As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, October 24, 2012 - Demography

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited October 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I was super excited to go to Wizarding World of Harry Potter in a few weeks

I am now

less excited

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    They replaced the Back to the Future ride with a Simpsons ride. Deal breaker.

• ideasandquotesideasandquotes Registered User new member
    edited October 2012
    YaYa wrote: »
    I was super excited to go to Wizarding World of Harry Potter in a few weeks

I am now

less excited

No, you should still be totally excited! It was tons of fun, just be prepared for crowds. A lot of the experience is on the rides, so if he skipped those, I could see why he felt like he did.

And get some butterbeer. Amazingly delicious, particularly the frozen kind. I had to figure out how to make it at home!

Plus, the Hulk is one of the best coasters ever:
    As you go up, it begins to magnetically shoot you faster and faster!
    Worth the admission, before HarryWorld was even open.

ideasandquotes on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Who gives a shit about Gasoline Alley?
    Josh Fruhlinger?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    As a resident of Florida, this comic is very accurate. Universal Studios really sucks these days. There few rides on the "Islands of Adventure" half of the park which if you are into coasters and long flumes are fun. Otherwise, meh. Especially the older actual Studio part of the park. They closed the Jaws ride and are building something 'new', but who knows what that will be.

As for butterbeer? Save yourself the price of admission. It's Cream Soda with just a hint of butterscotch liquor, and maybe milk if you want it to look cloudy like it does in the movie.

Wizarding World is really there for the kids. The part you don't have to pay to get into, Citiwalk only costs the price of parking and is more fun after the park half closes and is more geared for adults.

But hay, if you really want a Orlando park trip, keep in mind Disney opens the expanded Fantasyland next year.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Who gives a shit about Gasoline Alley?
    Josh Fruhlinger?

I had to awesome this, but in truth I must point out: Even Josh Fruhlinger doesn't give a shit about Gasoline Alley.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular

...WHAT?! When did this happen, this ripping of my childhood experiences? Please tell me this..."replacement ride" is ten times cooler than its predecessor.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    The Simpsons ride is pretty damn fun.

But let's be fair it could be the greatest ride ever but it's still not Back to the Future.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    As a resident of Florida, this comic is very accurate. Universal Studios really sucks these days. There few rides on the "Islands of Adventure" half of the park which if you are into coasters and long flumes are fun. Otherwise, meh. Especially the older actual Studio part of the park. They closed the Jaws ride and are building something 'new', but who knows what that will be.

As for butterbeer? Save yourself the price of admission. It's Cream Soda with just a hint of butterscotch liquor, and maybe milk if you want it to look cloudy like it does in the movie.

Wizarding World is really there for the kids. The part you don't have to pay to get into, Citiwalk only costs the price of parking and is more fun after the park half closes and is more geared for adults.

But hay, if you really want a Orlando park trip, keep in mind Disney opens the expanded Fantasyland next year.

As another resident of Florida, I have the exact opposite opinion.

Islands of Adventure is absolutely fantastic and, for my money, has better rides than Disney. There are great rides everywhere, from the Hulk to whatever they renamed the Dueling Dragons in Wizarding World, and all of the stuff in between. The ride in the Hogwarts castle is also probably one of my favorite experiences in the whole park, not because the ride is particularly thrilling but because of the awesome design of actually flying you through the castle. They pulled it off completely.

I will agree that butterbeer isn't worth it, though. I couldn't even get all the way through mine. And whatever that foam they put on top is, it's really weird.

Thematically, Disney definitely beats IoA, but I'm not really going to a theme park because of the characters/movies/shows they plaster on the things inside, I'm going to enjoy the rides and fun.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    This comic makes me sad. Everyone who likes comics should give a shit about Gasoline Alley, at least from a historical perspective! It's a little like a film buff saying they don't care about Georges Méliès. Sure, maybe you don't choose to read it from day to day, but it's an important part of the history of the medium.

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    We had a blast at Harry Potter World this week, the rest of IoA was only okay. Spider-Man was cool enough, hulk was okay, the Dr Doom ride was the lamest thing I've ever waited 10 minutes for (you start off moving fast, then gently go up and downs couple times like a normal elevator, it sucked)

Butterbeer was good, pumpkin juice was a little too much pumpkin flavor.

