As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW]More dots, more dots.... okay stop dots (Warlock thread)

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, never mind :P
    Got the cloth for my frozen shadoweave robes.
    Just need to get the last 16 water primals..

Rizzi on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doku-san wrote: »
    Well, never mind :P

That reminds me. Need to farm primals on riz's warlock. I continue to be amazed at how easy it is. I've played a shadowpriest, a (poorly geared) mage, and a rogue. And nothing even begins to approach grinding on a warlock.

exis on
    edited July 2007
    Just got out of my first heroic instance. I am.. Bored.
    TK instances, the only thing I want is the belt from Arc.
    We did Mech.
    /puke

Rizzi on
  • Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just got out of my first heroic instance. I am.. Bored.

:lol: Try heroic BM or OH. Now those will definitely not make you bored. ;)

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
    edited July 2007
    Yea.. I gotta get attuned for them first. Which means I gotta run 10000 more pugs first.. Really doesn't seem worth it.
    Everyone in my guild was telling me how "awesome" mechanar was on heroic..
    "Here guys have some tokens that you need a bazillion of for anything good"
    Wow! Awesome!
    "Here guys have some sub-par level 70 blue loot"
    Wow! Awesome!

Rizzi on
    edited July 2007

Frozen Shadoweave kicks ass. I passed on my T4 shoulders today and opted to keep my FS instead -- they're just that good. I'll be passing on my T5 as well probably (when we finally get people to stay on long enough to get that bastard down).

Fishing FTW! You can fish about 2 primal waters in literally 5 minutes. :)
    Everyone in my guild was telling me how "awesome" mechanar was on heroic..

Meh, I find Mech rather boring. Only reason I ever do it is because the first 3 badges are literally a walk in the park.
    "Here guys have some sub-par level 70 blue loot"
    Wow! Awesome!

Most bosses drop the same blues as non-heroic, or at least equivalent crappy blues. It's the badges that really matter and even more, it's the kickass epics that drop off the final boss in each heroic. Those are why you should do heroics.

Viper007Bond on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Mechanaar is 'awesome' on heroic because the first three bosses are super quick and super easy. If it didn't lock you for a day, some people would never leave the place.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited July 2007
    Meh. The end bosses loot is rather sup-par for my warlock in TK.
    I guess I should save up for the offhand that everyone seems to use though.

Rizzi on
    edited July 2007

Frozen Shadoweave kicks ass. I passed on my T4 shoulders today and opted to keep my FS instead -- they're just that good. I'll be passing on my T5 as well probably (when we finally get people to stay on long enough to get that bastard down).

Why? I'm assuming you're talking about the shoulders, which are better than Frozen Shadoweave (I haven't looked at the other pieces, but I'd assume they're the same). And the set bonus doesn't really seem that great. When do warlocks run out of mana anyway?

exis on
    edited July 2007
    exis wrote: »
    Why? I'm assuming you're talking about the shoulders, which are better than Frozen Shadoweave (I haven't looked at the other pieces, but I'd assume they're the same). And the set bonus doesn't really seem that great. When do warlocks run out of mana anyway?

My server's down at the moment, so I can't get the exact numbers, but I'd loose something like 10 damage (I thought it was more than that, hmm). Then again, I would gain 14 hit (fuck, I need hit) and a little hp and mana (meh).

But don't underestimate the set bonus. Each shadow bolt heals me for 60 to 125.

*sigh* Now that I think of it though, I'm starting to regret passing on the T4 now, damnit. T5 I definitely don't want (the set bonus sucks), but those T4 are starting to look nicer and nicer. Plus the T4 (4) set isn't half bad...

Oh well, I can take solace in that I rolled for fun (to see what I woulda gotten) and I wouldn't have won anyway. heh

Next week perhaps...

Viper007Bond on
    edited July 2007
    Four out of sixteen primal waters done.
    My eyes hurt..

Rizzi on
    edited July 2007
    Four out of sixteen primal waters done.
    My eyes hurt..

The eels NE of Shat are easy to kill and drop motes of water. I farmed TONS of the ones on Elemental Plat., but I think those eels might be easier.

Viper007Bond on
    edited July 2007
    I'll kill anything if it means I dont need to swim. The water gives me a headache..

Rizzi on
    edited July 2007
    Woo. Full Frozen Shadoweave set.
    Now to try and get the pattern for the battlecast hood etc.

