As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Morrowind

YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
Ok, fine, no crazy acronym:
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
morrowind.jpg
So, on the advice of some forumers here, I picked up Morrowind for cheap off Ebay. Damn, it's fun. Let's look at why:

The Plot:
Ehh, not so much, really. The main quest of the game is so far not terribly interesting, and is wholly unnecessary for your enjoyment of the game. Note! I have received advice suggesting not to badmouth the plot until I get further. This warning is duly noted. You're a prisoner, released by personal order of the Emperor into the island of Vvardenfell, in the eastern province of Morrowind. You have access to the small frozen island Solstheim to the west (which is a terrible place, as every NPC will be happy to tell you) in the expansion Bloodmoon.
4b5859b3e6.png
You are here. And there, too, if you shell out more cash.

(Why isn't the game called Vvardenfell? Morrowind rolls off the tongue much nicer. See: Oblivion, rather than Cyrodiil) You're the newest member of the Blades, the Emperor's Secret Service, and are sent to investigate rumors of [very light spoilers start here] ancient evils stirring in Vvardenfell's central volcano, the long-lost Sixth Ruling House rising again, and an ancient prophecy of the coming messiah of the native Dunmer (Dark Elves). Along the way, you begin to suspect that-- GASP! You're not just some random criminal the Emperor picked out of a hat! No wai! Didn't see that coming! :P

Anyway, the plot isn't very important. Skip it entirely if you like, and let's get to the real points of the game: Your character, and the world.

The Character:
Morrow_1s.JPG
One possible warrior, out of hundreds.
Here we go. You have an unprecedented (though easily surpassed by Oblivion) amount of control over your character's appearance, class and role. You can play as either sex of any of the game's seven races and choose from several faces and hair types (and many more with mods). Then you define your class, either through a barrage of moral questions to pick the class most suited to your alignment; picking straight from a list; or defining your own by picking the skills that you favor.

My character is a Bosmer (Wood-elf) Assassin, skilled with the bow and shortblade. I pick locks for a living, and will steal anything that's currently unsupervised and has a good value-to-weight ratio (At least 4:1 for optimal loot). This has served me rather well: I'm over 5000 septims at the moment, and I estimate an honest character would have under a tenth of that. Of course, my Thieves' Guild missions have taken players' rampant kleptomania into account when picking quest rewards.

So, fantastic. But a custom hero's nothing without a world to loo-- er, save. Which brings us to:

The World:
Morrowind3.jpgmorrowind-3.jpg
Two of the many, many places you can explore. On the left is my current home turf, Balmora.

The world of Vvardenfell is without a doubt the reason you've signed up. At over 6 square miles of hand-rendered terrain (the random generation of Daggerfall was criticized as too repetitive), Vvardenfell takes hours to walk across by foot. (Your walking speed is really slow, which helps) On this island, you will find ancient, abandoned ruins; massive cities holding hundreds of NPCs; deep lakes; twisted, blackened fields; and one big honkin' volcano. I've been playing the game for three days now, and have been to maybe 1/20 of the world map. This even isn't counting the vast caverns dotting the map, only one of which I've really explored at the moment. There is so much to see, it overwhelms the imagination.

But size is nothing without detail. And this is Morrowind's crowning achievement: Every square foot of the game world is packed with it. From the hundreds of unique items; to the thousands of NPCs, many with a name and unique things to say; to the ~300 books (of which many give a stat boost, cleverly encouraging you to be lost in the imagined history of the world), it seems impossible that anyone could see everything there is in the game. With all this detail, Morrowind seems like a real world that you visit (and more importantly rob blind), not contained on a disc and loaded onto your computer. This game blows me away, and I can see myself spending many hours within.

The Mods:
One of the things I like most about the game is the ease with which you can mod it. Here's a partial list of my mods, all of which can be found here. To download, you unfortunately have to sign up with fileplanet, sorry about that.

