As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - We will be watching it, commander! - Set 10

KlykaKlyka DO you have anySPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology
XCOM-Enemy-Unknown.jpeg

Hey guys, I'm doing a playthrough of this wonderful game and since people told me to not care about the usual "Three month rule" and just go ahead, I said "Goose it, I'll do it!".
Follow me into a world of cover, flanking, explosions and really, really shitty dice rolls.
Follow me....into XCOM!

Set 01
Set 02
Set 03
Set 04
Set 05
Set 06
Set 07
Set 08
Set 09
Set 10
Enjoy!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
lTDyp.jpg
Klyka on

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have already been watching your LP, been very enjoyable so far Klyka. This is a game I like watching almost as much as I do playing.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I agree! It'll be interesting to see how you do outside of the tactical areas since you started in South America.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Yeah, apparently people should spit on me and call me an idiot for taking South America XD

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I think South America could be a very good choice for the plasma rush strategy. I don't know if you're doing that, since I'm still at work.

edited October 2012
    I think South America could be a very good choice for the plasma rush strategy. I don't know if you're doing that, since I'm still at work.

I'm not.

I just don't like doing what everyone else does. If I played the exact same game, why would anyone watch my LP?
    At least this way, people can see what it's like to start in SA.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The three month rule is a red herring.

So Klyka you should tell everyone about your first attempt to LP this game! :D

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Klyka! what do I need to do to get an Assault named after me?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Kill Helloween, eat his heart and make his strength yours.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    I started in South America on classic difficulty and managed to win the game. The first month where you lack some of the funding from Europe or USA makes it hard.

Klyka wrote: »

Kill Helloween, eat his heart and make his strength yours.

I'm not sure I've seen that option on the base screen. Is it under research or barracks?

Capture.jpg~original
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wanna be named a soldier.

Yeah, apparently people should spit on me and call me an idiot for taking South America XD

Dude, I just meant it makes it harder. I wasn't doing that :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited October 2012
    I've never seen the A.I. serve up sectoids on a platter like that before.

Ever thought about streaming it before you turn it into a video? I keep wanting to say things but it is in the past :|

Retaba on
    Retaba wrote: »
    I've never seen the A.I. serve up sectoids on a platter like that before.

Ever thought about streaming it before you turn it into a video? I keep wanting to say things but it is in the past :|

Don't have a connection to stream and not a fan of having people tell me what to do, sorry.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Don't tell me what to do, mom. I play video games on my OWN terms.

NIce video game video.

Are you the magic man?
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Out of curiosity, what kind of mic/headset and capture software are you using?

mr_mich wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what kind of mic/headset and capture software are you using?

I'm using a Logitech USB headset, capturing my voice with Audacity and I use FRAPS to capture video.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying the LP so far. Why do you place such a high priority on capturing and researching the Outsider, though? That seems kind of like a waste of time. There's no short-term benefit that I can remember, and it's not like you're going to go anywhere near the next major part of the mission without at least a full six-person squad with armor and beam weapons. Why not get a head start on combat tech first and then deal with the Outsider later? They're equally easy to capture in just about all UFO types, but Floaters are kind of a pain to grab when they're out in the open.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited October 2012
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I've been enjoying the LP so far. Why do you place such a high priority on capturing and researching the Outsider, though? That seems kind of like a waste of time. There's no short-term benefit that I can remember, and it's not like you're going to go anywhere near the next major part of the mission without at least a full six-person squad with armor and beam weapons. Why not get a head start on combat tech first and then deal with the Outsider later? They're equally easy to capture in just about all UFO types, but Floaters are kind of a pain to grab when they're out in the open.

I don't REALLY need a 6 person squad for the Alien Base and I want to do it as quickly as possible cause it gives me huge breathing room by reducing panic worldwide by 2.

But we'll see, depending on how things go, I might change research around a bit.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Rushing into the base invasion at a low tech level just seems so dangerous to me. Wiping in there on Ironman in like month three or whatever is probably a game-ender, and there isn't any real penalty for putting it off for a while as long as you aren't losing so many nations that you're actually going to lose the game.

