As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[12 YEARS LTTP] Chrono Trigger

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Chrono Trigger

CTmeetmagus.JPG

CTsceneforest.JPG

ChronoTriggerInside.PNG

Obligatory Wikipedia Excerpt!
Wikipedia wrote:
Chrono Trigger is a console role-playing game developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game console. It was first released on March 11, 1995 in Japan and on August 22, 1995 in North America. The game's story follows a group of young adventurers who are accidentally transported through time and learn that the world will be destroyed in the distant future. Vowing to prevent this disaster, they travel throughout history to discover the means to save the planet.

Chrono Trigger was developed by a group called the "Dream Team" or "Dream Project" consisting of Hironobu Sakaguchi, Kazuhiko Aoki and composer Nobuo Uematsu, known for their works on the Final Fantasy series, and Yuuji Horii and artist Akira Toriyama, known for their works on the Dragon Quest series.

At the time of its release, certain aspects of Chrono Trigger were seen as revolutionary — including multiple endings, plot-related sidequests focused on character development, unique battle system, and detailed graphics.

So yeah. Twelve years, at least ten of which I've been hearing amazing things about this game. I haven't seen any stores around here selling the damn game, and even if they did, I wasn't sure if I'd be prepared to fork over $100 for it.

Enter Final Fantasy Chronicles. I had heard horrible things about the load times, but I decided to risk it and buy it for $15, new. The loading times were pretty bad at first, but now the "Disc Speed" option of my PS2 has finally come into use, shaving seconds off of the menu load times and making the game bearable. And so far (and I'm only a few hours in), this is one of the most enjoyable damn games I've played. Crisp graphics, incredible soundtrack, love how encounters are set up, and I fucking love the Tech system. The story seems to be interesting so far, and I can't wait to get further into it.

Just thought I'd share because I know this forum has to have some die-hard CT fans. I figure I'll be one by the time I'm done. Discuss this genius game.

UnbreakableVow on

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CT is awesome. I essentially got a 98 in my gr. 11 web animation class for playing Chrono Trigger, because that's all I did. The techs are so great, I wish they would implement stuff like that in more JRPGs.

CT is definitely my favourite non-FF RPG, and my 2nd favourite RPG ever (first is FFVII).

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You could make a solid case for Chrono Trigger as the best RPG ever made, if not the best game. I've played this game so many times, and I have yet to find an actual flaw. The only RPG I feel really stands up next to CT in my opinion would be FFVI. Other than that... no contest.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Honestly, if you asked me to name anything wrong with CT I wouldn't be able to. There are certain elements that I don't necessarily like as much as in some other games (for example, I don't think CT's soundtrack is as good as FFVII's), but really, there's nothing at all wrong with it. It's so incredibly solid and polished. It's just like everything clicked perfectly for the dev team and they all brought their A-game. No rushing to half-ass a sequel or anything.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I missed out on this on the SNES so I got the FF Chronicles and I played the first couple hours I was in the jungle I believe gettin' raped by the toads and things in there. I stopped playing because the load time of going to the menu was retarded.

I then played through most of the game on my pc and then just stopped. I never knew that the PS2 loaded PS1 games faster....

... I think I'm gonna start playing Chrono Trigger again when I'm off work :D

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    You could make a solid case for Chrono Trigger as the best RPG ever made, if not the best game. I've played this game so many times, and I have yet to find an actual flaw. The only RPG I feel really stands up next to CT in my opinion would be FFVI. Other than that... no contest.

This is exactly correct in every way. I concurr absolutely.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I missed out on this on the SNES so I got the FF Chronicles and I played the first couple hours I was in the jungle I believe gettin' raped by the toads and things in there. I stopped playing because the load time of going to the menu was retarded.

I then played through most of the game on my pc and then just stopped. I never knew that the PS2 loaded PS1 games faster....