-Better Bodies, Better Heads, Better Beasts: Probably my favorite mods so far. They replace all the fugly original character models with sleek new ones. This makes the game look so much nicer, it isn't funny.

-Marksman: Makes long range combat better. Raises the hit rate to a more acceptable level (not acceptable, but closer), and adds badass ranged weapons all over the world. I wanted it as an archer, you might not.

-Morrowind Comes Alive: Adds around a thousand NPCs to the world, some of which can be persuaded to join you on your quest. Some funny ones, too: I met "Eowyn" on the balcony of the Vivec Foreign Quarter. I can't imagine playing without this mod.

-GIANTS: Adds a variety of enemies to the world. Not sure if I've met any yet, they seem to be really strong ones for the later game.

-Animal Realism: Yay for semi-realistic animals! Yes, now wildlife in Vvardenfell mostly obeys "live and let live." If you don't attack them, they won't bother you. Some exceptions, including the *nix-hounds (way too easy to make that joke) and everyone's favorite pterodactyl: the cliff racer. Makes the world a bit less annoying and a bit more realistic.

-Cait's Creatures: Adds farm animals for that extra dose of realism. I'd download the Wilderness mod, which has even more types, but I've heard bad things about the quality of the models. Cait's look ace.

-Where Have All the Birds Gone: Adds birds. Pretty self-explanatory. Adds some more life to the world.

-Water Life: Like Birds, but underwater. I laughed when I noticed a group of Regal Tangs.

-Leveled List Merger: Syncs all of your mods so that their leveled lists (scripts based on your level) are aligned. Just makes extra sure all the mods are compatible.

That's all I got for now. I'm runnning some more, like a couple of werewolf mods for realism and some inventory icon changes, but this list is a good set of mods to totally revitalize the game. Well worth checking out.

More to come later, like shots of my character in my awesome looted Dark Brotherhood outfit and Exquisite Robe. For now: more images!
Morrowind2.jpgbloodmoon_pc_2.jpg
On the left: Morrowind has spectacular atmospheric effects. Right: BEARS! This shot's from Bloodmoon.
morrowind_gameplay_ss.jpgMorrowind_The_Elder_Scrolls_3_B02.jpg
Left: A peaceful pastoral community. About to be burgled so hard, they'll wake up with kidneys missing. Right: A silt strider, one of the best ways to get around Vvardenfell quickly. No, you can't buy strider armor. Sorry.

camo_sig2.png
YesNoMu on

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What's the acronym mean?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I demand an explanation for all the acronyms in the thread title

DesertBox on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    he explained the acronym at the top of the post.

i want to cast "die in a fire" on him.

(also, i want to play morrowind some time)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, it's the worst take on late to the party ever. Ok then.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Oh, it's the worst take on late to the party ever. Ok then.

Jesus, I thought something in the forums had fucked up and it was some kind of code. :D Though now I get it, and it's funny.

Also, you're making me want to dig up my old Morrowind cd, you bastard.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would love to play Morrowind again.

I wonder how it'd run on a virtual machine....

yalborap on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So many hours...gone...

bruin on
  • Options
    Terror&HubrisTerror&Hubris Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The main quest is actually pretty interesting if you dig a little. Do some reading...

Terror&Hubris on
    This game can't make my TV bigger?
    Sadly, no... But here's a list of what you will get out of Rock Band:

[too much to fit in a sig, thats what]
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oblivion was such a letdown.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    tell me about it.

Terror&Hubris on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What the hell is wrong with this thread's title :lol:

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oblivion was such a letdown.

Oblivion's only true flaw, in my eyes, is how severely they weakened enchantment. Make me have to be the uber-badass-supreme-mofo to make a ring that gives me back 10 health every second, but don't just say "Nope, can't do that". That's retarded.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    oblivion was just a big pretty pile of generic western-european themed fantasy lite. Morrowind had a sense of atmosphere that I have never seen matched, except maybe by some of the truly classic CRPGs.

