As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Last ☆ Resort

tech_huntertech_hunter MoreSeattleRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Social Entropy++
What do you do when you are ordered to fire Nuclear missiles on a country with no declaration of War? Well I can tell you what the captain of the USS Colorado (SSBN-753) did, he didn't fire. Which while avoiding having a massacre on your hands you now have just become renegades of the most powerful military in the world and in possession of a Nuclear Submarine!

Last Resort is a military drama on ABC and premiered September 27, 2012. It follows the Captain and crew of the fictional USS Colorado as they fight to stay alive and search for the truth behind their orders. Soon after picking up a team of Navy seals the Colorado receives a transmission to fire their Nuclear missiles at a target. Doubting the transmission the captain seeks confirmation only to be relived of duty and the Lieutenant commander placed in command, who also asks for confirmation since the orders came from a cold war era communications network only to be used in the event of Washington being destroyed. With the Lieutenant commander also refusing the order to fire the crews fight for survival begins as a friendly vessel is ordered to destroy the Colorado. With no one to trust and no where to turn they seek refuge at a small island in the indian ocean, home to a NATO early warning station. Can they hold back the considerable forces and resources of the US, will they find the truth behind their orders, will the crew just mutiny and surrender? All good questions and the best way to find out is to watch.

Crew:
Andre Braugher as Captain Marcus Chaplin
LR-M-300x439.jpg
The patriotic but philosophical captain that refused the order to launch a nuclear attack, and avoided being destroyed by one of our own Navy Vessels. Is he just trying to bring the truth to light or is he just a man with nothing left to lose, willing to risk the lives of hundreds to prove a point?

Scott Speedman as Lieutenant Commander Sam Kendal
YxZ7Js.jpg

The loyal Executive officer who after being ordered to take command also refused to launch a nuclear attack. Does he share his captains ideals and goals will he sacrifice everything for his loyalty to a man who may get them all killed?

Daisy Betts as Lieutenant Grace Shepard, navigator
Daisy-Betts-Last-Resort.jpg

Shepard being the daughter of a Rear Admiral, having to deal with rumors that strings were pulled to get her the position. Being inexperienced she has to prove she is capable and earn the respect of her fellow shipmates.

Rober Patrick as Master Chief Petty Officer Joseph Prosser, Chief of the Boat
lastresort_robert2_400x280.jpg

Tough as nails sea dog, believes his captain betrayed both country and honor refusing to follow orders. His only goal is to live to see the captain before a military tribunal for court martial and turning traitor.

Daniel Lissing as James King, U.S. Navy SEAL
daniel-lissing-photo.jpg

One of the Seal team members that was picked up just before the Colorado received their orders to attack. His loyalty is tested as he decides to throw his lot in with the crew or stay true to his mission

So I was a bit skeptical about this show, but it is turning out to be pretty good, Red October meets Pelican Brief. Some good stuff is going down, and they are not afraid to just straight up murder dudes. So far there are going to be 13 episodes with 2 more scripts already ordered. Lets see if we can keep this going and everyone watch.

Sig to mucho Grande!
tech_hunter on

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    he'll always be the t-1000

kQwcZLJ.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Saw the pilot. The first fifteen minutes were a little creaky, with them trying to bumrush through pilot-y exposition, but the back end of the episode was pretty solid stuff. I keep intending to catch up on the rest of it. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    make sure you keep us posted on anything else you want to do this weekend pooro

kQwcZLJ.png
    I was thinking of getting some brunch Sunday

Maybe mop the kitchen

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    that Lost aesthetic

l3icwZV.png
  • tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    Well it is being filmed in Hawaii so there are some parallels to Lost

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    I hate myself a little bit.
    Saw the thread title and immediately went to Papa Roach.

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Even McHale's Navy has become Grimdark.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    B.C. wrote: »
    I hate myself a little bit.
    Saw the thread title and immediately went to Papa Roach.

We all did it.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I'm a couple episodes behind

have Australian Bartender and SEAL guy fucked yet

if not what is the damn holdup

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I liked the pilot. As pooro said, it finished really well.

The other episodes have fallen a bit flat though.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I liked the pilot. As pooro said, it finished really well.

The other episodes have fallen a bit flat though.

I thought the most recent one was by far the best so far, even better than the pilot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh really? I haven't watched the latest one.

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Tell me when Gilligan shows up and they find out they're in the Bermuda Love Triangle.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    This show is a lot better than I expected. It's got that wiff of "event-y* TV, but it works it pretty well, I think.

• tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    @YaYa Seal man and barmaid haven't fucked yet but the relationship is definitely moving, watch the latest episode! I think the pilot did a good job of presenting the initial story but it is a pilot so I gave it a chance and things are building up. I do like it is kind of "event-y" @Legba kind of a bit how the West Wing was. I really hope they have a plan for the show and a determined conclusion. I really don't want to see them keep piling on "Answers" and going down some kind of rabbit hole like a shadow government is what is really running things, or something equally implausible.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The latest episode is great. I really like how, even in their successes, the main characters still have to face consequences.

I also like how the show acknowledges the greater happenings in the world at large while still keeping the focus on the main plot threads. Also how the characters you'd expect to be easily misled wind up being far more savvy.

Unfortunately, its a network drama and is such subject to the same budgets and director pool as all the others, but it does well with what it gets and quite frankly Andre Braugher don't need no fancy camerawork to be awesome.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    This show is a lot better than I expected. It's got that wiff of "event-y* TV, but it works it pretty well, I think.

It's a Shawn Ryan show, dude makes good TV

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Balefuego wrote: »

Pourin' one out for Terriers

edited October 2012
    I've got exactly one poster in my room, and it's for Terriers.

Poorochondriac on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It is? This show lacks The Unit, The Shield and Chicago Code's quality.

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    That reminds me that I need to watch The Unit. I caught a couple of episodes here and there and it impressed me but I never got to watch it in a focused way.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I clicked on this thread because of the snappy star in the title. Very snappy

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/