As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you could change your Race.

GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I had to roll a d20 before deciding whether or not to make this thread and you can guess how that turned out.

Anyway, lets say, that in the future it became very possible to basically change your entire appearance to make yourself into a typical member of any other race. It was also relatively cheap. Lets say people were already doing it. Often it enough that it mattered. White guys can become black guys, black guys can become white guys. People can be asians, indian, whatever.. Could even choose your kids to be a different race before they are born.

Would you do it? To what race(s)? And even if you don't, and other people still do, what would it mean for society? I'm trying to picture a world where this happens all the fucking time, and I don't know if it would increase racism or decrease it.

Because now, I'm starting to believe that the only reason civil people generally tend to not be racist is because they know a person can't really help that they are of a certain race. Can't really hate a man for something he can't control without being a douche. This is off topic but it's also like hating someone for being gay when you know they have no choice.

But if they did have a choice now with this new technology, and likewise, people had the choice of choosing their own race... would it eventually mean a return of the Holocausts? Genocides? Hate crimes? Even more stereotyping? People who choose 'X', are likely to also choose to be killers, bastards, rapists, and thieves?

Or would the evil men from all races flock toward becoming members of the stereotypical "good" races and thus bring them down too over time, eventually balancing out all the races again and making them all equally shitty?

No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
DarkPrimus wrote: »
Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
Gorgeeen on

• Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i would

change myself into the race "purple"

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    It depends. If I became an elf, would I get the stat bonuses and the 120' dark vision?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would become a teletubbie.

Or a keebler elf. Because they make fantastic cookies.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd only ever want -additions- to my racial background. I deeply enjoy being a mutt. I'd just like to have less frizzy hair on my head, and maybe less hair on my body.

But man. I would never want to be mono-racial.

--

Alternatively: Thri-kreen

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cpsi_gallery/96402.jpg

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i would be black, so i could dunk and also so i could have a large penis

then, for school, i'd be asian so i could be super smart

and after i graduate and get laid with the black/asian combo, i'd turn back into a white guy because we get all the breaks all the time always

and then when i retire, i'd be mexican, because man do those dudes know how to relax and not do work

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    This thread is not a toilet guys.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I had a roommate who was half black, half Japanese.

He looked like Fred Savage.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've always kind of wanted to be an Eskimo, now that you mention it.

Or a midget, if midget counts as a race.

Or a combination. That would probably be best.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like being half mexican and half european.

I'm the most efficient job stealing mexican out there - you'll never see it coming.

I'm so white.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gorgeeen wrote: »
    This thread is not a toilet guys.

naw, it is, but that's cool

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's funny. I'm referred to as a banana.

Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

I'm a Malaysian-born Chinese living in Australia.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Here here on the Mexi-Pean thing.

Being Native American (same damned thing) I am either Mexican or Germanic depending on my sunlight exposure.

It's fricking awesome.

Also, everyone tries to claim you as one of their own race, which is quite a compliment.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If this were possible, then yes it is conceivable that there might be a small but testable correlation between racial choice and certain personality traits. These differences would be very tiny, though, and detectable only in extremely large sample sizes. They wouldn't matter much in daily life, except for the odd asshat who read about such a study on Yahoo! News and decides to use it to justify all sorts of stupid prejudices.

However, I don't think we'd see anything along the lines of the holocaust or wide-scale violence. You're basically decoupling race from identity here; people commit serious acts of racial violence because they perceive people of other races to be significantly different from them. If race no longer telegraphs any meaningful difference in identity, why would people commit violence on a large scale over it? It would be as absurd as committing genocide against people with blue eyes. And if they did, why would anybody choose to remain a victim for something that cosmetic if they could easily change their skin color and blend in?

What we might see, though, is more minor racial discrimination. For example, maybe somebody opens a sushi restaurant and decides that all his sushi chefs should look Japanese, therefore if you want to get a job with him you need to go back to the clinic and get your racial reassignment procedure done.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm part Cherokee, part German, and part Scottish.

Noone tries to claim me.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    What we might see, though, is more minor racial discrimination. For example, maybe somebody opens a sushi restaurant and decides that all his sushi chefs should look Japanese, therefore if you want to get a job with him you need to go back to the clinic and get your racial reassignment procedure done.

Oh god.

It would be the new Boob Job or Starvation.

--

I'm part of pretty much all the Germanic type peoples - English, Welsh, French, German, Swedish, etc.

The French part is probably why everyone wants me.

Or maybe it's because Cherokee is the Choctaw (one of my tribes) term for "Cave Dweller"

You're a Ani-yun'wiya' or a Tsalag if you want to use your own people's language.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I bet if I were Asian I'd be a lot less hairy.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd stay white.

