As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Also, if you don't turn the screen off, it'll stay on, but if you put it to sleep, the lockscreen will be the map/directions, and it'll also light up whenever its giving you a new direction. Very nice feature.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So since it's CNN it's possible it's just a few people that don't know how to use their phones, but...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/01/technology/iphone-5-data-overage/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
    Scores of iPhone 5 users hit Apple's support forums over the past week to exchange anecdotal reports on a scary bug: Their phones appeared to be sucking down cellular data even when they were connected to a Wi-Fi network, resulting in big overages as they blew through their monthly data caps.

Apple hasn't publicly commented on how widespread the bug is, but the company confirmed its existence on Sunday when it pushed out a software update aimed at fixing it for customers on Verizon's network.

Gdiguy on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    ALWAYS plug in when using it as a GPS. That's been true for ages now... well, at least for people who purchased turn by turn apps back in the pre-iOS6 days.

total battery killer, that feature.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I guess I never thought about how much battery it eats up, because anytime I'm using it in the car, it's plugged in and charging. But yeah, that's bound to absolutely devour battery life otherwise.

This is the kicker... by the time we were just outside Chicago I noticed the battery was low (<10%), so I plugged it in. It wasn't just the USB charger either, my car's got a 110v wall-style plug on the front console, so I plugged it into that. It still chewed through another 8% of battery life while I was actively charging it. I've heard of it doing that if you're playing a really graphics/cpu-intense game, but maybe navigation takes a similar toll on the device?
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Also, if you don't turn the screen off, it'll stay on, but if you put it to sleep, the lockscreen will be the map/directions, and it'll also light up whenever its giving you a new direction. Very nice feature.

I noticed that too. The turning itself back on when something you need to do is coming up is awful nice. That way you're not constantly checking "am I coming up on 5 miles? 2 miles? 1 mile? Did I miss it?"

iTunesIsEvil on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I guess I never thought about how much battery it eats up, because anytime I'm using it in the car, it's plugged in and charging. But yeah, that's bound to absolutely devour battery life otherwise.

This is the kicker... by the time we were just outside Chicago I noticed the battery was low (<10%), so I plugged it in. It wasn't just the USB charger either, my car's got a 110v wall-style plug on the front console, so I plugged it into that. It still chewed through another 8% of battery life while I was actively charging it. I've heard of it doing that if you're playing a really graphics/cpu-intense game, but maybe navigation takes a similar toll on the device?

Oh wow, that's weird. Mine (a 4S) definitely charges while doing turn-by-turn. Mine's plugged into a cigarette lighter thing with a USB port. I spent most of the day driving the other day. I started off at around 80-something%, but by the end of my errands it was all the way to 100%.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Weird... now I'm gonna be messing with my iPad all night trying to see if it was sucking down data in some other manner...

It is a Verizon iPad. Maybe I got hit by whatever that cell/wifi data bug was that Apple pushed an update for recently? Murg.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    The New iPad is brutal on power needs - unless you are 100% certain that it is a high power USB port that negotiates the full 10w in the fashion Apple expects to see, it will eat battery.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Weird... now I'm gonna be messing with my iPad all night trying to see if it was sucking down data in some other manner...

It is a Verizon iPad. Maybe I got hit by whatever that cell/wifi data bug was that Apple pushed an update for recently? Murg.

Oh, I didn't realize it was an iPad. Yeah, they're often difficult to charge even when they're not doing anything at all, so it doesn't surprise me that it drained while plugged in if you were using turn-by-turn directions.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Different question! What's your favorite note-taking (ie for a class) app for the iPad. Things that I'd consider sort of important: usability and flexibility, both typing and handwriting/drawing, being able to take notes directly on a PPT would be cool, and price. But curious what other people use even if it doesn't match those or whatnot

Notability is probably right up your alley. It's also on sale for a buck right now.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Different question! What's your favorite note-taking (ie for a class) app for the iPad. Things that I'd consider sort of important: usability and flexibility, both typing and handwriting/drawing, being able to take notes directly on a PPT would be cool, and price. But curious what other people use even if it doesn't match those or whatnot

Notability is probably right up your alley. It's also on sale for a buck right now.
    Oh my goodness, this looks perfect in every way.

