As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] This thread is old and weak and soon will spawn a zombie. Use the newer thread.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »
    Too late now, but if your first batch of soldiers fail, your next soldier to be tested will always succeed.
    Absolutely false. I didn't get a single psionic soldier until I had tested almost 12 soldiers. It's purely random and the chance increases with the higher the will of the solider you are testing.

Well, I'm just looking at decompiled code, and there's definitely a line that explicitly forces the sixth soldier to finish psi testing (which is the fourth one to enter the labs assuming you are doing full, simultaneous batches) will always be psi-capable. I'm not seeing anything that would cause that to fail unless the counter simply doesn't save, which is a possibility since I haven't looked at any of that stuff.

I guess you could test it by just running six losers through Psi testing on a fresh load and seeing if #4 is always a winner. I don't have a handy save, though.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have and it can occur anywhere from the first lot you try to upwards of the 9th or even 12th (in my exceptionally unlucky case). I will grant you, it might just be another aspect that is buggy as hell.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    finally got a solid early game in my latest classic ironman attempt and have made it to july with no council losses, full plasma arsenal on the way and 4/6 colonels. I feel like I've gotten a handle on the remaining missions, mostly because I've discovered that double assault is the light - one shotgunner with all defensive bonuses and chitin plating to scout for the squad, and one crit-focused rapid fire rifleman to basically be a beefier sniper that can also run and gun to shove 20+ damage at mutons/sectoid commanders in a single turn. combine with two supports for suppress/smoke nades everywhere, a HEAT ammo heavy and a sniper to clean up everything else; not sure you can do much better in terms of composition.

I have to say though, I'm really starting to dread seeing that large UFO with the severe camera/pathing issues. my last decent playthrough took its first severe hit when chrysalids hid on the top of it and hit the perfect ambush, and this current one saw my colonel sniper get sniped without any warning whatsoever when one muton escaped from a pack of 3 and predator'd its way through the outlying forest for a similarly amazing pick-off as I was setting up to enter the control room.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    You know, I may be playing on 360 but I honestly cannot say I ever had a problem with the camera on the bigger UFO missions. Minding, battleships are just nightmares because of the long open lines of fire without any cover and the aliens accuracy...

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Though, as long as I'm elbow-deep in this decompiled shit, I had a look at some of the hit calculations, since we were talking about the RNG:

Turns out, on Easy and Normal, the game literally cheats for you:

On easy AND you are down to 3 or fewer soldiers:
    Chance to hit is 120% of displayed value
    Chance to hit is further increased by 15% (absolute) per missing squad member, under 4 (if you only brought 1 soldier, he has +45% chance to hit)
    For hits that have at least a 50% chance of hitting,you receive another 15% (absolute) chance to hit per consecutive miss (up to 30%)
    Alien chance to hit is reduced by 10% (absolute) for each consecutive hit.
    Alien chance to hit is reduced by 25% (absolute) for each squad member missing under 4

On normal with 4 or fewer soldiers, or easy with precisely 4:
    For hits that have at least a 50% chance of hitting, chance to hit is increased by 15% (absolute) per consecutive miss, with no upper limit
    Interestingly, chance to hit is capped at 95%, so a 100% shot can miss.

Consecutive misses are any shots that had a 50%+ chance to hit, but missed. Shots with a lower chance are ignored. Also: hit chances explicitly do not apply to friendly fire. Psi attacks have their own stuff that goes into native code, so I can't tell if there are any of these adjustments.

Garthor on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Conservation of ninjutsu, then.

Has anybody tried a "1st Recon" all-sniper team?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Zenitram wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    I have one suit of archangel for my sniper. Getting him elevated makes squad sight and damn good ground both more valuable due to better lines and constant elevation advantage. Ghost armor is fun, too. I like it for assaults since they're my forward unit. It also guarantees a crit if you connect with a shot while stealthed so it's really nice on an assault with an alloy cannon.

