As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

San Diego Comic-Con News Thread

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    A fan asked the writers for "teasers" on their books. "Dogs will attack other dogs," joked Morrison.

Johns: "After Sinestro Corps, I'm doing a story called the 'Alpha Lantern.'"

Dini: "Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, crime bosses of Gotham City.

Busiek: "Bottle City. Not the one you think."

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    EndangeredSpecies.jpg
    MessiahComplexPreview.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    prolific double-poster
    thorough disseminator

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2007
    Apparently the direction of the X-Men is switching from that of a family to an army with the upcoming Messiah Complex event.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    Theres been all kinds of info related to Ultimates to infer its quality. Aside from Loeb being the writer, its already shown he has no idea how to write Ultimate versions of hte characters and has decided to simply revert them to their 616 counterparts. Hes responsible for Thor's return to norse speak with the verily's and thous and so on. He as much as said he doesnt care for the political overtones of the series that Millar did and wont bother writing something like that. He just said in the panel he cant be bothered writing longer then 6 issue stories and wont try to make a overarching story, keeping it similar to his Superman/Batman. When asked why they were reverted to 616 looks, he just says "well Scarlet Witch's mother made her that way" as his reason. Every single thing he says about the book is pathetic and he hasnt written a good book since For All Seasons. The rest are just colour books (blue, grey, yellow, etc) or year one follow ups that prey on nostalgia and basically build / retell older peoples stories. You may enjoy them, but they are far from great books.

Tying in a "big" crossover for the Ultimate Universe with two non related books like Ultimatum is doing is stupid and wreaks of 90s crossover as well. Why coudlnt they just tell it like a normal crossover in its own mini like Ultimate Galactus trilogy or Ultimate War or Ultimate Six or so on.

Well, one side I will mourn the Ultimates, on the other hand, I will be able to add All Star Superman in my pull list.

I´m taking bets on how many issues of vol3 will come out per year, with "Battlechasers" Joe drawing it.

JCM on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    He's been working on it for like a year now. Maybe longer.

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2007
    Solo series for X-Men other than Wolverine? McCann: "...yes."
    My bet's on Cyclops.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think Cyclops has enough personality to have his own book. He needs people to lead. Or at least Jean.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited July 2007
    He has a ton of personality, it's just writers hardly use it.

AXM is a good example of how to do him correctly.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But what kind of situation could necessitate him going off on his own?

Maybe an exploration of his life before the school, in the orphanage? That's seldom covered.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Well, he's supposed to be heavily involved in Messiah Complex, and is the rallying point for the X-Men in it apparently.

Maybe something shocking happens and he needs to do some soul searching.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    He has a ton of personality, it's just writers hardly use it.

AXM is a good example of how to do him correctly.

That and New X-Men

Algertman on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bob Gale on ASM?

Goddamn it!

But I did guess right with Bachalo.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm kind of irked that there was no new news from DC about when Manhunter would be coming back. It was supposed to return this month, but it keeps getting pushed back.

Munch on
    edited July 2007
    I'm actually pretty excited about The Captain Marvel mini. Yeah, his ressurection was un-needed, but they are explaining it very well. Hell, he's not even ressurected. He's still dead. He's a "copy" of Marvel yanked from the time stream right after being exposed to the gas that gave him cancer. He still died in his bed surrounded by heroes.

Plus, McGuinness on covers.
    CP_MARV_1.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    they are explaining it very well.
    He's still dead. He's a "copy" of Marvel yanked from the time stream right after being exposed to the gas that gave him cancer.

My grandmother came back from the dead the same way.

DMAC on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He's a copy? I thought he was removed from the timestream with the understanding that he'd have to return and die some day.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    From what I've understood he's still going to die, just not in the same way. He's still got cancer.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    He's still dead. He's a "copy" of Marvel yanked from the time stream right after being exposed to the gas that gave him cancer.

Mine was punched into re-existance.

and my great grandma was brought back to life by her misguided godlike friend.

Oh and then there's the uncle who had some weird stasis where he was dead but not really. He got a mullet.

Your grandma was better.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Id put Beast as the one to get his own series. Probably going to end up doing some drastic stuff with Dark Beast and be removed from the team once they find out. Solo book for a bit would be good to show insight into his mind and deal with the ramifications of his actions (or clean up any shady deals he made) while the X-Men move forward post-Messiah.

KVW on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DMAC wrote: »

Mine was punched into re-existance.

and my great grandma was brought back to life by her misguided godlike friend.

Oh and then there's the uncle who had some weird stasis where he was dead but not really. He got a mullet.

Your grandma was better.

Civil War: The Return is still the worst comic of last year

or was it this year?