Terror&Hubris on

• Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was disappointed in the lack of bad-ass loot in Oblivion. Some people claimed that the fact that you could find and use ultra-high level equipment at level one in Morrowind un-balanced the game, but I liked that most of all. You could beat that game in 7 minutes if you tried hard enough.

Food on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, does anyone have a list of all those needed mods that don't affect gameplay much or at all, but still make the game better? Stuff like graphics-improvements and the like.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One of the things I loved most about Morrowind was that whenever I started a new game, there was always a place to visit where I've never been to before. Naturally I created dozens of new characters, each time starting in another town to discover and do all the sidequests. I never once cared about the main quest, I just wandered around Morrorwind and helped wherever my strong arm was needed. And I loved the sandbox-style nature of the game, some my best memories are those when I became a bloodthirsty werewolf and terrorized peaceful merchants and villagers. And then one time I decided to jump over the barrier and killed all but one Daggoth (because I hadn't finished the mainquest line) in just one night.

Oblivion was, I dunno, I just didn't like the gaming world in which it takes place, it reall feels bland and uninspired. Also, I didn't like that the world was smaller then Morrowind (which is supposedly much smaller then Cyrodill, check the map), that it was so empty and there was just nothing to discover outside of the towns, and other thing that added up like the new travel system or the underwhelming combat system (which HAS noticeably improved from Morrorwind though).

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Look around Morrowind mod sites for Better Heads and Better Bodies. (Generally if you want the beast races to look better they have their own seperate mods.) That's the biggest thing. Otherwise just look into the highest rated mods. Atmospheric improvements, like birds and bird sounds, marine life, book jackets.

If you have a powerful computer, try to find the infinite draw distance mod...which I can't find right now. It's complicated to get running but really neat to see.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Oh, does anyone have a list of all those needed mods that don't affect gameplay much or at all, but still make the game better? Stuff like graphics-improvements and the like.

http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also, I didn't like that the world was smaller then Morrowind (which is supposedly much smaller then Cyrodill, check the map)

Um, I'm pretty sure Oblivion was quite a bit larger than Morrowind. Fast Travel makes it feel smaller.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also, I didn't like that the world was smaller then Morrowind (which is supposedly much smaller then Cyrodill, check the map)

Um, I'm pretty sure Oblivion was quite a bit larger than Morrowind. Fast Travel makes it feel smaller.

I believe someone actually timed it, and it was quite obvious that one would take longer, walking/flying at the same pace, to get across Morrowind's world than Oblivion's. Which means either some scale shifting is going on here, or Cyrodiil is the fabled home of giants.

yalborap on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One of the few things i hate with Morrowind is the ass-backwards leveling system. And those damn cliff-racers (this is easily fixd with a minor mod you make yourself, just erase/change their item-id under global-tag/parameter iirc).

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I recall people commenting about the devs saying that oblivions world would be smaller than morrowinds.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know what I really miss about Morrowind? The distinctly different look to the architecture of each city and town. From the Viking-alike wooden buildings on Solstheim to the desert city (can't remember it's name), to the unique heights of Vivec, it blows Oblivion, by comparison, out of the water. While there is some difference between say, Chorrol and Bruma, or Leyawin even, they're not different enough... and it's even more annoying that the cathedral in each city looks exactly the same. No variation at all, it's the same building, copied and pasted into other cities. The city walls all look the same, too, with the only difference the logo of the ruling house on the city gates.

Godammit, Bethesda.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was going to make a lets play for this, but each character has a 20% survival rate past Seyda Neen for me (that is, 20% chance that I wont go, "no wait, what if I was a Breton!" and start over), and making a lets play thread was very hard.

piL on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So, I'm trying to download some of the mods for Morrowind.

Jesus fuck, did Fileplanet get even WORSE? I apparently can no longer download a file off a free server.

