As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]New thread is go. We are still doing pretty great at WvW.

• VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Definitely agree that we'll want an arrow cart(s) with cripple to keep them from just running past the ballistas.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Blackgate sure likes to get their boasting in... https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/10-12-Tarnished-Coast-Fort-Aspenwood-Blackgate/page/9#post477107

TL;DR - some BG guy gave FA and TC snarky comment that they are too bored and down about "farming the defeated players" so they haven't played much this week. Commends us on "good sportsmanship" while saying we "stuck with a losing server".

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Question about the Digital Deluxe Upgrade: Are the items you get from it applicable to only one character, or to every character you have/will make?

Specifically wondering about the elite skill that summons the wolf. Do all your present/future chars get that?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    No one can resist a naked @badwrong.

That plan cannot fail.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Question about the Digital Deluxe Upgrade: Are the items you get from it applicable to only one character, or to every character you have/will make?

Specifically wondering about the elite skill that summons the wolf. Do all your present/future chars get that?

Yep, all character get the elite summon, the golem banker, and the heroic band. The Glory and the Influence tome are one time per account use items.

You only get one mini-pet but he can be stored int he bank in the collections tab and all characters can use him.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    @mojojoeo I will agree with Dis (Dys got a name change today?) that you want the ballistas as far back as possible, but leave the arrow carts at the bottleneck. Ballista bolts travel a straight line with a bit of an arc, so any shot coming through the choke point doorway will be doing maximum damage and thus most effective. Any angle to it diminishes its capability by a significant amount.

Arrange the arrow carts with enough space between them to not be vulnerable to AOEs but also close enough to cover eachother from assault of those breaking through (to the other side).

Also, it may not hurt to have a couple catapults firing on the openings as well to knock people back from them. Those you could set up from the side.

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    @mojojoeo finally got around to watching the wvw videos, cool stuff.

What CPU do you have in your machine? Your framerates in big battles are so much better than mine :-/

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    I may offload half of them and open the other half. I intend to get some keys with the gems I'm holding now.

What are they selling for?

Also because I'm terrible can an officer in NICE start the 72 hour magic find bonus for our EU players on FA :D

~~ 30copper.... but as more people become aware that the halloween stuff comes from them it will go up.

Some 500,000 chests were bought up in the past few days. people are hording them for resale or flipping them from thier 2c price a few days ago to the about 30c it is now.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/11q85q/someone_just_bought_500000_black_lion_chests/

Be interesting to watch. Its based on speculation over the Halloween demand.

Man, I just wanted to quote this. This isn't speculation, this is market manipulation. It's brilliant because it's being piggy backed on to a new patch and played off as speculation. That level of manipulation is insane. We're going to start seeing a lot more of it as people get large sums of gold. Being able to turn 100 gold into 110 gold is un-real economic power.

(50000 chests sold at 32c is a 2c profit. That's 100k new copper. That's 10 new gold made out of thin air for that seller. I wish I had thought of it.)

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    man I was making 10 gold a day back before small fangs cratered

damn kids and your fancy market manipulation, back in my day we relied on the consumer's ignorance of the mystic forge!

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I don't think that's right @Anon the Felon because of the selling fee, right? But a flip from 2c to 30c is...

I don't think that's right @Anon the Felon because of the selling fee, right? But a flip from 2c to 30c is...

The selling fee is taken up by the initial 30c sales value. Listing fee's are based of sales price, and a 2c change doesn't cause the listing fee to rise. Chests were always profitable, and by marking up just enough to stay in that listing fee range, you're not incurring additional costs.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Blackgate sure likes to get their boasting in... https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/10-12-Tarnished-Coast-Fort-Aspenwood-Blackgate/page/9#post477107

TL;DR - some BG guy gave FA and TC snarky comment that they are too bored and down about "farming the defeated players" so they haven't played much this week. Commends us on "good sportsmanship" while saying we "stuck with a losing server".

For some reason, reading those kinds of WvW postings makes me think of one word. Negging.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    As time moves on I'm realizing more and more that the hardest part of a legendary is the gat darn gold involved.

So I ask you oh wise Arcadians,

What are some good farming methods?