Civil War was so terribly handled I have can't remember

Algertman on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did anyone attend the Fables panel at the comicon? If so, any chance of a scan or summary of what the special 1-page attendee-only story was about? They said it will never be reprinted and didnt have enough for the people in attendance.

KVW on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FINAL CRISIS: DOGS WILL FIGHT OTHER DOGS

Bloods End on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    I am the proud owner of one of those shirts.

Sars_Boy on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

It better be Krypto versus Ace the Bat-hound.

Furu on
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Does Ace have time to prepare?

Bloods End on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Does Ace have time to prepare?

:x

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    sushijerk wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    If I could have picked one person to take over Astonishing X-Men.

It would NOT have been Warren Ellis.

Uggggh, I just got the Bad Signal email about this. I'm a pretty big Ellis fan and even I think he is among the worst possible choices to write this book. X-Man is all about being able to write individual characters well, and all of Ellis's characters sound like the same person; smartass Warren Ellis. How many pages into the issue will we get before Xavier addresses the team as his freaky filthy things? I'm guessimating one.

Everything non creater-owned thing Ellis has written for the big two has been terrible with the exception of Nextwave and Extremis. I'm going to check out the book because I know he will definitely take it in an interesting/original direction, but the dialogue is going to be so fucking painful to read.

I originally thought the same as you, but when you wrote this:
    How many pages into the issue will we get before Xavier addresses the team as his freaky filthy things?
    I changed my mind completely. Now I am totally in favour. I also predict that he will start wearing glasses with mismatched lenses and refer to himself as Magical Truthsaying Bastard Xavier.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited July 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

I am filled with envy, and yet, when could you ever really wear it? I mean, out on the street people are just gonna be all, "Buh what?" and at a con or comic shop you just know some rabid fan is going to come up to you and start going on about how D-Diddy is the best ever. All smellin' like stale nachos and cheap Ax body spray.

Munch on
    edited July 2007

I am filled with envy, and yet, when could you ever really wear it? I mean, out on the street people are just gonna be all, "Buh what?" and at a con or comic shop you just know some rabid fan is going to come up to you and start going on about how D-Diddy is the best ever. All smellin' like stale nachos and cheap Ax body spray.

Do stale nachos have their own smell? I would think the rotting cheese would cover up the chip smell, leaving only cheese.

Bloods End on
    edited July 2007

it was a total heat of the moment purchase

it also meant I couldn't eat lunch that day

Sars_Boy on
    edited July 2007
    sushijerk wrote: »
    If I could have picked one person to take over Astonishing X-Men.

It would NOT have been Warren Ellis.

Uggggh, I just got the Bad Signal email about this. I'm a pretty big Ellis fan and even I think he is among the worst possible choices to write this book. X-Man is all about being able to write individual characters well, and all of Ellis's characters sound like the same person; smartass Warren Ellis. How many pages into the issue will we get before Xavier addresses the team as his freaky filthy things? I'm guessimating one.

Everything non creater-owned thing Ellis has written for the big two has been terrible with the exception of Nextwave and Extremis. I'm going to check out the book because I know he will definitely take it in an interesting/original direction, but the dialogue is going to be so fucking painful to read.
    because none of Whedon's X-Men were like stereotypical Whedon characters

Sars_Boy on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    well, kitty is kind of the basis for half of his stereotypical whedon characters

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2007

I really liked Sassy Teenage Girl 1 and Sassier Teenage Girl 2, as well as Wizened Badass Paternal Figure and Simpleminded Funny Guy.

Munch on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I really liked Sassy Teenage Girl 1 and Sassier Teenage Girl 2, as well as Wizened Badass Paternal Figure and Simpleminded Funny Guy.

I guess I could kind of see the Kitty - Buffy analogy there, although Kitty isnt a teenager anymore and she's not nearly as jaded as adult Buffy was.

None of those other descriptions fit any of the other X-Men in that book though.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have faith in Ellis on this, though a lot of you are probably right when you assume he's gonna fuck up on characterization.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Whedon should write a cyclops ongoing.

Mai-Kero on
    edited July 2007

I guess I could kind of see the Kitty - Buffy analogy there, although Kitty isnt a teenager anymore and she's not nearly as jaded as adult Buffy was.

None of those other descriptions fit any of the other X-Men in that book though.

Sassier teenage girl: Armor?

wizened badass paternal figure: Cyclops?

simpleminded funny guy: Wolverine?

Bloods End on
    edited July 2007

Yes on the first.

Cyclops has always been the wizened paternal figure, so Whedon didn't do that.

Wolverine has always been a bit simpleminded, but the whole "A Blue Moose!" stage was too funny for me to care about any cliches and it had a good excuse for humor.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Cyclops is a paternal figure to who.

Hell Wolverine is closer to that than anyone else.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]