As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bullying

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    And for my next highly intelligent and thought out political opinion;

I would totally bone the Aussie PM

• Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    prorogue sounds like a racist japanese caricature saying "prologue"

wait...what?

I think you got the racist switch in your brain switched to on by accident

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    it's because i watched this video earlier today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ru6PWJIYis

reposig.jpg
  • Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    And for my next highly intelligent and thought out political opinion;

I would totally bone the Aussie PM
    That is one thing I never thought I would hear someone say about Guillard.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Huh.

wait

Gillard?

I thought the PM was Rupert Murdoch

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I want some Pierogis.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    i thought you guys had a female atheist PM, too. though i've read a lot of people are reading that as something of a facade to court the secular vote and that she's really not that socially liberal and shit
    Fallout wrote: »
    dear diary

today i got real high and wrote about privatized neoliberal overton windows

yo dogg, thats just how i roll

i have some pretty incredible weed right now too

never change fandy

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    australia's newspapers are significantly more terrible than our actual politics

they're all owned by rupert murdoch or gina fucking rinehart or somebody

julia gillard's become suddenly popular over the last few days, entirely due to her snapping and calling abbott the shithead that he is. i am hoping she can ride this wave all the way to the actual election.

• Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Spiced Ham wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    I was bullied a lot in school but I've gotten past all that stuff. I don't think I ever got as angry about it as when my girlfriend told me about what she had to go through when she was younger.

She came to the Australia from the Philippines when she was 10 to a rural town in southern WA at the height of the Pauline Hanson thing. If you're not from Australia you might need to google her but she was a heinous bitch who stirred up a whole lot of racist sentiment, like god damn.

I'm not an angry person but just typing this out is making my hands shake. I don't care if they're stupid kids who're just parroting things their parents say, doing that sort of thing to a 10 year old... Just fucking hell, no excuses.

Ugh.

Dammit.

Oh dude are you in Perth too? hi5!

Used to, we're both in Queensland now. Love Perth though, can't figure out why everyone gives it so much shit. But yeah, the racism in Australia is pretty bad, way too much "I'm not racist but..." stuff.

Butt stuff.

On a related note how good is it that Alan Jones is getting the Limbaugh treatment? What a prick. I'm just amazed after all the shit he's said that it was the comments about the Prime Ministers dead dad that got him. Probably just the straw that broke the camels back.

Pretty great. I was talking about it the other day and yeah the spiteful, vindictive side of me was gleeful.

I get what you're saying about being the straw breaking the camel's back but man, I would not be surprised if it was more that people care more about making fun of someone's dead dad than they are about xenophobia

I also hate the, 'hate him or love him he's just doing his job' argument. He can be a divisive firebrand without actively encouraging xenophobic hatred

It'll be interesting to see if the pressure keeps up long enough for him to get fired or if we'll get bored of it before he's forced to quit. It saddens me that Kyle Sandilands is still going, despite the horrible things he's said and done

Jesus, Kyle Sandilands, what a loon. Especially with the way that he handled the interview with that 14 year old girl that was raped. I understand controversy gets hits but dammit there's a line.

Someone's done an old mashup of Alan Jones dummy spits called 'off the air' I'd link it if it wasn't for work blocking me but it's a pretty succinct demonstration of why he should've been fired a long time ago.

And I would love to be able to vote in an election where the two major contenders weren't a couple of cunts running a competition to see who could victimise the most refugees. John Howard has a lot to answer for.

• Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular

julia gillard's become suddenly popular over the last few days, entirely due to her snapping and calling abbott the shithead that he is. i am hoping she can ride this wave all the way to the actual election.

Yes, this. Never ever read an Australian newspaper or watch an Australian news program. Unless it's the ABC or SBS or something, they generally keep it together.

I get the feeling that if you told Americans that the best place to get news was from a government owned and funded source a large portion would shit themselves. Yes, no?

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I just remembered this piece of bullying history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfn4OxCPQs&feature=related

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    zangief kid owns

lfYVHTd.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    People's attitude to him was pretty foul though.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    What do you mean? I don't fully remember what happened.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    To which kid? The bully or the kid getting picked on?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    1219834185_75SEg-L.jpg

broken image link
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That he was a hero to everyone who had ever been bullied and there were grown adults living vicariously through him.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I spent most of my life being bullied. In elementary school I was the fat kid and due to asthma, I couldn't run much. I got beat up all the time, called names, and treated like shit. The school would break up fights, and tell these kids parents, but out never changed much and my home life was shit enough that my parents didn't have time to worry about it.

