then the practical, the wet practical and the winter practical (which is why it's a year long process. Got to wait for the snow to start falling!).

Plus it costs and arm and a leg. $100 a lesson, then each exam is a small fortune. I've heard that the average person here spends about $5300 on their driver's licence.

I'll be 30 in November, and I've had a few lessons but hated it. Only in the past few months have I given serious thought to learning how to drive.

Legba on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    That's nuts. Here you have to have a mandatory number of lessons with a driving instructor (10 or so, but they say to expect ~20), then take your theory, then the practical, the wet practical and the winter practical (which is why it's a year long process. Got to wait for the snow to start falling!).

Plus it costs and arm and a leg. $100 a lesson, then each exam is a small fortune. I've heard that the average person here spends about $5300 on their driver's licence.

I'll be 30 in November, and I've had a few lessons but hated it. Only in the past few months have I given serious thought to learning how to drive.

Over here (Germany) it is not quite as extensive, but more extensive than in the US. You have theory, theory exam, mandatory driving lessons (20-30) and then the exam. But you only do once practical exam. I had it right before christmas and it had snowed the night before. Wasn't fun, since I had to drive over some not cleared back roads.

Anyways - I think today (did mine in 1995) it is about $2000 or thereabouts all in all.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I learned to drive on endless perfectly straight roads where you could go an hour and not meet another vehicle

now, with no additional training, I am wandering the streets of a major city in my aging one-ton metal death machine

I did have to get my emissions tested though

fuckin

fascists

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    When I took driver's ed back in high school (I live in the US, in Michigan, this was about 7 years ago) I had to attend classes after school and on weekends for like 2 weeks. Those classes were about an hour long, then we had like an hour of driving after each session, and we had to be a passenger while another student drove. At the end of these two weeks we had to take a written test and score higher than like 75 percent to get a temporary driving permit.

After the two weeks of classes we had to log 60 hours of drive time with our parents/guardians, with 10 of those hours being at night while on our permit. Then we went back and took like 3 more hour long classes at the high school. After that we were allowed to apply for a full license assuming we could pass a driving test.

The test I took consisted of driving around town, with no interstate driving at all. Lasted like 15 minutes. I got a single verbal warning for doing 4mph over the limit in a school zone, but that was definitely not enough to keep me from passing.

I hated driving while learning, especially after almost merging into someone on the interstate (he didn't honk his horn of anything though, he was basically just going to let it happen.) I love driving now, though.

Oh, and the whole thing cost me like $350 for the classes and like $15 for my license.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    After traveling around America, I totally get the need for a car. You just can't get anywhere without one. If I were to move there I'd definitely get a driver's licence.

I mused on the idea of taking driving lessons in the States because they're so much cheaper there, but was told that there wasn't much point since you basically walk in to the school, get your driver's licence printed out and head back out. Meanwhile here it's like a year-long process.

Basically, America has a reputation for being really lax on their minimum standards for drivers, is what I'm saying.

Nah I think you still need some instruction, but if you have a friend who can spare an hour or two you can get a lot of stuff down pretty quickly.

• Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Last night somebody in my local area struck a 650lb black bear with their car. The report stated that the driver hit the smaller of the two animals in the road.

So the sow died and the car was totaled, and the bigger boar just ran off. I understand that them not being 1000x more venomous then necessary to kill a person doesn't scare you, but for us it's a big deal.

Also the thought of giant venomous bears scares the shit out of me.

Giant.

Venomous.

Bears!

You've given my life new meaning. This must happen.

I need to find a way for cobras and bears to get the sexytimes going for the world to see my magnificent Cobear (Cobrear? bearbra?....naah)

i'm guessing alcohol will make things happen once they're all wasted enough to be wearing bear goggles.

• GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Was it a bear or a boar?

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    the fabled bearboar

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    urswine

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Given the opportunity, a whitetail deer will murder you

that is not hyperbole, that is cold hard fact

Deer are spiteful assholes, perfectly capable of killing a full-grown man

everyone who hasn't interacted with them always ohh an ahhs over how wonderful and innocent they are

fuck that

easysig2.jpg
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    All this driving talk just reminds me that in the second week of november by dad gets to borrow another Camaro SS for the weekend.

