As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Go to new thread

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
29064016.jpg
f0DX0.jpg

Mists of Pandaria is the fourth expansion pack for World of Warcraft. While it plays all the familiar notes that you expect from WoW expansions by now, it does introduce more unique features that any expansion before it.

Major Features - Click for Info

MgKYz.png
8GXh1.png
AUB9Y.png
NJlE0.png
RjlTR.png
okAvJ.png
Farming

Systems Changes
kXUR7.png

OP is currently unfinished but still implemented. Much like CRZ. And just like CRZ it'll probably remain broken until the end of time and piss everyone off. Good day.

I said good day sir!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    I'll add some of the 5.1 info in the OP in a bit, just stole the old OP to make the thread.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Nice DWH. Nice.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I'm currently sitting at 60 rep off of revered with August Celestials. Goddamn you rep grinds.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    BTW, the Tillers description should probably be updated. You don't grow various herbs, you grow various tradeskill items (leather, ore, herbs, motes) which is infinitely more useful :)

(still can't believe how great the Tillers turned out)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Can someone with image editing skills take that Tillers image and replace Tillers with Farming?
    Cqsio.png

Also if you're really bored a little icon like those for all the factions would be astounding.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    I'll work on the OP more later, just removed most of the text to make room for 5.1 info, and maybe some raid stuff.

• Options
    LOL at the Method Man meme

• Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    LOL at the Method Man meme

I thought that was the ride pimp'r?

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Oh crap. Yeah that is Xzibit.... my bad :)

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Not really sure how I feel about the Brawler's Guild based on the previews. The idea of having to queue and wait as people duel mobs one at a time before you get to do anything sounds pretty horrible on the surface (MoP already has too many time-wasting elements as it is). If gear isn't normalized in some way like Challenge modes (I didn't see them mention that it would be yet), then a big portion of your ability to progress will be tied to how successfully you obtain raid gear. Finally, how do they expect to tune it at all? Some classes have specs that are just straight up far better for soloing "hard" content.

• Options
    I would be surprised if it makes you join the matches in progress while you wait. I would hope that it is a queue like everything else that just allows you to zone into the arena seats if you wish and watch fights in progress. Swapping between them like CRZ. I know people will squabble over a queue time for a PVE solo only thing but the reason should be obvious.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    The only thing that bothers me is the 1 person at a time thing. That's just straight up dumb. Makes me question if the designer ate lead paint chips as a kid dumb.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I flat out do not understand the rationale behind it. It's just you killing mobs, alone. Why the hell does that require a queue? It's so stupid. It's needless tedium. Look at any highly-camped quest mob(s) and multiply that by a thousand. It's the Fatty Goatsteak of ideas.

It's like if they made you wait in line to turn in a quest, or buy from a vendor. It's pointless.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm cool with it, since I'm assuming it's a test for working out a spectator mode for arena fights.

And that there's stuff you can do to interact with the person in the ring.

Reminds me of the old arena battle nights in Clan Lord. (Very old Mac MMO.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    It is a progression like anything in this game hence the queues. And the fights are supposed to be difficult to do. I am personally very excited to do it even if it has 30 min queues. I guess it is only for a certain population of people.

• Options
    It just annoys me that, as a squishy ol' mage, I'm going to have a hell of a harder time kiting those fuckers around for 20 minutes than a blood DK will have just sitting there spamming death strike, since he's practically invincible.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'm going to assume they put some kind of time limit or an enrage timer in it. Otherwise what's to stop one person from just holding the arena hostage forever?

• Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    I'm going to assume they put some kind of time limit or an enrage timer in it. Otherwise what's to stop one person from just holding the arena hostage forever?

This is Blizzard, so chances are they never even considered such a thing :P

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    It's the Fatty Goatsteak of ideas.

Quote of the thread.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, but I really do not understand why they broke this tier up into three instances again. Give us the one 7-8 boss instance at the start of the expansion, rather than the end!

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, but I really do not understand why they broke this tier up into three instances again. Give us the one 7-8 boss instance at the start of the expansion, rather than the end!

I think the logic was that it was supposed to be enough content to last through major patches instead of making every major patch a raid tier. But front load it so that there wasn't a Cata situation where there was such a lag between content with launch then Firelands.

And, honestly, I imagine for many guilds it will play out that way fine. But for progression guilds they're going to burn through it so fast that they're going to go long stretches without anything to do; thus the staggered release of the raids and the normal/hard modes.

At this point I'm not sure if we'll even see another raid in 5.2 with how fast they are putting out 5.1. They might be hoping between the several split raids and the new non-raid content added that they'll be able to go a couple patch cycles without a new raid. I seem to recall them even saying something to the effect of having fewer than 3 raid 'tiers' per xpack.

