As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bullying

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Saying it will never come to an end is such a pointless assertion. Of course bullying won't come to an end. That's irrelevant. This isn't a binary situation where we either completely stop bullying from ever happening or we just shrug our shoulders and decide it's not worth doing anything about.

No one said it was.

And yet you both pointed out the obvious as if it was somehow relevant to the discussion. No one said bullying would ever come to an end either. You've effectively popped in to say water is wet. Congrats!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    Ouch.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Warpony wrote: »
    Well, parents are forgiven from using a belt on even teens aren't they? Just saying.

I don't think so, no

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i think people should try not abusing their children

reposig.jpg
    Aside from whether or not corporal punishment administered by parents is necessarily abuse or bullying, there's also the simple fact that a school peer beating you up is hardly equivalent to your father spanking you as punishment.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    druhim would u be really upset if i made a twitter bot of you

i am goign to make it talk to teefs twitter bot

its part of my plan to destroy twitter

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    unless he's punishing you for not giving him your lunch money

iwantanswers3.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I am tots down with spanking up to a certain age.

Spanking, not beating.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'm only okay with spanking after a certain age

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

And with the right partner!

Legba wrote: »

GtqLe.jpg
    :?:

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »

GtqLe.jpg
    :?:

As long as I can wear the robes, this will do nicely!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Saying it will never come to an end is such a pointless assertion. Of course bullying won't come to an end. That's irrelevant. This isn't a binary situation where we either completely stop bullying from ever happening or we just shrug our shoulders and decide it's not worth doing anything about.

No one said it was.

And yet you both pointed out the obvious as if it was somehow relevant to the discussion. No one said bullying would ever come to an end either. You've effectively popped in to say water is wet. Congrats!

And then you showed up just to be a goose. Your mother must be so proud.

this is a great post i love this post

reposig.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dru knock it off

8406wWN.png
  • Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Spiced Ham wrote: »
    I was bullied a lot in school but I've gotten past all that stuff. I don't think I ever got as angry about it as when my girlfriend told me about what she had to go through when she was younger.

She came to the Australia from the Philippines when she was 10 to a rural town in southern WA at the height of the Pauline Hanson thing. If you're not from Australia you might need to google her but she was a heinous bitch who stirred up a whole lot of racist sentiment, like god damn.

I'm not an angry person but just typing this out is making my hands shake. I don't care if they're stupid kids who're just parroting things their parents say, doing that sort of thing to a 10 year old... Just fucking hell, no excuses.

Ugh.

Dammit.

Oh dude are you in Perth too? hi5!

Used to, we're both in Queensland now. Love Perth though, can't figure out why everyone gives it so much shit. But yeah, the racism in Australia is pretty bad, way too much "I'm not racist but..." stuff.

Butt stuff.

On a related note how good is it that Alan Jones is getting the Limbaugh treatment? What a prick. I'm just amazed after all the shit he's said that it was the comments about the Prime Ministers dead dad that got him. Probably just the straw that broke the camels back.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I was bullied a lot in school but I've gotten past all that stuff. I don't think I ever got as angry about it as when my girlfriend told me about what she had to go through when she was younger.

She came to the Australia from the Philippines when she was 10 to a rural town in southern WA at the height of the Pauline Hanson thing. If you're not from Australia you might need to google her but she was a heinous bitch who stirred up a whole lot of racist sentiment, like god damn.

I'm not an angry person but just typing this out is making my hands shake. I don't care if they're stupid kids who're just parroting things their parents say, doing that sort of thing to a 10 year old... Just fucking hell, no excuses.

Ugh.

Dammit.

Oh dude are you in Perth too? hi5!

Used to, we're both in Queensland now. Love Perth though, can't figure out why everyone gives it so much shit. But yeah, the racism in Australia is pretty bad, way too much "I'm not racist but..." stuff.

Butt stuff.

On a related note how good is it that Alan Jones is getting the Limbaugh treatment? What a prick. I'm just amazed after all the shit he's said that it was the comments about the Prime Ministers dead dad that got him. Probably just the straw that broke the camels back.

Pretty great. I was talking about it the other day and yeah the spiteful, vindictive side of me was gleeful.