Rizzi on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

My server's down at the moment, so I can't get the exact numbers, but I'd loose something like 10 damage (I thought it was more than that, hmm). Then again, I would gain 14 hit (fuck, I need hit) and a little hp and mana (meh).

But don't underestimate the set bonus. Each shadow bolt heals me for 60 to 125.

*sigh* Now that I think of it though, I'm starting to regret passing on the T4 now, damnit. T5 I definitely don't want (the set bonus sucks), but those T4 are starting to look nicer and nicer. Plus the T4 (4) set isn't half bad...

Oh well, I can take solace in that I rolled for fun (to see what I woulda gotten) and I wouldn't have won anyway. heh

Next week perhaps...

The T5 four-piece is awesome though. And if you're low on hit, the shoulders are a huge upgrade in that sense. I think with proper socketing I lost like 5 shadow damage for more stam, more int, and a lot more hit. It's arguable about the set bonus but there's few fights where I even approach mana issues (Void Reaver, fucking robots; Tidewalker if I get tombed a lot), it's nice but just not necessary.

riz on
    edited July 2007
    Now to try and get the pattern for the SPELLSTRIKE hood etc.

FixT

riz on
    edited July 2007
    riz wrote: »
    Now to try and get the pattern for the SPELLSTRIKE hood etc.

FixT

I.. I need crit?
    I'd rather the stam coming out the ass. I do plan on doing some PvP aswell..

Rizzi on
    edited July 2007
    Spellstrike has a little bit more damage plus all that hit, and crit doesn't exactly do nothing when half the DPS of an affliction lock is still shadowbolt spam, plus ISB procs are win. I guess if you're not raiding you don't care much about hit but it pains me to see people ignore that stat. It's so big.

Edit: Also, the set bonus!

riz on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Riz, Spellstrike or T4 hat? Or the hat of Netherspite? Different strokes, etc?

silence1186 on
    edited July 2007
    Riz, Spellstrike or T4 hat? Or the hat of Netherspite? Different strokes, etc?

Spellstriiiiiike. The Netherspite one is Spellstrike minus two gem sockets. Voidheart is decent but still less damage and no hit. Value of a meta socket is debatable I guess.

riz on
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Spellstrike is superior, but holy moly is it butt ugly. I have my helm turned off cause I hate how it looks. I have my T4 helm, and I wish it was better, cause it looks badass.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Any tips on getting to 58 from 51 as an affliction lock? I'm kinda screwed right now as most of my quests are orange and spread out all over the damn place.

BlueDestiny on
  • bearsuitbearsuit Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Any tips on getting to 58 from 51 as an affliction lock? I'm kinda screwed right now as most of my quests are orange and spread out all over the damn place.

Grind it, or use a leveling guide like Jame's.

bearsuit on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Felwood should get you to 55, at which point you can go rock in Winterspring for awhile.

Felwood is good too cause you can farm demons which drop shit tailors want, so if you are a tailor good for you. If you are not, good for you gold count.

Then in winterspring you can get Firewater's from the furblogs. Which is nice because there is nothing scarier than a warlock, except a bigger warlock O_o

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited August 2007
    Soooo.. I just picked up this Mana-Etched Crown
    Not quite sure if I shoud wear it.
    I have Hydromancer's Headwrap with a swift starfire diamond, in it and the Sha'tar spell damage and spell hit enchant on it.
    Is it worth putting them on the Crown as well and wearing that?

Rizzi on
  • ApplebeeApplebee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    With 3k hits and 6k crits and 17% spell
    crit you shadowbolts do

6x0.17+3x0.83= 3.51K damage

= 1400 DPS

immolate =

1000 damage + 1200 over time

= 1466 DPS

so you gain a bit of damage, but lose 0.17 of a shadow vunerability proc, so it could go either way depending on how many shadow users and how many other warlocks there are.

Applebee on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    BLAAAAAAAAH. So my raid needed another warlock for Magtheridon, so I got off my warrior and brought my lock in. Now my lock's gear isn't great, with about 800 shadow damage, 600 something spell damage, and 6% hit, but he has full frozen shadoweave and some purples from karazhan. I was applying CoT to the last two adds, taking care of infernals on half the room, and clicking cubes on the cube furthest away from Magtheridon.

