As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcomic

2»

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Baldorage wrote: »
    Are you fucking kidding me hijinks? i realize this is an amateur job but you're a fucking moron.if you didnt notice in the first line of the comic, its about Resident Evil 4, if you haven't played Resident Evil 4 than you won't understand the joke. the virus in the game is called las plagas.

Actually it's more a matter of your story telling, art and writing being so horrible that your audience can't tell what the hell is going on.

Let's break this down:

Comic2-1.jpg

PANEL 1 (top left) : Okay it's a guy in a polo shirt and a... hobo... talking about Resident Evil for the Wii. They are standing on a downhill slope with squiggles and squares. Maybe those are TV Screens? Or boxes? Are they outside? It's very blue there.

PANEL 2 (top right): Now Jack Frost or maybe a zombie (wearing a sony t-shirt) is on fire, screaming about playstation. The T-shirt says he's a sony fan, so does he try and kill people who mention playstation? Maybe he's in hell. It's very red there.

PANEL 3 MAYBE (bottom left?): So now we're not really sure where to go. As a reader you'd move down to the yellow panel where his face is exploding. But that doesn't make any sense at all. So instead we'll move on to the bottom left panel, where it's blue again. There's no diagonal boxes for a background, so he might be in a slightly different place? No real way to tell. Polo dude is apparently sticking it to Sony by talking about the SixAxis, but that doesn't make sense since that's the PS3 controller, and so far only the PS2 was mentioned. The PS3 also doesn't have a Resident Evil game out yet, making this even more confusing.

PANEL 4 MAYBE (middle right): Okay, now the flames are gone, and zombie-guy has his head explode. The background has gone from red to yellow. I guess the Wii-mote blew his head up? Were they even in the same area?

PANEL 5: So now the zombie's head is... halfway exploded. Maybe those are tentacles that are keeping his eye in place? Did they survive the head explosion? And he's moved so he's in fron of polo shirt guy and mr. hobo. Polo guy seems to be doing something to him since he's waving the wiimote around, but he looks scared. "PLAGAS!... where'd you get that grenade?" So is Plagas the hobo dude? That could explain things. Maybe he's like "JOHN, WHERE'D YOU GET THAT GRENADE?" and he was afraid of the grenade explosion that wasn't drawn in for some reason. However hobo-dude is holding a blue something, looks like a pop can, but maybe that's the grenade? Does he have a second grenade? If it is the grenade, then why did the Zombie's head explode? Was that caused by the Wii-mote? If it was caused by the Wii-mote, how come it doesn't work on the tentacle-zombie-thing? Why does Hobo dude always have a grenade? Is it because he's a wild and crazy guy?

So what's the story here? Sony fans are zombies? They get exploded by Wiimotes? olol sony?

What the hell are you trying to say?

Brolo on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Actually, Plagas were the cause of the zombies in Resident evil 4, and when you shot a head off, they came out of the neck, as he's poorly shown.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Actually, Plagas were the cause of the zombies in Resident evil 4, and when you shot a head off, they came out of the neck, as he's poorly shown.

See, that right there is something that needs to be explained in the comic for it to make sense or have any context.
    Sumani wrote:
    During the reign of forty four times Emperor Hidjucama, the lords of the minor houses of the Omatu, the Xudumakal and the Hebatoki were summoned to the Holy City for an audience with the Warlord. The Omatu, knowing the Warlord to be allied with the Ebon Fist Party, decided they would present the Warlord with a woman of the Reed Life. The Xudumakal were richer however and decided they would buy the Warlord a fine wooden sword from the Cho-ja hive on the estates of the Kenu. But the Hebatoki paid the greatest price of the day and rode into the Warlord's estate astride a ferocious harulth. Immediately, the harulth consumed the Reed Life prostitute and began destroying the Warlord's estate. Using the blade given by the Xudumakal, he beheaded the beast but broke his blade in the process. When he had seen what he had become of his fine gifts, he exclaimed, "Turakamu be praised! The Emperor shall love his new shoes!

I mean this joke is hilarious if you played chapter three of Betrayal at Krondor and then ventured back north around Lamut. I assume everyone here has, right?

Brolo on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Twice.

Godfather on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Godfather wrote: »
    I didn't know Joel lived in Dallas.

That's cool I guess.
    Are you in Dallas, GF?

Also, this is now my favorite thread.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I didn't know Joel lived in Dallas.

That's cool I guess.
    Are you in Dallas, GF?

Also, this is now my favorite thread.

Houston.

I just thought it was the tits that there was another texan here.

Godfather on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Houston.