I get what you're saying about being the straw breaking the camel's back but man, I would not be surprised if it was more that people care more about making fun of someone's dead dad than they are about xenophobia

I also hate the, 'hate him or love him he's just doing his job' argument. He can be a divisive firebrand without actively encouraging xenophobic hatred

It'll be interesting to see if the pressure keeps up long enough for him to get fired or if we'll get bored of it before he's forced to quit. It saddens me that Kyle Sandilands is still going, despite the horrible things he's said and done

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    sometimes i keep up with the australian politics threads over on something awful

it just reinforces how great a job the united states is doing dragging the commonwealth down with them

reposig.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    sometimes i keep up with the australian politics threads over on something awful

it just reinforces how great a job the united states is doing dragging the commonwealth down with them

Yo explain this a little bit for me

Not a lot, I dont actually want to understand what is happening in the prison colony

Just wanna understand this post

2x39jD4.jpg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I just read about Ken McElroy
    Ken Rex McElroy (June 1, 1934 – July 10, 1981) was a resident of Nodaway County, Missouri, near the town of Skidmore. Known as "the town bully", his unsolved murder became the focus of international attention. Over the course of his life McElroy was accused of dozens of felonies, including assault, child molestation, rape, arson, hog and cattle rustling, and burglary.
    In all, he was indicted 21 times, but escaped conviction each time, except for the last. In 1981, McElroy was convicted of shooting and seriously injuring the town's 70-year-old grocer, Ernest "Bo" Bowenkamp, the previous year. McElroy successfully appealed the conviction and was released on bond, after which he engaged in an ongoing harassment campaign against Bowenkamp, the town's Church of Christ minister, and others who were sympathetic to Bowenkamp. He appeared in a local bar, the D&G Tavern, armed with a semi-automatic military rifle and bayonet, and later threatened to kill Bowenkamp. The next day, McElroy was shot to death in broad daylight as he sat with his wife in his pickup truck on Skidmore's main street. He was struck by bullets from at least two different firearms, in front of a crowd of people estimated as between 30 and 46. To date, no one has been charged in connection with McElroy's death.

Kwoaru wrote: »

Not a lot, I dont actually want to understand what is happening in the prison colony

basically, most of the commonwealth countries are becoming increasingly neoliberal and prone to privatization and the global influence the US exerts on anglosphere politics has dragged the overton window to the right elsewhere

just today or yesterday one of australia's major newspapers ran a huge article about how gayness is destroying the sanctity of marriage, england is considering privatizing parts of the train system, etc etc

reposig.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I just read about Ken McElroy
    Ken Rex McElroy (June 1, 1934 – July 10, 1981) was a resident of Nodaway County, Missouri, near the town of Skidmore. Known as "the town bully", his unsolved murder became the focus of international attention. Over the course of his life McElroy was accused of dozens of felonies, including assault, child molestation, rape, arson, hog and cattle rustling, and burglary.
    In all, he was indicted 21 times, but escaped conviction each time, except for the last. In 1981, McElroy was convicted of shooting and seriously injuring the town's 70-year-old grocer, Ernest "Bo" Bowenkamp, the previous year. McElroy successfully appealed the conviction and was released on bond, after which he engaged in an ongoing harassment campaign against Bowenkamp, the town's Church of Christ minister, and others who were sympathetic to Bowenkamp. He appeared in a local bar, the D&G Tavern, armed with a semi-automatic military rifle and bayonet, and later threatened to kill Bowenkamp. The next day, McElroy was shot to death in broad daylight as he sat with his wife in his pickup truck on Skidmore's main street. He was struck by bullets from at least two different firearms, in front of a crowd of people estimated as between 30 and 46. To date, no one has been charged in connection with McElroy's death.

This reminds me of the story behind that Jack Black movie "Bernie"

2x39jD4.jpg
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    dear diary

today i got real high and wrote about privatized neoliberal overton windows

xcomsig.png

No doubt it's had an effect. Most of the really horrible xenophobia is a holdover from the Howard years when they used the asylum seeker, 'Turn Back The Boats' thing as a platform to get elected and it's pretty much become a central part of every campaign since.

