As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bye-bye, Black Box

Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Wikipedia wrote:
The Orange Box is a video game compilation created by Valve, which contains Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. It will be released on October 9th, 2007 for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version will be priced about $59.99 USD/$69.99 CAD/£49.99 GBP. The PC version will be priced about $49.99 USD/$59.99 CAD/£34.99GBP. Originally another compilation, to be entitled The Black Box, and containing only the new material (HL2: Episode Two, Portal, TF2) was planned, although it was later cancelled

This is kind of ridiculous. If you want a hard copy of the game, without the long download time guaranteed by using Steam, you have to buy the stuff that, most likely, you already have. The hell is Valve thinking?

Me Too! on

• DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This was discussed months ago when they announced it in the Steam/Source thread. The point is that having two versions of the game is confusing for people. The download won't be that long on Steam. You will be able to preload it a few days in advance I'm sure. Don't be such a fucking noob.

Drool on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    They are thinking smart.
    Less cost to a digital download than a physical copy. To install HL2 you HAVE to run steam and be connected to the internet so they know everyone who bought the original has those abilities. So, you see, smaller overhead = more monies.

Accualt on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    citation needed.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited July 2007
    citation needed.

Not really this is very old news if you keep up with Steam/HL:Episode 2 at all.

Also an interesting note. The Orange Box won't actually contain any disks. Just cards with CD Keys on them. You still have to do the " long download time guaranteed by using Steam" but you don't have the super convienent option of preloading. Buying from a store is for chumps these days.

Drool on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    citation needed.

Months ago

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not being a noob. I'm sitting here, waiting for Ep 1 to download, and it's taking for-fucking-ever. 90 minutes, and 35%. And since Episode 2 is going to be even bigger, guess how long that shit's going to take.

Also, didn't realize this had already been discussed, as I don't frequent G&T that much, and I just started playing this a few weeks ago.

Me Too! on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Orange Box is an amazing deal and it will have a very nice home in my 360.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Will all the games be on one disk?

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited July 2007
    It took like an hour and half for me to get Titant Quest the other day. That was a couple gigs I thought it went pretty fast. It does take some time, but is 90 minutes really "for-freaking-ever"?

Drool on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    I'm not being a noob. I'm sitting here, waiting for Ep 1 to download, and it's taking for-fucking-ever. 90 minutes, and 35%. And since Episode 2 is going to be even bigger, guess how long that shit's going to take.

Also, didn't realize this had already been discussed, as I don't frequent G&T that much, and I just started playing this a few weeks ago.

Good job on using the search function.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2007

No disk at all from what I heard.

Drool on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin, you will be able to pre-load all the new stuff at least a week before it's released. You'll be able to play at 12:01am the day of release, just like everyone was able to play HL2 the minute it was.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drool wrote: »

Uh...what?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

sorry, I ment for the 360 version

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can see this limiting sales somewhat. I'm sure there is a large audience who are using their parent's internet connection but don't have their own credit card. I remember my parents would NEVER let me use their card for "some stupid game" or some such. It's good to be grown up.

Darlan on
    edited July 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    I can see this limiting sales somewhat. I'm sure there is a large audience who are using their parent's internet connection but don't have their own credit card. I remember my parents would NEVER let me use their card for "some stupid game" or some such. It's good to be grown up.

But...these games are all rated M for Mature. Anyone who doesn't have a debit card probably isn't of legal age anyway.

Dusda on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    1.) There is no reason to buy the hard copy. All you're doing is buying the rights to it on Steam, with an offline installation. That's it. You can't play without going through Steam. Buy the game online, and burn the files to a CD if you really want. Steam even takes PayPal.

2.) They've said that if you buy the Orange Box and you already have some of the games, you'll be able to give away a copy of each of those games to friends.

Zek on
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want a physical copy of HL2: E2.

I got a physical copy of HL2: E1, and however shitty the packaging may have been, it was at least a physical copy.

I want the OPTION of having a physical copy of the game. I barely trust Steam as it is; if they lose my account, I have nothing to prove I even purchased the expansion in the first place.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2007
    Dusda wrote: »

But...these games are all rated M for Mature. Anyone who doesn't have a debit card probably isn't of legal age anyway.
    That hardly prevents much. Besides, there would be no box to see the M rating on anyways.

Edit: And I bet tons of 17/18 year olds still don't have credit cards, that's a bit young for "free" money for some.

Darlan on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want a physical copy of HL2: E2.

I got a physical copy of HL2: E1, and however shitty the packaging may have been, it was at least a physical copy.

I want the OPTION of having a physical copy of the game. I barely trust Steam as it is; if they lose my account, I have nothing to prove I even purchased the expansion in the first place.

Credit card statements.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited July 2007

Um, if your account, credit card, whatever email account you used, and their bazillion data redundancy centers all disappeared at once, then yea it could happen.

Dusda on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    It took like an hour and half for me to get Titant Quest the other day. That was a couple gigs I thought it went pretty fast. It does take some time, but is 90 minutes really "for-freaking-ever"?

Once again: 90 minutes for a third of it, roughly.
    Let's multiply that: 90 * 3 = 270. About 4-5 hours for me to get Episode 1. Now let's expand that to include the fact that 2 is going to be bigger.
    Probably just the difference in computers, but goddamn. I'm not looking forward to having to download it through Steam.

Me Too! on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Uh...what?