That sounds offensive, but there you have it.

Doc on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    protoss
    (as long as i don't have to be something lame like the peon)

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd like to be able to tan instead of just burning. That would be nice.

(I'm English, Irish, Scottish, and Cherokee. My younger brother got the tan skin and dark hair, and I look like Conan O'Brien >_<)

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd be an elder of a gentle race this world has seldom seen. They talk of days for which they sit and wait when all will be revealed.

Gim on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd think more people would pick and choose features, and not really depending on race. Larger eyes, less hair in certain places, a desirable height, etc. It would probably mean a lot of people would want to lighten their skin colour (there are enough products trying to do so in asian countries as it is).

Me? I'd probably not want to change anything much. I like not burning in the sun, and I can't imagine myself pinkish or brownish. If it got wildly artistic (blue people) maybe I'd experiment with that, but I can't see myself wanting to change myself permanently.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Noone tries to claim me.

That's disturbingly similar to me, except I'm Cree.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    kree?
    jk :P

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How quickly does this process work? Because I'm hella white and this makes a day at the beach an annoying affair of worrying a lot about sunscreen. My facial type etc. really wouldn't work for being black, but temporarily have a lot more melanin would be nifty.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How quickly does this process work? Because I'm hella white and this makes a day at the beach an annoying affair of worrying a lot about sunscreen. My facial type etc. really wouldn't work for being black, but temporarily have a lot more melanin would be nifty.

plus the rampant racism associated with being black

you know

i'm sure that wouldn't work with you either.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't change. I don't really see a reason to. I'm half Sicilian and half northern Italian.

I guess I wouldn't mind making myself 100% Sicilian but that doesn't really fit in this thread and ultimately isn't something I really care about.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

plus the rampant racism associated with being black

you know

i'm sure that wouldn't work with you either.
    In a world where anyone, anywhere can be any race they want by appearance, racism would all but go extinct very quickly except for obvious fringe groups.

Sadly this would probably have the precursor of a lot of people turning themselves white.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I dunno, I think I'd go a few shades darker. I can see my veins D:

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm English, why would I want to change to an inferior race? :P

Although, in reality, I'm 1/2 Welsh, 1/4 Irish and 1/4 English and depending how far back I go I think I'm actually less English than anything else.

Gorak on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I'm part of pretty much all the Germanic type peoples - Welsh

as much as I hate having to be the angry welsh guy all the time

the welsh are almost definitively non-germanic

the wel- or wal- prefix that many countries and regions hold was generally attributed to places inhabited by non-germanic peoples or tribes when they were encountered by germanic peoples

just a heads up

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd probably change my skin colour to black. The only thing white skin gets you in today's age is sunburn and cancer.

Edit: I too can see my veins, at least on my inner arms and palms. I'd rather not have semi-transparent skin thanks.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd make myself less white, because I don't even tan- I just burn.

Ideally, I'd just be hooked up with a Culture neural net and accessories so I can change it whenever I want. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, my question is this. I have lived now 31 years with the fact that I'm a white person being a major part of my self-identity. That's not to say I'm proud of being white, or ashamed of being white, but the fact that I'm white is part of me along with my blue eyes and hay fever and all that.

If I were to change my race, would that as well alter my memories/self-view, or would I still consider myself a white person just with different appearance?

I have no interest in changing my race, and I suspect I wouldn't if I had been born a different race (though I can't be sure, because that would have surely changed my viewpoint). That said, I would love a little extra melanin...us pale pink Northern European types tend to burn easily.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Noone tries to claim me.

As am I, though the German is tiny and I also have a nice shot of Irish.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How about being an albino?

Everyone fears an albino.

Edit: If we're trading breeds, I'm half German, maybe a third English and the rest Irish. I think there's one assorted native american back there somewhere.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm pretty sure albino isn't a race.

In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of things mentioned here aren't races at all.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Edit: If we're trading breeds, I'm half German, maybe a third English and the rest Irish. I think there's one assorted native american back there somewhere.

This is basically me just without the native American.
    I'm pretty sure albino isn't a race.

It's not, it's a mutation in which you produce no skin pigment I'm almost certain.

Leitner on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's not, but if we could change skin color to anything else, we could certainly do albinoism.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would be whatever race Tyrese Gibson is. Because he is hot.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Id stay just the way I am. Im black, and thus superior.

Seriously though, I wouldnt change my race, none really appeal to me. Cept maybe Japanese, they're pretty interesting. If I could change Id probably just add some Japanese into my bloodline.

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.