I'm not looking for some magical get rich scheme just some reliable ways to make money over time. I'm making money now but If I'm going to focus on it I'd rather not spend hours upon hours being inefficient.

The selling fee is taken up by the initial 30c sales value. Listing fee's are based of sales price, and a 2c change doesn't cause the listing fee to rise. Chests were always profitable, and by marking up just enough to stay in that listing fee range, you're not incurring additional costs.

I must be missing something because that doesn't make sense to me. This is why I didn't play EVE and why I don't play the AH for profit!

edited October 2012
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    As time moves on I'm realizing more and more that the hardest part of a legendary is the gat darn gold involved.

I'm not looking for some magical get rich scheme just some reliable ways to make money over time. I'm making money now but If I'm going to focus on it I'd rather not spend hours upon hours being inefficient.

I'd recommend doing a lap around Cursed Shore daily on the days you play. It takes about an hour and makes you maybe 1.5g in resources/drops. You don't need to hit every single resource node (esp the underwater bullshit) but ideally you want to harvest all the Orichalcum, Ancient Wood and Omnomberries, along with the vast majority of Mithril and Elder Wood.

Griswold on
    Griswold wrote: »

I'd recommend doing a lap around Cursed Shore daily on the days you play. It takes about an hour and makes you maybe 1.5g in resources/drops. You don't need to hit every single resource node (esp the underwater bullshit) but ideally you want to harvest all the Orichalcum, Ancient Wood and Omnomberries, along with the vast majority of Mithril and Elder Wood.

Aye, that is one of the ideas I just started doing. It just seems less profitible than it reall is since I can't sell Ori yet. But I just need to tell myself that it is worth it.

Also... Just realized the GW2 Spidy site tells you how to make profit with crafting... and it seems like there are actually some damn good methods in there I shall try out.

I must be missing something because that doesn't make sense to me. This is why I didn't play EVE and why I don't play the AH for profit!

Let me try to explain it, just so that you and others understand and can find opportunities on your own. Because it's not a complicated process.

So the BLC has a vendor value of like 7c or something insignificant like that. They are selling on the player market (AH) for 30c, reliably. This means they are already a profitable product. The listing fee for a BLC is (lets say) 7c. So now, every chest you sell is a 23c sale, and a 16c profit over vendor sales. Some one figured out that the price could be increased by two copper (to 32c) without increasing the listing fee. Since the listing fee is a flat percentage of the sale price, those 2 copper didn't effect it. They were within tolerance, but the market has settled at 30c instead of 32c for some reason.

So, some smart person figured this out. They waited until a "big" patch happened. When that happened they bought up a huge percentage of the supply of BLC's. Making the market think there was a huge demand due to something in the patch. Then, thanks to anonymous selling, this smart person re-listed all these BLC's to make the market think supply was catching up to demand and raising the equilibrium point.

Because demand was thought to be higher, based currently entirely on rumor, equilibrium is thought to be 2c higher. So this smart person is generating money out of thin air as others try to catch his train. Really, anyone who attempts this process now is going to lose money, or at best break even. Market manipulation only works once. Then to many people try to grab on and it craters. I'd honestly expect BLC's to crash down to sub 30c once this is all over.

But a few people are going to get rich off it.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i like how several of us responded to one of those comments

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

Let me try to explain it, just so that you and others understand and can find opportunities on your own. Because it's not a complicated process.

So the BLC has a vendor value of like 7c or something insignificant like that. They are selling on the player market (AH) for 30c, reliably. This means they are already a profitable product. The listing fee for a BLC is (lets say) 7c. So now, every chest you sell is a 23c sale, and a 16c profit over vendor sales. Some one figured out that the price could be increased by two copper (to 32c) without increasing the listing fee. Since the listing fee is a flat percentage of the sale price, those 2 copper didn't effect it. They were within tolerance, but the market has settled at 30c instead of 32c for some reason.

So, some smart person figured this out. They waited until a "big" patch happened. When that happened they bought up a huge percentage of the supply of BLC's. Making the market think there was a huge demand due to something in the patch. Then, thanks to anonymous selling, this smart person re-listed all these BLC's to make the market think supply was catching up to demand and raising the equilibrium point.