New Fantasyland at Disney was great though. They open it for awhile every day. Gaston's Tavern has a drink called LaFou's Brew which is frozen apple juice with a hint of toasted marshmallow flavor and a mango foam at the top. It was really refreshing on a hot day. The pork shank was also delicious.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    This comic makes me sad. Everyone who likes comics should give a shit about Gasoline Alley, at least from a historical perspective! It's a little like a film buff saying they don't care about Georges Méliès. Sure, maybe you don't choose to read it from day to day, but it's an important part of the history of the medium.

Granted I am not a sequential artist, so maybe I'm losing something in the translation here: but is Gasoline ally REALLY as culturally significant as say, A Trip to the moon?

• SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

Granted I am not a sequential artist, so maybe I'm losing something in the translation here: but is Gasoline ally REALLY as culturally significant as say, A Trip to the moon?

Oh, I'm not a comics expert either. But no, even from my layman's perspective I wouldn't really say it's on the same level, and I didn't intend to suggest that (which is why I tried to keep the comparison pretty loose). Méliès was just the first name that came to mind as a historical figure from the film world.

I'm not trying to make a really big point, here. Heck, I even think the punchline to the PA strip works just fine as a gag. It just also makes me want to defend Gasoline Alley a little bit.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Gasoline Alley is pretty damn important in the development of comics, newspaper funnies comics at least.

I must admit I was shocked to learn just now it is still running, though, with the original main character (all characters in the strip aging normally in close to real-time, unlike most comics) having reached the age of 111.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I can't remember a time that Universal Studios wasn't stupid

granted I haven't been there since before Harry Potter opened

The best part of Universal is the City Walk, and you don't need a ticket to get there

• dimesdimes Registered User new member
    edited October 2012
    Contextually, the comic is funny, but in regards to Gasoline Alley, anyone who doubts its significance should read the wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_Alley

Its been pretty much in constant run since 1917.
    Unlike most BS newspaper comics, its characters age, live lives, have familly, die.(honestly, the idea that some of the characters who were "born" in the comic when I was a kid are adults now is a trip)
    One of the first to use Color and modern layout.
    Second longest running comic in the US.

EDIT: I suspect this is something P/A knows. Or at least I should hope so.

dimes

dimes on
  • FafnerMorellFafnerMorell Registered User regular
    While the PA strip is great, I thought Toon Lagoon was a hoot - if you like The Comics Curmudgeon, you'll be in retro-irony heaven there. I do wonder about the demographics of it though - it's tough to imagine Mark Trail's got a lot of readers in the under 60 category (except, of course, for Comic Curmudgeon fans).

The Simpson ride is great - rough on the stomach, but a LOT of humor worked into it.

• pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    The Simpsons ride is great, but the queueing area is even better. I used to love the Spider-Man ride, but it has not aged well at all.

As for the Wizarding World.. it might be because I'm a huge Harry Potter geek, but I loved it. It's small, but while you're in it you can't really see the rest of the park and it makes it feel bigger than it is.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Gasoline Alley is pretty damn important in the development of comics, newspaper funnies comics at least.

I must admit I was shocked to learn just now it is still running, though, with the original main character (all characters in the strip aging normally in close to real-time, unlike most comics) having reached the age of 111.

Gasoline Alley the comic is culturally and historically significant.

Paying a hundo to see Gasoline Alley in Toon Lagoon is not.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    The Simpsons ride is great, but the queueing area is even better. I used to love the Spider-Man ride, but it has not aged well at all.

As for the Wizarding World.. it might be because I'm a huge Harry Potter geek, but I loved it. It's small, but while you're in it you can't really see the rest of the park and it makes it feel bigger than it is.

The last time I went (Which granted was a decade ago) it was all done up in the animated series style. Is that still the motiff?

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

It belongs in a museum!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

The last time I went (Which granted was a decade ago) it was all done up in the animated series style. Is that still the motiff?

Yeah, the Spider-Man area is all done up like the animated series, which is nice, but the acting on the queue video is surprisingly terrible. The effects on the ride itself aren't nearly as impressive as they used to be, especially compared to the Harry Potter ride.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Gasoline Alley may be of historical significance if you are deep into comics, but that doesn't exactly justify it an acre of theme park space.

I wondered this exact same thing when I was there. Out of all the properties that Universal has it's odd that they commit so much space to stuff to stuff general audiences could give a shit about. Beetle Bailey? Poseidon? Whuaa??

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Jurassic Park can stay forever though. However I wish they'd update the visitor center with actual legit palaeontology information, instead of the fake dino-science they pull from the movies.

• SulacoSulaco Registered User regular
    The comic is dead-on. The Harry Potter world is cool but a lot of the rest is skippable. You can blow through both Universal parks in a day.

Wolf3D.jpg
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I think I've only seen Gasoline Alley in brief little recaps of the early days of comic strips. Right alongside the Katzenjammer Kids and Felix the Cat.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    In an interesting change of pace, Mike has written today's newspost, pertaining to his Universal Studios trip, of course.

Good Looking Fat Guy on
  • FafnerMorellFafnerMorell Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The water slide/flume ride he mentions (Dudley Do-Rights Ripsaw Falls) is one of the most depressing rides at Universal, just because it could have been great, given the humor of that cartoon, but it was decorated using cut-out-board and paint and looks, well, cheap - like something a high school thespian department might throw together in a couple of days.

FafnerMorell on
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    I spoke too soon. Jerry has now written a newspost.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The water slide/flume ride he mentions (Dudley Do-Rights Ripsaw Falls) is one of the most depressing rides at Universal, just because it could have been great, given the humor of that cartoon, but it was decorated using cut-out-board and paint and looks, well, cheap - like something a high school thespian department might throw together in a couple of days.

this is patently untrue for one reason

it might not even be there anymore, I haven't been to Universal in years, but right at the end they have high-powered, coin-operated water cannons

if you time it right, right at the end of the ride as the log is coming around to the start again, you can blast people full on in the face out of fucking nowhere

I spent about 10 dollars on them

the peak was when I nailed an entire family in one log, and an african-american man walked by as it happened

as he went, I heard him say 'That ain't right.'

e: ERGH

that is what I get for not reading the newspost

YaYa on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Second panel +
    Kara and I decided to walk a loop around the rest of the park and both of us were really disappointed.
    Did... did he not go to Marvel Super Hero Island? Hulk, Spider-Man, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four aren't powerful brands? The Jurassic Park section is also incredibly cool. And come on, Popeye is awesome.

Is he sure he went to Islands of Adventure?

forty on
  • GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    Love that the newspost has a different title than the comic. Also loving the comic as a Florida resident :D

• Groosenat0rGroosenat0r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy70Z6x00TM SkyloftRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Y u gotta be hating on Gasoline Alley Gabe? But yeah its true Universal is not as good as it used to be, especially since they got rid of Jaws, Back to the Future and the Hannah Barbera rides...

Groosenat0r on
  • Groosenat0rGroosenat0r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy70Z6x00TM SkyloftRegistered User regular

...WHAT?! When did this happen, this ripping of my childhood experiences? Please tell me this..."replacement ride" is ten times cooler than its predecessor.

No... no its not...

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    We went to the states last year, and when we went to Universal our favorite ride was the Jaws ride. Went on it about 5 times. The guides were hilarious. So sad it's gone. And the Green Goblin jumped out at me in the gift shop, I jumped a mile. I liked that. Spiderman chased him away, then they went to their photo zone. And the ET ride was so bad it went around the block and was great. Just so bad.

• LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    Seriously, Islands of Adventure is worth it JUST for Seuss Landing. God, the Krahuliks have kids, don't they? Surely they read Dr. Seuss!

Powers &8^]

• dracos3442dracos3442 Registered User regular
    Another Florida resident here. I, along with a group of my friends, absolutely love Universal Studios Orlando/Islands of Adventure. It might be easier for us as we live about an hour away from Orlando so it's easy to make it a day trip. But I have yet to get tired of it, and I find it is most fun going between both parks throughout the day. I do lament the loss of things like Back to the Future and JAWS (especially this; was phenomenal to go on JAWS at night!), but there is still The Mummy, Rockin' Roller Coaster, the new Despicable Me experience and MiB (the competitive shooter in me loves this ride) in Universal; and Hulk, Dragon Adventure, Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, Jurassic Park, Bluto's Barge and Spider-Man (recently renovated and redone the 3D movie).
    this is patently untrue for one reason

it might not even be there anymore, I haven't been to Universal in years, but right at the end they have high-powered, coin-operated water cannons

if you time it right, right at the end of the ride as the log is coming around to the start again, you can blast people full on in the face out of fucking nowhere

I spent about 10 dollars on them

the peak was when I nailed an entire family in one log, and an african-american man walked by as it happened

as he went, I heard him say 'That ain't right.'

THIS! Those cannons are still there and shooting people in the face is still awesome!

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Rockin' Roller Coaster is Disney.

• dracos3442dracos3442 Registered User regular
    jackal wrote: »
    Rockin' Roller Coaster is Disney.

Sorry, you're right. The one at Universal is called "Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit".

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I loved the BttF ride. But I also like the Simpsons and I'm sure the new ride is great as well.