As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phallandia: The Village of Dustin - Chapter 8: New Dawn in Dustin (Village Victory!)

KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Critical Failures
village.jpg

Introduction:

For generations, the Kingdom of Phallandia has lived in prosperity; its many denizens enjoying the fruits of their labors. As time marched on, the Phallandians slowly advanced their understanding of technology and magic, advanced enough to pose a threat to their neighbors through their proximity alone. Phallandia has two major neighbors, one each to the east and west. To the west lies the Coalition of Free States, a group of small territories banded together for political and economic purpose, and to the east the Imperium Castratum, a sprawling empire with size enough to rival the holdings of the Phallandian Kingdom. Over the past few decades, a growing tension has arisen between the Kingdom and the great Empire to the east. The Phallandians’ wealth of technology and magic has upset the balance of power that allowed the two nations to peacefully coexist. The Phallandians soon came to learn that the absence of war is not peace. The Empire had grown restless, agitated by the Kingdom’s growing power. Small border skirmishes became commonplace, but mediation was always possible. Never did the engagements escalate beyond minor squabbles, until now...

Shortly, Phallandia will sign a treaty with the Coalition of Free States that will secure them access to much needed alchemical resources in trade for a portion of the Kingdom’s food reserves. As a caveat to the treaty, the Free States would be bound in peacetime and in war to the Kingdom. Through the use of its spy network, The High Senate of the Imperium Castratum caught wind of the treaty between Phallandia and the Coalition. If Phallandia gained access to this new resource, as well as securing an ally they could call on to aid them in battle, they would secure their place as the dominant nation. However, the Empire is well aware of the fragile nature of the Coalition’s control over the many states that fall under its banner. They lack for many basic resources, and have neither the military assets nor manpower to last through a drawn out conflict. Signing this treaty would force the Coalition’s hand and commit them to a campaign if the Kingdom were to go to war. If the Empire could start a conflict with Phallandia before the treaty is signed, they could force the Coalition to baulk, and turn away from the treaty before they are force to commit their forces to the battle.

The Imperium Castratum has sent out one of its best forward assault squads as a precursor to an all out attack on the Kingdom; their target, the village of Dustin. Dustin is a small farming village nestled at the edge of a forest and spreading outward into the plains of eastern Phallandia. It rests along the Imperial Border and has been the site of small attacks and incursions in the past. Because of this, a small contingent of Phallandian Knights have been garrisoned at the local monastery to protect the town and keep an eye on the border.

Game Overview:

Genre: Standard Mini (Village vs. Mafia) with some added flavor.
This is a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia. If this is your first game, it will be informative to visit the linked topic for some background information.

Signing Up:

Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged. Signups will be open for at most 72 hours, but will close once the maximum of 30 players is reached.

Vote Close:

Every day, players must vote for who they think is suspicious to be removed from the game. Daily elimination votes should be made in bold red text: i.e. !Kilnaga. Vote close will be at 0400 ZULU or Midnight EDT.

Inactivity:

It is expected that players do the following things each day to be considered sufficiently active: make at least two posts, and make a vote. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day overall. If there are no replacements available, then the player will be eliminated from the game.

Asking for Clarifications:

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.

Other Rules:

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to pre-existing private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may make one ghost post in the thread containing no game information. After that you may not make any game conversation with players remaining in the game. You must add the host to all PM conversations. If any players create "proboards" for private communication or interesting conversations including more than two players, please send links for them to the host.

Because I’ve found myself incapable of constructing a game based off an established IP, I’ve whipped up a random setting out of thin air. I doubt my ability to co-opt a pre-made setting will change at any point in the future, so I will just continue to have my games run as one big continuous story. I will ask for everybody to name their character after they have received their role PMs (Please try to have names that are actually.. you know... like... names). Surviving characters will have the potential to be carried over to the next game as roles. The outcome of this game will determine the setting and story for the next. Your chosen character names should not be obviously linked to you, as they are information best kept closely guarded. They can and will appear in narration tied to nightly actions.

