As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A viral site for Pixar's new flick WALL-E

wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
If this has been brought up then please mods lock this thread.

So I found this site pretty interesting.

Buy n Large

Mild storyline spoilers follow.
From John Lasseter according to wikipedia:

"WALL-E is the story of the last little robot on Earth. He is a robot that his programming was to help clean up. You see, it's set way in the future. Through consumerism, rampant, unchecked consumerism, the Earth was covered with trash. And to clean up, everyone had to leave Earth and set in place millions of these little robots that went around to clean up the trash and make Earth habitable again.

Well, the cleanup program failed with the exception of this one little robot and he's left on Earth doing his duty all alone. But it's not a story about science fiction. It's a love story, because, you see, WALL-E falls in love with [Eve], a robot from a probe that comes down to check on Earth, and she's left there to check on and see how things are going and he absolutely falls in love with her."

:

The site in question looks as if it's the only corporation left on Earth. Even the FDA is named the BnL-FDA.

So I thought the site is hilarious. I especially like:
the side effects of the Xanadou "shopping euphoria" pill has side effects such as "nausea, headaches, intestinal discomfort; and cramping, temporary blindness, bleeding of the gums, and an inclination to read the works of Leon Trotsky."

wobblyheadedbob on

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    916615b.jpg ?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was wondering if there was a way for cartoons to get more preachy.

Yar on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yar wrote: »

It's Pixar, and it's about a robot who falls in love

A robot

who falls in love

by Pixar

It will be magical

Evil Multifarious on
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Let's not decide on the merits of the film until we see it.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007

You shut your whore mouth, Pixar is the best!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It's Pixar, and it's about a robot who falls in love

A robot

who falls in love

by Pixar

It will be magical
    I concur.

According to the teaser, they came up with the idea at a lunch in 1994 when Toy Story was almost finished. It was the same day that they brainstormed A Bug's Life, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo.

I have high hopes for this one.

edit: Wall-E himself reminds me of Short Circuit.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It is already demonstrably a preachy cartoon, that much is settled and does not require any waiting period. Whether or not it is enjoyable is a matter I have not commented on.

Yar on
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It is already demonstrably a preachy cartoon, that much is settled and does not require any waiting period. Whether or not it is enjoyable is a matter I have not commented on.

Well... I never got that it was supposed to be preachy. I saw it as a means to an end (a way to get to their original premise), not a prediction of things to come. I really think you're looking too much into their motives.

But hey opinions, opinions lol.

But seriously, has anyone actually looked at the site? It looks as if someone put a lot of work into it, and the news articles are really clever.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i think it's pretty funny that pixar of all people would be making a commentary on consumerism. "remember kids, rampant capitalism is bad! now don't forget to ask mom and dad to buy you a WALL-E remote controlled robot, available at Disney stores everywhere!"

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pants Man wrote: »
    i think it's pretty funny that pixar of all people would be making a commentary on consumerism. "remember kids, rampant capitalism is bad! now don't forget to ask mom and dad to buy you a WALL-E remote controlled robot, available at Disney stores everywhere!"
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure the people who actually write the story don't do much dealing with Disney's marketing team. They just want to tell a story.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
    edited July 2007
    Quazar wrote: »
    Pants Man wrote: »
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure the people who actually write the story don't do much dealing with Disney's marketing team. They just want to tell a story.

that doesn't make it less hilarious. and it's not like pixar is telling them NOT to or anything.
    the thing is, the movie is pixar property because of their new contract with disney. if they wanted to, pixar could stick to their guns and say "no merchandise" and there wouldn't be any merchandise. if this happens, i'll take back everything i said about this being hilarious/hypocritical.

they won't though. and even if they did, that doesn't invalidate all the shit tons of money they've made through merchandising. hell, without merchandising, there may not have even BEEN a pixar after toy story. obviously i'm kinda rushing to judgement over a movie i haven't seen, but like i said, pixar is the LAST company who should be trying to make any sort of commentary on consumerism

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    do we really have to talk about this in spoilers when none of us have seen this before?

As far as it being preachy, you don't know that yet. They could easily do this story without focusing on human's follies. In fact, I expect they will considering that its about the robots. There probably wont be any humans in the entire film.

Most post apocolyptic movies aren't preachy at all frankly...

aesir on
    edited July 2007
    aesir wrote: »
    do we really have to talk about this in spoilers when none of us have seen this before?

yes, that's actually why we have to
    Most post apocolyptic movies aren't preachy at all frankly...

what

Pants Man on
  • GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Robot love is terrible. They pretty much swap the best parts of the data and what you end up with is two new AIs in those two robot bodies. The children of the parents.