You are fantastic.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    Anyone know anything about the Lighting Adapter? like does it work with car stereo iPod adapters? I know they removed some analog components but I wasn't sure exactly what was removed. I don't car about video out or anything like that just wondering if my car's 30pin cable with an adapter will still let me play music/books through the car stereo.

smokmnky wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the Lighting Adapter? like does it work with car stereo iPod adapters? I know they removed some analog components but I wasn't sure exactly what was removed. I don't car about video out or anything like that just wondering if my car's 30pin cable with an adapter will still let me play music/books through the car stereo.

The only thing removed was "iPod Out" which is specifically an iPod interface that some car stereos had, not audio out. So, with the adapter, you should be able to play it just fine in your car.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My living room surround sound amplifier uses the "iPod Out" stuff to let me browse through my iPhone's music on my TV and then play it. Wonder why Apple decided to remove that. Without it, you get a much more rudimentary interface to play music from.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »
    To me this has been an eye opening experience - previous google map integration was an outlier and the third party app treatment going forward will be a lot more like how chrome is treated in ios. That suggests what Apple's desired end-game will be for its walled garden content model: shutting out competitors when they don't want to pay licensing fees, even the competitor offers a superior experience for the user. It's more cost-efficient in the long run for Apple to develop their own stuff than license it, and that approach is problematic when they simultaneously refuse to be allow third party apps to out-compete them in core functions - e.g. the way competitor browsers are limited. I could see the EU competition people coming down on this when they figure out what it all means in a couple of years, as it will strike them as analogous to how microsoft integrated IE into desktops in the 90s.

I'm sure apple's UX will be fine in a few months, either because google releases its map app or apple fixes its own, but from a long-term perspective I don't see why my dollars should support Apple's anti-competitive behavior - it will reduce competition in the long run and therefore my UX will suffer regardless of whose phone I am using a decade from now.

Google tried to strong-arm apple into giving them their user data in exchange for the features they were able to lord over iOS on Android, like turn based navigation and vector maps.

Apple made their own product instead of giving that information to a direct competitor. A competitor who has actually used exploits against their web browser (safari) to further mine these users for browsing data and habits. Furthermore, Apple is promoting OTHER map apps and telling people to use them if they need to in this interim period. If google had a google maps app ready, you can bet that apple would put it on the store right now.

The truth is... I know nearly ten people with either the 4s or 5, and we haven't been complaining about maps at all. I got one bad POI, but otherwise it has been aces, even finding hole in the wall speakeasy bars in manhattan or fondue restaurants in raleigh, NC. It is significantly better than google maps was at the launch of their service, and after this initial hiccup (one Apple readily admits was not up to their standard), it will be fine.

I plan to submit an error report for every little thing I find. As do others.

It's not like I like google, but it shows that Apple, all things equal, would rather exclude competition from the app store. The only thing that keeps any provider honest is effective competition. I'm not sure what can be done to check the long march towards an ever-more-restrictive app environment that eventually will force us to download OSX applications through itunes, which is depressing as apple makes the only decent laptops to be had.

fwKS7.png?1
    It's not like I like google, but it shows that Apple, all things equal, would rather exclude competition from the app store. The only thing that keeps any provider honest is effective competition. I'm not sure what can be done to check the long march towards an ever-more-restrictive app environment that eventually will force us to download OSX applications through itunes, which is depressing as apple makes the only decent laptops to be had.

But it isn't what they are doing at all. They have a section on the app store featured on the front page for competing map products, and as soon as google submits something you bet your ass Apple will approve it.

Apple just didn't want to give Google, the maker of a competing smartphone platform, access to the user info of all the iOS users. Which seems fair.