It's really hard to figure out what is going on over there at this point though.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Invisible wrote: »
    I was thinking they might do this as well, with tuning such that tank specs won't really be able to succeed. That would fuck me as someone playing a Guardian/Resto druid, so yeah, that's probably what they'll go with.
    Halfmex wrote: »

Quote of the thread.
    Yeah, that was great.

forty on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    My prediction: Vengeance will let tanks do just fine. Healers will have to respec and regear, preferably as tanks. Dps success will depend on having a pet or being able to kite.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They seem to be wanting to put out more content as an alternative to raiding, as opposed to more raiding content. Kind of annoying since fuck dailies up their ass.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So decided to go for Glorious achivement today, instead of the crazy rep grind. Had only 3 rares left, but they where the most difficult ones. not to kill, but to even get a chance to kill them. The Yangoul outside shrine of 7 , which every allied player with a npc scanner looks for on his way in or out, Urgolax right in the main quest area for the Golden Lotus right inside the gate to Vale of eternal blossoms and Sulik'something that drops the sweetass flask gizmo(+500 all stats like a flask) in Four winds.

Had to spend most of my day camping them, but I got them. If there where people nearby I tried to invite them because why be a dick and not share kill? For Sulik I didn't get the trinket on the first attempt so I decided to try again. Waited almost 2 hours never moving from that one spot until I got him. Thank god He dropped the gizmo.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I think the logic was that it was supposed to be enough content to last through major patches instead of making every major patch a raid tier. But front load it so that there wasn't a Cata situation where there was such a lag between content with launch then Firelands.

And, honestly, I imagine for many guilds it will play out that way fine. But for progression guilds they're going to burn through it so fast that they're going to go long stretches without anything to do; thus the staggered release of the raids and the normal/hard modes.

At this point I'm not sure if we'll even see another raid in 5.2 with how fast they are putting out 5.1. They might be hoping between the several split raids and the new non-raid content added that they'll be able to go a couple patch cycles without a new raid. I seem to recall them even saying something to the effect of having fewer than 3 raid 'tiers' per xpack.

It's really hard to figure out what is going on over there at this point though.

it isn't really staggered, though; there's only like three weeks between raid releases. It'd be one thing if there were like, months between them.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    It's not a horribly bad stagger either. It's not ICC style, where entire wings of the raid are locked out, or TotC with limited attempts and locked out bosses. My guild is just getting started on H vaults, it's not like we've finished everything before the raids unlock.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »

Quote of the thread.

Quote of all time.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Why not name the thread "Mists of Repdaria"? Wrath is old news.

• Options
    Because "Repdaria" sounds like a disease of the anus; your mind isn't taken immediately to rep grinds.

And yeah, Wrath is old news, so are rep grinds; the fact that not only are we still doing them but they're the central 'feature' of this xpack indicates an inability to move on from past design.

• Options
    edited October 2012

it isn't really staggered, though; there's only like three weeks between raid releases. It'd be one thing if there were like, months between them.

I wasn't saying it made sense; just that I think it's what their line of logic is for this stuff. I mean, we know 5.1 contains no new raid/dungeon content (unless you count scenarios which...no), and I just won't be surprised if 5.2 doesn't contain any 'real' raids either; maybe a few new dungeons and a filler small raid. Even if I'm wrong on that one, could very well be, it seems clear that someone over there in Blizzardville thinks that the current raids, and the way they're releasing them, will make them last longer. As I said, I won't be surprised if this is the first xpack with only two main tiers of raiding, with some weird in-between stuff.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    "Mists of Grindaria" imo

So, Brawler's Guild. Looks like a really cool idea. As someone who loves soloing old raids and shit, this looks right up my alley. But, it does raise a few concerns. A) The whole one-at-a-time queueing nonsense. I don't really think much else needs to be said that hasn't already been said. B) All the fights are seemingly the same regardless of class or whatever... So obviously certain classes/specs are just going to have a much easier time than others. COUGH COUGH BLOOD DKS. They have spread out survivability tools to classes, and even self healing, sure. But like, look at Mages. They have a few survival tools, but no self healing, outside of Cold Snap. So... I dunno. It's things like that which I'm worried about. It's a really neat concept though and I guess I'll have to see how it pans out.