Damn Good Ground does not work with Arcangel Armor, just FYI.
    That's disappointing. The better sight lines are still great. Is that a glitch or did I not read the description of damn good ground close enough?
    Neither, it does work. I don't know how Zenitram came to that conclusion, but it's wrong.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I have never seen as many misses from both my soldiers and the Aliens as I have in my current LP.
    I swear, out of 20 shots from both sides, maaaaaaybe 5 connect.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    So easy and normal are literally cheating in favor of the player, while classic is presumably a level playing field? Is there evidence that impossible is cheating against the player?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm fairly sure the AI gets various bonuses aside from the obvious +health, but I don't think they literally cheat in the same sense (numbers not actually representing true values). Decyphering all the AI stuff is a pain... it's tens of thousands of lines of code, decompiled (and not super-well), and I don't have a good IDE for Unrealscript, so piecing together how things work can be tough.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    So easy and normal are literally cheating in favor of the player, while classic is presumably a level playing field? Is there evidence that impossible is cheating against the player?

In Classic, Aliens (not all of them I think,but most) get +aim and +crit compared to Normal.
    I read about multiple mods removing this to create a "difficulty between Normal and Classic".

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Interesting. The "five satellites in month 1" strategy doesn't work in Normal, because the Officer school you start with takes the 3 power you need for the workshop to get ten engineers for a satellite uplink.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So let's have a talk about the best ability in the game. The one no one uses. The ability that I'm sure is designed to level the playing field on Classic and Impossible. That's right folks, we're talking about Hunker Down.

At first blush it looks pretty worthless. It doubles your cover bonus (making light cover into heavy cover), makes you immune to crits, and reduces your sight radius. Unfortunately what they don't tell you is the real gem - when you hunker down not only is your sight radius reduced, but you also drop out of line of sight to anything that is not flanking you.

Go, try it. It opens up an entirely new strategy when playing against enemies that are wedged in high cover. You can advance to low cover, hunker down, and the bad guys will typically either leave that cover to retreat, or to come find you. When your next turn rolls back around, you stick your heads up, and the bad guys will be in different places. As long as you would be in LOS to them but are not because you're hunkered, they want to come get closer and shoot you more often than not. This makes your next turn much better tactically.

Now, I'm still in the early game for this playthrough so I'm not sure how enemies with AoE attacks (Grenades!) will react to this strategy, but it seems to me that they only like to throw nades when they have a cluster of targets and not specifically to destroy cover.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Klyka wrote: »

In Classic, Aliens (not all of them I think,but most) get +aim and +crit compared to Normal.
    I read about multiple mods removing this to create a "difficulty between Normal and Classic".

I don't really regard that as cheating, that is fine as far as I am concerned and the aliens really should be better than you to evoke the feeling of the original especially (as classic intends to do). I am more wondering if aliens get on bonuses to hit if they consistently miss like players do on normal, or alternatively if the players aim is penalized or similar. Especially if this applies on impossible.

Edit: aliens on classic and impossible will throw grenades if they cannot do anything else, eg you suppress them and they cannot get a good shot. I have seen them throw grenades to destroy cover and then shoot the ever loving shit out of the exposed soldier.

The AI is actually really good.

Aegeri on
  • Options

I don't really regard that as cheating, that is fine as far as I am concerned and the aliens really should be better than you to evoke the feeling of the original especially (as classic intends to do). I am more wondering if aliens get on bonuses to hit if they consistently miss like players do on normal, or alternatively if the players aim is penalized or similar. Especially if this applies on impossible.

Edit: aliens on classic and impossible will throw grenades if they cannot do anything else, eg you suppress them and they cannot get a good shot. I have seen them throw grenades to destroy cover and then shoot the ever loving shit out of the exposed soldier.

Oh yeah,I don't treat it as cheating either, I just wanted to give him some info about it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    The RNG making a hit more likely if several misses have occured, or doing the same thing in reverse on higher difficulties I would regard as cheating. I am really curious if that happens on impossible or not.

Edit: Watching norternlions LP, I am amazed how much shit an abduction ship is giving him camera wise. I have no trouble whatsoever on the 360 with them. It is painful watching the camera wig out and misclicks sending soldiers into entirely random spots.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular

That's a bit of a weird one. Is that for humans, aliens or both?

And does that apply to higher difficulties?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Where do smart people put their bases?