Special Thanks:

Special thanks to Ahava for kindly looking over my game for me. I also shamelessly stole most of this OP from her Blackout game. Thanks to Obi, whose last Mini inspired me to get off my ass and write my own game (I may have also blatantly stole ideas from him). And lastly, thanks to Kraken Black Spiced Rum, whose consumption fueled the bulk majority of this game’s creation.

Sample Village Role PM:
You are a Villager of Dustin.

Life in a border town is always a dangerous prospect. Over the years you have gotten used to the constant attacks and skirmishes and learned to defend yourself. With the aid of the garrisoned knights stationed in the monastery, you are tasked with defending the village until reinforcements can be sent for.

Win Condition: Eliminate the threats to the village of Dustin and the Kingdom of Phallandia.

Clarifications:

How awesome are you Kilnaga?
So, so, awesome. Awesome beyond counting

Conversions/Millers/Thralls?
No, and that’s the only one I’m going to give you.
Egos wrote: »
Can we kill/attack the host?
Can we vote out the host?
No and no again.
Can we submit other people's username's as our character name? :twisted:
CD
Can we go by a Title instead of a Name?
CD
What's the order of actions?
Stuff > Things > Other Things
Does the Vote come before other actions?
The Vote is placed in the order in a way that doesn't allow vote trickling.
blahmcblah wrote: »
What happens in the event of a tie vote?
You only wish I'd tell you this.
B:L wrote: »
Herp derp?
Herp derp derp, derp herp.
Would someone being guarded or otherwise protected be mentioned in the narration?
CD

Player Roster:

1 - Egos
3 - The Anonymous
17 - Anialos
20 - Langly
22 - Typhus733
26 - Premium
27 - Zombie Hero
28 - Malkor

The Victorious:
SaberOverEasy: Simon the Zealot of the Church of Sacred Fire

The Glorious Deceased

Prologue:
Lady Ahavadria - Noblewomen
Sir Dolphinius - Knight Protector
Imperial Knight

Chapter 1: A Real Barn Burner:
Vagrant_Winds: Samuel L. Jackson - Villager of Dustin -- Lynched
TrueNeverborn: Dirt Farmer Brian - Villager of Dustin -- Stabbed and Burned Alive
KetBra: Kanye West - Blacksmith -- Castrated
Retaba: Brother Obscuras - The Mouth of Nagarus -- Castrated

Chapter 2: Tiber Septim's Vow:
SeGaTai: Whiskeyjack - Villager of Dustin -- Burned Alive
B:L: Dustin “Raingoman” Hoffman - Phallandian Knight -- Castrated
Kaplar: Tiber Septim - Imperial Knight Captain -- Summary Execution
TheRoadVirus: Ignatio Rasputin - Hedge Wizard -- Castrated

Chapter 3: Ascension into Flame:
Obifett: Sir Romney - Imperial Knight -- Summary Execution
SLyM: Oathkeeper Aykthos Thalinos - The Shield Arm of Nagarus -- Burned Alive
Jdarksun: Sister Maria Teresa Garcia Graziela Aguilera Delgado Francisco Diego Arroyo Inigo Montoya Zapata Paquito El Guapo Abuelita de la “Boom Boom” Mendoza - Villager of Dustin -- Killed
Rainfall: Chaz Von Kraken - Villager of Dustin -- Castrated

Chapter 4: Title TBD:
Sir Fabulous: Fabusala Ironabs - Villager of Dustin -- Summary Execution
Infidel: Ledifni - Villager of Dustin -- Castrated
Shiny New Toys: Gen Eric - Villager of Dustin -- Mauled by Ursus Inactivus

Chapter 5: Mayor No More:
Kime: Mayor Snugglesworth Blizztgaten Farnswallow Kants IV - Mayor of Dustin -- Coup d'état'd
Phyphor: David "What's in the Magic Box!?!?" Mills - Villager of Dustin -- Castrated

Chapter 6: At The Edge Of Town:
CesareB: Sir Erasmus Koolhaas - Imperial Scout -- Summary Execution
Mill: Timothy Matlock - Woodsman -- Castrated

Chapter 7: The Road Ahead:
Shalmelo: Mad Malcolm McFadden - Imperial Knight -- Summary Execution
Blahmcblah: Viscount Jerrold Bolognia of Nomevillagio Casuale - Villager of Dustin -- Castrated

Narrations:
Prologue
Chapter 1: A Real Barn Burner
Chapter 2: Tiber Septim's Vow
Chapter 3: Ascension into Flame
Chapter 5: Mayor No More
Chapter 6: At The Edge Of Town
Chapter 7: The Road Ahead

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
- Terence McKenna
Kilnaga on

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Phalla with a literal village?