That should be fun in the snow

icGJy2C.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Last night somebody in my local area struck a 650lb black bear with their car. The report stated that the driver hit the smaller of the two animals in the road.

So the sow died and the car was totaled, and the bigger boar just ran off. I understand that them not being 1000x more venomous then necessary to kill a person doesn't scare you, but for us it's a big deal.

Also the thought of giant venomous bears scares the shit out of me.
    Giant.
    Venomous.
    Bears!
    You've given my life new meaning. This must happen.
    I need to find a way for cobras and bears to get the sexytimes going for the world to see my magnificent Cobear (Cobrear? bearbra?....naah)
    i'm guessing alcohol will make things happen once they're all wasted enough to be wearing bear goggles.
    Somewhere, this is sitting in a file labeled "Unused GI Joe plots".

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Stale wrote: »

everyone who hasn't interacted with them always ohh an ahhs over how wonderful and innocent they are

fuck that

Not to mention that deer are a menace to vegetable gardens.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    When I took driver's ed back in high school (I live in the US, in Michigan, this was about 7 years ago) I had to attend classes after school and on weekends for like 2 weeks. Those classes were about an hour long, then we had like an hour of driving after each session, and we had to be a passenger while another student drove. At the end of these two weeks we had to take a written test and score higher than like 75 percent to get a temporary driving permit.

After the two weeks of classes we had to log 60 hours of drive time with our parents/guardians, with 10 of those hours being at night while on our permit. Then we went back and took like 3 more hour long classes at the high school. After that we were allowed to apply for a full license assuming we could pass a driving test.

The test I took consisted of driving around town, with no interstate driving at all. Lasted like 15 minutes. I got a single verbal warning for doing 4mph over the limit in a school zone, but that was definitely not enough to keep me from passing.

I hated driving while learning, especially after almost merging into someone on the interstate (he didn't honk his horn of anything though, he was basically just going to let it happen.) I love driving now, though.

most people at my detroit suburb high school just had their parents sign off on their hours since there really isn't any sort of verification

might explain why a lot of them are so crap

also the fella i got paired up with for the lessons learned from his dad, who drove with both feet and as a result frequently blew out the transmission every time he had to make an emergency stop

• Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Somewhere, this is sitting in a file labeled "Unused GI Joe plots".

True, originally there was a character called the Bearoness.

fuck that

n-nnno not bambi you monster.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

fuck that

So are vegans! But at least vegans can't hurt you! Poor things can barely lift their own arms above their heads...

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

fuck that

So are vegans! But at least vegans can't hurt you! Poor things can barely lift their own arms above their heads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    they're doing some maintenance work either upstairs or next door

it sounds like they are in the walls

is it

a ghost

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Did the temperature drop sharply? That's what Supernatural has taught me.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i remember walking home from the shops with a carton of eggs because i was baking some cakes for a friend

i must have been around 14 or so

a car pulled up next to me full of mid-20s lads

they start asking me for directions and as i'm explaining, one of them get a plastic squeegy bottle of ketchup and sprays me yelling 'HAHAHAH 'AVE IT YA LITTLE CUNT'

the car is full of laughing grown ass men, crowing how they've totally made this little twat look stupid! haha!

meanwhile i take a few eggs out, step back and throw them full force inside the car

i got chased home

police were called

ChavTales (a woo woo)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    they're doing some maintenance work either upstairs or next door

it sounds like they are in the walls

is it

a ghost

I'll get the EVP recorder and some feeble minded hippies and we'll investigate this thing right.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    It is my dream to get a job in the city so I no longer have to use a car.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    Squall wrote: »

most people at my detroit suburb high school just had their parents sign off on their hours since there really isn't any sort of verification

might explain why a lot of them are so crap

also the fella i got paired up with for the lessons learned from his dad, who drove with both feet and as a result frequently blew out the transmission every time he had to make an emergency stop

Yeah, my parents didn't log 60 hours with me, they signed off on about half of those max. I still learned to be a decent driver. It also helps that I have a "don't be an asshole" mentality about life. Also, I care about cars so I learned a lot on my own through exploration both on the road and through reading stuff online, watching car-related shows and races and stuff.

