As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Circuit City and The Xbox Live Arcade: Electric Boogaloo

PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
tl;dr- recommend things to buy on xbox live marketplace.

This week Circuit City is running a deal:

"Buy two Xbox 360 accessories and get a $20 savings!"

Blah blah blah wifi adapter, blah controllers, blah headsets, blah xbox live gold card... the important thing to ponder is

$20 1600 pt card + $20 1600 pt card - $20 savings = $20 2x1600 pt cards. aka buy one get one free. 1/2 off. whoo.

It may be different for you, but even though my local store is sold out, they will allow special orders at the deal price. I already have 1600 pts that I bought when I got the system, that I never used because I couldn't choose from all the great sounding games and my low pt amount. Now I plan on buying 6 cards which including my original points, would give me 10,800 points to spend.

Now that hype has died down on some releases, what are some good Xbox live arcade games to get? I haven't bought a single thing off live yet. I'm thinking games mostly, but if anything on marketplace excites you, feel free to mention it.

jCyyTSo.png
PikaPuff on

• Options
    kniggeknigge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Geometry Wars.

knigge on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Marathon comes out this week

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My store only had one 1600 point card so I picked up an extra year of live and looked at it as $20 off a year of live. Now you are telling me we can special order this? Raincheck style? ohmygodCChereIcome

These would be my suggestions:
    Geometry Wars
    Bomberman Live
    Pac-man C. E.
    Worms (the patches made it great)
    Lumines Live
    Aegis Wing (it is free)
    Alien Hominid (if you like brutally hard games)
    RoboBlitz (I really, really enjoyed this fun 3rd person puzzle game)
    Marble Blast Ultra :^:
    Doom
    SmashTV

This, this is a godaweful game that should never touch your HDD: Novadrome

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Again, depends on the store with the raincheck. I could also mention that some best buys will honor the ad and price match. Some won't. Mine didn't.

Is Alien Hominid any different than the console versions? Enough to warrant a repurchase?
    I'm not buying doom for the nostalgia factor alone. Anything making it worth buying?

Anywhere with a list of what's out on Live Arcade? I could just google that, but. Yeah.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My CC wouldn't raincheck, wouldn't honor their 24 minute or $24 deal either. I had ordered it in while it was instock on their website, went to pick it up and they "sold out" which is most likely do to employee hoarding. This store is pretty horrible about it. Best Buy said they wouldn't match "packages" so YMMV.

solsovly on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    BREAKIN2-box_hires_dvd.jpg

?

bruin on
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Anywhere with a list of what's out on Live Arcade? I could just google that, but. Yeah.

Oh man, time to hit up CC on the way home, thanks for the heads up.

List of Arcade games, prices and features here

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Symphony of the Night, dammit. It's the best game on XBLA, easily.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    obligatory pile of secrets

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My local circuit city tried to sell this yesterday as being only applicable with the purchase of a 360 elite. I spoke softly with the manager for awhile and eventually they made it happen. So don't let them try and upsell you. This deal is in a national circular and should be honored everywhere.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, as nice as these CC deals always sound, I've always appreciated being able to look at myself in the mirror more.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You know, as nice as these CC deals always sound, I've always appreciated being able to look at myself in the mirror more.

O_o

Accualt on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Accualt wrote: »

O_o

I find it hard to give money to companies that fuck their employees over.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yes, I'm such a fucking terrible person for wanting to use a deal in a national ad for a store, that in no way even invloves so much as a "grey area."

EDIT: Well in that case, yeah CC sucks.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

O_o

Welcome to America.

Get used to it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Tumbler 360Tumbler 360 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I visited my local Circuit City today about this and they had sold their last cards earlier, so no luck.

I grabbed their add and went next store to the Gamestop and they matched the offer and I got 2 cards for 21.64.

I tryed doing this at another gamestop closer to my house and they said they, "We don't price match or do anything like that." I would have liked to buy more points but I suppose this was enough and I gave up after that.

I still feel bad about actually buying something from Gamestop. They are the absolute worst place to shop for games, I cringe at the though of dealing with them but occasionally, when you can get something for a steal, I will put up with them.

Tumbler 360 on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I visited my local Circuit City today about this and they had sold their last cards earlier, so no luck.

I grabbed their add and went next store to the Gamestop and they matched the offer and I got 2 cards for 21.64.

I tryed doing this at another gamestop closer to my house and they said they, "We don't price match or do anything like that." I would have liked to buy more points but I suppose this was enough and I gave up after that.

I still feel bad about actually buying something from Gamestop. They are the absolute worst place to shop for games, I cringe at the though of dealing with them but occasionally, when you can get something for a steal, I will put up with them.

They shouldn't have charged you tax. I've never been charged tax for the card, because it's essentially like a gift card, not a regular item.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you like board games Carcassonne and Catan are pretty good fun.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

O_o

Oh, that...I'd forgotten.
    But, you know, I don't feel very bad for "retail lifers" who don't even get into management positions.

Accualt on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is this deal happening in Canada's The Source by Circuit City?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I dunno, does Canada have newspapers? And would those papers have ads? Especially bigger ones on Sunday? Maybe you can check. I really have no clue about Canada.

Also, I've never heard of EBStop doing price matching. That's very odd.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png