...Don't suppose one of you fellows has Better Heads and Combat Enhanced and can toss 'em my way so I can actually play this thing?

yalborap on
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I do so hate the combat system, even with combat advanced. Which is why I stick to magic, which always hits. I hate having to choose between traveling quickly (and draining stamina) or fighting effectively (and taking hours to get to my destination).

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    I do so hate the combat system, even with combat advanced. Which is why I stick to magic, which always hits. I hate having to choose between traveling quickly (and draining stamina) or fighting effectively (and taking hours to get to my destination).

Does combat enhanced not fix that whole randomly-not-hitting thing that Morrowind has?

yalborap on
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not entirely. It makes it more forgiving, though. And adds a few things I never really understood how to use.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »

The Plot:
    Ehh, not so much, really. The main quest of the game is so far not terribly interesting,

:x

LIES

The storyline of the main quest is one of the very best aspects of this game. If you take everything at face value, sure it seems pretty like formulaic "become the hero, kill the bad guy". But if you dig a little deeper into the story, you find that not everything you're being told is the truth.

The beauty of Morrowind's story is that so much of the background history is unreliable. There are so many conflicting accounts and parties who are very interested and willing to say whatever it takes to make you do what they need done.

It's perfect for such an open-ended game, because it lets you interpret the story any way that pleases you:

Are you doing the main quest as an Imperial Agent, hoping to undermine the Tribunal in an effort to expand Imperial authority?
    Are you the prophesied reincarnation of an ancient hero, returned to the land to destroy evil?
    Are you a pawn of the Daedra, sent to destroy the false gods of the Tribunal?
    Are you a pawn of the Tribunal, sent to destroy the last remaining witness of Nerevar's murder?
    Are you all of the above?

There are so many ways to look at why your character is doing what he's doing, all supported by different facets of the in-game story.

If you play Morrowind completely ignorant of the story, you're really missing out. Don't play it expecting things like cutscenes, romances, witty banter and good choice/evil choices like a Bioware game. Morrowind has those things, but not in the same way. Instead of giving you your story, it gives the world a story and lets you make up your own.

Take the time to dig a little deeper. Read every piece of information that is given to you in the main quest.

edited for spoilers since OP hasn't played it yet

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok, ok, you guys. Geez, I try a new acronym, blows up in my face.

And I get the message! I'll get further on the main quest before I go criticizing its plot. :D

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    HtR-Laser wrote: »

Potions!

Also, the OP mentioned that non-sneaky characters wouldn't have 5000 gold yet, but I feel I should mention alchemy: the portal to infinite money and super stacked stats!

edit:
    Re: Hambone

What I like about the Morrowind story is that it is the quintessential interactive story. There's a lot of strangeness and neatness going on, but if something below the surface is to be revealed to you, it isn't through its action, but rather through your own action (as opposed to most games where anything important is revealed to you along your set patch etc or in other media where you're told by the author what to know, and you have to search for subtext meanings. Not trying to say this is superior to literature with subtext, I just mean that it's delightfully different than the standard)

Edit2: Also, hooray for subtlety in storytelling.

piL on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    piL wrote: »
    Also, the OP mentioned that non-sneaky characters wouldn't have 5000 gold yet, but I feel I should mention alchemy: the portal to infinite money and super stacked stats!
    Alchemy is something I definitely need to try out. Haven't done a bit. Do I need all that expensive equipment I stole like the mortar and pestle and crucible-things?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    piL wrote: »
    Alchemy is something I definitely need to try out. Haven't done a bit. Do I need all that expensive equipment I stole like the mortar and pestle and crucible-things?

