As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

300 on Blu Ray / HD DVD Today

FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Didn't see a topic about this... and I only mention it because this is supposed to be the BIG SHOW OFF TITLE for the technology...

300 is in stores today, and I bought it at lunch. I watched about 1/2 of the flick.

I got the Blu Ray version, having had the PS3 for a whopping 3 days. I wanted Blu Ray because I don't have a Blu Ray disc yet, I have a nice stereo, and I have a 62" screen - the HDMI on the PS3 makes for an absolutely perfect picture in my short experience with the PS3.

I'm impressed, but mostly because I never saw the movie before. I expect that given the intentional "static-y-ness" of the movie that this isn't the title to show off with, as I had hoped. Nonetheless, I wholeheartedly recommend both the movie (HOW did I miss it in theaters??) and the HD version, should you have the equipment for it.

Does the title turn my opinion around on the tech? Naaaaah. It's still just overblown DVD, but it's nice that I know I'm seeing as close to the theater experience as is commercially available. Too bad I can't rip it to my media server though.

Want:
Lord of the Rings
Matrix

Do Not Want:
Click

Quote from a review:
"so expectations are understandably through-the-roof that this will be the demo disc for every self-respecting home theater enthusiast.

Well, I'm going to put on my flame-proof suit and say that because the film has been so intentionally processed and "degraded," its very nature just doesn't lend itself to the kind of truly eye-popping and ultra-realistic high-def that I've come to equate with the term reference quality. Yes, I know that this is the way the film is "supposed to look," but when you're dealing with a source that is so over-contrasted and "crushed down" -- not to mention intensely desaturated and laced with so much video noise that it seems like a swarm of mosquitoes has infested your television -- for me, the "wow!" factor is lessened considerably.

Warner presents both the HD DVD and Blu-ray versions with identical 1080p/VC-1 encodes in the film's original 2.40:1 projected aspect ratio, and if nothing else, this is a very accurate reproduction of the theatrical experience of '300' (at least the one I saw projected digitally at a flagship theater here in Los Angeles)."

Link to original review.

FatmanGames on

• RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn you americans, damn you all to hell!

RichardTauber on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007

This is not America! This is SPARTA!

And golly gosh this thread is pushing the bounds of G&T vs D&D.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pssh, take your 300.

You should be excited about Hot Fuzz.

Communist.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
    edited July 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

Nicely played indeed. I still wonder why europe gets assfucked :|

RichardTauber on
  • FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning pretty heavily on the G&T here, but I did mention:

merits of HDMI
    "reference titles"
    PS3

and alluded to post-processing effects.

All very geeky.

So, thread=yes?

FatmanGames on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    Pssh, take your 300.

Communist.

I have both in route to me from amazon.. what does that make me?

corin7 on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    corin7 wrote: »
    Pssh, take your 300.

Communist.

A filthy nuetral.

At least with enemies, you know where they stand.
    I'm picking up both this afternoon.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
    edited July 2007
    corin7 wrote: »
    Pssh, take your 300.

Communist.

nickfrost.jpg

Gay

RichardTauber on
  • PennywisePennywise Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am done with DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD. I want to be able to just download HD movies onto my PC and then view them on my TV. Anyone know the best way to do this? I know Market Place you can download movies but can you save them on your PC? I really want to see 300 in HD.

Pennywise on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pennywise wrote: »
    I am done with DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD. I want to be able to just download HD movies onto my PC and then view them on my TV. Anyone know the best way to do this? I know Market Place you can download movies but can you save them on your PC? I really want to see 300 in HD.

I know of no legal way to do this (with mainstream movies, I'm sure there are some indie film people and lots of movie trailers in HD that you can download legally), and we don't discuss illegal things here, so I'm afraid you're SOL. Edit: You can use the marketplace to download movies, but it's for a finite time (basically a rental, for a few days). You cannot save these to your computer or permanently to your 360. If they have introduced any movies that you can permanently buy, someone correct me please. Either way, they would stay locked to your 360.

I'm skipping 300 for now (I'll probably get it from Netflix to see if it's worth the HD-DVDness), but I've got Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz on the way from Amazon right now. If that makes me gay like that, then I don't wanna be straight!

Edit2: The titles I have been most pleased about recently were Lost in Translation and Meet Joe Black. I love both of those movies, and I think they looked great on HD-DVD. Mind you, I'm no reviewer, but I can say unequivocally that they both look way better than their DVD versions.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
    edited July 2007

Well, if you have a 360 and Media Center, there's a movie rental service in the Online Spotlight. I'm doubting that there are any HD titles.

Marketplace features only rentals of movies. Lame? CONFIRMED.

EDIT - removed even passing mention of "bad stuff".

The other hope is that you have TiVo 2 Go and a cable subscription which includes HBO-HD, etc. But that isn't really what you're talking about... So, pretty much you can't.