I was very disappointed to see how many politicians voted against the recent gay marriage bill (it was like 98 against, 40 for). Our government appears much more secular the US generally speaking, so it really threw me off that the bill got knocked back like that

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    i thought you guys had a female atheist PM, too. though i've read a lot of people are reading that as something of a facade to court the secular vote and that she's really not that socially liberal and shit
    Fallout wrote: »
    dear diary

today i got real high and wrote about privatized neoliberal overton windows

yo dogg, thats just how i roll

i have some pretty incredible weed right now too

reposig.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I think Australia's slightly over represented it in the media. Which is a good thing. It's very much a don't sweep it under the carpet type thing and put it out in display and say its not right.

Rather than just sweeping it to the side and going, yeah those people are from the backwards place.

Alex remember that labor had a conscience vote for that bill. Whereas the liberals voted along party lines. So with 70 or so labor ministers, over fifty percent voted yes. So other than the fact that abbot is a shit, it's not as bad as it could be. Though I'd wish both parties would stop pandering to the over sixty vote.

basically, most of the commonwealth countries are becoming increasingly neoliberal and prone to privatization and the global influence the US exerts on anglosphere politics has dragged the overton window to the right elsewhere

just today or yesterday one of australia's major newspapers ran a huge article about how gayness is destroying the sanctity of marriage, england is considering privatizing parts of the train system, etc etc

Well Australia was privatising a while ago, so it's not a new thing for us. That said, it probably was influenced by the US to some degree. I ain't no expert and I haven't thought about it too much so I can't really say.

What was the newspaper that ran the article?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    do politicians prorogue parliament at the drop of a hat in Australia the way they do here in Canada

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    do politicians prorogue parliament at the drop of a hat in Australia the way they do here in Canada

I'm not super familiar with the term but I think we can do something similar?

We have elections every three years or less at the prime minister's leisure although if a bill is knocked back the PM can say fuck it and have a double disillusionment and disolve the entire parliament and have everyone go back to the polls.

bfbc986c181411e2b62722000a1d0368_7.jpg

i'm not actually sure which paper this is but the post over on SA which included this picture said it was the mostly widely circulated

reposig.jpg

Not that I'm aware of. Why would they do it? Everybody is getting too shouty or something?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    The Australian is owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Draw your own conclusions.

Blake T wrote: »
    I think Australia's slightly over represented it in the media. Which is a good thing. It's very much a don't sweep it under the carpet type thing and put it out in display and say its not right.

Rather than just sweeping it to the side and going, yeah those people are from the backwards place.

Alex remember that labor had a conscience vote for that bill. Whereas the liberals voted along party lines. So with 70 or so labor ministers, over fifty percent voted yes. So other than the fact that abbot is a shit, it's not as bad as it could be. Though I'd wish both parties would stop pandering to the over sixty vote.

I did forget that the Libs didn't have a conscience vote, yeah

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Not that I'm aware of. Why would they do it? Everybody is getting too shouty or something?

Basically, the second it looks like there's either an no-confidence vote or a chance the opposition might form a coalition the conservative PM basically forces the government to fuck off for three months until everyone forgets why this happened.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    bfbc986c181411e2b62722000a1d0368_7.jpg

i'm not actually sure which paper this is but the post over on SA which included this picture said it was the mostly widely circulated

It says it is theTelegraph up there in the corner

zkHcp.jpg
    Oh man Alex.

Did you see that argument I got into on Facebook with ben's fruebd's dad? He was best described as a "liberal crusader". As in nothing the labor party can say will ever be right.

It was well, a sight to see someone that ignorant.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

well, the premier of my province just unexpectedly resigned monday and then prorogued parliament until they figure out a replacement for him.

A few years back our PM Stephen Harper prorogued.

It basically always seems to be just for direct political gain. like there are scandals coming out about the government, or it looks like the opposition might succeed with a non-confidence and force an election (we've had a bunch of minority governments the past few years) so they just prorogue.

Blake T wrote: »
    Oh man Alex.

Did you see that argument I got into on Facebook with ben's fruebd's dad? He was best described as a "liberal crusader". As in nothing the labor party can say will ever be right.

It was well, a sight to see someone that ignorant.
    I think so. Is that the one you quoted in the thread?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    prorogue sounds like a racist japanese caricature saying "prologue"

reposig.jpg
    Yeah.

He made one more comment and I basically flat out called him mysoginistic and incapable of forming actual opinions and unable to create arguments and he stopped posting.