I just thought it was the tits that there was another texan here.
    I'm actually in a suburb called Little Elm which, oddly enough, is where Steve Kuntz... Scott Kurtz of PVP lives.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    so, in part two of the comic they watch the RE5 trailer and blow up themselves or what?

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    CamCam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, great comic! I just can't stop laughing! (At how bad it is)

Cam on
  • Options
    bearandkittenbearandkitten Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Never use Comic Sans ever.

bearandkitten on
  • Options
    JandissJandiss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This thread is great. I only wish the original comic was not taken down from photobucket so I could see it. I have been looking for inspiration to ingest rat poison.

Jandiss on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Alright, somebody needs to present me with a reason why this guy got nothing but shit from the get go in this thread.

Grifter on
  • Options
    JandissJandiss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    well I just found this thread today Grifter but I would guess it started when he didn't post art. Then continued when he didn't fix his post by posting art. Then didn't respond to the people that actually tried to help him and instead tried to fight back when people didn't like his comic. Honestly tho I would not be surprised if he never comes back. I didn't get to see the actual comic but I got a good idea of it from Rolo's description and moog parody. *shrug*

Jandiss on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jandiss wrote: »
    well I just found this thread today Grifter but I would guess it started when he didn't post art. Then continued when he didn't fix his post by posting art. Then didn't respond to the people that actually tried to help him and instead tried to fight back when people didn't like his comic. Honestly tho I would not be surprised if he never comes back. I didn't get to see the actual comic but I got a good idea of it from Rolo's description and moog parody. *shrug*

I've read this thread through three times and I don't think that your description is very accurate.

Grifter on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Have to agree with Grifter here. Noone really explained to him that we don't like links ... the pisstaking started almost immediately. I think i would have reacted just as defensively in the face of that onslaught!

Lly on
  • Options
    UncleSamUncleSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wasn't this the third "hay look at webcomic" thread in about an hour? Pretty crappy excuse, but people gave him some honest crits after about a page of random chat and hate.

UncleSam on
    SteamID : sammer105
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, let's get something straight right now. We're not here to pat each other on the ass. I think we all know that. We're not here to be some newb's best friend either. Everyone definitely knows that. What we need to remember is that we are here to help people. The first course of action that we should all be taking is to make sure that people get the right guidance. If this is a link to the rules, questions or doodles threads then so be it. If this is a regular member telling a newb to post actual art then so be it. If this is honest but harsh critique then so be it. However, I do not like to see a bunch of self ingratiating ass sucker sitting around giving each other trademarked oral sex. There was no reason to be a bunch of cock stoves in this scenario. The next time that I see this sort of behavior without a valid reason, you will see a fuck ton of infractions handed out.

Grifter on
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    didnt get a chance to see the comic but...self ingratiating ass sucker, trademarked oral sex, cock stove, thanks grifter, you've just made my day and increased my vocabulary at the same time! =D

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    CamCam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I... Didn't even know those phrases existed.

Cam on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    Alright, somebody needs to present me with a reason why this guy got nothing but shit from the get go in this thread.

Because it was a shitty sitewhore comic that was so far gone from the fundimentals of touching pencil to paper that the best advice would quite literally have been 'learn to draw!'

Seriously, it was one of those comics where the author asks for any "Tips, tricks and pointers" that it would be less laborous to try and teach someone how to control involuntary breathing habits for each breath for each second of each day than it would be to start picking apart whats wrong with that comic, what needs to be fixed--the fundimentals of those fixes and explaining the proper execution of said fixes. Couple that with the content of the comic (vidya vidya lol) and the effort becomes a matter of input vs. output.

We've got a lot of talented cats around here who know there shit, but c'mon, we're not miracle workers.

That being said, this isn't aimed at undermining what Grif has stated. There's a fine line between what we do here and what is just plain bad form.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Grifter wrote: »

Because it was a shitty sitewhore comic that was so far gone from the fundimentals of touching pencil to paper that the best advice would quite literally have been 'learn to draw!'

That's pretty much it, yeah. Like I said before, I don't shit on people's stuff if they follow the rules and aren't being asses. I've offered sincere advice if someone genuinely seems to want it and I have anything worthwhile to say. But this guy was a dick - not only did he NEVER post any art (the rules state that as plainly as can be, and if you've actually lurked and read threads, you know that's how it goes), but he took the art off Photobucket, meaning nobody could look at it at ALL. And the above claims that he was trying to defend his art against attacks while not responding to actual crits.