FatmanGames on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fatman makes a good point about TiVo, though. I think there is now an HD TiVo available, and I know that my local cable company (Time Warner Austin) has an HD-PVR box that is only like... $9/mo or something like that. The software sucks compared to a TiVo, but in terms of functionality, it's fine. You can record whatever you like, in HD, and you are constrained only by harddrive space in that box. It doesn't allow you to save anything off, but it might be close enough to what you're looking for, in terms of HD content you have a bit more control over.

Honestly, that's why I like HD-DVD. No matter what happens in the ultimate "format wars," I've got an HD-DVD player and movies that will keep working. I have control of the physical media and the method of playing it, and if I were to get another 360 addon (or standard BluRay/HD-DVD PC drive), I could play them on my PC as well.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Market place is supposed to be coming to PC at some point. Although given the rather shockingly poor support of the PC by microsoft, I really wouldn't hold my breath for video marketplace content.

That said, I'm still teetering on the point of adopting one of the formats. The HD-DVD add on has hit £100, but I'd rather have some sort of deal with free movies. The one in the states looks tempting. Also I've seen blu-ray drives for PCs for £150, and my local bb has a few blu-ray titles to rent. At the moment the price of the films and the quality of titles available leaves a hell of a lot to be desired.

Rook on
  • PanickdPanickd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was kind of wondering how 300 came to be regarded as the "must own" demo disc for HD when it was intentionally made to look "old". Now I know. Bravo! However I must still buy it and seeing as I don't own a PS3 or Bluray player it looks like I'll be doing the HD-DVD version. I'm ecstatic that Warner is putting out both formats though. This movie deserves to be seen as much as possible. It's not great in that classic sense but more in that "goddamn this movie is ass kicking cool" kinda sense.

Panickd on
    Truth is beautiful, without a doubt; but so are lies.
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well, if you have a 360 and Media Center, there's a movie rental service in the Online Spotlight. I'm doubting that there are any HD titles.

Marketplace features only rentals of movies. Lame? CONFIRMED.

EDIT - removed even passing mention of "bad stuff".

The other hope is that you have TiVo 2 Go and a cable subscription which includes HBO-HD, etc. But that isn't really what you're talking about... So, pretty much you can't.

The rental only thing is dumb but, hey, they have HD movies and TV shows available. TV Shows you actually purchase, btw, instead of just rent.

Accualt on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Netflix has a download service too. So you can legally do downloads for movies. It just takes a while and doesnt look so great.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Target's "exclusive" version includes a "300 movie download (full theatrical version) for PC or mobile device with exclusive “Making of 300” download, and over 90 minutes of thrilling extras on a bonus disc."

Best Buy includes a Spartan cat helmet so you can have cat fights with the Halo 3 one.

I bought the Blu-ray for my PS3 for $30*
    *why do I let Sony dry rape me?

MichaelLC on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I bought the HD DVD version for $35.
    The five dollars would piss me off if it wasn't for all of the extra content I get that Blu-Ray doesn't.
    I mean, seriously, that is a tone of extra content that Blu-Ray is missing out on.

Accualt on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was gonna pass over the Blu Ray version and get the Cat helm DVD edition today but by the time I hit best buy they were all gone. Got home and it was sold out online too. :(

I'll probably snag up the Blue Ray version sometime soon (target has the BD version for $25) as I haven't seen it yet (didn't see it at the theater). It will also be my first BD since getting the PS3.

I expect it to be a bit cleaner but like someone else said I feel that both BD and HD-DVD are just hobbyist/tech toy super versions of DVD and not as huge leap forward like VHS to DVD. I'm still amazed at how good some movies look on my HDTV while still on normal DVDs.

edit: Oh yeah I forgot about HD DVD having the extra features bah. I suppose I should get the HD drive for my 360 so I can have the best of both worlds. But TBH I'm still pretty happy with DVD.

powersurge on
    edited August 2007
    Well I watched it (the HD-DVD version) on a 52" LCD and I have to say, as impressive as the movie itself is, the HD versions bring the grain out a lot! And I realize that the grain is there intentionally but it almost seems overdone in the HD transfer. It's weird. Sometimes it looks like the movie is being shown over a big pit of oatmeal or something. I really didn't expect it to be that bad. I guess I never realized how much sharper the HD stuff is than the original prints.

Panickd on
  • UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I bought this the other day and it is by far the greatest HD-DVD that I have ever owned. That is all.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Got it with my Xbox add on yesterday.....The grain is jarring at first. But I REALLY like the picture in picture making of, that's an awesome feature I hope to see more of.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Got it with my Xbox add on yesterday.....The grain is jarring at first. But I REALLY like the picture in picture making of, that's an awesome feature I hope to see more of.

In HD-DVDs thats a relatively common feature. Its used better in some movies than in others. It's pretty good in 300 though.

Panickd on
  • NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    300 is in stores today, and I bought it at lunch. I watched about 1/2 of the flick.

I'm impressed, but mostly because I never saw the movie before.

My only question is: how/why exactly did you stop watching it halfway through on your first viewing? O_o

This Saturday we're having a pizza & beer night at my friends with HD-DVD 300 on his 60" Sony High Def screen. Heads are gonna fucking roll!