It's like, why do some people wait to merge into a single lane until the last minute when there is a lane closure? It just fucks up everyone's day and slows the whole process down.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Why do people merging onto the freeway decide to merge at the slowest possible speed? Goddamn that pisses me off.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

fuck that

there are big ol' warning signs in Yosemite that warn tourists about the perils of deer mating season

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Why do people merging onto the freeway decide to merge at the slowest possible speed? Goddamn that pisses me off.

Yeah, even if you are coming off of a tight, 25mph on ramp you should be up to near highway speed by the time you get half way down the merging lane.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

fuck that

speaking of which, two of my cousin's fig trees just got mangled by a deer that tried to fuck them

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yeah, even if you are coming off of a tight, 25mph on ramp you should be up to near highway speed by the time you get half way down the merging lane.

I always found it worse when they merged in at the same speed as the flow, then decided "oh hey I better drop down by about 15"-- that shit got on my nerves like nothing else.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    driving sucks and is expensive and stressful

no yes and no in that order and i say this as a dude who grew up learning to drive in central new york weather

i can spin out in the middle of a fairly busy road, not get hit, and calmly drive away, because that shit happens all the fucking time on that road and everyone expects it

shit's like driving on fuckin' glass in the winter

edited October 2012
    After traveling around America, I totally get the need for a car. You just can't get anywhere without one. If I were to move there I'd definitely get a driver's licence.

I mused on the idea of taking driving lessons in the States because they're so much cheaper there, but was told that there wasn't much point since you basically walk in to the school, get your driver's licence printed out and head back out. Meanwhile here it's like a year-long process.

Basically, America has a reputation for being really lax on their minimum standards for drivers, is what I'm saying.

Nah I think you still need some instruction, but if you have a friend who can spare an hour or two you can get a lot of stuff down pretty quickly.

it all depends

in new york you have Options

you can have your parents sign off on you having 20 hours of driving time and get a super restricted license

you can do that, and then take driver's ed, and get a slightly less restricted license when you're 16, and then when you're 17 you get the regular one

you can take driver's ed and get it at 17

or you can just wait, and get it at 18

i just did driver's ed, but i grew up driving farm equipment from the time i was literally five years old and i started driving the pick-ups when i was 12 so it wasn't like the mechanics part was totally foreign to me, it was just the learning to do it around other people in cards part

Buttlord on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Sign off hours are a great idea.

But realistically, 60 hours would be goddamn painful. That number is high enough that the majority of the hours people would log would be fake.

Buttlord wrote: »

no yes and no in that order and i say this as a dude who grew up learning to drive in central new york weather

i can spin out in the middle of a fairly busy road, not get hit, and calmly drive away, because that shit happens all the fucking time on that road and everyone expects it

Last winter I got stuck in a shallow ditch in my Fiero during a snowstorm. I just turned the wheel to full opposite lock and basically powerslid until I hit someone's driveway and hopped out of the ditch. Drove off because it ain't no thing.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    driving owns when you have a good cd in your car

driving without music is like anal with no lube

lfYVHTd.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i love my ipod

just let it play on shuffle

on a low volume so i pay attention to the road/other drivers/pedestrians but i love driving with music

Buttlord wrote: »

Last winter I got stuck in a shallow ditch in my Fiero during a snowstorm. I just turned the wheel to full opposite lock and basically powerslid until I hit someone's driveway and hopped out of the ditch. Drove off because it ain't no thing.

i only ever get stuck head first but that's why i live in a blue collar neighborhood where everyone and their brother has tow ropes and a truck

i just call someone and get a quick yank
    driving owns when you have a good cd in your car

driving without music is like anal with no lube

alternately a 3.5mm jack and an ipod

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    My car doesn't have an aux port and I'm too cheap to buy an adapter

lfYVHTd.png
    My tape deck broke so I only have the radio. I miss being able to jam to my own tunes. I really just need to buy another car.