Because demand was thought to be higher, based currently entirely on rumor, equilibrium is thought to be 2c higher. So this smart person is generating money out of thin air as others try to catch his train. Really, anyone who attempts this process now is going to lose money, or at best break even. Market manipulation only works once. Then to many people try to grab on and it craters. I'd honestly expect BLC's to crash down to sub 30c once this is all over.

So basically, thus is the equivalent of the office space virus. Hilarious.

• Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    It's not rumour though.
    The Black Lion Chest is getting a spooky upgrade for Halloween. Between October 23 and November 5 each Black Lion Chest you open has a chance to give you one of six exclusive Halloween-themed weapon skins!

From the GW2 Halloween announcement.

steam_sig.png
    Kafka87 wrote: »
    It's not rumour though.
    The Black Lion Chest is getting a spooky upgrade for Halloween. Between October 23 and November 5 each Black Lion Chest you open has a chance to give you one of six exclusive Halloween-themed weapon skins!

From the GW2 Halloween announcement.

Ha! Even better. It's still manipulation, just excruciatingly well timed manipulation. Speculation would have happened before the patch (which probably did happen as well). Considering the type of good the BLC is (it requires two parts to become an actual reward, the chest and the key...and the key market is controlled by Anet), and that the goods you get from them are random and un-tradeable...this is well calculated.

Although, look at the market now. Since some one on Reddit outed this thing, and people noticed it in general, shit went pear-shaped.

• downerdowner Registered User regular
    Yeah, as soon as I read about the Halloween events I bought about 25k chests as low as 6c per. I flipped some and made my money back, still sitting on about 18k.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

So basically, thus is the equivalent of the office space virus. Hilarious.

This is why I'm never going to do anything other than scrape by as I'm saving for items, unless I get obscenely lucky. I just don't think this way. I caught the very end of the tiny -> small flip, which was enough to cover my T1 cultural and my second skillbook, but that was it.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Should we be expecting the value of gems to drop or skyrocket due to demand for keys during the Halloween stuff?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Should we be expecting the value of gems to drop or skyrocket due to demand for keys during the Halloween stuff?

skyrocket probably
    no one is going to convert gems to gold to buy chests
    people will convert gold to gems to buy keys

GONG-00 wrote: »

skyrocket probably
    no one is going to convert gems to gold to buy chests
    people will convert gold to gems to buy keys

So if we have extra gems sitting around that we want to turn into gold waiting until then is probably ideal?

edited October 2012
    Guess I missed out on profiting on chests. But I might just sell the ones I do have from normal game playing assuming prices haven't crashed tonight, and rebuy it later at a cheaper price post-crash.

I think the gem market is a much better investment actually, since the supply of chests greatly outstrips the supply of keys (gems)

Dracil on
    edited October 2012
    Dracil wrote: »
    Guess I missed out on profiting on chests. But I might just sell the ones I do have from normal game playing assuming prices haven't crashed tonight, and rebuy it later at a cheaper price post-crash.

I think the gem market is a much better investment actually, since the supply of chests greatly outstrips the supply of keys (gems)

Isn't there a buffer in place to prevent this sort of currency speculation?

Last I did any sort of conversion, you could trade gold for gems at a rate of 37s --> 100 gems; and trade gems for gold at a rate of 100 gems --> 27s. Even if you expect the price of gems to go up, it'd have to climb pretty far for your investment to beat the vig.

Griswold on
    edited October 2012
    Dunno when you last looked, but when I looked this week, average was 44 and high was 50.

I think the buffer is just the difference between buyers and sellers, and both get traded from impatience on the other side.

I mean, if chests are going up that much, maybe it's possible that gems might hit 1g/100?

Dracil on
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »

I'm level 20 something but haven't even got around to checking how the trade post works or pretty much anything else in the game. I'm still running around like a 5 year old in a toy store, just one event after the next. I have a sense I'm missing out on more than a couple of easy gold coins though.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

There's a 10% fee that's taken out of the sell price in addition to the listing fee. Unless the Wiki and my experience are both wrong, this does not work. If you are buying for 30 and re-listing for 32 you are losing money.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Man, I wish I had the market knowledge you guys do. Would make getting gold easier. :P

I'm probably going to open my 50-something chests, maybe. Depends on what I get from the first few. I'd like some of the new skins, they could be fun.

• TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    I am sure I'll end up buying some keys and opening a few chests, and just like Ender, how many I open depends on the first 5-10. I don't want any more tonics!

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    As early as tonight, I’ll be moving to FA to join CNDY and wanted to offer up my crafting services over the weekend. I’ll make any armor or weapon at cost to any of the CNDY or NICE guildies to support the PA crew. I’m a 400 huntsman/artificer/armorsmith/leatherworker and 375 weaponsmith/tailor.

I’ve compiled a list of what it’ll take for all armor and weapons by type.

Materials and Gear Level by Tier:
    T1: Copper ore, Jute scraps, Rawhide leather, Green wood (level 5-20 gear)
    T2: Iron ore, Wool scraps, Thin leather, Soft wood (level 25-35 gear)
    T3: Iron ore, Cloth scraps, Coarse leather, Seasoned wood (level 40-50 gear)
    T4: Platinum ore, Linen scraps, Rugged leather, Hard wood (level 55-65 gear)
    T5: Mithril ore, Silk scraps, Thick leather, Elder wood (Level 70-80 gear)
    T6: Orichalcum ore, Gossamer scraps, Hardened leather, Ancient wood (Level 80 gear)

Blue items will be levels: 5/10/25/30/40/45/55/60/70/75
    Green items will be levels: 20/35/50/65/80
    Yellow items will be levels: 35/50/65/80
    Orange items will be levels: 80

Blues (Finer crafting materials) and their uses by tier for both weapons and armor:
    In order from T1 to T6:

Bone chip/Bone shard/Bone/Heavy bone/Large bone/Ancient bone: Vital (Vitality), Vigorous (Power/Vitality), Carrion (Condition damage/Power/Vitality)
    Tiny claw/Small claw/Claw/Sharp claw/Large claw/Vicious claw: Precise (Precision), Pillaging (Power/Magic Find), Explorer’s (Magic Find/Power/Precision)
    Tiny fang/Small fang/Fang/Sharp fang/Large fang/Vicious fang: Honed (Power/Critical Damage), Valkyrie (Power/Critical damage/Vitality)
    Tiny scale/Small scale/Scale/Smooth scale/Large scale/Armored scale: Resilient (Toughness), Hearty (Vit/Toughness), Knight’s (Toughness/Power/Precision)
    Tiny totem/Small totem/Totem/Engraved totem/Intricate totem/Elaborate totem: Healing (Healing), Rejuvenating (Healing/Power), Cleric’s (Healing/Power/Toughness)
    Tiny venom sac/Small venom sac/Venom sac/Full venom sac/Potent venom sac/Powerful venom sac: Malign (Condition damage), Ravaging (Condition damage/Precision), Rampager’s (Precision/condition damage/Power)
    Vial of weak blood/Vial of thing blood/Vial of blood/Vial of thick blood/Vial of potent blood/Vial of powerful blood: Mighty (Power), Strong (Power/Precision), Berserker’s (Power/Critical damage/Precision)

Required materials for full sets of armor:
    Full set of Heavy Armor: 32 Orichalcum/Mithril/Platinum/Copper or 48 Iron ore, 14 scraps plus more for the rarity below.
    Full set of Medium armor: 36 leather, 12 scraps plus more for the rarity below.
    Full set of Light armor: 36 scraps, 12 leather plus more for the rarity below.