In middle school I was the nerdy kid. I read too much, played video games and watched anime. My friends and I were continually threatened, called names and bullied. But I started to fight back. I got kicked off the wrestling team for beating up two guys who held me down and broke my glasses, and punched a kid so hard he wound up in catholic school. But see, years of being the straight a student who never got in trouble finally worked for me. I barely got in trouble for this stuff and that last year of middle school no one messed with my friends and I.

Then high school happened. It started the same, older kids beating us up, knocking books out of hands, name calling. But by my junior year video games were cool, and no one knew more about them then us. We were band and choir and drama nerds but puerile started being nice, sure there were still dicks, but it mattered less because of all the good will. People would actually talk to us and realized we were just like them. Then there was this amazing retreat that changed my life, and I was even voted prom king. I went from the fat nerdy kid to winner of high schools biggest popularity contest, and I never stopped being me.
    The thing is, if I had ever given in to despair and ended it, and I thought about it a few times and even talked a few friends out of it, then my happy ending wouldn't have happened.
    I can't imagine what goes on these days, I'm sure the harassment is worse and schools do less, but I really hope and pray that nothing like this ever has to happen again.
    If I could hug the world, I would hug it so hard.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Here is an interview with the bully in question.

Now, the show it was taken from is a shitty current affairs program, and they seem to be trying to make the bully more sympathetic, but really they just make him look like a lying, unrepentant sociopath-in-training.

Best moment is at 5:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__IjcLVBBYc

broken image link
    and punched a kid so hard he wound up in catholic school.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    wait what

what in the hell was that scrawny mother fucker doing

Blake T wrote: »
    and punched a kid so hard he wound up in catholic school.

I fuckin loved that line too

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I spent most of my life being bullied. In elementary school I was the fat kid and due to asthma, I couldn't run much. I got beat up all the time, called names, and treated like shit. The school would break up fights, and tell these kids parents, but out never changed much and my home life was shit enough that my parents didn't have time to worry about it.

In middle school I was the nerdy kid. I read too much, played video games and watched anime. My friends and I were continually threatened, called names and bullied. But I started to fight back. I got kicked off the wrestling team for beating up two guys who held me down and broke my glasses, and punched a kid so hard he wound up in catholic school. But see, years of being the straight a student who never got in trouble finally worked for me. I barely got in trouble for this stuff and that last year of middle school no one messed with my friends and I.

Then high school happened. It started the same, older kids beating us up, knocking books out of hands, name calling. But by my junior year video games were cool, and no one knew more about them then us. We were band and choir and drama nerds but puerile started being nice, sure there were still dicks, but it mattered less because of all the good will. People would actually talk to us and realized we were just like them. Then there was this amazing retreat that changed my life, and I was even voted prom king. I went from the fat nerdy kid to winner of high schools biggest popularity contest, and I never stopped being me.
    The thing is, if I had ever given in to despair and ended it, and I thought about it a few times and even talked a few friends out of it, then my happy ending wouldn't have happened.
    I can't imagine what goes on these days, I'm sure the harassment is worse and schools do less, but I really hope and pray that nothing like this ever has to happen again.
    If I could hug the world, I would hug it so hard.

huggin' the shit out of you, skragg

lfYVHTd.png
    Seriously wrote: »
    wait what

what in the hell was that scrawny mother fucker doing

Showing up for his mate

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Look at them chompers

Here is an interview with the bully in question.

Now, the show it was taken from is a shitty current affairs program, and they seem to be trying to make the bully more sympathetic, but really they just make him look like a lying, unrepentant sociopath-in-training.

Best moment is at 5:35

youtube.com/watch?v=__IjcLVBBYc

Oh please this was a cash grab by the parents.

And the video shows this kid being goaded into by his "friends"

And I need to say none of that makes it ok to what happened to Casey. But it's the sad state of affairs where people who are bullied often become bullies in a continuing cycle.

The most effective way to stop bullying is to tell then to stop, when it isn't happening to you. Which is of course when you are the least invested in it. Which often means it rarely happens.

That video is so fucking stupid

Unbelievably stupid

I feel sad for both of those poor little bastards

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Yeah.

Casey got interviewed by sixty minutes.

That wasnt much better.

But that other kid's interview was just embarrassing.

He probably gets teased more than Casey now.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Interviewer: Are you sorry?
    Bully: No...(looks off-camera). Um, yes.

Anyone else find it odd this 12 year old kid had an eyebrow piercing?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    I was bullied a lot over the years, but I was an arrogant little shit who knew he was better than everyone else. As a defense mechanism, it worked quite well. I went to ten different elementary schools over 3 states. I was always the fat kid, the new kid, and the smart kid all in one. Mostly I was annoyed with other kids who tried to start something.
    High school was worse, but I was still too much of an asshole to let things get to me too much. I would just mouth off if someone threatened me or demanded help on homework. I had friends and was too tall to scare easily. For the most part it was a blur, but I do remember this one kid who moved to the school. Chet was big and dumb and just tried continually to harass me. At the time I was working with my friend at the local movie theater that his parents managed. Chet left his drink with us to give him a refill while he went upstairs to use the bathroom. My friend got revenge on my behalf, filling the straw with boogers. My wannabe bully came down the stairs, took a big swig of his drink and went back into the theater. Chet still tried to bully me some, but after that, I really couldn't let it bother me.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    What size car do you want?

