As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Close Calls and Accidents that Almost Happened

2»

• Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Throughout my entire life, I've had a penchant for head trauma. Basically, I'm pretty lucky I'm a reasonably functioning human being. If some of these had been harder/deeper/longer before help arrived, I have no idea what might have happened.

It all started when I was 0 days old. As I was being born, the doctors weren't sure if I was still alive and breathing, so they did the logical thing and stuck a probe thingy in my skull to find my heartbeat. (Anyone know what this is specifically? I'm kinda curious)

Flash forward a few years and I'm in Japan, playing on some jungle gym or something. A 10-foot fall onto a rock later and I'm being rushed to the hospital. Thankfully, the scar is hidden by my suave locks.

Another year or so later and a few more injuries occur. I have no idea in what order these happened.
    1.) Was running around in the back of a pickup truck, fell out, and lost consciousness for a few minutes.
    2.) Ran right into a pole at school, woke up a few minutes later to my teacher trying to get me up.
    3.) Playing around and got hit in the head by a rock. Mostly superficial, but I couldn't see through the blood.
    4.) Got knocked out by another rock, this one thrown by my brother.

There's probably a few I'm forgetting/no longer can remember due to the other injuries.

Oh, and I accidentally ran my three-wheel into the deep end of a pool... before I knew how to swim. Some really big guy just kinda lifted me out, thankfully.

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Werewulfy wrote: »
    Throughout my entire life, I've had a penchant for head trauma. Basically, I'm pretty lucky I'm a reasonably functioning human being. If some of these had been harder/deeper/longer before help arrived, I have no idea what might have happened.

It all started when I was 0 days old. As I was being born, the doctors weren't sure if I was still alive and breathing, so they did the logical thing and stuck a probe thingy in my skull to find my heartbeat. (Anyone know what this is specifically? I'm kinda curious)

It's just a little lead--a very thin wire. They thread it up through the birth canal and poke the end just under the scalp of the baby. Minimally invasive, but necessary when the baby's position isn't conducive to normal monitoring.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A few weeks ago, I took a Senior Grad Trip down to Puerto Vallarta Mexico with some schoolmates. When we got to our hotel, we got taken to our rooms by these little electric baggage cart things. After we dropped off our luggage in our room, we walked back to the lobby to change some currency. On the way back to our room, I was absentmindedly looking at a little shotglass vendor off to the side, and I turned a corner, looked up, and bam, the plastic windshield of one of those electric carts was inches away from my face. The driver had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting me. Those electric carts are silent.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Holy fuck there are some scary drivers on these forums! Seriously, get some sleep before you go on the road.

Anyways, when I was a paratrooper we had two C-130s prepared for a airborne excercise. I was pushed to the second aircraft and completed my jump. The ones in the first aircraft never did as an engine caught fire and had to make an emergency landing. All my buddies on that aircraft truly thought they were gonna die.

If only there was some sort of device that would allow people to safely exit a crashing airplane

>.>

When I was really little, apparently I fell off a stool in our basement and cracked my head on the cement floor.
    :whistle: And now I'm a little bit special :whistle:

I have a tiny scar on one eyebrow and apparently another one under my hair somewhere.

Scooter on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pretty short one here: I get a ride to and from university every day with a friend of my dad's, and we have to go through the long ravine that all the freight trucks use. Halfway through, the friend falls asleep.

I was reaching for the wheel when he woke up and grabbed it, and we just missed an oncoming truck by a few metres. What makes it worse is that he did it again two minutes later. D:

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    _ _
    |
    |
    |
    |_________

So, that's the road(s), and I'm going west, then north, then a quick left.

Blinker on the whole time, and I'm waiting for the cross traffic to open up and take a left. Glance into the rear view mirror, and I see this white Grand Prix bouncing around the road, going at least 55 in a 35 and apparantly, can't see my blinker as he's heading directly at me.

At this point, I'm thinking, hmm, hope he figures out he's about to throw me into traffic, destroy our cars and possibily kill me and himself. All within a matter of about 5 seconds, he goes from about this big in my mirror:

" . "

To this:

" . "

Now I'm freaking out, and right as I'm about ready to floor the car straight ahead in hopes of giving him STOPPING TIME, an SUV in the lane next to me who is basically about to box him in, forcing him to destroy me, SLAMS her brakes.

She stopped just in time to give him room to pass between us, saving my/the car's life. I love you blonde SUV lady.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There are a lot of vehicle mishaps in this thread.

Speaking of which, when I was in the Boy Scouts, we were on our way to one of our camps out in the desert when a minivan full of 13 year old boys had a close call.

We were driving out in the desert, which meant we could go just about any speed and no one would really care. We were doing just that, and I was in the front passenger seat, kinda bored, just watching traffic go by.

I looked over my shoulder to talk to my friend, looked back, and was pretty sure we were all going to die.

A truck going the opposite way didn't exactly navigate the turn too well, and its trailer had flipped onto its side, coming straight at us. Going 70+ MPH. By some miracle, the driver in our van managed to swerve off the road. We were off-roading in a minivan that was supposed to be destined only for suburban streets. After about 100 feet of bumpy driving, we managed to get back on the road. I looked back, and the truck's trailer had righted itself. We all looked at each other and decided that the van had earned its wings that camping trip.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When i was around 8 or 9 years old, i lived in a hilly section of the base housing my dad was stationed at. At the bottom on the hill was the road into town. At the top of the hill and back a wase was another main road that connected to one of the many base gates. Connecting these two was a fairly straight road that served as one of the main streets for the housing complex.

So there was a whole herd of us little kids playing in a grassy area that was across the road from my duplex. We're horsing around in general and thenthe collective group thought was to go play in my back yard becaseu we had a sweet swing set. How 30 kids would share that i'll never know. So we all start charging across the street (with me at the front) right at the point below the crest of the hill. Right as i get past the curb, a huge van (not one of those sissy minivans) brushes right by me, the mirror almost skimming my nose.

This guy was flying in a 20 zone. I guess the dick decided it was a good idea to go charging down a hill in his big ol van in an area crawling with kids. He screeches to a halt, gets out of the van and walks me home. Me being 8 basically made me a mess. Sobbing my eyes out and all because i was scared and because i thought i was going to get in trouble.

Lucky for me this guy was a low ranking officer and my dad was a Colonel. So im sure he was more than shitting himself. GO GO Military polotics! :D

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Almost drowned in deep end of swimming pool when I was about 4 but got pulled out by my hair.

Had a firework fall over as it was going off and shoot between my legs before arching into a fence and exploding.

Almost drove into a wall when I was about 17 because a friend had shouted to me across the road and surprised the living hell out of me. (I'd just passed and was not expecting him to be that close to my open window whilst I was going 30)

Johannen on