As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pathfinder & Other Tabletop RPGs] 1d6 Dragons Fall, Everyone Fries

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Ok

So

I have some players make fully fleshed out characters. Lots of abilities, top of their game. We start the session, and the first thing I say to them is "how do your characters die." The campaign is then the journey of their ghosts through the afterlife, from terrified, weak shades still sorting out their separations from their bodies to badass spirits capable of crossing the River of the Dead. Encounters range from predatory spectres trying to prey on the essence of young ghosts, to warrior sun gods who need souls to fight the good fight (by any means necessary), to a community of poltergeists whose collective anguish and mistrust is tearing the world (both spirit and real) apart around them, to various meetings with psychopomps both helpful and creepy.

What the fuck system can I run this game in?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Ok

So

I have some players make fully fleshed out characters. Lots of abilities, top of their game. We start the session, and the first thing I say to them is "how do your characters die." The campaign is then the journey of their ghosts through the afterlife, from terrified, weak shades still sorting out their separations from their bodies to badass spirits capable of crossing the River of the Dead. Encounters range from predatory spectres trying to prey on the essence of young ghosts, to warrior sun gods who need souls to fight the good fight (by any means necessary), to a community of poltergeists whose collective anguish and mistrust is tearing the world (both spirit and real) apart around them, to various meetings with psychopomps both helpful and creepy.

What the fuck system can I run this game in?

wraith?

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Geist: the Sin-Eaters might do ya

like seriously dude you are basically describing the premise of Geist

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Except not terrible.

(I'd wait for the Orpheus Conversion Guide)

Edith Upwards on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    yeah, a good gamma world game would be pretty rad.

Kinda surprised it's never come up, well not really, disappointed more then surprised.

so i'm thinking of doing a game set in the Elder Scrolls universe

thing is

the Elder Scrolls universe is big and cyclical

kinda like Star Wars

like i can pick any period in the history or future of Tamriel and do basically whatever kind of fantasy thing I want

I'm figuring that out

my best idea right now is post-Skyrim Cyrodiil, but that involves effectively declaring a "canon" of how some events (the civil war in Skyrim) resolved themselves

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

hadn't even heard of it before, but it seems pretty darn close to what I had in mind.
    DE?AD wrote: »
    [%]

This of course has the advantage of being a rad system that I wouldn't have to learn.

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    DE?AD wrote: »
    [%]

This of course has the advantage of being a rad system that I wouldn't have to learn.

I've got a beta document if you feel like playtesting.

Actually, I'd love to hear your report on that if you're...

12-1.png

game.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I really want to Play Drop zone Commander you guys.

The rules are super rad.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

except that the PCs in Geist aren't actually ghosts

edited October 2012
    So, I decided to continue this Elder Scrolls tabletop game idea. I decided to set it a few years after the events of Skyrim, which obviously led to making a few decisions regarding the "canon" of what happened during that.

But basically, it resulted in Skyrim seceding from the Empire, and between Skyrim, Hammerfell, and now rebellion in High Rock, the Empire is so weakened that the Aldmeri Domnion decides to just declare war on Hammerfell and Skyrim and has turned the Empire into a vassal state, with the new Emperor chosen by the Thalmor instead of the Elder Council.

The game's going to take place largely in Anvil, coastal city of the Empire, and deal a lot with things like wartime espionage, refugees, racial strife, etc.

basically I'm doin' fantasy Casablanca over here, with the Empire as Vichy France and the Aldmeri Dominion as Nazi Germany (I mean, the Thalmor were already so openly the Gestapo you might as well go with it)

Pony on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    So, I decided to continue this Elder Scrolls tabletop game idea. I decided to set it a few years after the events of Skyrim, which obviously led to making a few decisions regarding the "canon" of what happened during that.

But basically, it resulted in Skyrim seceding from the Empire, and between Skyrim, Hammerfell, and now rebellion in High Rock, the Empire is so weakened that the Aldmeri Domnion decides to just declare war on Hammerfell and Skyrim and has turned the Empire into a vassal state, with the new Emperor chosen by the Thalmor instead of the Elder Council.