There's a new PTR build up. Few changes that pop out at me right away:
    Death Strike now only heals based on the damage you have sustained from non-player sources.
    RIP Blood Flag Carriers and PvP. And many cheers were to be had across the land that day.
    Thick Hide now also reduces all physical damage taken by 12%.
    Tooth and Claw is now a Guardian spell. Zero value in tooltip changed to 250.
    Nice Guardian buffs here. Tooth and Claw looks interesting... Apparently it turns Maul into a defensive ability. I'm assuming it works on Bosses. Wonder if it works with Glyph of Maul.
    Invocation was changed to give the active bonus while at full mana and 40 seconds afterward, rather than upon completing an Evocation.
    Rune of Power no longer has a cooldown.
    Yes. Yes yes yes. Very nice QoL changes.
    Stance of the Fierce Tiger now also increases your movement speed by 10%.
    Tiger Palm no longer stacks the armor ignore buff, just applies 30% initially.
    Ascension now also increases your maximum mana by 15%, and your energy regen by 15%.
    Dampen Harm now requires attacks to deal damage equal to 20% or more of your total health, up from 10%.
    Nice little Monk changes here! No more ramp-up time with TP, small change which will go a long way. Ascension quite possibly a worthwhile talent to take now. Dampen Harm is now more effective and won't get eaten up as easily. Healing Spheres also got changed a bit so that if they expire, they'll heal nearby players (for a lesser amount).

Interesting stuff.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    That Tooth and Claw thing seems interesting. Bears have seemed a bit squishy, at least from a me healing them perspective; hopefully it'll help there. Doubling it up with that Thick Hide change though...I wonder if they're gonna remove some mitigation somewhere else to compensate? because that seems like a pretty hefty buff overall to bears.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I fought my first rare tonight. Major Nanners, rare hozen on top of the falls south of Mistfall. First attempt he crushed me, he does a boomerang thing that does about 150k per hit on plate. He jumps everywhere, it follows him when he's jumping so it's hard to predict, and it ticks instantly. So I died, couldn't get to my body cause no flying ghosts anymore. Had to get a guildie come help. He dropped some crappy blue cloak and a whistle that summoned a grummle to forage for us once every 2 hours. He won it, I was able to talk to the grummle though, so we'll see what he actually brings.

• Options
    I hate that the rares only sometimes drop their 'special' item, if they have one.

I kinda feel like their special thing should be a guaranteed drop, and anything else is random.

Major Nanners drives me nuts because every time NPCScan shoots off that I saw him, I go up to where he's at and he phases out. I've done some Golden Lotus now though, so maybe he'll 'stick'.

About the Hozen rares though, the Bananarang has a 'wind up' and heads in the direction (maybe even location) you were when it got thrown and is pretty easy to avoid. You just have to make sure to give it a wide berth if he does his "Going Bananas" attack so you can move and not get hit by it, because it also does a shitton of damage if he lands on you.

They are stunnable though during Going Bananas and if you have a way to do so, I highly recommend it.

Scritch, or whatever the rare hozen in Kun'lai (the one that drops the peace pipe for rep, sometimes) is a bit easier in this regard because when he does the hop attack you can just run outside and he usually can't follow you (usually); just take him back in the hut/cave when it's done and repeat. The bananarang can be a problem inside if you aren't paying attention though.

Their fling shit attack just gives you a stacking debuff that makes you take more damage and shouldn't be a huge issue as most classes have some sort of self heal and you typically should only be taking his basic melee attacks.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Brawler's Guild sounds pretty cool when they explain it in a blue post, but in practice is so poorly thought out. Especially since the rep for it seems even more grindy than we're used to so far this expansion.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I hope the whole queuing and waiting thing with the Brawler's guild is just a mild RP flavour thing. Y'know, sitting in the waiting room for 2 minutes and psyching yourself up, watching others in the window doing their fights, that sort of thing. So long as it's not very long. If instead it ends up being a carbon copy of an average DPS wait in the LFD... then it can piss right off.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The Helpful Wikky gives you a buff that lasts for two hours. If you kill about fifty mobs during this time he will return with a bag of stuff. I usually get gold, some motes, three or four different kinds of elixirs and some vendor trash.

Edit: Beware. Wikky can be killed when he returns in which case you don't get your bag. He will also just go away after a while in which case you don't get your bag. I've read that people in your party can talk to him and get the buff instead in which case you don't get your bag. The bag he gives you is unique so if you have one in your inventory from before...you don't get your bag.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Wikki??

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    That Tooth and Claw thing seems interesting. Bears have seemed a bit squishy, at least from a me healing them perspective; hopefully it'll help there. Doubling it up with that Thick Hide change though...I wonder if they're gonna remove some mitigation somewhere else to compensate? because that seems like a pretty hefty buff overall to bears.

The 12% damage reduction for bears was pushed live in early September, that's just a tooltip fix sadly. Hopefully the other change helps. Our bear is taking more damage and is just a sponge in raids. He muttered something about a crit build and went to reforge half way through heroic stone guard. That seemed to help but he was still squishier than the warrior despite having only one of the dogs on him. I don't know what's up with them but they do seem to need some help.
    Javen wrote: »
    Brawler's Guild sounds pretty cool when they explain it in a blue post, but in practice is so poorly thought out. Especially since the rep for it seems even more grindy than we're used to so far this expansion.

It's going to be a worse rep grind than what we have already? Eughh.

danx on
This discussion has been closed.