As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Fitness Group 2.0

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Woohoo, all the damage from my all you can eat feast is gone today! Yay!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    redfield85 wrote: »
    But what about ginger spice cookies?! :'(

Haha.

maybe small allowances will be made for mega-deliciousness ... but not yet :D

Edit: hit up Starbucks today - so my treat was a nice coffee drink, while being productive. Glad I walked during my lunch break.

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I'm gonna get a good amount of walking in on Friday at NYCC. Weigh-in when I wake up later today. I am gonna guess 1.2lb gain. Ha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    ishtra wrote: »
    But what about ginger spice cookies?! :'(

Haha.

maybe small allowances will be made for mega-deliciousness ... but not yet :D

Edit: hit up Starbucks today - so my treat was a nice coffee drink, while being productive. Glad I walked during my lunch break.

Yay, Starbucks! I love getting a Triple Venti Nonfat Caramel Macchiato, only 4 points! Mmmmm

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Finally got on that treadmill again.. ankle wasn't yelling at me as much as I thought when I started jogging, but I still did 10 minutes jog/5 minutes walk intervals to play it safe. Down to 215, so 15 to go for my target, though I do plan to add weights again soon, so that will add some lbs.

Here's hoping the ankle isn't mad at me tomorrow morning for this.

Even Steven today. Still at 209.2lbs.

bYf6vNQ.png
    getting sick from work >.< Skipping tonight's workout and hoping to be better tomorrow ... better get better b/c I have my bridal shower in 3 days _-_

Walked around all day at Comic-Con. Tomorrow we are going to 6 Flags all day, so more walking all day. Sunday and Monday are hockey. I've eaten better than last week, so hopefully we are looking at another pound or two gone this week.

bYf6vNQ.png
    @redfield85 - that's Awesome. So much walking :P

I ate kind of crappy today, but I didn't eat much most of the day. Plus with all the walking, I think I'm ok. It has been 3 days since I tracked any food in my WW account. I might just go the whole WW week to see if I can do it on my own without tracking through the app.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Glad to see the fitness thread continue after the PAX forums split! I've been able to keep my weight steady around 250 lb, and have been doing the Starting Strength book intro program for barbell weights.

One problem I have that I'm hoping to get some feedback on is this: After doing a workout* I get super-hungry for about the next 24 hours. I usually try and have some protein and sugar after the workout, such as a protein shake and banana, or a Clif Builder Bar. This is usually the toughest time for me to eat paleo/primal, as I'll end up going to a bowl of cereal or toast with almond butter and honey, which I'd like to reduce or avoid since they don't fit into what I'd like my diet to be. Does anyone else have this problem, and are there ways to avoid resorting to grains? What are healthier choices for filling me up that are quick?

* My workouts tend to be 60-75 minutes of weights, with a bit (10-20 minutes) of running.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
    Also, since some others are posting their goals, for PAX East I'd like to be able to squat my bodyweight, keep my 5K pace at 30', drop one more shirt size (started at 3XL, down to XL, would like to be down to L) and drop 2" off my jeans (started at 46", down to 38", would like to be at 36").

For the 5K for PAX East, I'm a maybe. I'm trying to pack light and this is essentially my yearly vacation away from friends and family to relax. Closer to the date I may commit, but with the walking, everything else (panels, tabletop games, handheld lounge) and time with SpectacledBare, this is a lower priority for right now.

Finally, has anyone looked into what would be required to make a PAX East fitness group wicking T-shirt? I would submit myself to a 5K run for this alone, and it would make it easier to find people at any kind of meetup.

LPr3CtQ.png
    ... to make a PAX East fitness group wicking T-shirt?

I like this idea. I don't know about making one, but if someone has access to getting it done, I may be up for one :)

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I really like the idea, but I can't think of a cheap way to do it. It'd probably end up being like $30 a shirt.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    ... to make a PAX East fitness group wicking T-shirt?

I like this idea. I don't know about making one, but if someone has access to getting it done, I may be up for one :)

Yep, I hesitated to mention it, because it was asking for someone else to do the work because I have zero skills in what would be required to make it. I ended up mentioning it because I see runners wearing shirts showing their affiliation and can't think of a shirt I'd rather wear running than a PAX shirt. :-)

LPr3CtQ.png
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    One problem I have that I'm hoping to get some feedback on is this: After doing a workout* I get super-hungry for about the next 24 hours. I usually try and have some protein and sugar after the workout, such as a protein shake and banana, or a Clif Builder Bar. This is usually the toughest time for me to eat paleo/primal, as I'll end up going to a bowl of cereal or toast with almond butter and honey, which I'd like to reduce or avoid since they don't fit into what I'd like my diet to be. Does anyone else have this problem, and are there ways to avoid resorting to grains? What are healthier choices for filling me up that are quick?

* My workouts tend to be 60-75 minutes of weights, with a bit (10-20 minutes) of running.

Steak and potato? My post workout meals involve either broccoli or brussels sprouts with grass-fed beef or salmon (with copious amounts of butter). Now that squash is back in season, I've been eating a lot of that, too. Is it that you don't know how/don't have time to prepare something other than cereal/toast, or that you're craving something sweet?

Mogs wrote: »

Steak and potato? My post workout meals involve either broccoli or brussels sprouts with grass-fed beef or salmon (with copious amounts of butter). Now that squash is back in season, I've been eating a lot of that, too. Is it that you don't know how/don't have time to prepare something other than cereal/toast, or that you're craving something sweet?