So he was a non-attention-paying, no-reading brat with a bad "take my ball and leave" attitude. The question I would ask is why, if this thread is so objectionable, has it survived for three pages?

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    was he really that bad? i mean the first page of responses weren't even crits, just flames, is it really any wonder why he reacted as he did?

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    We're not discussing the next Warren Ellis here... the guy made a comic about Sony Sony LOL! This is just social Darwinism at work.

• Options
    edited August 2007
    u know what? i hate you, i had to google both of those bombshells you decided to drop in your happy little post and i still dont think i know wtf your talking about.

but i conscent, maybe his comic was somewhat painful ( i only saw multimoog's lovely rendition) and its not like i'm saying we should jerk the guy off or anything, its just that a page full of flames right off the bat is a bit much, isn't it?

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's ok if you hate me, but what in blazes are you talking about "googling bombshells"?

• Options
    edited August 2007
    warren ellis + social darwinism. look, i'm sorry, i'm not that smart, all i saw in your post was

"we're not discussing the next someone you should know...This is just a term you've heard before but never thought to learn the definition of at work."

see my confusion?

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    warren ellis + social darwinism. look, i'm sorry, i'm not that smart, all i saw in your post was

"we're not discussing the next someone you should know...This is just a term you've heard before but never thought to learn the definition of at work."

see my confusion?
    Hehe, I am the Great Educator.

As for a page full of flames, look a little closer. The very first post was this:
    Haha! It's very (not) funny.
    You may not like it, but that's an opinion of the comic, plain and simple. Hell, I'd even be willing to go so far as to say that was some staight up blunt advice telling him it's bad. It was followed up by Bombsy just being Bombsy and then this:
    Saved wrote: »
    Your comic is bad and you should feel bad.
    Not very constructive, but it's another blunt opinion. After that the thread turned into 9 consecutive posts having little to absolutely no regard to the OP, and of those 9 only a few could marginally be described as flaming.

Moog picks up the slack with his comic edit:
    multimoog wrote: »
    Fixed your comic, man

Comic2-1copy.jpg

EDIT: There should at least be SOME art in this thread.
    Again, harsh, maybe? Well ok, definitely, but he also pointed out some of the severe problems of this "comic". That's followed up with one sardonic post and a sardonic reply by the OP and then more blunt but honest advice by Yak, and then the rebound/assist with more blunt honesty from Zeromous. Neither of which was flaming. Moog slips into Robocop mode for a moment and then NakedZerg hits the nail on the goddamn head:
    dude no one is leaving you "tips" because there's so much wrong. but here' you go.
    colors- WAY too saturated
    layout- awful just awful, and hard to follow
    art- not very good
    concept- 2 guys talking about video games...have we seen this before?
    the joke- (clearly on us) and not funny
    lens flare (NO! BAD!)
    backgrounds...seem to be some scralled lines.

its just..it's.....it's just not good. i'm sorry.
    The final four posts of the first page amount to basically white noise. So I call booly on the claim that this comic was met with nothing but flames from the get-go. Don't ever make me have to do that again. :P

• Options
    edited August 2007
    O_O

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    When a man lights a fire of procrastination you're not suppose to fan the flames!

• Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wow... so, can I hire you to be my Internet Lawyer?

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm afraid it would be unethical of me to accept payment. Now, stand back citizen, I must be off--whooooooosh!

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, so now that I've over-established that I don't think the first page of this thread contained out-and-out flaming, let's examine what it did contain.

I'm not going to go post by post again, but starting from the first couple posts (which generally set the tone of the thread) we find this:
    Haha! It's very (not) funny.
    Saved wrote: »
    Your comic is bad and you should feel bad.

Blunt, and honest, yes, but being blunt with your honesty is pointless unless you follow it up with something constructive. Otherwise, you're just being an asshole. Now I don't think anyone was really tragically over the line in this thread, but the underscored fact remains that we're here--as Grif points out--to foster a constructive enviroment, not a descrtuctive one.

There are plenty of legitimate threads that come through where the OP deserves the abuse... from now on we call that Neokinging a thread. Kinda like in checkers, only more obtuse.

So after some consideration I'm going to have to agree with Grif in saying that I think some of us need to reel it in a little, myself included. I know threads like these seem impossible to give any actual advice on because there is so much fundimentally wrong, but I think that point can be made without coming across as a douche bag.

As a happy little reminder, here's a fantastic little tutorial written ages ago by a little red ghost.
    Constructive Criticism by BLINKY

• Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sorry for being ass-holish, but I legitimately couldn't think of a way to improve it besides learn to draw. And Write. It's just that far-gone.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
This discussion has been closed.