As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's a big fucking bar.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Look, see, your Old iPad (which, I believe, is now the official name for it) only has 1, while the New iPad has 2. *POW*

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Damn. You guys are right. This thing sucks. And it's too thick to level out the wobbly leg on my kitchen table. WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Extrapolating downwards:

New iPad: 2
    Old iPad ("Twice as fast", with "four times the performance" of the A5): 1
    iPad 2 (9x the graphics of the iPad 1): .5
    iPad 1: .0555_

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Someone should tell my iPad 1 that he should just go ahead and kill himself, apparently.

edited October 2012
    With a number of only .0555_, I think he already is, from a medical standpoint.

Dehumanized on
    That's like, almost no bar, man.

• Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to get an iPad for awhile so that mini looks tempting. I'd want the 32gb version though, and then I may as well get the big boy. I won't be able to buy one until after I start my new job anyway, so maybe they'll have even newer versions then haha!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've decided to start a home for old iPads. Much like stray dogs and cats or the elderly, the older iPads have a hard time finding homes as they age. Not as thin as their younger counterparts, with less sharp vision and bars that just don't rise like they used to - it can be easy to dismiss them. I will give them a loving home where it's ok that their performance is poor or their memory isn't as speedy. I'll take them all in, like the Statue of Liberty of iPads.

On a serious note - I've been thinking about getting a used Touch. I don't have a dedicated mp3 player currently (I use a PSPGo). I like using my Go but the idea of having my library in the basement able to be synched via wifi while I sit upstairs on the couch sounds awesome. What should I be looking for in a used Touch in terms of generation to get the majority of the features of the newest generation?

I've decided to start a home for old iPads. Much like stray dogs and cats or the elderly, the older iPads have a hard time finding homes as they age. Not as thin as their younger counterparts, with less sharp vision and bars that just don't rise like they used to - it can be easy to dismiss them. I will give them a loving home where it's ok that their performance is poor or their memory isn't as speedy. I'll take them all in, like the Statue of Liberty of iPads.

On a serious note - I've been thinking about getting a used Touch. I don't have a dedicated mp3 player currently (I use a PSPGo). I like using my Go but the idea of having my library in the basement able to be synched via wifi while I sit upstairs on the couch sounds awesome. What should I be looking for in a used Touch in terms of generation to get the majority of the features of the newest generation?

The 4th gen touch is your best bet. It's been out for a long time, only just now being replaced by the new 5th gen (4" screen) Touch this month. It'll get you the retina screen, the built-in Nike+ stuff, and basically all the iOS 6 features that the iPhone 4/4S has, outside of Siri.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay, I own the iPhone 5 and have a recent Mac Air - so I really have no need for any version of an iPad.

The new iMac is a non-starter for me, because I need to bring my work with me.

So... I guess my wallet is safe for a while? Until they release a new Mac Air, I guess. God, I hope they take their time on that one. This one already does everything I need it to, but what if it could do all those things but with a bigger bar?

My wallet would never stand a chance.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I hate when Apple makes new products, because the Apple products I own spontaneously explode when a new version comes out.

wait...

Imperfect wrote: »
    Okay, I own the iPhone 5 and have a recent Mac Air - so I really have no need for any version of an iPad.

The new iMac is a non-starter for me, because I need to bring my work with me.

So... I guess my wallet is safe for a while? Until they release a new Mac Air, I guess. God, I hope they take their time on that one. This one already does everything I need it to, but what if it could do all those things but with a bigger bar?

My wallet would never stand a chance.

Just you wait, that bar might even go from 1 to 3

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they actually did announce a new full size iPad. I'd heard the rumor, but thought it was nonsense. I guess Apple wants to be on a unified fall schedule for all of their products and for all of them to have the Lightning connector.

Normally I'd be upset by this kind of announcement, but not today. The extra horsepower is only going to be noticeable in games and CPU-intensive apps like Maps. The latter I almost never use on my iPad and probably would never use even if it was an LTE model, and I find myself doing surprisingly little gaming. But for the things I do most on my iPad (Flipboard, video streaming, comics, and web), the new processor isn't going to make much difference.