I have the second problem, craving something sweet. The feeling is also immediate, something akin to a base "MOAR FOOD NAO". So I'm trying to figure out if my ~2000 daily calories are enough or if I need to be including more foods with carbs, more fat or something else.

LPr3CtQ.png
    What does your current food intake look like?

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    So my update has a dark side: gained 10 lbs back in the last month. Just poor food choices. That said, today was my first flight in 2 years and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't need the seatbelt extender. So... long term progress!

5I7JEDi.png
    I ate kind of crappy today, but I didn't eat much most of the day. Plus with all the walking, I think I'm ok. It has been 3 days since I tracked any food in my WW account. I might just go the whole WW week to see if I can do it on my own without tracking through the app.

But if you aren't tracking you aren't sure if you ate enough or too much. Undereating can damage weight loss as well.

IMO, when you stop tracking you start gaining because your control is slipping.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    Fell off for a bit... time to get back on the horse! Keeping a regular exercise schedule = hard.

First, thanks for taking the time to figure this out with me. Any feedback I can get goes into solving this problem. :-)

Right now in one day I typically have something like
    Breakfast: Cottage cheese and honey
    Snacks: Banana, applesauce or other fruit, serving of almonds or other nuts, protein shake powder with milk
    Lunch: Leftovers, usually meat and veggies of some kind
    Supper: Usually more meat and veggies

LPr3CtQ.png

First, thanks for taking the time to figure this out with me. Any feedback I can get goes into solving this problem. :-)

Snacks: Banana, applesauce or other fruit, serving of almonds or other nuts, protein shake powder with milk

How many snacks are you having? If you're having all that a snacks, that's a lot of food!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin

I would say that you could likely stand to up your fat intake (and maybe your protein a bit, depending on the portions of meat you're eating). I know that if I don't eat a good amount of fat, I'm absolutely ravenous. What do you cook your meat and veggies in? What kind of meat are you eating (skinless chicken breast vs. rib-eye)? If you have a craving for something sweet, I'd eat a couple eggs scrambled in butter instead. Bonus points if bacon is involved.

Also thought this might be a good/interesting read for you.

Okay everyone: What're your goals to end the year?

I'm trying to get back down to 230, which'll mean I finally hit that fuckin' 100 lost mark instead of yo-yoing. x.x

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    Deadlift at 250 at least, bench to a solid 125, and 10 unassisted chin-up's. No real goal number for my squat - I just want it to keep going up. :D

@Chorazin Yep I usually would have around that for snacks, so I'm hitting around 2000 calories for food in a day. Not doing too bad for form, but am hoping to get rid of the fat from around the middle. I haven't dropped much weight since starting weights but I've been slowly trimming down.

@Mogs Thanks for the link! I read it when it came out but had forgotten about it in the meantime. Thanks for the suggestion of increasing fat and meat. I don't think I'm getting enough, and that's good stuff to fill up on. Typically I'm cooking meat in their own juices/boiling, and cooking veggies in olive oil on lower heat or having them raw.

LPr3CtQ.png
    edited October 2012
    Okay everyone: What're your goals to end the year?

I'm trying to get back down to 230, which'll mean I finally hit that fuckin' 100 lost mark instead of yo-yoing. x.x

I want to hit 199lbs or less. I am at 209.6lbs (gained .4 this week). I have been stuck in the 209 range for the past three weeks. Vacation and watching my cousin's dog doesn't help.

I need to lose just about a pound a week.

edit: Also, my extended "end of the year" goal is to take my shirt off at the beach/pool next Summer.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    I'm hoping to be below 200 before the end of the year, I only have 16 pounds to lose before that happens! Then I can get my commemorative tattoo of a 1up mushroom for gaining an extra life. :lol:

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    wanna lose 8 lbs ...we'll see :P

wanna lose 8 lbs ...we'll see :P

You can do it! We both will.

bYf6vNQ.png
    And I'm no longer obese as of today! :D Being just overweight feels good, now to get down to normal!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    I want to be 200 by PAX East. I know that was my goal for year end, but.. well.. heck, it can still happen, but I need a goal, right? 216 now.. let's do it! 200 would be 50 lb lost, and I'd be A-Ok with that.

Of course, toning up again is necessary as well.

200 would be 56 lb lost for me.

For someone that is 5'10-5'11 and 209lbs...is that obese? I assume when I was 256lbs I was.

bYf6vNQ.png

For someone that is 5'10-5'11 and 209lbs...is that obese? I assume when I was 256lbs I was.

It would be Just on the edge of obesity for 5'10" versus upper limits of overweight for 5'11"

I tend to avoid BMI or obesity charts. If you're build is "normal" then it may be useful, but I'm 6'3" and 250 lb. According to even the most generous charts, I'm overweight at anything greater than or equal to 200 lb. I may have a bit of a tummy, but everything else is in check and strong, so for me at least they're wrong. I've also got a clean bill of health from my doctor and a cardiologist to boot.

LPr3CtQ.png
    I've also got a clean bill of health from my doctor and a cardiologist to boot.

Totally agree... if you ask the insurance agent, they've got their charts to which my notes relate. If you are a bodybuilder, the numbers will not be in your favor :P

I am personally a fan of the body-fat monitor as a better measure of actual health along with the dr evaluations :D

edited October 2012
    So, I looked into it. We can get a sweat-wicking short sleeved shirt with a one-colour logo for 10.80 plus tax. That's if 20 people order for PAXEast. I was thinking white logo, royal blue shirt.

PayneTrayne on
    I would do a $15 shirt.

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    If someone's willing to take the project on, I'm def in

5I7JEDi.png