As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a good keyboard for gaming.

DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Okay, my laptop is kicking the bucket so I've been using my girlfriend's computer to play games.

Her keyboard ghosts like a motherfucker. You know when you're pressing too many keys at once and it will beep and not recognize them all? That's ghosting.

Her keyboard will ghost if I try holding down W, D, and left shift at the same time. Think about what this means, if left shift is the "run" key.

So I need something better. Should I get one of those Nostromo (or similar) thingys, where you just get a bunch of buttons for your left hand? Or a whole new keyboard? And which one? Spending limit is like $30, maybe a bit more if it's really good, so don't break the bank (it's a goddamn keyboard, after all). I already have a good mouse.

Daedalus on

• Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From what I know (or I can just be spouting BS, since I realize ghosting is more to do with the 'circuitry' layer under the keys), USB keyboards don't have this ghosting problem. Well, my cheap £7 one doesn't. I can play DJMAX just fine with it.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've got some sort of Zboard that I can't seem to find on any websites, but it's basically a keyboard with an extra end for games. It's not like the ones you see on the manufacturers site.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought Zboards sucked real hard and were very flimsy.

I just use a PS2 port Keyboard. I really ought to replace it as I have replaced about 4 mice during this keyboards lifetime....

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I just use a PS2 port Keyboard. I really ought to replace it as I have replaced about 4 mice during this keyboards lifetime....
    Not the one I got.

I just can't find the same model anywhere.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I use a Logitech G11. Works great.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Airan wrote: »
    From what I know (or I can just be spouting BS, since I realize ghosting is more to do with the 'circuitry' layer under the keys), USB keyboards don't have this ghosting problem. Well, my cheap £7 one doesn't. I can play DJMAX just fine with it.
    That is true. You can probably get a decent USB keyboard for under $20. Keyboards get too gross to get attached to. People should really be swapping them out every 6 months.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Not the one I got.

You mean this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823161019&Tpk=MERC

?

I hear its drivers suck for Vista, but fuck it, I'm going to be using XP for a while yet. Maybe I'll look into it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Not the one I got.

You mean this one:

?

I hear its drivers suck for Vista, but fuck it, I'm going to be using XP for a while yet. Maybe I'll look into it.
    Yeah, that's the one. Slightly different, but that's just the logo.

Also, you seem like a PC gamer. What exactly is the Panic button for?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Not the one I got.

You mean this one:

?

Yeah, that's the one. Slightly different, but that's just the logo.

Also, you seem like a PC gamer. What exactly is the Panic button for?
    The internet?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I use a Saitek Eclipse SE, and i really like it. The backlighting is really nice for when I am playing in the dark, and i need to check some of my keys.

It is a bigger keyboard than alot of the ones that my friends have, though.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Why do you need to know where the keys are? You people make me sick, you and your backlit keyboards. A real PC man knows his keyboard upside down!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just about anything from Logitech will do the job. These guys have been making keyboards and mice for years. There stuff has never let me down.

Koekjes on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If I am going to bind keys, and I dont want to fuck up. It helps for quick glances too, or if there is a key in a game i am not used to hitting, like a command menu, like in CSS or RO.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From what I know (or I can just be spouting BS, since I realize ghosting is more to do with the 'circuitry' layer under the keys), USB keyboards don't have this ghosting problem.
    Incorrect. All keyboards of traditional design have ghosting. Some are better than others but they all have it to some degree. Usually it's somewhere between 2-5 keys at once in a given area.

Azio on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why do you need to know where the keys are? You people make me sick, you and your backlit keyboards. A real PC man knows his keyboard upside down!
    You must mean the Das Keyboard.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    You must mean the Das Keyboard.

That may be too extreme as you may forget where the { key is or the Print Screen button as all keyboards are a bit different, but you get my point. Keyboards need not be pretty as they are not what you will look at. So functionality > looks in this case.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This isn't exactly what comes to mind when you think "gaming keyboard" but at 8 bucks I personally like it more than the Saitek Eclipse ones or even that fancy Logitech diNuvo one. Keyboards, like mice, are kind of a personal thing; it depends on the person typing as much as it does the keyboard. As long as you get some good brand, like Logitech or something, you won't have to worry about keys not working great or response times or anything, so it's just a question of whether it feels good or not.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like the Saitek Eclipse and Eclipse 2. Simple, functional, reliable, and it glows :P

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    That is true. You can probably get a decent USB keyboard for under $20. Keyboards get too gross to get attached to. People should really be swapping them out every 6 months.

Or you can not dribble food and drink all over your keyboard, and just clean it every now and then. I've had mind for 4 years. Still clean, responsive, and going strong.

Andorien on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you can find a Logitech G15 for about $30 I'd be all over that. It's probably the best keyboard I've ever had. You have no idea how many times the LCD on it has reminded me what time it was :P (MMO addiction allows you to forget what time it is in the real world).

urahonky on
  • Options
    jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    If you can find a Logitech G15 for about $30 I'd be all over that. It's probably the best keyboard I've ever had. You have no idea how many times the LCD on it has reminded me what time it was :P (MMO addiction allows you to forget what time it is in the real world).