Do you really want to spend that much?

What do you require the car to do.

I would prefer a small sedan or coupe, preferably a sedan. I need it to commute back and forth to work, so decent gas mileage is a must, at least 28mpg or so average. I actually don't have a preference towards FWD/AWD/RWD as I have driven RWD vehicles all my life without any hassle in the winter.

$25k is a number I am comfortable with spending. If the car can have some level of OK performance (any of the new turbo small sedans fit my needs in this regard, really) I would prefer it.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html You should be able to haggle them down a bit.

• InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular

Yes, this. Never ever read an Australian newspaper or watch an Australian news program. Unless it's the ABC or SBS or something, they generally keep it together.

I get the feeling that if you told Americans that the best place to get news was from a government owned and funded source a large portion would shit themselves. Yes, no?

A large portion would, and a large portion would agree with you. See: NPR, PBS, CSPAN, BBC. It does sound like you guys don't have very much media to the left of your public media, which is a bit unsettling.

jgeis wrote: »
    What size car do you want?

Do you really want to spend that much?

What do you require the car to do.

I would prefer a small sedan or coupe, preferably a sedan. I need it to commute back and forth to work, so decent gas mileage is a must, at least 28mpg or so average. I actually don't have a preference towards FWD/AWD/RWD as I have driven RWD vehicles all my life without any hassle in the winter.

$25k is a number I am comfortable with spending. If the car can have some level of OK performance (any of the new turbo small sedans fit my needs in this regard, really) I would prefer it.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html You should be able to haggle them down a bit.

Im grabbing the toyota version of this (scion in NA)

Still a couple months before it arrives though

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I think the only thing that stopped me from becoming a whiney little depressed shit sucking his thumb and crying in the corner was that I wasn't raised around kids.

I was raised around adults, so I viewed the world as an adult.

I knew full-well that middle and high school were utterly meaningless and none of the bullshit that happens to me was important.

It still pissed me off, but I had a much firmer grasp on the big picture.

easysig2.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i'm so glad i went to a tiny high school where everyone was cool with each other. the only people who didn't get along were the fundie christians and literally everyone else because everyone hated them.

i ran with the school druggies and we were totally friends with the nerds and people on the sports teams and the drama kids and everything, the only clique-formation was in what people did outside of school

i can't imagine being enough of a shithead to bully someone just for being different in high school, supposed to have grown way past that shit by then

reposig.jpg
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    My dad has a BRZ. It's awesome. I prefer my weird, old SVX but if I had to buy a new car it would probably be that one.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm going to pass on the BRZ. It doesn't really do anything for me. A WRX is wholly more useful for me, and is in the running.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    To go back to the whole car vs. bike discussion, funnily enough that ties into my story about bullying.

I was horrendously harrassed by the whole school bus during the 6 years I lived out in the country. Everything except actual physical contact happened, so neither the bus driver, school, or even my parents really did anything about it. "Just ignore it" they said.

One day, after weeks and weeks of name-calling and other shitty behaviour, I got into the back of the bus, and one of the guys told me. "Muzzmuzz, go kill yourself" There was no reason for him to say that. I lost it, and back handed him.

Now, in any other case, there would have been nothing further, except I had been doing homework, and had a pen clenched in my slapping hand. When I back-handed him, the pen grazed the bridge of his nose, scraping it, and causing a little bit of swelling. Basically, imagine getting swatted by a cat with it's claws partially out, no bleeding, just a long swollen line that would fade in 30 minutes.

Well, this boy ran home, went to his father, crying about how 'the mean girl on the bus hurt me' His father, being a diligent father, reported the incident to the school. Next thing I knew, I was being called into the office and being regretfully told that I was suspended for a day out of school, and that I was not to take the bus for a week.

My parents were furious with me, and refused to drive me to school, which was about 15 minutes away. So, I decided to try biking there. At the time, biking was a recreational activity for me, not a mode of transportation. A week later, I realized that biking was fun, exhilerating, and most of all, pest free. I gave up on my goal of getting my Driver's liscence, and for the past 10 years, have been biking or taking public transit to wherever I need to go.

how do you guys grip the steering wheel

i'm a hand in my lap, hand on six o' clock kinda guy

lfYVHTd.png