What nonsense is this

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    FUCK

MU HAHAHAH

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I've totally got time for this!

Oh God

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    ButtsButtsButts

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    What a sophisticated signup. We've got a classy one here!

:P

Steam profile
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    I will ask for everybody to name their character after they have received their role PMs (Please try to have names that are actually.. you know... like... names). Surviving characters will have the potential to be carried over to the next game as roles.

ahahahahahahahahahaha

good luck with that

Check out my last three games and just browse over the death list. You have that to look forward to.

oh, and signup

ObiFett on
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    What a sophisticated signup. We've got a classy one here!

:P

Wait until the narrations start popping up. :D

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    I like named characters spanning games. I hope this concept doesn't die off

Steam profile
  • Options
  • Options

just remember who started it

I should demand some sort of tribute or royalties

• Options
    I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I will ask for everybody to name their character after they have received their role PMs (Please try to have names that are actually.. you know... like... names). Surviving characters will have the potential to be carried over to the next game as roles.

ahahahahahahahahahaha

good luck with that

Check out my last three games and just browse over the death list. You have that to look forward to.

oh, and signup

Ohh, I'm prepared. :D

I love the concept, its fun from a hosting perspective to be able to tell a story spanning multiple games.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular

ahahahahahahahahahaha

good luck with that

oh, and signup

I was always sad that Wang Vasectimus got killed off on the last day of phallance. I feel the ObiWars universe would have been better with him around.

Especially when we got to the ship game...

Also sign-up

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i shall watch over this like a caring mother hen.

or something

• Options
    I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE

I laughed too hard at this

• Options

just remember who started it

I should demand some sort of tribute or royalties

@ObiFett

Read the whole OP, you're in the Thanks section. :P

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Ok, for real though about the names, you can not control it. Don't even try to contain it.

This was a name in Phallance: ☺☻♥♣♪♫Ω∞♠♦◘○

:|

• Options
    Ok, for real though about the names, you can not control it. Don't even try to contain it.

Watch me try. :P

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    !signup, maybe?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE

I laughed too hard at this

I almost shouted it in the living room. That would have been met with less than favorable responses

I got some interesting ones in the Dr. Horrible phalla. I think people will always try to push the limits.

• Options
    I'm tempted to put in a caveat: First moron to hand me symbols for a name gets turned into the village idiot. I may do that next game. Hmmm...

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    You know it's funny this reminds me of CivII and it was brought up in the Presidential debate thread.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to put in a caveat: First moron to hand me symbols for a name gets turned into the village idiot. I may do that next game. Hmmm...
    Don't tempt me, man. 8->

• Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Been reading phalla threads for the last couple days straight and I am compelled to sign up. Please be gentle.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    CesareB wrote: »
    Been reading phalla threads for the last couple days straight and I am compelled to sign up. Please be gentle.

>I put on my robe and wizard's hat.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Let's do this

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    >I put on my robe and wizard's hat.

No need to be so formal on my account.

• Options

Welcome. It will be stressful as hell the first few times, if you're anything like me. Especially if you get thrown into being mafia right off the bat.
    But take criticism and learn from your mistakes, and most of all, have fun!

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I put on my sequined American Flag speedo, and get to oilin' mahself

Erin The Red on
  • Options

And here I was worried that, without anyone to grudge from a previous game, I wouldn't have anyone to vote for. Thanks!

• Options
    edited October 2012

And here I was worried that, without anyone to grudge from a previous game, I wouldn't have anyone to vote for. Thanks!

Awwww, look at the new guy. Making friends already. :D

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Уøυ ωεɍε ſαуіɳϛ؟

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    hey why not

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I'm a filthy peasant

Retaba on
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    why, yes