Who wouldn't be all over a $100 keyboard for $30? Hmm what is a decent one for $50?

jb7 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Koekjes wrote: »
    Just about anything from Logitech will do the job. These guys have been making keyboards and mice for years. There stuff has never let me down.
    Their MX1000 or whatever mouse is really pissing me off at the moment though. I can drain the full charge in a single day of Diablo 2, and the retarded drivers tend to reset my mouse speed to minimum on every reboot. I don't even bother updating the drivers any more, none of the updates so far have done anything except reset all my custom key mapping.

Oh, and for extra kicks unmapped buttons will not do nothing, oh no. Pushing one will merrily steal focus from whatever application you were using (even a fullscreen game) to ask you if you'd like to assign a function to that key.

Glal on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Their MX1000 or whatever mouse is really pissing me off at the moment though. I can drain the full charge in a single day of Diablo 2, and the retarded drivers tend to reset my mouse speed to minimum on every reboot. I don't even bother updating the drivers any more, none of the updates so far have done anything except reset all my custom key mapping.

Oh, and for extra kicks unmapped buttons will not do nothing, oh no. Pushing one will merrily steal focus from whatever application you were using (even a fullscreen game) to ask you if you'd like to assign a function to that key.
    Why the fuck would you install the software for that mouse? Uninstall that shit right now. Just bind a key within a game if you need to use it, they recognize em.

The only reason I even installed the drivers for my G15 were because I had to or it wouldn't work at all. Those G keys come in handy though. I have a very limber pinky.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I use the side keys for copy/paste. :(

Any way to map them without that POS software? ~12KB freeware daemon utility maybe?

Glal on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I use the side keys for copy/paste. :(

Any way to map them without that POS software? ~12KB freeware daemon utility maybe?
    Do you really copy and paste that much? Ctrl C and Ctrl V are right there man. Right. There.

Suck it up.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Whoah, sorry, I must've accidentally wandered into the Linux support forums...

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    JAEF wrote: »

Why the fuck would you install the software for that mouse? Uninstall that shit right now. Just bind a key within a game if you need to use it, they recognize em.

The only reason I even installed the drivers for my G15 were because I had to or it wouldn't work at all. Those G keys come in handy though. I have a very limber pinky.
    That's a shocker.

:winky:

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I imagine it comes from pushing the Sunder shortcut a few million times.

Glal on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just buy any decent quality normal keyboard. It's not like people have trouble hitting the WASD keys because they're too small or anything. All that extra crap only eats up your desk space.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just buy a generic Logitech/Microsoft keyboard. Even the "pro"gamers just use the regular ones.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    LimeLime Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Same Experience, I recommend just browsing their keyboards, preferably in person if you can. Most BestBuy/Staples/etc. seem to have many models lined up. For a keyboard or mouse, in-person experience is valuable.

Lime on
    Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I actually received a new keyboard from the dell pc I just purchased. Slim, quiet and comfortable. I'd rather spend 10 dollars on a new disposable (clean) keyboard every few months than a fancy glow in the dark but I already know where the keys are keyboard.

solsovly on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I use a Logitech G15 and it's been about the best keyboard I've ever used. I don't use the macro keys so much (mostly just for Total Annihilation), but the LCD is great.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    gneGne wrote: »
    Just buy a generic Logitech/Microsoft keyboard. Even the "pro"gamers just use the regular ones.

I use a Microsoft keyboard with "the curve." Love the way it feels/types. But it can't handle more than two buttons at once. So no reloading while running diagonally for me.

Does anybody know of an MS "Natural" keyboard that has a higher ghosting limit? I'd hit that.

enc0re on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is that ghosting deal a problem with PS/2 keyboards only? Or does that affect USB keyboards as well?

setrajonas on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i have a MS Internet Pro KB, it's very comfortable, has two USB ports and some useful media extra keys. I have no ghosting problems, and it still looks pristine after years and years of use.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I use a Logitech G15 and it's been about the best keyboard I've ever used. I don't use the macro keys so much (mostly just for Total Annihilation), but the LCD is great.

I don't often use the macro keys (I won a Zboard+WoW keyset one time and didn't use the extra keys from that either), but I'm pretty happy with the actual tactile response and usage of the G15. In addition, if you use TeamSpeak or Ventrilo, the LCD can be a nice way to see who is talking. Sure, there are other solutions like another monitor or TeamSpeak Overlay, but this one is somewhat cheaper (you should be able to find the keyboard on sale for around $50 now, actually) and has no performance implications.

Of course, I'm the one who wrote the "G15 TeamSpeak" addon that is pretty popular, so perhaps I'm biased, but I use Vent now (guild switch) and am still pleased with that support. It's great so I can learn the voices of new people or those that don't play as much.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    If Phantom ever got off their asses their lapboard would be awesome for gaming on a HTPC. WTF!!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Now this is a keyboard.

kb41uk2.jpg

jb7 on
  • Options
    Smarmy LechSmarmy Lech Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That is fucking hot.

Smarmy Lech on