As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

F-Stop In The Name Of Love [PHOTO THREAD]

• bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Your subject is shaded. Don't shoot a shaded subject with a full sun background.

It's entirely possible to. Just have to manually set exposure, and you'll get a happy medium between over and underexposure (obviously this requires experience). Or, bracket the shot into 3 exposures and just HDR it (and obviously, this requires a tripod).

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Your subject is shaded. Don't shoot a shaded subject with a full sun background.

It's entirely possible to. Just have to manually set exposure, and you'll get a happy medium between over and underexposure (obviously this requires experience). Or, bracket the shot into 3 exposures and just HDR it (and obviously, this requires a tripod).

or expose the background correctly and use your flash to expose the subject correctly.

The best thing to do is either either get the subject to move, or move yourself so that the sun isn't causing exposure problems. Or wait until a better time of day to shoot (noon is the worst time to shoot people, shoot them in the morning or the evening when the light isn't so harsh).

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • master_shakemaster_shake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2007_07_30_01.jpg

2007_07_30_02.jpg

2007_07_30_03.jpg

2007_07_30_04.jpg

master_shake on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Proto wrote: »

or expose the background correctly and use your flash to expose the subject correctly.

The best thing to do is either either get the subject to move, or move yourself so that the sun isn't causing exposure problems. Or wait until a better time of day to shoot (noon is the worst time to shoot people, shoot them in the morning or the evening when the light isn't so harsh).
    A medium exposure can work if the exposures aren't too different. HDR is possible if it isn't handheld. Flash is fine if you have a good flash (angle it, etc) but camera mounted units are generally not very good. The best solution is to recompose.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2007_07_30_01.jpg

Sup.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Master shake, I usually find cat photos cliche and boring but for some reason that one is cool.

Self portrait thingy.

selfportrait.jpg

Virum on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    959109945_b7f52c0b80_b.jpg

--

959109893_58edb71e81_b.jpg

--

959109845_851de83eda_b.jpg

ege02 on
    edited July 2007
    Very nice, ege. The pose and composition of the first one are my favorite but it looks just a hair overexposed.

saltiness on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Spacerobot, Another option would be a split-density filter. Cover the sky with the dark half of the filter and the foreground will be in the light portion of the filter. That's what many nature photographers end up doing to get the sky and foreground balanced. Well, before digital. Nowadays many skip the filter and just shoot RAW and do white balance correction during the raw conversion and maybe a levels adjustment partially masked.

Gafoots, I like the agave. It's nice and simple and clean.

Burkhart, I like the first pic, but the sky in the second is too colorful. I would back the saturation of the blue back down a little.

Shake, that cat pic is 12 kinds of rad.

Ege, I prefer the comp in the 3rd photo (ok, maybe that pose is a little "done" or whatever, but it's very graceful).

erisian pope on
  • RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd kill six men for something to replace my aging A520 point-and-shoot...ah well, here are some quick shots from the past week or so. Does anybody know if there's any kind of decent plug-in to add borders to images directly in Aperture? It does all the other things I need, so I hate to load up Photoshop just for that one minor snag.

Taxiing.jpg

Sunset.jpg

Swan.jpg

Goose.jpg

(If you can handle Long Island geese, you can handle anything)

Reckless on
  • RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also, here's an interesting question for you guys. Do you all send your photographs out to a printer in order to have hard copies, or for the most part do they stay in digital form only? I am, of course, assuming most of us are shooting digital.

Reckless on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I keep mine in digital format for now. I have several I want to print if I ever get off my ass and complete my many side-projects in life. My dad printed an amazing canyon landscape shot at Walgreens and it came out well, so I want to try them. I am attracted to the convenience and price there.

erisian pope on
  • JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I use film, but when I take a digital class in the fall I'll be scanning and printing from a computer due to lack of a color printing lab, so there's that. Though if I get a digital camera I would probably go through Flickr's print ordering service or some other online company, as long as its not too expensive.

Jonis on
    edited July 2007
    Those are very nice portraits ege, but have your subject smile. She looks very very uncomfortable and uninterested. Smiling, even when forced always makes the photos look better.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Sky DemonSky Demon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    spacerobot wrote: »
    Lately when i've been taking pictures that include something in the foreground, and then the sky, I've had the problem of either the sky being over exposed, or the foreground being underexposed (one or the other). What's the best way to get both at a decent exposure?
    Use a Graduated Neutral Density Filter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_neutral_density_filter

Sky Demon on
    steam_sig.png
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ege, I don't like the expression in the second at all, nor the underexposure in the third.

The first isn't bad, though.