On the other hand, I did the exact opposite, and that was also a mistake. I was hemorrhaging nations like crazy for the first three-ish months (not only did I screw up my satellite build early on, but I lost both India and China to an unwinnable terror mission in March), but once I accepted Asia as a lost cause things settled down and never got bad again, so I didn't feel pressured to rush into it. I wound up taking the base with full plasma and partial titan armor, which was way overkill. Sectopods had already shown up by then, though, so now I'm going to be stuck dealing with the full might of the aliens for months on end while I
    train up a max-rank psion pretty much from scratch to run the Gollup Chamber. Getting a head start on that would have been a huge plus.

Still, there's no way I'd want to go in there without a six-person squad and at least a couple of very high-ranked soldiers. The penalty for failure is immense and the penalty for delaying it a couple of months is usually minor as long as you're keeping up with things elsewhere.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    How come I bite it so quickly anyway... D:

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Well if henroid say's the 3 month thing doesn't matter, who would? :P

steam_sig.png
    Helloween wrote: »

Helloween 2.0 makes up for that in spades, don't worry!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Americans clap when they shoot down a UFO.

What do Germans do? :P

Capture.jpg~original
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    Oh man, I hope I got my info submitted soon enough...

edited October 2012

Eat currywurst of course!

Helloween 2.0 better kill more mans, he be Groocin for a Brucin

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!

Eat currywurst of course!

Helloween 2.0 better kill more mans, he be Groocin for a Brucin

I think he is at almost 10 kills now!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I keep feeling tempted to buy this game, but I know with absolute certainty that the inherently random nature would frustrate me to no end.

For the time being, I'll settle for this LP. All the entertainment I need and I get to avoid the frustration of missing four easy shots and then getting vaporised by the return fire.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    I keep feeling tempted to buy this game, but I know with absolute certainty that the inherently random nature would frustrate me to no end.

For the time being, I'll settle for this LP. All the entertainment I need and I get to avoid the frustration of missing four easy shots and then getting vaporised by the return fire.

Remember that I am playing on classic.
    If you were to play on Normal you'd see my shots hitting a lot more,cause the game basically "cheats" in your favor a bit.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg

Mr. Shotty can save you from a lot of things, but one thing it cannot save you from is the random number generator. Nothing saves you from that.

Aegeri wrote: »

Mr. Shotty can save you from a lot of things, but one thing it cannot save you from is the random number generator. Nothing saves you from that.

To be fair, I should have just retreated him or let him hunker down.
    Ah well, shit happens (and will continue to do so!).

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    I am really enjoying this LP so far at set 4. You should number your Helloween clones incidentally.

I have to admit, I am most looking forward to the first terror mission you go on. It's always the time when classic becomes shit or get off the toilet mode.

Aegeri wrote: »
    I am really enjoying this LP so far at set 4. You should number your Helloween clones incidentally.

I have to admit, I am most looking forward to the first terror mission you go on. It's always the time when classic becomes shit or get off the toilet mode.

Thanks man, glad to hear!
    And good idea about the numbering...

Yeah, first TM will be interesting,but now that I have Laser Rifles, it should work out.
    I will probably have to go with 4 guys though. We'll see!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    Kitsuna wrote: »

Remember that I am playing on classic.
    If you were to play on Normal you'd see my shots hitting a lot more,cause the game basically "cheats" in your favor a bit.

Really?

In that case, I think I foresee laser rifles and alien autopsies in my future.

MGRSig2.jpg
    @Klyka: Next time you abandon Pretoria, South Africa to the aliens we're gonna have words.

My girlfriend lives there, you mad bastard! :P

Capture.jpg~original
    @Klyka: Next time you abandon Pretoria, South Africa to the aliens we're gonna have words.

My girlfriend lives there, you mad bastard! :P

Now I know who to spy on when I put a satellite over there ;)

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I've already been watching one XCOM-LP on Youtube. Hmm. Research a day with more hours in it!

Numbered Helloween clones seems the best plan! Just to be safe.

Youtube Channel!
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    I got my eyes on (this thread).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png