As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looper is the best movie this year, and you need to go see it.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Where would you get that crazy idea Grey? Next you're going to tell me it takes place in New York.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Akira's been in development hell forever

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The best live action Akira movie we will ever get is the Stronger music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh yeah looks like they re-re-re-cancelled it back in January

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Fifth time's the char-pfffffffffttaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    This movie was great

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I have never seen Akira and don't know what it's about

But I love Chronicle

And I've heard people say that the ending of that movie is very Akira-like

• Options
    Cross-posting my Halloween costume idea
    Gatsby wrote: »
    So I've been invited to a Halloween party with HB, and the theme is "hilariously bad discount costumes", and today I just had an idea for mine.

Leather jacket, jeans, boots, a drawn on piece of cardboard tube, and a printed out paper mask of Bruce Willis, topped off with a piece of paper taped to my chest saying "I AM LOOPER"

When I take off the Bruce Willis mask I'll still have the nose and eyes attached.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I think the sign might be a bit too on the nose

But apparently Looper hasn't done so well at the box office? So maybe it is necessary

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I think without the sign I'll just be Guy With Bruce Willis Mask. Plus it just adds another layer of ridiculousness, I feel.

• Options
    If people don't get it without the sign, they won't get it much more with it

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    It's like the I am a Vampire and my name is Twilight sign. The fact your costume is so shitty you feel the need to point out what you're trying to be, and do so in the laziest way possible is part of the joke.

• Options
    I'm also considering labeling the tube "Blunderbuzz" then proceed to drink beer through it.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

But I love Chronicle

Akira is about teenage motorbike gangs picking fights with pretty much everybody.

Akira is about scientists trying to play god and creating a monster.

Akira is about an anti-government rebellion lead by a precognitive psychic.

Akira is about The Colonel, a man who will do despicable things to protect his country.

Akira is about the limits of humanity and what might lie beyond.

Akira is about a young man becoming a monster in more ways than one.

And best of all, Akira is about an asshole named Kaneda, who is a brash, arrogant loudmouth who only gets involved with the story because he wants to:

1) Do kickass drugs
    2) Have sex with a girl (who happens to be with the anti-government resistance)
    3) Beat the shit out of people in other motorbike gangs

He's more or less the protagonist.

Of course, none of this makes any sense at all if you just see the movie. Read the books. Ideally, the color version from the 80s. It's gorgeous. Best coloring job I've seen.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    ok, I don't think it was apparent

reg_1024.JackReacher.herzog.mh.101712.jpg

yes

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Akira is also about shouting people's names in a drawn out but dramatic manner.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh yeah looks like they re-re-re-cancelled it back in January

For the best, really.

Akira is one of those things that I just don't see working in live action, no matter how you go about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh man I didn't realise there was a full colour version of Akira.

I bought the 6 books over 6 months back when I just had a part time pizza delivery job. 1 book per paycheque. Read it in like 30 mins then had to wait 30 days for the next one, which was painful.

• Options
    Speaking of color graphic novels

The hardback colored versions of Scott Pilgrim have started coming out

Need to pick those up

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    as someone who has never read the akira books, the movie makes sense in it's own right

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    Oh man I didn't realise there was a full colour version of Akira.

I bought the 6 books over 6 months back when I just had a part time pizza delivery job. 1 book per paycheque. Read it in like 30 mins then had to wait 30 days for the next one, which was painful.

Well, they're kinda rare. Marvel localized it back in the late 80s through the early 90s under their Epic imprint. They released the whole thing in floppies, and the first five volumes in limited edition hardbacks, but the sixth never came out, and only the first 3 came out in paperback.

Worth looking for, though.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

But I love Chronicle

A compressed version of the Akira experience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDm4FoWEpOA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tumblr_lmw96c8SuK1qbxn7go1_1280.jpg

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Well, just ordered my replication Blunderbuss; when it arrives, I'm going to fancy it up with some copper wiring.

I already own a leather jacket, dress shirt, tie, jeans, and boots, so.

Plus, I'm balding!

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    as someone who has never read the akira books, the movie makes sense in it's own right

It requires repeated viewings to absorb all the information thrown at you or even hinted at.
    Still never understood what the motivations of the blue psychic children were.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    The fat blue kid always just looked like Louie Anderson to me.

• Options
    darunia106 wrote: »

It requires repeated viewings to absorb all the information thrown at you or even hinted at.

what information might you miss on a first viewing that is important to lets say the bare minimum of following the plot.

• Options
    darunia106 wrote: »

what information might you miss on a first viewing that is important to lets say the bare minimum of following the plot.