That said, I think next year google maps is going to straight up stop working on my iPad 1 when the contract ends, so that's going to suck.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    To me this has been an eye opening experience - previous google map integration was an outlier and the third party app treatment going forward will be a lot more like how chrome is treated in ios. That suggests what Apple's desired end-game will be for its walled garden content model: shutting out competitors when they don't want to pay licensing fees, even the competitor offers a superior experience for the user. It's more cost-efficient in the long run for Apple to develop their own stuff than license it, and that approach is problematic when they simultaneously refuse to be allow third party apps to out-compete them in core functions - e.g. the way competitor browsers are limited. I could see the EU competition people coming down on this when they figure out what it all means in a couple of years, as it will strike them as analogous to how microsoft integrated IE into desktops in the 90s.

I'm sure apple's UX will be fine in a few months, either because google releases its map app or apple fixes its own, but from a long-term perspective I don't see why my dollars should support Apple's anti-competitive behavior - it will reduce competition in the long run and therefore my UX will suffer regardless of whose phone I am using a decade from now.

Google tried to strong-arm apple into giving them their user data in exchange for the features they were able to lord over iOS on Android, like turn based navigation and vector maps.

Apple made their own product instead of giving that information to a direct competitor. A competitor who has actually used exploits against their web browser (safari) to further mine these users for browsing data and habits. Furthermore, Apple is promoting OTHER map apps and telling people to use them if they need to in this interim period. If google had a google maps app ready, you can bet that apple would put it on the store right now.

The truth is... I know nearly ten people with either the 4s or 5, and we haven't been complaining about maps at all. I got one bad POI, but otherwise it has been aces, even finding hole in the wall speakeasy bars in manhattan or fondue restaurants in raleigh, NC. It is significantly better than google maps was at the launch of their service, and after this initial hiccup (one Apple readily admits was not up to their standard), it will be fine.

I plan to submit an error report for every little thing I find. As do others.

Clearly you've never owned an ASUS laptop...

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I did.

I died after a year and a half!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    See? It outlived you!

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Having literally just bought a MacBook Air in the last 24 hours, I can concur that Apple makes ridiculously gorgeous notebooks (in this case an ultrabook).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Having literally just bought a MacBook Air in the last 24 hours, I can concur that Apple makes ridiculously gorgeous notebooks (in this case an ultrabook).
    Well, they and intel more or less created this format together, and everyone else came along for the ride shortly thereafter.

And yes, the MacBook Air is one of the nicest computers I have ever owned.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    But some of the companies are just.. ugh.

The last Toshiba Ultrabook I saw felt like I'd break it just picking it up. The plastic was so cheap. And then Samsung has an ultrabook that just baaaarely meets ultrabook standards, as it still has a optical drive. They specifically attempted to make the largest ultrabook they could. Which just seems weird.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bought a Macbook Air last year before a big trip to Florida - it was either that or some hideous thirty-pound Dell monster and oh my god I love this machine.

So light I can basically take it wherever and not feel weighted down - like, I'm going out so maybe I'll take my computer, and I never feel bad about that.

And 13" is more than enough room to work in, I honestly don't feel constrained.

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    So fanboys...

What's the best iPad keyboard case?

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Logitech has this one that MG Siegler said was pretty much the bestevez.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Well, it's done. I went ahead and ordered the 5. Ship date from Verizon has slipped all the way to November, but it's going to be a birthday present and my b-day isn't until around then anyway. At least it'll give me plenty of time to find a case.

Still a little hesitant to upgrade since I don't really use my phone much, but I kinda feel like my Droid X is nearing it's last legs and if I wait any longer it's going to be fucking impossible to find one until after the new year at the earliest. So whatever, it's done.

EDIT: Speaking of cases...what do people recommend? I'm primarily looking for something that'll keep it from getting scratched up, but something comfortable and that doesn't add much weight or bulk is also preferred. Oh, and not bank-breaking.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Just get a scratch guard then if that's all you're or worried about.