... I think I'm gonna start playing Chrono Trigger again when I'm off work :D

When you start up your PS2, go to the browser, hit Triangle to go to the PlayStation driver options, and you'll see something like Disc Speed Standard there. Change Standard to Fast. I heard it glitches some games but this has been running A-OK.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oddly enough, I was listening to the OST today.

This game is definitely my favorite RPG as well. I just hope that all the nitty gritty details can be worked out with Square and we'll see it on the Virtual Console some day.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    By the way, anyone who considers themselves a Chrono Trigger fan has to go to this website if they haven't been already. Now!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    ThatSkaRobotThatSkaRobot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    beautiful game.

That's really all I can say about it. Not many games age as well as Chrono Trigger has.

ThatSkaRobot on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    By the way, anyone who considers themselves a Chrono Trigger fan has to go to this website if they haven't been already. Now!

I was assuming that that site was going to be Chrono Ressurection website before I actualy checked it.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Uhh, wow. I played most of Chrono Trigger, and liked it a lot, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is without flaw. That's a little....much. Still a classic though.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love this game. So ahead of its time. I just really, really, really want a re-release of some kind. The PS1 port is horrendous.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I enjoy Chrono Trigger, but I will never, ever understand people who say it's "flawless" or the greatest game ever made. Perhaps the best JRPG, but anything else seems a bit hyperbolic.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know what's really cool?

Them horseless carriages.

Strato on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love this game like it's my own son.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The great thing about calling a game the best game ever? It's an opinion. I know quite a few people who think Chrono Trigger is the best game ever made. They are right. I know someone who thinks Shaq-Fu is the greatest game ever. He is also right.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The great thing about calling a game the best game ever? It's an opinion. I know quite a few people who think Chrono Trigger is the best game ever made. They are right. I know someone who thinks Shaq-Fu is the greatest game ever. He is also right.

Ding ding ding!

Evangir on
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A GBA/DS port of Chrono Trigger would be amazing!

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    A GBA/DS port of Chrono Trigger would be amazing!

I agree. I wonder though if it will be a port or a 3d remake. We already know how well this style transitions to 3D (DQ VIII=pretty damn good looking) so that could be interesting. Of course, it would quite a few people dissapointed, as this game works so damn well in 2D.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I missed out on the game when it first came out because I had lost interest in gaming. I finally bought Final Fantasy Chronicles about 3 years ago so I could finally play Chrono Trigger.

It's still sitting in its shrinkwrap, just waiting to be played. I've been wary to play the PS1 port, although if the PS2 disc speed feature really does make it more bearable, maybe I'll dig it out sometime soon.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So, uh...since Square is supposedly "with everyone" now (even though Sony gets FF games and MS gets...Project SylpheeD), why aren't we seeing a port of CT or classic FFs on XBLA? I'm still playing CT as I'm typing, but CT with Achievements and better load times...*drool*

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

You had me, then you lost me. Not to fire up a debate on the nature of opinion, but some are more valid than others. And there are some thoughts that should be crimes (Shaq-Fu = great, The Clash sucks, Family Matters > Perfect Strangers).

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    It's still sitting in its shrinkwrap, just waiting to be played. I've been wary to play the PS1 port, although if the PS2 disc speed feature really does make it more bearable, maybe I'll dig it out sometime soon.

The menu load isn't instantaneous. Try this: Play it without the improved loading. Then play it with. The difference in seconds is huge. Though I imagine if I played the SNES original, I'd still be moaning.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    CT with loadtimes? Oh, you must be playing the inferior version...

As to why CT isn't on the XBLA there are really two good reasons. One, there are very few Japanese developed older games on the XBLA right now. Bomberman, Turtles, Contra and a few others I am forgetting. This doesn't mean it couldn't change but if SE were to start going heavily for digital distribution of its back catalog it would probably be with Nintendo or Sony. The second reason is a bit more troubling. An an interview about why FF wasn't on the Virtual Console, they said something along the lines of people wanting the physical game and manual or some such nonsense.

