As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

F-Stop In The Name Of Love [PHOTO THREAD]

• TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ....blurry.

lol.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the comment, altmann. What do you mean by facing the other way? I was trying to keep her face in the shade so there wouldn't be too much contrast.

Here's another. I brought a flash but the batteries died in it so I had to do a lot of photoshop to get this one to look right.

kites2.jpg

Oh.. and one more from the beach. 200mm @ f/2.8 cuts the DoF razor thin.

kites3.jpg

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hard to say what I mean, i guess i saw the nice hugh from the sun. Sometimes that works sometimes it doesnt.

Something maybe like this:

257799777_b0c52332ab_b.jpg
    or
    257801587_3b4ba5e9c7_b.jpg

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll take the blonde.

ege02 on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ege, I really really really want to beat your face in every time you post in this thread.

Sorry, I had to get that out.

Sheri on
    edited July 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    ege, I really really really want to beat your face in every time you post in this thread.

Every time?

Are you sure?

ege02 on
    edited July 2007
    saltiness wrote: »
    Thanks for the comment, altmann. What do you mean by facing the other way? I was trying to keep her face in the shade so there wouldn't be too much contrast.

Here's another. I brought a flash but the batteries died in it so I had to do a lot of photoshop to get this one to look right.

kites2.jpg

I think that this is beautiful, and much better than the other one of her.

Sheri on
    edited July 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »

Every time?

Are you sure?

Yep.

Wait, let me re-read this one.

Yeah, definitely.

Sheri on
  • ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like the picture Salti, both of them. Is that your girlfriend? She's very pretty. I actually quite like the first shot even with her face in the shade, but I can completely see where alt is coming from. I wish I could pull of pictures of people well. Practice makes perfect I guess!

Still working on eyes. They're surprisingly difficult, I can't practice on my own and I'm leary about asking someone if they'll let me take a bunch of closeup pictures of theirs (not to mention I don't know many with eye's worth photographing). I did find one subject though, my nephew.

dsc0195v1smoa0.jpg
    I wasn't thinking about the background when I took this picture, and it bothers me that it's there.

dsc0029v1smop5.jpg
    Yes I know his face is dirty

If you have any advice on how to best take a picture of eye's I'd love to hear them! I'm trying to weigh the balance on what works the best. I try to shoot as much as possible in ISO 200, autofocus doesn't seem to work well for me when trying to take picture's of them so I do it manually. The hard part is finding the right balance of shutter speed and aperture. I can't figure out if a high shutter speed would capture it better (ie: the eye adjusts during exposure and blurs) or if a small aperture (numerically higher) would be the key. Maybe a balance of both? Today I shot most of mine at shutter priority of 1/100 or 1/80. Aperture varied from f5.6-f16 on average.

PS: I really need to work on paying attention to the surroundings/framing of the entire subject when I'm taking people pictures, I always find myself feeling like I need to rush!
    PPS: Sorry for so many pics of my nephew, I'll try to get something new soon. Until then. Here's another of the little bastard.
    dsc0245v1smwu6.jpg

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PUT YA STUNNA SHADES AWN

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited July 2007
    If you have any advice on how to best take a picture of eye's I'd love to hear them! I'm trying to weigh the balance on what works the best. I try to shoot as much as possible in ISO 200, autofocus doesn't seem to work well for me when trying to take picture's of them so I do it manually. The hard part is finding the right balance of shutter speed and aperture. I can't figure out if a high shutter speed would capture it better (ie: the eye adjusts during exposure and blurs) or if a small aperture (numerically higher) would be the key. Maybe a balance of both? Today I shot most of mine at shutter priority of 1/100 or 1/80. Aperture varied from f5.6-f16 on average.

I don't really understand what you mean by the bolded part.

I use aperture priority mode when I take close-up portrait pictures. I use the widest aperture possible to slightly blur out everything else but the eyes. Camera figures out the correct shutter speed.

What do you mean by "eye adjusts during exposure and blurs"?

By the way the last picture of your nephew is really awesome.

ege02 on
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, I guess what I imagined was happening to my pictures was that the pupil was maybe adjusting in size to different lighting conditions. I haven't taken biology in years and even then was never great at it, but do the cornea or the lenses of the eye (if it has any) have any effect on the clarity of the iris?

Say you focused the picture on the eye, and had it completely clear, but during the exposure the eye tried to focus again, would it throw off the focus of the picture? I don't know if I make any sense

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
    edited July 2007
    The iris changing size wouldn't have any effect on the focus of your shot. As long as your shutter speed is faster than 1/125th or so there shouldn't be any problems with motion blur.

saltiness on
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, I guess what I imagined was happening to my pictures was that the pupil was maybe adjusting in size to different lighting conditions. I haven't taken biology in years and even then was never great at it, but do the cornea or the lenses of the eye (if it has any) have any effect on the clarity of the iris?

Say you focused the picture on the eye, and had it completely clear, but during the exposure the eye tried to focus again, would it throw off the focus of the picture? I don't know if I make any sense

The pupil changes in size only if the amount of light in the environment changes.

And even if the pupil changes in size, that has nothing to do with the focus of your photo.

Generally, when taking eye photos, try to have them in a well-lit area, which will make the pupil dilate and make more of the iris (i.e. colorful part of the eye) visible.

ege02 on
    edited July 2007
    Directly on center yet slightly leaning. I hope this infuriates people.

