As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I would like a racing game.

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
For my PC. I would like some kind of track racing game for my PC (Think Gran Turismo, but maybe not so deep). Something realistic-ish, but also easy to obtain (Free or cheap). Are there any freeware track racing games that are worth a look that aren't Trackmania Nations? I have a problem with Starforce, surprisingly.

So, um, suggest. Please.

Centipeed on

• Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Colin McRae Rally? The older versions aren't that expensive.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think maybe the new Trackmania on Steam got Starforce taken out. I know I heard this somewhere.

captaink on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    I think maybe the new Trackmania on Steam got Starforce taken out. I know I heard this somewhere.

Indeed it did. It's $40 though, which is a little too much for a game that I only want to satiate my racing cravings.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    FoddehFoddeh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Both GTR2 and GT Legends have demos that you could try for nothing.

I've heard they really are rather good once you attach a steering wheel.

Foddeh on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moto GP 2 is quite nice. You should be able to find it for under $10.

Demo.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Foddeh wrote: »
    Both GTR2 and GT Legends have demos that you could try for nothing.

I've heard they really are rather good once you attach a steering wheel.

GTR2 is amazing if you have a wheel, but it can be very intimidating as it is VERY much a sim. There is also no real career mode or progression system; it is structured more like a flight sim - you can unlock new custom cups by completing training challenges though.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I havent played it in years but isnt Live for Speed free?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »

Indeed it did. It's $40 though, which is a little too much for a game that I only want to satiate my racing cravings.

It's $30 on my Steam, if that makes any difference in your decision.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    midgetspy wrote: »

:( It's still $39.95 for me.

Rook on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It is also shit hot. But do yourself a favor and use some sort of gamepad if you play it. The arror keys cause sever cramping after a few hours.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Basticle wrote: »
    I havent played it in years but isnt Live for Speed free?

No, but it has a demo. www.liveforspeed.net

Its worth buying.

Stregone on
  • Options
    lucidiquelucidique CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

It is also shit hot. But do yourself a favor and use some sort of gamepad if you play it. The arror keys cause sever cramping after a few hours.

So what's the general opinion on the game? I just got it off Steam and it's slowly downloading.

lucidique on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    lucidique wrote: »

So what's the general opinion on the game? I just got it off Steam and it's slowly downloading.

Trackmania United? If that's the one then it is indeed awesome. My favorite cars are the stadium ones and the island ones, I think. I can beat all the tracks except the last ones. Sweet jesus those are difficult.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would go with TOCA 3, I got it really cheap and its really good, nice variety of tracks and realistic-ish but still fun to play.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    lucidiquelucidique CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »
    lucidique wrote: »

Trackmania United? If that's the one then it is indeed awesome. My favorite cars are the stadium ones and the island ones, I think. I can beat all the tracks except the last ones. Sweet jesus those are difficult.

Awesome. Just one last bit of info regarding the game (Sorry for derailing) :

1.Any Penny-Arcade group going on for maps, cars and rankings? If so, how's it called?
    2.Graphically intensive? or is it really scaleable? (Radeon 200m 128MB scaleable...)

lucidique on
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm amazingly addicted to Trackmania Nations. If any of you play, I'm on the Racing Freaks team, and we have two servers - Racing Freaks Cooldown and Racing Freaks Hard Rounds. Bring your A++ game if you come to the hard server, but anyone can manage the tracks on the cooldown server. Both are rounds style and located in the United States, so feel free to pop by and say hi.

Edgie on