• Options
    I finally understand the bitching about large UFOs from you guys. I genuinely had no idea it was this bad.

• Options
    subedii wrote: »

That's a bit of a weird one. Is that for humans, aliens or both?

And does that apply to higher difficulties?

Are you sure? Cause that is retarded.
    PLA wrote: »
    Where do smart people put their bases?

I like South America and North America, but I was never one of the smart guys.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    So let's have a talk about the best ability in the game. The one no one uses. The ability that I'm sure is designed to level the playing field on Classic and Impossible. That's right folks, we're talking about Hunker Down.

At first blush it looks pretty worthless. It doubles your cover bonus (making light cover into heavy cover), makes you immune to crits, and reduces your sight radius. Unfortunately what they don't tell you is the real gem - when you hunker down not only is your sight radius reduced, but you also drop out of line of sight to anything that is not flanking you.

Go, try it. It opens up an entirely new strategy when playing against enemies that are wedged in high cover. You can advance to low cover, hunker down, and the bad guys will typically either leave that cover to retreat, or to come find you. When your next turn rolls back around, you stick your heads up, and the bad guys will be in different places. As long as you would be in LOS to them but are not because you're hunkered, they want to come get closer and shoot you more often than not. This makes your next turn much better tactically.

Now, I'm still in the early game for this playthrough so I'm not sure how enemies with AoE attacks (Grenades!) will react to this strategy, but it seems to me that they only like to throw nades when they have a cluster of targets and not specifically to destroy cover.

I've suspected this for a while, but I'm still not sure if it's actually true or not. It's just that I've noticed that unit in hunker down don't seem to get shot at.

Personally I suspect it may be more to do with the fact that the aliens aren't going to bother wasting shots on a target with such a low to-hit chance, but who knows. I do know I've had units shot whilst hunkered down, but I don't remember whether they were actively flanked or not.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »
    http://www.schwanenlied.me/yawning/XCOM/XCOMPRNG.html

Explains the psuedo-random number generator.

Excellent stuff. And I'm sure it'll do little to dissuade people of the notion that the game's RNG is obviously rigged.

It would help if the game's RNG were not obviously rigged.

I dont' even...you joking?

There's about a 90% chance ;-)

Edit: More seriously, there are observable reasons to believe that the AI might be aware of the result of a roll before it happens. Which makes some sense from a programming standpoint - the player can usually make an educated guess as to the result of a roll before it happens as well.

Maaaaaaaaaan... do you have any idea how much of a pain in the ass it'll be to figure out the AI routines from decompiled code?

Ugh...

[edit]Fuck, just finding the class that handles AI out of 1015 of them is obnoxious

That's X-com, baby!

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Though, as long as I'm elbow-deep in this decompiled shit, I had a look at some of the hit calculations, since we were talking about the RNG:

Chance to hit is further increased by 15% (absolute) per missing squad member, under 4 (if you only brought 1 soldier, he has +45% chance to hit)
    For hits that have at least a 50% chance of hitting,you receive another 15% (absolute) chance to hit per consecutive miss (up to 30%)
    Alien chance to hit is reduced by 25% (absolute) for each squad member missing under 4

For hits that have at least a 50% chance of hitting, chance to hit is increased by 15% (absolute) per consecutive miss, with no upper limit

Consecutive misses are any shots that had a 50%+ chance to hit, but missed. Shots with a lower chance are ignored. Also: hit chances explicitly do not apply to friendly fire. Psi attacks have their own stuff that goes into native code, so I can't tell if there are any of these adjustments.

Seeing any modifiers based on mission difficulty?
    Specifically, "Difficult" and "Very Difficult" class missions feel as though they grant a massive bonus to alien crit chance. Every time I've seen the aliens do something dumb like stick six crits in a row, it's been on a V. Difficult abduction mission.

• Options
    I thought the difficulty for the missions only has to the with the amount of Aliens you face?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I think it is amount and type.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Well that helps explain some of the immense difficulty gulf between Normal and Classic.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Being playing this for a bit on classic/ironman (Because it feels like the 'right' way to play it) and while I'm having a blast with the tactical combat I keep going out and deleting my saves out of a feeling of 'meh' and lack of progress.