Cases eventually have dirt get into them and can do worse scratches than just ceaseless in pockets.

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    So google only turns up answers from 2010 which are obviously hopelessly out of date.

Id like to be able to watch Netflix in the car while I'm waiting at various place, but it treats it like it is plugged into a tv, and sends the video to my car, which cannot display it. Any way to disable video-out?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So I'm able to replicate this pretty consistently, can someone else try please? On iPad 2 and iOS 6:

Go to the App Store.
    Search for something (this may be optional)
    Go to the Updates section of the App Store
    Leave the App Store. You may need to actually close out of it completely (double click the home button, hold down on the App Store icon, then hit the red thingie)
    Go back into the App Store, and click on the search bar up top.

The App Store then crashes. I think this is because the Updates page is not supposed to have a search bar, but it does for a while. Many of the steps above may be optional, actually, but without thorough testing I know the above works.

I just want to see if I'm having issues, or if its a more universal software issue. Thanks

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Oh man, I am loving the following combo for my iPad, Tablet Claw + ArmorSuit Military Shield. The claw was a kickstarter designed for public speakers to one-hand the iPad. The iPad has never been more natural to teach/preach from.
    Also, having scratched 2 iPad 2s with my fingernail, I'm happy to finally have a protector on that doesn't mess up the visuals. Bad part: a dog hair is under the screen (around the border though).

Xaviar wrote: »
    So google only turns up answers from 2010 which are obviously hopelessly out of date.

Id like to be able to watch Netflix in the car while I'm waiting at various place, but it treats it like it is plugged into a tv, and sends the video to my car, which cannot display it. Any way to disable video-out?

Try double tapping the home button, and scrolling the lower bar twice over to the volume and airplay controller. From there you should be able to choose where you are sending your video signal to. Just tap the airplay icon.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    The airplay icon disappears when it's plugged in =(

• KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    I really like the Sena ultraslim cases, and have one for my iPhone 5. Personal preference of course but I hate a permanent case on my phone but like the protection it provides in my pocket etc and they look nice and are amazing quality.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I've got a question about managing documents in apps. I can't find any global way to delete documents, without deleting the whole app, in the storage section of the settings. This might be ok if the apps were not terrible about this, but I can't find any way to delete documents in my WSJ or my perfect RSS apps.

And if I want to delete the documents off the ipad and move them to the icloud, I'm at a loss as well. Like, I want to delete Cthulhu saves the world but keep the game saves in the cloud, but there's no option in the app, and the icloud section of the settings doesn't seem to allow direct me to this function.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    In case you didn't see Apple's keynote today:

New 13-in MBP with Retina Display
    - Starting at $1699.

Refreshed Mac Mini
    - Starting at $599.

New iMac
    - Starting at $1299.

4th Gen iPad
    - Starting at $499.

iPad Mini
    - Starting at $329 for 16GB and WiFi.
    - WiFi versions ship November 2 and the cellular access versions ship November 16.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    In case you didn't see Apple's keynote today:

New 13-in MBP with Retina Display
    - Starting at $1699.

Refreshed Mac Mini
    - Starting at $599.

New iMac
    - Starting at $1199.

iPad Mini
    - Starting at $329 for 16GB and WiFi.

And a refreshed iPad.

Based on what I've read on Twitter I am not alone in being extremely pissed off that the iPad I bought in March has already been replaced.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I got an iPad 3 in April... can't say I'm not a little disappointed.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    holy fuck the new imac is so fucking sexy
    let me sex you up imac

But seriously, first time this "IT'S THINNAR" trick actually worked on me.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2012
    Eh. My iPad 3 is just as awesome as it was back in April when I bought it. I'm not terribly concerned.

Besides, the iPad 4 is basically just a speed bump refresh. Nothing to really shit your pants over. That Mini is dead sexy, though.

minor incident on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    What, are you saying that this graph didn't convince you?

newipad.png

TWO-EX!?!?