Related to the plot of a motorcycle gang kid turned psychic and going berserk in neo-tokyo? Nothing.

What i missed the first time round was the stuff happening around that like the colonel and his interactions with the men who run the city.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    but a movie having more to chew on that you can flesh out by thinking about it or rewatching it is not the same as it being confusing. Is that your argument? Because it's that general complaint I've heard leveled at it (that you need to read the books for it to make sense) that I was responding to

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Something Looper-related I was thinking about:
    When Cid is yelling "Liar! Liar" at his Mom, she went and climbed in a safe, which confused me. Okay lady, you aren't getting on well with him, but using a safe is a weird coping mechanism.

And then Cid had his psychic tantrum and I was like oooooooooooooh
    pay attention and you'll see stuff shaking violently behind him
    For some reason I thought that was a thematic thing, like she couldn't deal with his tantrums so imagined wind blowing around him and stuff. I had almost forgotten about TK until she talked about it, and didn't make the connection until said Phoenix moment.

Also, stupid speculation with no base in reality, but:
    Could Looper be in the same universe as Chronicle? Maybe there's more of those artifacts that grant TK, but very few people get close enough to get enough power to lift more than quarters, and Cid's dad was one of them?

I look forward to being scoffed at.

• Options
    but a movie having more to chew on that you can flesh out by thinking about it or rewatching it is not the same as it being confusing. Is that your argument? Because it's that general complaint I've heard leveled at it (that you need to read the books for it to make sense) that I was responding to

I'm not saying it was confusing, just that there was a lot more going on in the movie that you don't pick up on with a first viewing.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    On a second viewing, I picked up on something I didn't the first time
    When Young Joe first witnesses Cid's ability and is laying into Sarah about it, he says "Imagine what he will do when he learns to control it." and she responds along the lines of "But what if he had me raising him?"

Which I found an odd thing for her to say. Because why would there be any alternative to her raising him, if she is his mother?

It made me think of Fishman's idea about Sarah coming from the future. Maybe she isn't related to him, but she saw the carnage the Rainmaker caused and had come back to try and change things by guiding him from his childhood.

I dunno though, just a thing I thought.

Definitely a good film for a second watch. Lots of bits that are fun to notice with the benefit of knowing what is going to happen.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Each time I watch Akira I pick up on a new way to scream TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOOO or KANEDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    also I found it very strange when
    JGL decided "yep this kid's gotta die" and he stumbles on him drenched in blood

that's the thing that makes him go "nope I'm not gonna kill this kid"

I don't feel like seeing the blood of your old buddy spilled all over his killer is usually a calming factor, even if it's on a kid

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Akira is also about shouting people's names in a drawn out but dramatic manner.

GATSBUOOOOOOOOO

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    also I found it very strange when
    JGL decided "yep this kid's gotta die" and he stumbles on him drenched in blood

that's the thing that makes him go "nope I'm not gonna kill this kid"

I don't feel like seeing the blood of your old buddy spilled all over his killer is usually a calming factor, even if it's on a kid

I think maybe it was the
    tears that changed his mind, less so all the blood

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    XGC75XGC75 Registered User new member
    I think my friend said it best with
    "This is the closest we've come, and will probably get, to a live-action Akira."

I loved the movie. Deep, fun action and plenty of eye-candy. ;)
    Sid's last TK event immediately invoked memories of Akira. That he's a small child who doesn't know his power, is mindlessly vigilant about what's right and wrong, innocent and fighting back against the injustices of the world around him as he's exposed to them is everything Akira is about.

What's most amazing to me is that there's nothing I can see in Looper that disagree's with Akira. The future world of Looper is right on spot with the socioeconomic battles seen in Akira (although we're less exposed to the high class in Looper), and Looper gets away with being dark and drab in contrast to Akira's colorful artistic-ness simply because it's live action! In fact, there's nothing in Akira that I can think of that disagree's with Looper.

What it boils down to is that Looper is probably the only (and, presumptuously, best) live-action Akira we'll ever see. Why didn't they make the connection!? Let's give it some recognition here!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    This movie was great

• Options
    i found it really disturbing when
    old seth started falling to pieces

• Options
    edited October 2012
    #pipe wrote: »
    Speaking of Evil Dead

here is a friendly reminder that Sam Raimi's Drag Me To Hell (2009) is one of the best horror movies in recent memory.

i went to see it with my girlfriend at the time

and that night in bed she turned and slowly whispered

"Laaaaaaaaamiaaaaaaaaa."

so i stayed up on her pc and watched the sun rise

Beasteh on