The game's going to take place largely in Anvil, coastal city of the Empire, and deal a lot with things like wartime espionage, refugees, racial strife, etc.

basically I'm doin' fantasy Casablanca over here, with the Empire as Vichy France and the Aldmeri Dominion as Nazi Germany (I mean, the Thalmor were already so openly the Gestapo you might as well go with it)

obviously this is the coolest thing ever

you could have it be inglourious basterds except with the thalmor instead of nazis. they are equally satisfying to mercilessly butcher.

also the timeline in elder scrolls is sufficiently confused that anything could be canon, you can just say it's a consequence of the dragon break

obviously this is the coolest thing ever

you could have it be inglourious basterds except with the thalmor instead of nazis. they are equally satisfying to mercilessly butcher.

also the timeline in elder scrolls is sufficiently confused that anything could be canon, you can just say it's a consequence of the dragon break

that's the thing

The Elder Scrolls is kinda like Star Wars. The timeline is long, convoluted, and cyclical, so you can basically pick something that suits your fancy and go with it, and if it deviates from the "canon" enough just call it a Dragon Break and move on

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Guys I painted my first ever mini!

I am pleased how it turned out.

Probably, on reflection, shouldn't have chosen a gnome but still.....
    61F0F0BA-1E80-4A97-B10D-1F0C83EEFB94-6471-00000724165FEBF1.jpg

:^:

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    For a first model that's really nice work Blake! Good job!

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Sweet deal blake

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Thanks guys!

Think I'm going to try my wizard person next.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I bought the Pathfinder beginner set last night along with a brick of minis just for the hell of it. I've never played a PnP D&D game but some dues at work are interested and this seems like a great way to jump in after I discovered it accidently on Amazon. One guy was really hard up on getting DnD books and then writing up a story but there is no way I could see that coming into fruition this year. i was like hey lets try this premade shit so we can all get the hang of it and then you can do a 6 month epic.

I'm pretty excited about it and hope to get the game started next weekend.

steam_sig.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Pathfinder is really good at doing what it wants to do, which is high magic heroic fantasy

it's also got a fantastic bestiary selection, which is massively helpful as a GM (each creature comes with nice art too, which is always good for flipping the book and showing everyone what the encounter looks like)

So yeah, definitely recommend it if you want a DnD style game

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Start small and simple until you get the hang of it, then start doing epic multisession plotlines.
    and then move on to a better system. D&D/Pathfinder gives you the brain damage.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    I need help designing a one off horror session for nWoD mortals that I'm going to do on halloween.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Yeah DnD rules is sounding awfully confusing but hopefully the beginner set plays it off well.

I once bought a Heroscape set a few years ago and that gameplay made a lot of sense but I guess it didn't provide role playing.

steam_sig.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Start small and simple until you get the hang of it, then start doing epic multisession plotlines.

booooo :v:

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

What? D&D instils some pretty terrible gaming habits that are surprisingly hard to unlearn.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'll take GW modified 4e any day.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Nah

I disagree with you

D&D started me on RPGs, as imperfect as it is
    and Pathfinder streamlined it into something I'll always love

besides, if people are having fun with a game system, there's no reason to hate on it

unless we're talking about FATAL

Miss me? Find me on:

edited October 2012
    No, totally, if its fun, just keep on truckin'.

But.

D&D (and I'm talking 1-4E, Pathfinder, its 80's imitators, retroclones like DCC and ACKS, etc.) teaches some really, really dumb habits that end up being kinda counter-productive once you try to break out of the murderhobo/heroic fantasy genre.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I don't really know anything about pathfinder, but something about it has always struck me as so
    desperate
    almost pathetic

just gonna take this system that isn't even very good and just wring all the life we can out of it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

What? D&D instils some pretty terrible gaming habits that are surprisingly hard to unlearn.

I would like to hear what is considered "terrible gaming habits".

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    My intelligent answer to this idea that Pathfinder is a bad system?

Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

Miss me? Find me on:

how eloquent

at least it's free, i'll give it that

i only wish 4e had an open license

It might when 5e drops

I find that my dislike of 4e doesn't even matter

It seems silly to sit back and proclaim what the "best" RPG is

Miss me? Find me on:

yeah honestly so long as you're having fun i dont find myself caring too much

but i know i do find some systems distasteful or not to my liking

And that's a fair way of looking at it
    nope sorry you're forever broken for liking 4e gg scrub

Miss me? Find me on:

Hey guys lets all play FATAL.

edited October 2012
    har

i'm not even a huge fan of D&D proper much nowadays, barring genasi

the 4e system works fantastic for what Gamma World is, especially how it's modified/streamlined

the weapon/armor system is boss

i like the system because i dont like roleplaying rules and i feel free to do things

and i think it's a genuinely good combat system, the grid is interesting, etc

it also feels really easy to convert it for the purposes of other settings

Antimatter on
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey guys lets all play FATAL.

I almost want to try

One time only

And we kill any witnesses

Miss me? Find me on:

This discussion has been closed.