As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop Mice

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I need a mouse for my laptop that is shipping soon. Should I go with a bluetooth one, or regular wireless, and what brand? I'm guessing logitech. I have no idea at all what I should be looking for, though, so any tips would be appreciated.

Mai-Kero on

• Options
    DeadshotDeadshot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you don't want wires, go with a bluetooth. But honestly how far away are you going to use your mouse that you really can't just use a wired mouse and never have to worry about battery life and bad response time?

Deadshot on
    o ok
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That's true, wired would actually work fine.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I picked up a small, relatively cheap Logitech USB optical mouse from Wal-Mart, but that's just because I hate using the trackpad for some things. Two buttons and a scroll-wheel, and a nice satisfying click noise when I push the buttons. I haven't had any problems with it.

I don't see any advantages to using wireless/blue tooth mice for laptops, but that's just me.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    DeadshotDeadshot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have a logitech v150 which is a rather nice mouse if one doesn't care about extra buttons. If you're used to using Opera and mouse gestures it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104208&Tpk=Logitech%2bv150

As far as bluetooth mice are concerned, I've heard good things about the apple mighty mouse, but I don't know how well that would work with a PC.

Deadshot on
    o ok
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Actually, I found the exact mouse I'm using now.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1894607

I remember it being cheaper, but that's probably just my discount talking.

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    How small is that, really? I probably should have mentioned this, my hands are fairly large.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'd take a picture with it in my hand for comparison, but my camera isn't here (I'm at work).

So my ruler says: 4 inches from front to back, 2 inches across at it's widest point, call it 1.5" at the tallest point.

The way I hold my mice, my fingertips rest at the middle (horizontal) of the buttons, near (slightly above, where the wire protruding from the mouse is defined as the top) the top of the scroll wheel. Fingers curl up, and the back of the mouse hits about the middle of my palm. Thumb on the side, with the tip about level with the lowest point of the buttons. Ring finger and pinky on the other side. The top-most knuckle (nearest the tip) is roughly level with the lowest point of the buttons.

I've never looked at how I (or anybody else) holds a mouse before. I imagine I looked rather amusing grabbing my mouse, studying the grip, then typing.

I'm also writing a technical report right now. Can you tell?

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I hate posting twice in a row, but I'm going home to grab lunch in an hour or so. I could grab my camera and take pictures when I get back, if you'd like.

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I got myself a cheap Microsoft Laptop Mouse 3000 (or something like that, who cares). It's wireless, but not Bluetooth. In retrospect, I should have gotten a Bluetooth one because I don't like the fact that the adapter takes up a USB port and sticks out. I'm always afraid I'll move my hand and bend the receiver and damage my laptop. But there just aren't a good bluetooth mice out there. I really want one with 5 buttons, and it has to be pretty damn small, but I haven't been able to find a brand name one yet. Hopefully the new Logitech Revolution MX laptop mouse will come in Bluetooth.

I went wireless because I hate the idea of wires and I didn't want to have to roll up the wires when I put the mouse back in the laptop bag and stuff, and then the wires take up space and get tangled, and the wireless mouse was like 25 CAD, so what the hell.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    1: Does your laptop have bluetooth?
    If yes, buy a bluetooth mouse. If you carry your laptop around a lot it's very nice not to have to coil up a wire for a mouse all the time.

2: Most laptop mice are 1/3-1/2 the size of a regular mouse. Some are larger, but the theme is to get them as small as possible. Try out a few in a store before you buy one online and find it cramps your hand.
    I have probably average hands and the bluetooth (regular size) mouse that came with my company laptop is too small. I can have my fingers on the front of the mouse and still touch the pad with my wrist. It's quite uncomfortable and I'm getting a new mouse soon. I keep it only because it's wireless and has extra buttons.

3: If you decide on a wireless (non-Bluetooth) that is designed for laptops (smaller size) see what options they have for carrying the dongle around. Some will allow you to store the dongle inside the mouse so you don't lose/break it. Logitech (i think) has a new mouse coming out with a dongle that is TINY. Basically it's meant to put in a USB port and leave there, because it doesn't stick out at all except for a little to grip to pull it back out.
    You don't want to get a wireless mouse then loose the dongle for it because you had no way of keeping it close to the mouse/laptop. (nice feature of bluetooth, no dongle)

EDIT:
    Here's the new logitech dongle: Nano Receiver
    4365.1.0.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    can anyone point me to a moderately inexpensive bluetooth mouse? Other than Mighty mouse, honestly. I know it has left and right click, but it's somewhat inaccurate in judging between the two and there is no possibility of simultaneous clicking.

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Apple Mighty Mouse is shit for all the reasons stated above.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Newegg Bluetooth Mice

Pick your poison. :D
    There are others out there, like mine is from Dell, but probably just a rebrand. I haven't seen it anywhere else though.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I never understood the need for smaller mice, unless it's aimed at children.
    If you have small hands, then fine, go ahead and buy a laptop mouse.

The size difference shouldn't really have any impact on the weight of the laptop bag you'll be carrying.

If it's because they have shorter wires so that they don't make a mess in your bags, that is a valid reason. I hate when wires get all tangled and I have to untangle them.

Is it because they take less power? I'm assuming if it's on a desk so you can use a mouse, it's near a power outlet. I'm also assuming laptop mice use about as much power as regular mice.

I would much prefer a comfortable mouse to a smaller mouse, so I recommend a well-priced regular mouse. Anything gaming-grade you can get at a rebate on. Logitech MX 518, G5 and above, the new version of the microsoft intellimouse explorer 3.0 which is black... anything above regular consumer mouse you can find a decent rebate on.

Logicow on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Depends on your hands really, although the mini optical that was mentioned is an awesome mouse. I must say that the Razer mice have very nice quality cords. Razer also will release a revision of their popular mouse the Diamondback tomorrow.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Logicow wrote: »
    snip
    It's for size and weight considerations. I personally don't want a large mouse to carry with me. The smaller the better, as long as it is usable for me.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse. It's about 3/4th the size of a regular mouse, and the USB dongle fits snugly in the bottom of the mouse. I've had it for years, and I like it. Reliable, small, and sturdy (I've dropped it numerous times w/o problems).

That said, if I had to get a new mouse, I'd probably check out Bluetooth. Having the USB dongle sticking out of the backside of the laptop does scare me from time to time.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    The_MasterplanThe_Masterplan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wanted a bluetooth mouse because I wanted no wires when I got a new laptop, and no wireless dongle sticking out of the laptop for me to break. (yes, I had bluetooth built into the laptop) I'm kind of picky when it comes to mice, and was dismayed to find out there is a poor selection of bluetooth mice, and when you do find them they tend to have a price premium of $25 or $30 more than I would ballpark them for if it didn't say 'bluetooth'.

Logitech makes a nice compact one you can get for around $40, but it only has 3 buttons (including the scrolly-wheel). This was a deal breaker for me, because I need the forward/backward buttons on the mouse.

I ended up with a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000. The laser is in the middle so I'm used to how the mouse moves; it has a nice plug-in slim recharge pad to recharge the mouse batteries, but it uses standard AA batteries so if you run out of juice in an airport you can just pop in a regular AA. The battery is supposed to last 3 weeks between charges. I charge it a couple times a week, it seems to fully charge in 90min or so from empty, guessing from when I first got it. This mouse costs around $75 solo, but I got it with the wireless desktop bundle.

As much as I dislike MS as a software company, I've always liked their keyboards and mice.

The_Masterplan on