That's gonna be a bitch to get to play on my 360, then.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are people really that afraid of digital distribution? I much prefer having an electronic filing cabinet of my media and keys tied under one account, rather than piling all of that crap into my closet like the old days.

Steam has been relatively reliable and its speeds are typically blazing. I've been using it since it was an optional beta, and my only issue has been a lack of communication between a 3rd party's and Steam's support (when RO was released, they really bungled that.)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2007

Let's multiply that: 90 * 3 = 270. About 4-5 hours for me to get Episode 1. Now let's expand that to include the fact that 2 is going to be bigger.
    Probably just the difference in computers, but goddamn. I'm not looking forward to having to download it through Steam.

Oh man, you might have to keep your computer on all night.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    1.) There is no reason to buy the hard copy. All you're doing is buying the rights to it on Steam, with an offline installation. That's it. You can't play without going through Steam. Buy the game online, and burn the files to a CD if you really want. Steam even takes PayPal.

People want physical copies, dude. That's the reason.

Drez on
    edited July 2007

That hardly prevents much. Besides, there would be no box to see the M rating on anyways.

I...what? The ESRB rating is quite clearly stamped on the game's summary page in Steam. If a kid doesn't have a credit/debit card, he likely isn't old enough to legally purcahse the game anyway (that or he's a lazy fuck who doesn't have a bank account). There is nothing that keeps this game being any less accessable online versus off; underage people still have to have their parents buy it.

Dusda on
    edited July 2007

I...what? The ESRB rating is quite clearly stamped on the game's summary page in Steam. If a kid doesn't have a credit/debit card, he likely isn't old enough to legally purcahse the game anyway (that or he's a lazy fuck who doesn't have a bank account). There is nothing that keeps this game being any less accessable online versus off; underage people still have to have their parents buy it.

Or ask for the credit card with their chocolate milk.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited July 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

That and he can play the game long before the content is completely finished downloading. Seriously, Wiggin, get over it. You make it sound like getting a game off Steam requires running from bloodthirsty demons, uphill bothways, in the snow.

Dusda on
    edited July 2007
    Oh please. Debit cards are given at birth now.

Drez on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

People want physical copies, dude. That's the reason.

Then make a physical copy. There's no functional difference other than the pretty disc art, and hell Valve doesn't really even do that anymore IIRC.

Also, if you pre-order the game you'll be able to preload it. You'll be playing it faster if you get it online than in the store.

Zek on
    edited July 2007
    I can't believe that people honestly thing the M rating prevents kids from playing this stuff. I mean...really? Really? What, did your parents prevent you from watching R movies until you were 17?

Darlan on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I prefer not having a physical copy at this point. I'm more likely to lose a game than Steam is to catastrophically fail. Plus, it's better for the environment: no paper/plastic box, no paper manual, no plastic DVD. Digitial Distribution is the "green" option. :D

captaink on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That and he can play the game long before the content is completely finished downloading. Seriously, Wiggin, get over it. You make it sound like getting a game off Steam requires running from bloodthirsty demons, uphill bothways, in the snow.

Seriously. Do you never torrent anything? Have you never had a thing delivered from Amazon? I remember when I couldn't use Fedex for some game, and it took a month and a half to get to me. Steam is a fucking godsend.

Plus, I can surf for reviews and hopefully get a demo while thinking of a purchase. In EBStop I'm lucky if I get a salesperson to tell me that $50 is a great price for Diablo 1.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't care.

I'd slaughter little cute bunnies to get TF2 and Portal. So there.

Sheep on
    edited July 2007
    I can't believe that people honestly thing the M rating prevents kids from playing this stuff. I mean...really? Really? What, did your parents prevent you from watching R movies until you were 17?

I didn't really say that it did, only that it's not a problem if kids have age-related (lack of a debit/credit card) obstacles in the way. M for Mature should keep kids from obtaining content with that rating without their parent's permission. I honestly don't know why it doesn't, actually. I get carded for everything, and I'm almost 22.

Dusda on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I think you are missing the point. The point is, that for a kid to buy something with an M rating (or purchase a ticket for an R movie, etc) they need parental permission. So it dosen't matter that the kid dosen't have a credit card cause if the parent is ok with them playing the game, they will have a credit card.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007

I didn't really say that it did, only that it's not a problem if kids have age-related (lack of a debit/credit card) obstacles in the way. M for Mature should keep kids from obtaining content with that rating without their parent's permission. I honestly don't know why it doesn't, actually. I get carded for everything, and I'm almost 22.
    I guess my main point is that it's far easier for an credit card-less person to get their parent/older friend to get a game at Best Buy than to get them to hand out their credit card number online. I think the lack of a Black Box in stores really will prevent a lot of people from playing it, a separate argument from whether or not they should be.

Darlan on
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Um, if your account, credit card, whatever email account you used, and their bazillion data redundancy centers all disappeared at once, then yea it could happen.

My point of having a physical copy still stands. I like collecting games, and having their boxes displayed where my PC is. Collectors like doing two things:

1. Buying games.
    2. Showing said games off to other people.

There's no satisfaction for a collector if you buy the game but have no way to display it for other people to see.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    I have nothing to prove I even purchased the expansion in the first place.
    Credit card statements.

And the email with all the relevant info they send you with every purchase.

I just deleted Episode 1 and redownloaded it for shits and giggles. 1 megabyte/second.

What I'm trying to say here is that if my broadband connection were my penis, I'd point and laugh at you in the showers.

Echo on