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm watching the picture-in-picture feature right now, and I gotta say it's really cool. The commentary is excellent, and it's really impressive to see just how much post-production was done. The Crush, in particular. Watching the scene as it was shot, with no grain or distortion, and watching the Crushed scene at the same time is very interesting.
    titties right now ;-)

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Watching it in a living room, even on HDDVD or Blu Ray will never match seeing it IMAX. That was really incredible.

bruin on
  • Tumbler 360Tumbler 360 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Picked up 300 from Fry's the other day on HD-DVD. 28.99 on sale.

Combo disk so I get to see how the DVD version compares. (I haven't yet)

Movie is fantastic, not as good as in the theatres in my opinion, I think it was just better sound there.

Best HD-DVD movie released to date.

Tumbler 360 on
  • stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The HD-DVD sound was phenomenal through my system, but this was a movie I went to in IMAX because it seemed to demand such a spectacle, and my home theater, as nice as it is, cannot compare to that experience.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »

I'm impressed, but mostly because I never saw the movie before.

My only question is: how/why exactly did you stop watching it halfway through on your first viewing? O_o

This Saturday we're having a pizza & beer night at my friends with HD-DVD 300 on his 60" Sony High Def screen. Heads are gonna fucking roll!

It was ridiculous to go back to work. I was geeked out all damn day. MISTAKE to start a movie like that during lunch.

FatmanGames on
    edited August 2007
    Does anyone know if there is any difference in the quality of HD-DVDs when played over the XBox 360s external drive vs a standalone HD-DVD player?

Panickd on
    edited August 2007
    Panickd wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any difference in the quality of HD-DVDs when played over the XBox 360s external drive vs a standalone HD-DVD player?

Yes, HDMI makes a difference in larger screen sizes. Also, early reviews focused on the lack of Dolby True HD sound, although this problem may have been solved with the latest update.

FatmanGames on
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    All this grain in 300 and other movies I've purchased (On both HD and Bluray), is making me think it's not worth it. Everyone knows about 300, but even Clerks 2 and House of Flying Daggers make me regret paying the premium for Bluray or HDDVD

SpikedFreak on
    edited August 2007
    All this grain in 300 and other movies I've purchased (On both HD and Bluray), is making me think it's not worth it. Everyone knows about 300, but even Clerks 2 and House of Flying Daggers make me regret paying the premium for Bluray or HDDVD

The difference being that the grain in 300 is intentionally introduced as a visual gimmick to give the film a graphic novel look while the grain in the other films you mentioned is just the HD bringing out whats present in the film stock. I saw House of Flying Daggers in HD and didn't think it looked that bad.

I love HD but I hate the prices they are charging for stuff. $220 for a single season of Star Trek?!?! Gimme a fucking break! I'll plop down $35 for a film on an HD format over the $15-20 to buy it on DVD but I'm not delving into the 3 figure arena for any movie or TV show. Christ, even the Bladerunner collectors edition thing thats due out in December is less than $100 and that's got something like 5 Discs worth of Bladerunner!

Panickd on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I almost feel like this is a tough spot to be in as a consumer. On the one hand, I really want an HDDVD player because it's cheaper and I'm still slightly bitter towards Sony. On the other hand, I can rent free Bluray movies from my work, PS3 is 500 dollars now, and it's very slightly favored to win. I think I would have bought a PS3 if I hadn't just bought a wii, but now I have to wait another few months and decide. Here's to hoping black friday has a nice sale on a player.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    This movie looks so fucking good on a nice Sony LCD with Bluray.

Urian on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Panickd wrote: »

The difference being that the grain in 300 is intentionally introduced as a visual gimmick to give the film a graphic novel look while the grain in the other films you mentioned is just the HD bringing out whats present in the film stock. I saw House of Flying Daggers in HD and didn't think it looked that bad.

I love HD but I hate the prices they are charging for stuff. $220 for a single season of Star Trek?!?! Gimme a fucking break! I'll plop down $35 for a film on an HD format over the $15-20 to buy it on DVD but I'm not delving into the 3 figure arena for any movie or TV show. Christ, even the Bladerunner collectors edition thing thats due out in December is less than $100 and that's got something like 5 Discs worth of Bladerunner!

I was just looking at that Bladerunner set. Kinda amused how both the Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions are 5 discs. Either way though, I think I'd only want the new cut (assuming they've actually improved it)

Rook on
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know this hasn't been said in this thread yet......

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!

KimFidler on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    this on DVD on a 60 inch screen looks sooooooo grainy, i know its supposed to. but shit, its really super grainy.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • the Professorthe Professor PONY ROMNEY DOES NOT CARE PONY ROMNEY WILL CUT YOUR FUNDINGRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KimFidler wrote: »
    THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!

TONIGHT WE DINE

IN HELL

the Professor on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Have any of you guys heard anymore news about that HDMI cable that was supposed to come out for the non Elite 360's?

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/676826/XMC_Cable_Will_Allow_HDMI_on_nonElite_360s.html

Bamelin on