Actraiser has come out on the VC though, so its not known whether it is limited to just FF games.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

This is probably kind of a nitpick, but I think saying something is the best game ever is a bit less subjective than saying something is your favorite game ever.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Its personally my favorite game, and the standard to which all RPGs are judged. Even the high end high production value FF ones. None have matched it in my eyes, save for Tactics, but that's a completely different animal.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    edited July 2007
    But why is it the standard?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »

This is probably kind of a nitpick, but I think saying something is the best game ever is a bit less subjective than saying something is your favorite game ever.

I know I was going to get in trouble when I said this but I absolutely had to put in the fact that I know someone who has Shaq-Fu as the best game ever. It is his favorite game ever as well. Some people, like myself, make a distinction between the two. Other people think that their favorite game is in fact the best game ever. Again, both are right.

Seriously though, I know someone who really likes Shaq Fu. Has at least two copies of the game.

Chrono Trigger time then.

The PS2 loads much faster with the option on. It also has messed up audio in one or two of the cutscenes. The really noticable difference between the PSX and SNES versions are the loadtimes and the audio. The audio, while not quite as off as FF V and FF VI is another example of how it is pretty much impossible to emulate the SNES sound chip. No port of any SNES game gets away with a perfect audio version.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

i am calling shenanigans on this

shenanigans.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What I wouldn't give for a VC/Xbox Live/DS Port of this game..
    Definitely one of my favourite Snes memories

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    exist wrote: »

i am calling shenanigans on this

shenanigans.

It is very hard for me to accept it. He may be playing me for a fool, but seriously the dude loves Shaq Fu. He has two copies. He can beat the game pretty much without ever getting hit.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But why is it the standard?

Best way I can put it is it flawlessly put together pretty much every genre in RPG imaginable in a way that was not overtedious or boring. It had everything from the stereotypical jail break, the end of the world, the crazy steam punk madness, the awesome medievil duels, and interwove them like it was childs play. The characters were so well defined and easy to relate to. Everything from Robo's tragic history to Frog's quest for forgiveness and redemption. Hell, even the side characters were memorable. To this day Cyrus is a name that brings a sniffle to me.

And the villains...my god. Not since Algus have I hated someone like I did Magus. But even then, he had a backstory, and a tragic one at that.

Its the standard, I think, because of the many dimensions it brings, and how well it was executed.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    It is very hard for me to accept it. He may be playing me for a fool, but seriously the dude loves Shaq Fu. He has two copies. He can beat the game pretty much without ever getting hit.

Shaq Fu may not be good, but I can think of a ton of worse games (hell, even worse fighting games) so your friend's opinion doesn't bother me much.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh god I love this game dearly.

The Magus battle theme gives me fucking goosebumps.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chrono Trigger is easily my favorite RPG ever. Every game of the genre implicitly draws comparison to this game, in my eye. It is perfection in every way, to me.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It had everything from the stereotypical jail break

Even stealth! I loved sneaking up and offing the guards instead of getting into battles like other jail break sequences.

Anyone have an estimate on how long this game is?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It had everything from the stereotypical jail break

Even stealth! I loved sneaking up and offing the guards instead of getting into battles like other jail break sequences.

Anyone have an estimate on how long this game is?

First run through? Depends on how much of a sidequest nut you are. I'd estimate a solid 40.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only single RPG I love more than Chrono Trigger is Fallout 2. Chrono Trigger is fantastic. It's awesome. It's just... too good. The fact that it exists proves that if there's a god, he's a gamer.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    First run through 40-50 hours, easy, if you're a thorough gamer.

Getting all the endings...?

A hwhile.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Perfect game.

I had all the endings, and all lvl 99 characters complete game...then my cart wiped its memory. I can still save on it, but the saves only last for around 6 months.

Oh, and the soundtrack is incredible.

Perfect game.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433