Does this all add up to doing LESS damage than the tanks. Sigh. Whenever I did DPS, I kept dots up, and shadowbolted, but, ugh. Just, ugh.

silence1186 on
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Your not gonna be doing alot of damage in the fight, since you are taking care of CoT on the guys, and cc'ing the infernals. If my raid leader sees a lock near the top of the meters, and infernals were killing people, he knows that lock isn't doing his job.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
    edited August 2007
    We tend to sneak further up the meter in phase 2, but yeah, it is always suspicious when a lock does unusually well in that fight. It helps to keep DoTs up on as many adds as possibly between CC though. And we preemptively stack DoTs and Curse of Dooms on the third add before switching to the first, it gets him down quite a bit by the time everyone else gets over there.

riz on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's not the best damage fight in the world for warlocks, but I can sneak up to 6 or 7 on the meters. I'm in the first cube group, and I'm usually the last warlock to have CoT responsibility during phase 1.

I'm pretty well geared, but so is the rest of my raid; I don't see any reason you should wind up doing less damage than the tank, unless you've got an ubergeared bear tanking mags or something.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Applebee wrote: »
    With 3k hits and 6k crits and 17% spell
    crit you shadowbolts do

6x0.17+3x0.83= 3.51K damage

= 1400 DPS

immolate =

1000 damage + 1200 over time

= 1466 DPS

so you gain a bit of damage, but lose 0.17 of a shadow vunerability proc, so it could go either way depending on how many shadow users and how many other warlocks there are.

Awesome, thanks. :D

Viper007Bond on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So what is a good leveling build? Demonology?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Soooo.. I just picked up this Mana-Etched Crown
    Not quite sure if I shoud wear it.
    I have Hydromancer's Headwrap with a swift starfire diamond, in it and the Sha'tar spell damage and spell hit enchant on it.
    Is it worth putting them on the Crown as well and wearing that?

No.

Go to Shadowmoon Valley and do the spectricles chain (not sure if you're horde or alliance or if it differs at all). That orc warlock next to the altar of shadows w/e his name is ends up having the last three parts of the chain. Just get a group for the Armor part of that chain and the rest of it is easily soloable. The riders should be cake for mages and priests but could be troublesome for Warlocks. I sac'd my Void and spammed Seed on them, though. :p You end up getting that Nethercrap palette swapped thing that everyone else is wearing.

Also, don't bother with head enchants or meta gems unless it's an epic or you're filthy rich.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dyscord wrote: »
    It's not the best damage fight in the world for warlocks, but I can sneak up to 6 or 7 on the meters. I'm in the first cube group, and I'm usually the last warlock to have CoT responsibility during phase 1.

I'm pretty well geared, but so is the rest of my raid; I don't see any reason you should wind up doing less damage than the tank, unless you've got an ubergeared bear tanking mags or something.

If you aren't assigned to a specific curse, you can take advantage of curse of doom. When he gets banished, instead of being immune, you deal 2x damage against him. Each time you -aren't- channeling, put CoD up when the other team is channels. Since there is about a minute between each blast wave, when it's your turn to channel, your CoD will go off and you'll get a little extra damage.

You still won't top the dps meter, but hey it helps. :)

Also: I put up shadow ward right before I start channeling. Hardly necessary, but it's nice to absorb a little damage on your own.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    I'm not sure how long you keep him banished, but we probably don't do it for more than a couple seconds.

Really, warlock damage on the fight post-phase one is probably better than most classes, since your dots can be ticking while you're channeling or being bounced around. It's just that you won't catch the few people that have been DPSing since the first channeler went down.

You could reset your meter after the last channeler dies, if you wanted, which would give you a better idea of how you compared to other classes.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It is only for about 2-3 seconds, but his blastwave is on such a consistant schedule that curse of doom works well here.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Warlock update: got the gold bloodrobe, hot stuff.

also, wrecking peoples shit with math

The_Scarab on
    edited August 2007
    Damn, lost 2 rolls tonight on my T4 shoulders. Oh well, at least my sister's alliance hunter alt who's been 70 for literally less than 24 hours got them (her alt's first epic, lol).

Viper007Bond on
    edited August 2007
    Damn, lost 2 rolls tonight on my T4 shoulders. Oh well, at least my sister's alliance hunter alt who's been 70 for literally less than 24 hours got them (her alt's first epic, lol).

Sounds like your guild is awesome. Sure wish I could roll against alts for loot.

exis on
    edited August 2007

Sounds like your guild is awesome. Sure wish I could roll against alts for loot.

Not a true alt. It's her main (and only real) alliance char. Her true main is a 70 Tauren druid.

And looking back on it, we all decided we probably shoulda made her pass as she's new to 70 and all, but with HK being on farm, we weren't too worried about it.

Viper007Bond on