As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bullying

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Driving is great and I am apparently some sort of mutant for just listening to the radio while I drive

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    oh i do like npr

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I love driving.

I hate having the responsibility of having a car. Shit goes wrong at the most inconvenient time.

Luckily public transport is good enough where I live to pick up the slack.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    To get back to the point of this thread, I have come to realize through all of your stories that I was extremely fortunate while growing up in regards to bullying. I have been overweight pretty much my entire school career, although I am lucky in that my frame is naturally large and thus my weight appears slightly less than it is on paper. Kids would pick on me for being overweight sometimes, but I was never physically bullied or anything.

The worst of my "bullying" came after an 8th grade trip to Tremont, TN and the Great Smoky Mountains national park. We were on a day long hike through the mountains and it was pretty rough going for me by the end. I was hanging back with the older teachers, way behind the pack of healthy 8th graders. At the end of the trail they had bathrooms and such, and of course I had to go. My legs locked up with cramps while I was on the toilet and it took me like 20 to 30 minutes to get them rubbed out to where I could walk out of the bathroom. Our trail guide asked "Everything alright, I worried you were pulling an Elvis!"

And for the rest of the 8th grade I was called Elvis on a regular basis. Looking back, it feels more like friendly kidding, but back then it felt pretty terrible every time someone brought it up.

Oh, and one unrelated time, a friend of mine started to poke fun at me for something relating to my weight, I can't remember what it was exactly. We were at recess and we were sitting on a bike rack. I got fed up with what he was saying and pushed him. He lost his balance and fell backwards, striking the back of his head against the metal piping at the bottom of the rack. I ended up giving him a concussion, but I wasn't really punished for it because my friend said it was an accident.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I can not fathom a life where I don't have a car

I went 4 months without a vehicle in 2010, and even though I lived a block from my office, and a block from a mall, and a block from a grocery store, I was ready to start throwing shit at the walls and writing in my own blood. It drove me crazy I couldn't just get in the car and go somewhere, anywhere.

easysig2.jpg
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »

I went 4 months without a vehicle in 2010, and even though I lived a block from my office, and a block from a mall, and a block from a grocery store, I was ready to start throwing shit at the walls and writing in my own blood. It drove me crazy I couldn't just get in the car and go somewhere, anywhere.

That's funny, because in 2010 I stole all four wheels off a car and had a great time after I pawned them.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I have never had a car and I am.. many decades old. Hell, I've never even had a driver's license.

Bikes and buses for the win.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »

That's funny, because in 2010 I stole all four wheels off a car and had a great time after I pawned them.
    This is getting weird.

I ran into a flatbed truck with a car on it with no wheels in 2010.

I think. I forget, I was on the phone.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

This is getting weird.

I ran into a flatbed truck with a car on it with no wheels in 2010.

I think. I forget, I was on the phone.
    Okay, which one of you bastards slipped the Omnipossum into Stale's yard?

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    Legba wrote: »
    Fanyien wrote: »
    i listen to The History of Rome whenever i have to drive anywhere

^5. Me and the tour manager of the play I'm working on at the moment have started listening to The History Of Philosophy during our morning drive.

is that mike duncan too? he's just the perfect podcast person

reposig.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I have never had a car and I am.. many decades old. Hell, I've never even had a driver's license.

Bikes and buses for the win.

I didn't pass my driving test until I was 22.

I didn't realize how useful it was to have this skill until I had it.

I do agree, if you can get away with not owning a car go for it. But the skill is invaluable in case of an emergency.

Guys, since this has become the car thread (which I should restart) I want to ask, what car would you buy for $25k or less? (new or used)

I need to buy a new car, but there are lots of good options and even though I have tested a lot of them and compared them I am still up in the air.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    I was called a white cunt the other day because I wouldn't give a lady money.

Give Viv her allowance man, geez

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Not until she does the dishes Neville.

What size car do you want?

Do you really want to spend that much?