Sheri on
    edited August 2007
    I like the expression in the first because it's sort of a coy grin instead of a straight smile. Smiles are all yay fun happy but they usually aren't interesting. In the first one I get the impression she's reflecting on a special event or person in her life and sort of snickering at it. This draws me in to the photo because I want to know the story. I want to know what she's thinking about. If it were just a generic smile then that's the only impression I would get from it - she's just smiling for a photograph.

saltiness on
    edited August 2007
    I don't like the expression because it isn't flattering to her face. It makes her teeth look funny and the angle of her head makes her forehead look huge.

Sheri on
    edited August 2007
    saltiness wrote: »
    I like the expression in the first because it's sort of a coy grin instead of a straight smile. Smiles are all yay fun happy but they usually aren't interesting. In the first one I get the impression she's reflecting on a special event or person in her life and sort of snickering at it. This draws me in to the photo because I want to know the story. I want to know what she's thinking about. If it were just a generic smile then that's the only impression I would get from it - she's just smiling for a photograph.

This feeling was what I was aiming to accomplish, and it was precisely why I didn't ask her to smile.

When I do portraits I don't shoot smiles unless they are genuine smiles; I make a joke and they really laugh at it, and I shoot that. On the other hand, if they put the generic "omg I should smile at teh camerah!" smile I ask them to stop it.

I kinda see what you're saying though Sheri.

ege02 on
    edited August 2007
    I'm also going to disagree with Sheri that the pose unflattering. I think she looks most beautiful that first shot.

saltiness on
    edited August 2007
    Another shot from work, posting it full size for Impact!

Tropical Water Lily Study 3
    968640316_38a21a1eb8_b.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited August 2007
    I'm also going to disagree with Sheri that the pose unflattering. I think she looks most beautiful that first shot.

I was talking about the second shot there, dude.

I should have clarified.

Sheri on
    edited August 2007
    Well, crap. Okay then.

saltiness on
    edited August 2007
    Gafoto, shop out that spider web!

saltiness on
    edited August 2007
    nah

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    nah

yes.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    Do it or i'll post a big frowny face and everyone will laugh you right out of Photographyville.

bombardier on
    edited August 2007
    Photographyville is overrated.

Everything is just slightly to one side or the other.

Sheri on
    edited August 2007
    People freak out and tell you you're doing it wrong when you stand in the middle of the street.

Sheri on
    edited August 2007
    gosh this photo is so centered

Cycad:
    968059187_2587545662_b.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited August 2007
    edited August 2007
    Enjoy my Cycadong.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Gafoto: Use the rule of thirds or I'll step on your throat.
    just kidding
    or am i?!?

ege02 on
    edited August 2007
    We need to think about voting Gafoto out of the photo thread.

saltiness on
    edited August 2007
    We need to think about voting Gafoto out of the photo thread.

He's more talented than half the people who post in here regularly and seem to think they know everything

I think we should keep him.

Sheri on
    edited August 2007
    the fuck what

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Proto wrote: »

A medium exposure can work if the exposures aren't too different. HDR is possible if it isn't handheld. Flash is fine if you have a good flash (angle it, etc) but camera mounted units are generally not very good. The best solution is to recompose.

Totally agree.

One thing about the camera pop-up units that I didn't learn until I took a course is that even though they obviously suck ass for low light shots, they are actually quite good for shots where you need just a little fill flash. A portrait in bright overhead sunlight where your subject gets those awful face shadows? Bring up your pop-up, it'll fill those in nicely without over exposing.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited August 2007
    I'll have to try that, I usually find myself using it indoors and just covering it slightly to bounce it around.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • SpaceGhostSpaceGhost Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I posted breifly before in this thread, but I just got my first DSLR from work on clearance at below half of cost, and now I am completely addicted to it. I have a UV lens to protect the actual camera lens, and a carrying case, extra battery etc already, but I have a few questions.

I really think I would be into macro photography a lot, but I havnt had a chance to go out and try a bunch just yet. What would be the best options, should I just mess around for awhile, take some lessons, and then decide what to buy?

The camera is an Olympus E500, and I know that Canon and Nikon are better for Digital SLR's, but I got it for 200 bucks canadian so I cant complain. The only thing is that I am considering selling it and getting a Canon instead just to have a higher end camera, if that's the case. What do you guys think?

Here's the camera.

1192_header.jpg

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1192&fl=4

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
    edited August 2007
    I'm all about a Canon but you did get a sweet deal. Also, macro doesn't so much require lessons, just some practice with the lens you're using.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
This discussion has been closed.