As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[12 YEARS LTTP] Chrono Trigger

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chrono Trigger is neither my favorite RPG on the SNES, nor my favorite RPG with a silent protagonist. It's still got a hell of a lot going for it though. It's either great or solid in pretty much everything that matters, with a ridiculous amount of small touches that just make it a great experience. And a ridiculous amount of sidequests. I kind've hated the purple world, though.
    And I hate Lucca and Robo...

Frosteey on
  • OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    About Magus...
    Oh, and I always have to kill Magus. As cool as he is, human Glenn is at least 10 times cooler.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • shinobushinobu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah, Chrono Trigger, this was one of the games I grew up with, so it always shall have a special place in my game collection. Every character all seemed...perfect, and the battle system was great. The only thing I don't like about this game is
    having to chose between having magus join you, or killing him to see Frog restored, as they are both my favorite characters.

shinobu on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »
    You are a terrible person.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    You are a terrible person.
    The only thing I liked about her was an interesting use of the L, A, and R buttons.

About Magus...
    If Frog actually reverted as soon as Magus bit it, I'd off him every time, because using human Frog would kick ass. But just seeing human Frog? No thanks.

Frosteey on
  • OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But he needs the revenge! Poor Cyrus.
    I take just Glenn, (I always rename him Glenn) and equip the Masamune to smite that son of a bitch.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
    edited July 2007
    But he needs the revenge! Poor Cyrus.
    I take just Glenn, (I always rename him Glenn) and equip the Masamune to smite that son of a bitch.

Ah good, I was hoping I wasn't the only one to rename him that.

shinobu on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Robo's theme always makes me smile

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gah! Seeing these doors with "strange crests engraved on them" everywhere is pissing me off. It's like seeing the huge boulders in Zelda that you know you're gonna be able to lift later on.

UnbreakableVow on
  • s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Double_FacesDouble_Faces Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The reason you have to pay so much for the game is because it wasn't reproduced after a certain point. To clarify further, Nintendo kept pumpin out copies of Mario World, but when Square jumped the Nintendo ship, production of CT stopped.

Also, Frog is the greatest RPG character. Ever.

Double_Faces on
    SSBB Code: 0258 9993 5495
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's kind of easy, but it's a great game.

I'd like to see a DS port w/ more content and some battle fixes.

Magus` on
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Frog's theme is the best character theme ever.

Closely followed by Magus'.

The Cheese on
    edited July 2007
    s_86 wrote: »
    I renamed Robo to RY-322, or whatever his serial code was. I'm pretty sure many of you did that too... right?
    Anyways, Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG because it has the two things an RPG requires... an awesome storyline, and the loading times of a 2D SNES game.

Yeah, anouther guilty pleasure I had, also, I always renamed
    Marle to Nadia and Magus to Janus.

shinobu on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd rate the SMTs well above Chrono Trigger, but it's a great game nontheless, and sorely in need of some kind of PAL release.
    I mean, really.

Xagarath on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Robo's theme always makes me smile

You need to hear this, then, if you haven't already: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00988/

Someone earlier mentioned Chrono Symphonic, which is pretty tasty, I'll admit, but if you want a real meal, see if you can get your hands on this: http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/ctbot/index.html

Ignore the reviewer, he's a fool. Every track is pure joy. ( Alternately, listen and form your own opinion.)

Houn on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time. I've gotten most of the endings, playing from start to finish. Needs a real sequel.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    You could make a solid case for Chrono Trigger as the best RPG ever made, if not the best game. I've played this game so many times, and I have yet to find an actual flaw. The only RPG I feel really stands up next to CT in my opinion would be FFVI. Other than that... no contest.

Hey OP! You know what? Fuck you! I'm already in the middle of replaying FFVI again, and KotOR II. You want me to get into the middle of a third RPG? NOW!?

I hate you.

I love this game

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes! Love Chrono Trigger. It was one of the first RPG games I played back on the SNES. Probably my favourite RPG game as well.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The wiki doesn't mention Yasunori Mitsuda? That's just wrong...

I haven't played this in way too long. I should break out my Chronicles edition sooner or later.
    It's so hard to choose between saving Magus or letting Frog take him out. It's so beautifully epic.

Also, obligatory mention of Chrono Cross. Love it or hate it as a sequel, it's a beautiful game in its own right.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The wiki doesn't mention Yasunori Mitsuda? That's just wrong...

I haven't played this in way too long. I should break out my Chronicles edition sooner or later.
    It's so hard to choose between saving Magus or letting Frog take him out. It's so beautifully epic.

Also, obligatory mention of Chrono Cross. Love it or hate it as a sequel, it's a beautiful game in its own right.

Chrono Cross is definitely an underrated game, but the story definitely went a little... out there. Not that that's bad.

I do have a confession to make however. I played and beat Chrono Trigger probably a dozen times total, and I've never...
    Killed Magus

So thanks for nothing you jerks! I'm playing Disgaea, Titan Quest, SotN, and might be getting into the CoH expansion beta, and now I have to replay Chrono Trigger. And after I play Chrono Trigger, I have to play through Chrono Cross again.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited July 2007
    This game has a kickass and sensible reason for limiting your party to three.

UnbreakableVow on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i love this game. It's definitely in among my top 3, of which I cannot place in any quantitative order. It may very well be my favorite game of all time. To Far Away times still chokes me a up a little inside.

Guek on
  • MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the ending I got when I beat the game for the first time was
    Your cat runs away. Was that one of the real endings, or was that something that just happens if you don't feed it?

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
    edited July 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    i love this game. It's definitely in among my top 3, of which I cannot place in any quantitative order. It may very well be my favorite game of all time. To Far Away times still chokes me a up a little inside.

Hi5!

The Chrono Symphonic version is even better in my opinion.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

Hi5!

The Chrono Symphonic version is even better in my opinion.

yeah, that's a great great version. I have the full symphonic soundtrack though, played by an actual orchestra and imported from japan. It's tit :-D

if you can find it, try looking for a remix of Far Away Memories by Niel Benjamin. It's gorgeous and mostly him on guitar.

Guek on
    edited July 2007

Yeah, I never really bring attention to it, but it's nice to have a logical reason for a limited pary.

shinobu on
    edited July 2007
    fuck it, here's the remix i was talking about. DOWNLOAD NOW.

Guek on
    edited July 2007
    fuck it, here's the remix i was talking about. DOWNLOAD NOW.

So this is all kinds of awesome. I still prefer the orchestral take, but it still sounds amazing. Hell, I bet you could play this tune entirely on the triangle and it would still kick ass. Mitsuda, you fucking rock.

Evangir on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Mmmmmm, Triple Techs. Sooooooooooo delicious.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why isn't this game on the VC yet. Jesus Christ.

DarkPrimus on
    edited July 2007
    FCD wrote: »

Mmmmmm, Triple Techs. Sooooooooooo delicious.

I was talking about the whole End of Time thing, but sure, that too.

UnbreakableVow on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Why isn't this game on the GBA yet. Jesus Christ.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah, Chrono Trigger. I'm one of those crazies who list it as my favorite game of all time. I can find no fault with it. I alsohave only
    killed Magus
    once, at the expense of my great personal pride. Magus remains one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

I'm also even crazier for saying that Chrono Cross is in my Top 10, despite the fact that it was mostly irrelevant to CT's story. Nothing was cooler than
    Glenn dual wielding Einlanzers and Surge with the Mastermune.

Lynx on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lynx wrote: »
    Ah, Chrono Trigger. I'm one of those crazies who list it as my favorite game of all time. I can find no fault with it. I alsohave only
    killed Magus
    once, at the expense of my great personal pride. Magus remains one of my favorite video game characters of all time.

I'm also even crazier for saying that Chrono Cross is in my Top 10, despite the fact that it was mostly irrelevant to CT's story. Nothing was cooler than

You're not the only one. CC is a really divise game, with people either loving or hating the hell out of it. I personally love it, and it's my favorite PS1 rpg, with Xenosaga coming in a close second. I know a lot of people complain how it doesn't tie up to CT, but I disagree, as there's just enough CT threads in the game that you get goosebumps whenever you run across them, but not enough that it doesn't seem like it's cabinalizing it's own past.

So yeah. What the fuck is up with Square making sequels to every games BUT this one? And releasing FF1 and 2 an insane amount of times, but only rereleasing this once?

noir_blood on
  • OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I got this for the PSone on the FF Chronicles package thing. And I know the disc speed can be changed in the PS2, but everytime I turn it off it defaults back to the normal speeds. Is there anyway to change this? Or at least a shortcut to the PS2 menu when booting a game? It's a slimline by the way.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
    edited July 2007
    noir_blood wrote: »
    killed Magus

You're not the only one. CC is a really divise game, with people either loving or hating the hell out of it. I personally love it, and it's my favorite PS1 rpg, with Xenosaga coming in a close second. I know a lot of people complain how it doesn't tie up to CT, but I disagree, as there's just enough CT threads in the game that you get goosebumps whenever you run across them, but not enough that it doesn't seem like it's cabinalizing it's own past.

So yeah. What the fuck is up with Square making sequels to every games BUT this one? And releasing FF1 and 2 an insane amount of times, but only rereleasing this once?

There's actually an answer. Apparently. . .there's legal issues with CT, hence why we haven't seen it ported since the PS1. As for the sequel, S-E said they'd only do it if they got either a) the CT team back (Virtually impossible) or b) the CC team back (Which is still really difficult, since a lot of people left).

It really, really sucks.

Lynx on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    noir_blood wrote: »
    killed Magus

There's actually an answer. Apparently. . .there's legal issues with CT, hence why we haven't seen it ported since the PS1.

What sort of legal troubles? I though S-E owned the rights to CT completely. Is this not the case?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited July 2007
    FCD wrote: »
    What sort of legal troubles? I though S-E owned the rights to CT completely. Is this not the case?

I thought that, too, but apparently not. I'll try to dig up the whole thing. Give me a bit.

UPDATE: http://www.cubed3.com/news/6729/1/No_FFIX_on_Wii,_FF_Anniversary_Projects_Nintendo_Systems,_Chrono_Update_&_Much_More!
    The issue of the future for the Chrono games was brought up and clarification asked for, due to recent comments saying a sequel to Chrono Cross not being planned. In response, he stated that it certainly is not out of the question Chrono will make a return, and as for seeing Chrono Trigger return in any form (a port, remake or Virtual Console release – the last option currently being a 50-50 in terms of happening), it would come down to working out copyright details between the various members of the original team (most of which are no longer staff at Square Enix);

So, there we go. Copyright issues.

Lynx on
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's nuts. Squeenix would easily make enough money back to recoup whatever they lost by having to share royalties with other copyright holders. Apparently, they'd rather just do the lazy, greedy thing and put FF I and II on every console and handheld imaginable. I fully expect to wake up one fine day and find out that my toaster is somehow capable of playing FF I and II.

Norfair on