The parents die.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gorgeeen wrote: »
    Robot love is terrible. They pretty much swap the best parts of the data and what you end up with is two new AIs in those two robot bodies. The children of the parents.

The parents die.

ITT we discover that Gorgeeen is an expert in robots fucking

Evil Multifarious on
    edited July 2007
    If it's going to be 'preachy' like Ratatouille is preachy, then I'll be more than happy to watch it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gorgeeen wrote: »

The parents die.

We've got a thing that's called robot love
    We've got a line in the sky
    Robot love

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    If it's going to be 'preachy' like Ratatouille is preachy, then I'll be more than happy to watch it.

He's saying it's preachy because, from a two-paragraph description, we know that Earth had to be abandoned due to "rampant consumerism"

Because, you know, it's not like that kind of behavior would ever really have an effect on the environment

Fuckin hippies

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ROBOTS DON'T LOVE.
    ROBOTS KILL.

Pixar is probably manned by clever kill bots trying to lull us into a sense of security so we'll warm up to their cold steel selves right before they stab us in the back.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ROBOTS DON'T LOVE.
    ROBOTS KILL.

Pixar is probably manned by clever kill bots trying to lull us into a sense of security so we'll warm up to their cold steel selves right before they stab us in the back.

Why would robots stab people? That's highly inefficient.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    This looks very promising. That viral site is the best one I have seen in a long time.

Unknown User on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ROBOTS DON'T LOVE.
    ROBOTS KILL.

The stab injects a retrovirus into the victim that rewires their brain, turning them into mindless drones for use by the robots. Much more efficient to use the humans against themselves.

DarkPrimus on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ROBOTS DON'T LOVE.
    ROBOTS KILL.

The stab injects a retrovirus into the victim that rewires their brain, turning them into mindless drones for use by the robots. Much more efficient to use the humans against themselves.

When they come for you, there will be those that take advantage of the new market our robot overlords will have created.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

OH NO! A childrens show which teaches values!!!!

WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO!!!!

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    ROBOTS DON'T LOVE.
    ROBOTS KILL.

When they come for you, there will be those that take advantage of the new market our robot overlords will have created.

Fuck, so beat'd.

I actually want to see this movie, I like the premise a lot.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've seen a couple of small spoilers.

This movie is going to be darker than you expect.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Haven't seen it...but how could a show about a rat cooking be preachy?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Heir wrote: »

I think he confuses good moral values with preachy...

aesir on
    edited July 2007
    aesir wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

I think he confuses good moral values with preachy...

No, I really loved the movie, I'm just using preachy like I think Yar is using it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Buy n Large

"WALL-E is the story of the last little robot on Earth. He is a robot that his programming was to help clean up. You see, it's set way in the future. Through consumerism, rampant, unchecked consumerism, the Earth was covered with trash. And to clean up, everyone had to leave Earth and set in place millions of these little robots that went around to clean up the trash and make Earth habitable again.

Well, the cleanup program failed with the exception of this one little robot and he's left on Earth doing his duty all alone. But it's not a story about science fiction. It's a love story, because, you see, WALL-E falls in love with [Eve], a robot from a probe that comes down to check on Earth, and she's left there to check on and see how things are going and he absolutely falls in love with her."
    ]

So they basically took Vectorman and made it into a love story for kids

gotcha

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fallout wrote: »

Buy n Large

]

So they basically took Vectorman and made it into a love story for kids

gotcha

YES THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS YOU SURE GOT IT

Jesus Christ, people.

Furu on
    edited August 2007
    MuddBudd on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This movie is going to be awesome.

One Thousand Cables on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This movie is going to be awesome.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love how people are complaining about the cartoon being preachy. its FICTION. The whole cleaning up the planet thing is just an easy way to have the robot all alone. What next people complaining about cars because it is really a movie warning about the dangers of AI. I mean where are all the people?

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I suppose Red Dwarf (the book) was preachy too. But damn, it was a funny preachy.

Fencingsax on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Awwww, this movie sounds cute. I think it'll be great.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Robots don't love? That's what they said about Cars.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited August 2007
    Robots don't love? That's what they said about Cars.

Actually, I believe that the concern was that cars love, but the only thing they love is killing humans. :)

MuddBudd on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't been this excited for a film since...well, since I can remember.

I squealed like a little girl in the theater when he looked at the camera and said his name.

Actually I think I'll watch it again.

*squee*

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg