As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Wii D:

SamuraiRockSamuraiRock Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
A couple hours ago, the power in my suburb suddenly went out. There was a tense 30 seconds where I thought I'd never find my way back across the kitchen to my kickass sandwich, but then everything came back on and all was well.

HOWEVER!

My beautiful Wii did not come back on. It is dead. I don't have anything to diagnose it with; I plugged it in to a different outlet, and it still wouldn't come on. I'm going to take it to a Wii-owning friend's place tomorrow to see if maybe just my power brick blew, but that seems like a long shot. So I have a dead Wii on my hands.

Now.. I live in Australia. I have heard from y'all that NoAmerica's service is totally top notch but I don't know about Australia. Particularly points 2.b and 2.f in there. If I say "hey there was a power surge or something and it exploded my wii plz give me a new one!", I'm thinking that might not fly. If I tell them that it just stopped working (which I suppose it did) will I get more lucky? I know that's a morally suspicious thing to do but man, I love Wii and so does my whole family. It reminds me of old time movies where the family gathers around the TV to watch some silent comedy, except we're telling the world if we wear glasses and speak multiple languages. (Where's my bacon vs cyborgs question, Nintendo!?)

(Also tomorrow I will go out and buy some surge protector power boards and plug all my stuff into them.)

SamuraiRock on

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd just send it back, shrug and say "it doesn't work".

You're covered so you should be fine.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "I thought of some witty 2nd world electric comment but left it be because we have a dead Wii."

you can quote me on that...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • ValernosValernos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Isn't there something in the Wii power brick that detects power surges or something? Like it has a built in breaker? I thought I'd read somewhere (quite possible here, but I dunno) that when this happens you can just unplug the power brick and leave it alone for like 30 minutes or so, and that resets the internal breaker.

Like I said, I dunno. Try it, if it works, hey great.

Valernos on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    (snip)

If I say "hey there was a power surge or something and it exploded my wii plz give me a new one!", I'm thinking that might not fly. If I tell them that it just stopped working (which I suppose it did) will I get more lucky?

(snip)

I don't understand why they wouldn't. I'm pretty sure the Wii power brick is supposed to be the fail-point in the case of a surge. It should have either a circuit or a fuse in it that should trip (or burn out) in the event of a surge thereby protecting the system proper.

Anyhow, shame on you for not even having a $10 surge bar between the wall and your electronics!

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There was a tense 30 seconds where I thought I'd never find my way back ... but then everything came...
    :winky:
    HOWEVER!
    My beautiful Wii did not come back on. It is dead.
    D:
    I don't have anything to diagnose it with; I plugged it in to a different outlet, and it still wouldn't come on.
    o_O
    I'm going to take it to a Wii-owning friend's place tomorrow to see if maybe just my power brick blew, but that seems like a long shot. So I have a dead Wii on my hands.
    :(
    I love Wii and so does my whole family.
    :shock:
    Please forgive me, but I couldn't resist myself after just seeing the name of this thread.

RoriProfessor on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    (snip)

If I say "hey there was a power surge or something and it exploded my wii plz give me a new one!", I'm thinking that might not fly. If I tell them that it just stopped working (which I suppose it did) will I get more lucky?

(snip)

I don't understand why they wouldn't. I'm pretty sure the Wii power brick is supposed to be the fail-point in the case of a surge. It should have either a circuit or a fuse in it that should trip (or burn out) in the event of a surge thereby protecting the system proper.

Anyhow, shame on you for not even having a $10 surge bar between the wall and your electronics!

YES! Your power brick may just be fried or reset.

I had this happen to my launch Wii, the day of launch! :( !!!
    Nintendo support was AWESOME and shipped me a new brick NEXT DAY (which was 3 day because of the holiday, ugh)

Unplug the brick and leave it unplugged for like 15 minutes or so. It has an internal breaker that needs to cool and reset and it won't reset while it's still plugged in. If it still won't work, then test to see if it's just the brick that's broken. Nintendo should ship one out to you in record time and they don't even ask for the old one back.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SamuraiRockSamuraiRock Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You guys are awesome. <3 I let the power brick sit for a while unplugged and it totally works now. You saved a liiiiiife toniiiight

P.S., RoriProfessor, I am surprised how disturbing my post becomes with just a little bit of missing context....

SamuraiRock on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, I wonder if that applies to the Gamecube power brick. My GC power brick got fried a few years ago in a power surge. I thought it was fried, anyway, which is why I just bought a new one. I was happy at the time just because it was only the brick and not the Gamecube that was knocked out of commission.

SteevL on