For Blue (Fine) armor: Add 12 scraps and 18 blues
    For Green (Masterwork) armor: Add 12 scraps, 48 blues and 30 thread
    For Yellow (Rare) armor: Add 24 scraps, 90 blues and 60 thread
    For Orange (Exotic) armor: Add 60 scraps, 30 blues, 30 globs of ectoplasm, 120 thread

Thread costs:
    Jute thread: 80 copper for 10
    Wool thread: 1.6 silver per 10
    Cotton thread: 2.4 silver per 10
    Linen thread: 3.2 silver per 10
    Silk thread: 4.8 silver per 10
    Gossamer thread: 6.4 silver per 10

Required materials for weapons:

These are the basic materials, they will also require a imbued item to create the stats:
    Axe: 6 ore (9 if iron or steel), 6 wood
    Dagger: 10 ore (15 if iron or steel)
    Greatsword: 12 ore (18 if Iron or Steel)
    Hammer: 6 ore (9 if iron or steel), 6 wood
    Mace: 6 ore (9 if iron or steel), 6 wood
    Shield: 8 ore (12 if iron or steel)
    Spear: 6 ore (9 if iron or steel), 6 wood
    Sword: 12 ore (18 if iron or steel)
    Harpoon: 4 ore (6 if iron or steel), 6 wood
    Longbow: 12 wood, 6 leather
    Pistol: 6 ore (9 if iron or steel), 6 wood
    Rifle: 6 ore (9 if iron or steel), 9 wood
    Shortbow: 9 wood, 6 leather
    Torch: 4 ore (6 if iron or steel), 6 wood
    Horn: 4 ore (6 if iron or steel), 6 wood
    Focus: 15 wood
    Scepter: 15 wood
    Staff: 24 wood
    Trident: 4 ore (6 if iron or steel), 6 wood

In addition to the above, add the following based upon rarity:

Blue (Fine): 6 wood, 8 ore (12 if iron or steel) and 3 blues
    Green (Mastercraft): 6 wood, 8 ore (12 if iron or steel) and 8 blues
    Yellow (Rare): 12 wood, 12 ore (18 if iron or steel) and 15 blues
    Orange (Exotic): 30 ore, 30 wood, 5 globs of ectoplasm and 5 blues

I figure most everyone can craft their own stuff, but some folks might find real use in such an offer, so I wanted to put this out there. I might ask for messages here first, since my mailbox has some stuff in it already and I think we're limited to 10 mail items from other players or some such.

Ardor on
    I want to know what 6 weapons got picked for the special skins.

I also want to know why only 6 got picked... ; ;

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular

Maybe we're able to use our imagination. For example, they have that nice chainsaw icon next to the weapon skin announcement. Maybe you can transform any weapon to look like that! Chainsaw longbow, Chainsaw rifle, Chainsaw torch.

I think armor would've been fun. Weapons are pretty cool, but I think they could've gone a longer way with different armor skins. From awesome to humorous.

Like, let the guild bunker guardians transmute some armor so they look like teletubbies or something. They'll be the number 1 target without hesitation on the battlefield. Who needs a taunt skill?

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Sword, Greatsword, staff, dagger, axe, and rifle would be my guesses. Apparently, one of the skins is a chainsaw so perhaps a double barreled shotgun type design for the rifle?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Ardor wrote: »

Maybe we're able to use our imagination. For example, they have that nice chainsaw icon next to the weapon skin announcement. Maybe you can transform any weapon to look like that! Chainsaw longbow, Chainsaw rifle, Chainsaw torch.

I think armor would've been fun. Weapons are pretty cool, but I think they could've gone a longer way with different armor skins. From awesome to humorous.

Like, let the guild bunker guardians transmute some armor so they look like teletubbies or something. They'll be the number 1 target without hesitation on the battlefield. Who needs a taunt skill?

Well there will be costumes so that covers the character outfit part.

Maybe they will be multi-use.. but I doubt it.

So the chainsaw pic is almost definitely a GS. So that just leaves 5 more weapon types.. hmmm...

This conversation reminds me of a board game I played where weapon cards could be combined for effect.

So like, a chainsaw that had mean cleavers for teeth. Or like, a Tommy Gun that shoots spears. Best weapon in that game? A revolver that fired Tommy Guns, that then shoot chainsaws teethed with katanas and cleavers. But the revolver is still normal sized of course; it would be silly otherwise.

edited October 2012
    GW2 Plans for the weekend:

-Get WS to 400 and see if you can actually make money with crafting

-WUVWUVWUVWUV

EDIT:

For those who played GW1, how do you think these halloween events will go down? Will they be like DE style things? Or would they be like story event quests?

DemonStacey on
This discussion has been closed.