As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Solved, please lock] PC powers up for 2-3 seconds, shuts down, powers up like normal

Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
Thread title pretty much sums up the issue. It started a few weeks ago. When I press the power button, fans spin up, it starts booting, then powers down after a couple seconds. Then it powers back up again (without me doing anything -- I don't have to press the power button again) and boots normally. Haven't had any other issues. I've tried googling but haven't really come up with anything. All the results are PCs that just shut down completely a few seconds after booting. I'm no expert, but it seems like a PSU issue. I have a Corsair TX850V2 that's about 14 months old. Anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped.

Vi Monks on

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sounds like PSU to me as well. Never seen that before, though, so get back to us if that is indeed the issue.

• Options
    Yeah, when I have time this weekend, I plan to switch out the PSU for another -- though I don't currently have another PSU that can run the whole PC, so I'm hoping I can just connect the motherboard and see if it boots properly. Totally not looking forward to it though.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    If it's an IGP motherboard can use that to get a display. Any PSU will probably boot up fine without a graphics card needing to be powered. Unless you have some insane HDD etc setup.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Well, I just tried it with another PSU, and it wouldn't boot at all. I know the PSU works. All I did was switch the two power cables that run to the motherboard with those from the extra PSU (so the extra PSU was powering the motherboard and nothing else) and try to boot, but it didn't do anything. Power button did nothing at all. Is there something else I should have plugged in before it would attempt to boot? I'm worried I might have just missed something.

Edit: Well, I fixed it. Just had to update to the latest BIOS, after finally finding some advice on google. Apparently it's a semi-common problem on ASUS P8P67 motherboards. It's weird though, as I haven't updated the BIOS since building the PC, so the problem just came out of nowhere. No idea why a BIOS update fixed it. But still, much better than a dying PSU.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Well, glad to hear you fixed it. Problems that just appear one day are fun!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Oh yes, the most fun! The funnest part was where I took apart two PCs to switch PSUs around before updating the BIOS. :rotate:

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Sounds like one of the overclocking features of your mobo was kicking in. Some mobos do this, it seems it was trying to run an OC setting, and since it failed, it was rebooting with default settings.

This discussion has been closed.