This one is good to view at full size (click the picture), it has very nice detail. I got to climb all the way to the top of this in a very small, very narrow, uncomfortable spiral staircase. The view was impressive and it was one of those once in a lifetime experiences (since the bell tower isn't open to the public anymore).

The Duke Chapel
    924108850_027477026c.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited July 2007
    I'm trying to look at the photo but I keep falling out of my chair because of the tilt.

saltiness on
    edited July 2007
    The base of the tower is perfectly level, thank you.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited July 2007
    I'm trying to look at the photo but I keep falling out of my chair because of the tilt.

:lol:

ege02 on
    edited July 2007
    It's a nice shot, Gafoto. You just missed a little on getting yourself parallel to the front of the thing. The tilt actually doesn't bother me, it's the curb at the bottom right that does.

Fog.

liquo.jpg

saltiness on
  • Crazy ArtistCrazy Artist Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's a nice shot, Gafoto. You just missed a little on getting yourself parallel to the front of the thing. The tilt actually doesn't bother me, it's the curb at the bottom right that does.

Fog.

liquo.jpg

I really like this photo. You seemed to capture something really special in that pic, I can't put my finger on it.

I also liked the first pics you posted, they were very vibrant and well-shot.

Crazy Artist on
    edited July 2007
    That fog picture reminds me of Silent Hill.

*shiver*

ege02 on
    edited July 2007
    Awesome, I'll keep practicing with that stuff in mind.

I never thought about it until just now, In my photography class my instructor always told us that 1/60th was basically the prime shutter speed for shooting subjects with the camera hand-held, and the subject somewhat stationary (no sports etc). That was with ISO400 film, would you say it's any different using my D40? Should I be aiming for a faster speed to avoid blurring all the time? (I usually try to be at LEAST 1/60, faster if possible with the DoF I want).

That's a cool building Gafo, the curb on the bottom right is the only part I can really see that could be annoying. You are slightly off to the side of it but whatever, got any pics from the top?

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
    edited July 2007
    The 1/60th rule is dependent on the focal length of your lens. The rule is 1/focal length so on a 200mm lens you would want at least 1/200th. ISO does not change this because 1/60th is still 1/60th no matter if you're at 50 ISO or 32,000 ISO but the crop factor of your camera does make a difference. The D40 is 1.5x crop factor I believe which means a 50mm lens works like a 75mm so you'd want to use 1/90th or so shutter speed (assuming you're using half stops).

saltiness on
  • Ben BotBen Bot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    some great photos in the last few pages.

i was recently at a park and took a few shots of the play structure there.

slide1.jpg

slidetop_wall.jpg

tubeslide1.jpg

tubeslide2.jpg

Ben Bot on
    stache.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Hot shit mate! :^:

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2nd 3rd my faves.

1st is kinda boring with the tanbark framing it. Maybe a closer up shot more abstract. 3rd could be B&W maybe?

Good stuff though.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    edited July 2007
    My theory on black and white is usually: if it doesn't have any interesting color, just make it black and white and gain some cache.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • SpaceGhostSpaceGhost Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I managed to get an Olympus Evolt E-500 for 200 bucks at work from the manager, so here are my very first pictures. Don't expect anything great but I thought they turned out not bad. I want a macro lens.

macroflowersz4.jpg

macroflower2rl8.jpg

macroflower3kf6.jpg

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • Ben BotBen Bot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    thanks for the compliments guys! i tried black and white on the 3rd but wasn't really happy with it.

spaceghost: 2nd one is nice. good vibrant colors.

1st one makes the flowers in the background look gigantic.

3rd is a tad over exposed in my opinion.

good stuff though!

Ben Bot on
    stache.jpg
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I always find taking pictures of healthy flowers tends to work out better

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited July 2007
    Does it? How many pictures of healthy flowers have we seen in the photo threads? I welcome dead flowers.

Anyways these are a good start, SpaceGhost. I think the 1st is the best because it is natural lighting. The other two are obviously lit by on-camera flash which is usually a no-no unless absolutely necessary.

saltiness on
    edited July 2007
    Does it? How many pictures of healthy flowers have we seen in the photo threads? I welcome dead flowers.

Anything I've taken. Those Gaillardia in the first picture are totally spent, they have no petals!

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think he meant every flower we've seen on this thread has been healthy.

The flash really bugs me.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    edited July 2007
    Agave
    957056346_a20abb5c78.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Lewd.

saltiness on
  • burkhartburkhart Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so i bought a circular polarizer

956802643_5f64a91f35.jpg

956816875_f75c5b0e2e.jpg

moral of the story is, polarizers make skies kick insane amounts of ass.

burkhart on
    turnin' corners with mah pinky mang
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    burkhart wrote: »
    so i bought a circular polarizer

956802643_5f64a91f35.jpg

956816875_f75c5b0e2e.jpg

moral of the story is, polarizers make skies kick insane amounts of ass.

Dear god the colours.... how did you make the colours?

I need to know. this is the direction I want to take my photography...

Bryse Eayo on
    edited July 2007
    Polarizer + photoshop.

botp
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Agave
    957056346_a20abb5c78.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lately when i've been taking pictures that include something in the foreground, and then the sky, I've had the problem of either the sky being over exposed, or the foreground being underexposed (one or the other). What's the best way to get both at a decent exposure?

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Your subject is shaded. Don't shoot a shaded subject with a full sun background.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
This discussion has been closed.