To work the skill up, just the mortar and pestle, and it is the most important part. Gun for a masters or grandmasters ASAP! The other stuff enhances the potions in different ways. Some vendors will instantly restock, and your potions will be worth more than the two ingredients required, meaning you can buy a ton of mats, make stuff, sell the potions (I ran out of people to sell too eventually), and generate money that way. It's very easily a game-breaking skill which sort of saddens me, but oh well.

piL on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know I have an old disk of this for computer sitting around somewhere. I enjoyed it on the XBox, and ended up wanting to try out some of the mods, but never got around to installing it.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    ZtribalZtribal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The random no hit irks me in this game, but it is no where near as frustrating as the system in Oblivion. My favorite thing about Morrowind was screwing around. But no... it'll fuck you right up the ass in Oblivion.

My first character in Oblivion was being raped by trolls. Now I underlevel my characters... now theres no loot...

I love Morrowind though. I think I'll play that now instead. I have this one character where I just filled that one guys house in Balmora with awesome loot. And skooma.

Ztribal on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    SimBen wrote: »
    Nobody in Spain complained about RE4, but that's just because RE4 was a completely realistic and fair portrayal of Spaniards.

Whenever a tentacle monster burst out of someone's head, my brother and I would exclaim "Oh, those crazy Spaniards!"

sig.gif
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I liked that exploration in Morrowind constantly had an undertone of danger. You could walk into a dungeon and be instantly killed by something, so you had to proceed cautiously. This, of course, is completely absent from Oblivion, which is why the two are completely uncomparable. I'm hoping the Morrowind remake with the Oblivion engine that I've heard about eventually gets finished.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    hambone wrote: »

The Plot:
    Ehh, not so much, really. The main quest of the game is so far not terribly interesting,

:x

LIES

The storyline of the main quest is one of the very best aspects of this game. If you take everything at face value, sure it seems pretty like formulaic "become the hero, kill the bad guy". But if you dig a little deeper into the story, you find that not everything you're being told is the truth.

The beauty of Morrowind's story is that so much of the background history is unreliable. There are so many conflicting accounts and parties who are very interested and willing to say whatever it takes to make you do what they need done.

It's perfect for such an open-ended game, because it lets you interpret the story any way that pleases you:

Are you doing the main quest as an Imperial Agent, hoping to undermine the Tribunal in an effort to expand Imperial authority?
    Are you the prophesied reincarnation of an ancient hero, returned to the land to destroy evil?
    Are you a pawn of the Daedra, sent to destroy the false gods of the Tribunal?
    Are you a pawn of the Tribunal, sent to destroy the last remaining witness of Nerevar's murder?
    Are you all of the above?

There are so many ways to look at why your character is doing what he's doing, all supported by different facets of the in-game story.

If you play Morrowind completely ignorant of the story, you're really missing out. Don't play it expecting things like cutscenes, romances, witty banter and good choice/evil choices like a Bioware game. Morrowind has those things, but not in the same way. Instead of giving you your story, it gives the world a story and lets you make up your own.

Take the time to dig a little deeper. Read every piece of information that is given to you in the main quest.

edited for spoilers since OP hasn't played it yet
    It would have been nice if you could side with Dagoth Ur, though. I mean, it was set right up for you! Surely somebody must have made a good mod for that by now? Anybody have any links?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well great. Morrowind refuses to run on my virtual machine.

Dammit all.

yalborap on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's a Sixth House mod that came out a couple years ago that's supposed to be pretty decent, but it might have gotten bloated with stupid crap and generic villainy. I never played with it so I can't vouch for it one way or the other.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There is a mod I remember playing, I don't know the name but if I could find it again (or if you gents remember the name for me), I'd go back to playing Morrowind. It featured the biggest castle I have ever seen in the game, I remember it was so big the mod made the game chug on my what was then a very powerful system. I remember exploring it, my jaw having long ago dropped to the floor at the sheer size of this castle... it was just immense. You couldn't see the middle of the castle through the game's fog, never mind looking from one end to another...

I think this castle was ruled by a woman. All I remember is the size of it - there was literally no space left on the island itself. I think it had a jetty, too.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
This discussion has been closed.