What I am a bit concerned about is future support for the 3rd gen iPad. Apple seems to be on a 2 year support cycle for their devices with their OS upgrades, so did the 3rd gen's support just get cut by 6 months? Because that would actually be pretty shitty. Or will they take the other route and not even announce a new iPad next year, and put it on a schedule like the iPod touch or Macbook Pro? I don't really see what else they could do to improve on it. FaceTime finally got an HD camera, it's on the A6 processor family, and it has Lightning.

steam_sig.png
    It makes sense from a business standpoint to get everything on the same connector as fast as possible, but sure sucks for people who bought into the old new iPad. Probably not time to get too angry about it unless they do it again, though. Apple really needs to do right by their customers and treat the old new iPad as essentially the same as the new new iPad for any software support, though.

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Apple still supports the 3GS (for now) with iOS updates, so I think the Old New iPad will be fine for a few years.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    edited October 2012
    It makes sense from a business standpoint to get everything on the same connector as fast as possible, but sure sucks for people who bought into the old new iPad. Probably not time to get too angry about it unless they do it again, though. Apple really needs to do right by their customers and treat the old new iPad as essentially the same as the new new iPad for any software support, though.

It is if you bought a 3rd gen within the last month or two under the assumption that Apple was maintaining a consistent refresh cycle for the product. Knowing the device I was about to drop $500+ on was getting a rather nice hardware upgrade in a month or two would be information I'd like to have as a potential customer (if I were one).

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

It is if you bought a 3rd gen within the last month or two under the assumption that Apple was maintaining a consistent refresh cycle for the product. Knowing the device I was about to drop $500+ on was getting a rather nice hardware upgrade in a month or two would be information I'd like to have as a potential customer (if I were one).

This is what I did, it makes me a sad panda

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

No computer company ever gives that kind of information out though. Otherwise sales just fucking die on the vine for months until the new one happens.

As it is, I can't believe they announced new iMacs that won;t be out for 1.5 months... that may very well hurt mac sales this quarter.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Yeah, if you want an example of that effect... look at Lumia 900 sales, or PS Vita sales.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I really don't see the issue... I haven't run into anything that the iPad 3 has problems with and I doubt I will for a couple years to come... by then I'll be ready to buy a new one anyway.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am furious about this new update. As I'm sure my current iPad will magically stop working now.

It's a bit of a strange bump though.

The iPad's screen is the main juice sucker and is notoriously inefficient (hence the annoyingly slow charge times) they could have easily swapped out that screen and made it thinner (and lighter due to less battery) but they didn't. Seems strange.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    It seems like a fairly minor upgrade meant to get the lightning connector in the iPad. I guess it's kind of shitty to do such a quick refresh, but I suspect we'll see an even more worthwhile upgrade next cycle. The iPad mini is even using the same type of processor, so it's unlikely to even affect apps or software updates for a long time.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Owners of the iPad 2 should be doing a dance of joy for the existence of the iPad Mini.

This new product guarantees at least another two full updates to the OS for the iPad 2, as the memory and architecture are exactly the same.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't care much for iPads. My wife has the 32GB iPad 2, and it's cool... but it's kinda too big and heavy for a quick access device, or for reading long stuff like books and ARCs, and too limited and clunky to actually type and edit and move around different files compared to an actual computer. I do love my iPhone 4S, though, and I understand that many people have found great use for the iPad. I don't know if the mini ipad is small enough for me, though. I think I'll get a Nexux 7.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I honestly don't care much for iPads. My wife has the 32GB iPad 2, and it's cool... but it's kinda too big and heavy for a quick access device, or for reading long stuff like books and ARCs, and too limited and clunky to actually type and edit and move around different files compared to an actual computer. I do love my iPhone 4S, though, and I understand that many people have found great use for the iPad. I don't know if the mini ipad is small enough for me, though. I think I'll get a Nexux 7.
    Just be aware of the fact that the overwhelming majority of Android software has not been updated to make good use of the larger screen. So what you get are scaled up phone apps on the nexus 7 far more often then not, as opposed to a true tablet experience.

People tend to say that the iPad is just a big iPod touch until they start using one and see how the software makes full use of the screen. There is an unbelievable amount of wasted space on any given android tablet app 99% of the time, with stuff just stretched across the screen to fill it.