What do you require the car to do.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular

I still "Have" my car up here, but I don't use it. I'm going to try selling it soon, huzzah.
    It is different, but mostly only affects me if I want to get a LOT of groceries, but I can still have Safeway deliver or ask a friend for a ride.
    With a really robust transit system (excepting the crappy N line), it makes getting around so painless.
    Also wayyyy cheaper. $74/mo pre-tax for unlimited muni and unlimited BART within the city? That's wayyyy less than I spent on gas.

@Tef I made my way to freedom!

nevillexmassig1.png
    What size car do you want?

Do you really want to spend that much?

What do you require the car to do.

I would prefer a small sedan or coupe, preferably a sedan. I need it to commute back and forth to work, so decent gas mileage is a must, at least 28mpg or so average. I actually don't have a preference towards FWD/AWD/RWD as I have driven RWD vehicles all my life without any hassle in the winter.

$25k is a number I am comfortable with spending. If the car can have some level of OK performance (any of the new turbo small sedans fit my needs in this regard, really) I would prefer it.

The new Dodge Dart is actually in that range, and a surprisingly good car for the money.

easysig2.jpg
    The new Dodge Dart is actually in that range, and a surprisingly good car for the money.

I forgot to mention that I'm going to check out a new Dart this afternoon. A Rallye model with the 1.4L turbo and the 6 speed dual clutch automatic. I'm expecting it to be great.

• FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    driving culture is so weird to me

"driving culture"

xcomsig.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    fuck everyone that doesn't drive

xcomsig.png
    edited October 2012
    Fallout wrote: »
    fuck everyone that doesn't drive

die in a fire

a fire made of cars

Magic Pink on
    i might

thankfully, emergency services all have cars

xcomsig.png

"driving culture"

just like rape culture

but instead you get forced to buy gas and car insurance

easysig2.jpg
    edited October 2012
    i might

thankfully, emergency services all have cars

are they also bullys?

SEE HOW I BROUGHT THAT BACK AROUND

Magic Pink on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular

"driving culture"

just like rape culture

but instead you get forced to buy gas and car insurance

That car was asking for insurance. Look at the way it was painted...it knew what the deal was.

slutty little sedan

easysig2.jpg
    my car is privileged because it's white? um, do you have any idea how dirty they look a day after you wash them

xcomsig.png
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    My car came fully loaded

icGJy2C.png
  • WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    I seriously don't think bullying will ever come to an end. Most teens are basically walking time bombs/shaken powder kegs.

Warpony wrote: »
    I seriously don't think bullying will ever come to an end. Most teens are basically walking time bombs/shaken powder kegs.

Yeah, we will treat each other like shit until the day the sun explodes. It's in our genes. :(

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I live in NYC and have my whole life, so having a car right now would be a bad idea. Hell the first time I had access to a car was when my parents bought one when I was around 16, and they had to move within like a year because car insurance where we were living cost more than the car did.

I do know how to drive though, even if most of my driving experience was between my parents' house and the ferry when someone missed the bus or was lazy or it was cold or it was hot or...

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Saying it will never come to an end is such a pointless assertion. Of course bullying won't come to an end. That's irrelevant. This isn't a binary situation where we either completely stop bullying from ever happening or we just shrug our shoulders and decide it's not worth doing anything about.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    But dru the world is black and white

Not fifty shades of gray!!!

icGJy2C.png
    But dru the world is black and white

Not fifty shades of gray!!!

icGJy2C.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    more like fifty posts of gray

b1ehrMM.gif
    Druhim wrote: »
    Saying it will never come to an end is such a pointless assertion. Of course bullying won't come to an end. That's irrelevant. This isn't a binary situation where we either completely stop bullying from ever happening or we just shrug our shoulders and decide it's not worth doing anything about.

No one said it was.

• WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    Well, parents are forgiven from using a belt on even teens aren't they? Just saying.

if they have use a belt once the kid is in his teens, they've already fucked up.

Shoot the kid, and start over.

easysig2.jpg