I suspect this is mainly down to the fact that I don't understand what I should be researching early on, or how any of the meta-game base building stuff functions, so anyone mind giving me a good start plan/explanation of what I'm doing past the shoot all the aliens stuff?

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular

Seeing any modifiers based on mission difficulty?
    Specifically, "Difficult" and "Very Difficult" class missions feel as though they grant a massive bonus to alien crit chance. Every time I've seen the aliens do something dumb like stick six crits in a row, it's been on a V. Difficult abduction mission.

Wow, that's fucking retarded.

Tell me the real numbers, asshole game.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Well that helps explain some of the immense difficulty gulf between Normal and Classic.

The irony for me is this explains why normal feels so much "fairer" in the RNG than classic, because it's cheating in the players favor. The irony of this is so beyond delicious given the complaints about the RNG people have between normal and classic.

• Options
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    For this Classic Ironman I've decided to give everyone Radiohead songs as nicknames. Thus far, those who get to nickname status have been immortal.

@Blurbl , well, him not so much. Random 9pt Thin Man crit into high cover.
    17BC301FAFD749992E9E1C30BCD35CF8A79EA63B

@drcongo - "Optimistic"
    @krylon666 -"Two + Two"
    @Shen -"Paranoid"
    @Polaris314 -"Iron Lung"
    @Retaba - Keep up those suicidal Arc Thrower runs, I'm sure you'll get promoted soon!

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Hmm actually, let's scrap that impossible run. A sectoid that I had never seen have a discovery animation just burst through a door and shot @Durandal4532 in the back of a head. No time for that nonsense I'm afraid.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I'm nearing the end on my Impossible run, I shot down a small UFO, bumped the difficulty down to Classic and went for the "Lone Wolf" achievement... With a Heavy.
    That was not a walk in the park, against 5 Mutons, 1 Elite Muton and a single Ethereal, it went better than expected, I had to resort to hit and run tactics on the 5 mutons which appeared simultaneously,
    but the Elite and Ethereal were just chilling in the UFO and getting blown up by a Blaster Launcher missile and a Shredder, finished by shooting the weakened Ethereal in the face, point blank.

I thought about doing it on Impossible, but that would be against 9 enemies, consisting of an 5 Muton Elites, 2 Drones, a Cyberdisc and an Ethereal, yeah, fuck that.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I know zombies are overdone at this point, but I want "Z-COM." Instead of a multinational global anti-alien task force, you pick a location for a stronghold in the continental US or wherever, recruit survivors, gather weapons, equipment, salvage, etc. Tactical missions up against supernatural monsters that have mostly overrun the planet, strategy layer involved rebuilding a society.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I didn't see it until I went from regular Classic to Ironman Classic, but sometimes groups of floaters will have one suppress you, and then another launch to get behind you, so your dude has a super low chance to hit him, and if he tries to move he gets shot at, not to mention the chance of suppressing fire wrecking your cover anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I am in a game? I'm IN A GAME!

Gonna zap some aliens.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Also you know what's a really annoying bug? Another that only seemed to crop up for me recently. Seems to have something to do with aliens dying in doorways that they opened instead of you, or collapsed walls, where even though it is wide open, you can't actually walk through, and have to go around. I missed my chance at needed capture because the guy was disabled, but I couldn't get to him in time because door the chrysalid burst through before getting mowed down by reaction fire was somehow magically unwalkthroughable, and the next fastest route to the guy was like 3 double moves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have not seen my name in any game. Not a single time.
    It saddens me greatly.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    I know zombies are overdone at this point, but I want "Z-COM." Instead of a multinational global anti-alien task force, you pick a location for a stronghold in the continental US or wherever, recruit survivors, gather weapons, equipment, salvage, etc. Tactical missions up against supernatural monsters that have mostly overrun the planet, strategy layer involved rebuilding a society.
    That would be cool if it was against a force of general supernatural creatures, including vampires and werewolves.

• Options
    Hoz wrote: »
    That would be cool if it was against a force of general supernatural creatures, including vampires and werewolves.

You know what, I was thinking I would like the exact same kind of thing as well.