The Nexus 7 really does feel like an oversized android phone most of the time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Yeah, it was fair to call it a big iPod Touch about 2 years ago. Nowadays, not quite accurate or fair.

Now, the iPad Mini is just an undersized iPad 2. :rotate:

Any reason why I shouldn't get something like this for my iPhone 5? As far as I can tell it's the same thing as other hard cases that are $20-30.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2012
    Oh, no, I don't see the iPad as "a big iPod Touch". 2 minutes with Safari or Chrome will dispel that.
    I kinda want the Nexus 7 to use it as a modern PDA, actually. Not really for games or a billion apps, but for reading all the ARCs I get all the time, browsing, and google account stuff like docs and calendar and gmail.

I don't dislike the iPad at all, it's just that it doesn't fit my personal "Serious" usage needs. It's great for browsing while my wife is watching the telly, for instance ^^

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Any reason why I shouldn't get something like this for my iPhone 5? As far as I can tell it's the same thing as other hard cases that are $20-30.

There is always a risk with those knockoffs but they are so cheap that its never bothered having to toss one that had issues. And the knockoffs have been generally pretty decent overall.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So my fiancee seems to have had enough of my griping about wanting an iPad, and is looking at getting me a 32gb 3G mini for Christmas. Reading the 'reviews' online is pretty pointless since it's either by someone gushing over a new Apple product or griping that it's not an android tablet, and PA tends to be amazingly unbiased. So...

Am I going to be hurting for space with a 32gb? It'll mostly have ebooks, a few movies and games on it (since music is what my ipod and iphone are for). Are there any significant cuts from the normal ipad that I'm going to be wishing I had? Any pitfalls I should know about aside from the normal Apple Experience issues (like no expandable memory)?

32gb should be plenty for you. I have a 64gb iPad 3, but I keep around 40gb of music on it. The rest is a couple dozen games, and a bunch of books and comics, with a few movies at a time.

I can't see many pitfalls. The lower resolution screen is the only real drawback, but it's the same res as the iPad 2, so every app supports it and all. No waiting for updated versions of all your apps.

32GB is pretty decent, yeah.

camo_sig2.png
    I get by just fine with 32gb on my 3rd gen. The vast majority of the used space is occupied by comics, which may not be a problem for you.

If you want to be really lazy with managing space, then get a 64gb. If you don't mind managing space once in a while, then get the 32gb. I find that if I'm running out of space on my 32gb it's because I haven't done any spring cleaning on it and have unused apps or comics just sitting on it that I forgot about or was too lazy to delete. And if you use things like Plex (so awesome) and iTunes Match you'll probably have a hard time filling 32gb of storage even if you actively try to do so.

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Cool stuff. It's down to a Vita or a iPad Mini. Seems like the mini is winning. Also because it looks like the Vita will suffer the same way the PSP did.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure when or hy that was ever in doubt?
    The fate of the Vita, I mean.

I'm gonna have to go in store and actually mess around with a mini and a four before I really consider the switch though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited October 2012
    I was holding on to the hope that the Vita would actually take off. I don't want another handheld in the situation of 'few great games', lots of filler, shaky future'.

There's no debate between a mini and a 4 just based on price over here. An iPad 4 3G is just too expensive.

I really hope it works with all iBooks though. Cause I want to get the GW codexes and stuff on there.

-Loki- on
    -Loki- wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I was holding on to the hope that the Vita would actually take off. I don't want another handheld in the situation of 'few great games', lots of filler, shaky future'.

There's no debate between a mini and a 4 just based on price over here. An iPad 4 3G is just too expensive.

I really hope it works with all iBooks though. Cause I want to get the GW codexes and stuff on there.
    It is an iPad 2.

Everything is written to support the iPad 2. Everything.

all the books, apps, games... you will be fine.

the Mini is a shrunken version of the iPad 2 with 100% of the app support.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Good stuff.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Has anyone else had a slight problem with ios6 and an iPhone 4/4s accessing WPA2 networks? Mine seems to disconnect from my network with regularity since I updated. Ive searched around some and there are some threads talking about losing the wifi connection altogether. But i dont see anything about being able to access it and then losing it every 5 minutes or so. Then I have to go and re-log in to my wifi. Then it just disconnects again. Is there a fix for this?

Barcardi on